Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

BHP required for 'normal' riding

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:58 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Chickenstrip, is partly on the mark too with his point about depending on when where and how you ride and how many bikes you have or can justify to own.

Im a silly person for my age, always will be and as such I only want silly bikes generally. I would like different things on different rides and for different types of riding. Id like a big 130bhp+ naked with an engine over 1100cc for the easy big torque lazy rides.

I'd also like a 125 or 200cc bike with over 30bhp for local lanes and pratting about round town on.

But I'd also like a relaxed 10-12bhp bike or scooter that is basic simple and understressed and one where you can go WOT almost all the time, and never top about 60mph too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Street Triple is close to being a perfect road bike imo. If the seat was more comfortable (not hard to fix), and it had reasonable wind protection, I think it would suit single-bike ownership even more than my Fazer, which can be a bit of a handful in the tighter twisty stuff if you start to get enthusiastic with the throttle.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:43 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
The Street Triple is close to being a perfect road bike imo. If the seat was more comfortable (not hard to fix), and it had reasonable wind protection, I think it would suit single-bike ownership

I had one and agree, you could cruise about with surprising economy (sad? the MT has made me appreciate fuel range) or use all of it's power enjoying the induction roar and handling without things getting too serious. Mine was the R with the better brakes and suspension, a worthy upgrade if you are going to ride it hard.

The MT-10 is a 160bhp/80Lb:Ft beast, it is more demanding than the STR as if you abuse the throttle in the first 3 gears, 4 if you hit a bump then the front wheel is up, show it a dry road and many many lols are had...

Then again, I laughed my ass off trying to keep up with my mighty10 on a friends Versys 650, there's a lot to be said about pasting the crap out of a lower powered bike, but having all that torque just waiting for the command is a nice feeling (probably why I drive a Diesel cage, 270 Lb:Ft at 2K rpm, Me-gusta)

Ideal horsepower? Who knows!

It's a subjective thing, some are perfectly happy chugging about on an Enfield with 20 ish bhp, others like 150+ even on a touring bike like the Multistrada 1200.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:47 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
The Street Triple is close to being a perfect road bike imo. If the seat was more comfortable (not hard to fix), and it had reasonable wind protection, I think it would suit single-bike ownership even more than my Fazer, which can be a bit of a handful in the tighter twisty stuff if you start to get enthusiastic with the throttle.

Gel seat + flyscreen?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 00:49 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't commute with less than 100 bhp...

There again, I'm about to be banned so make whatsoever you want from that.

chickenstrip wrote:

Like the Sprint, then?

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:14 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

chickenstrip wrote:

Like the Sprint, then?

Not really. The Fazer and Sprint both have weight against them in comparison. A large part of why I said the Street Triple, is because it is light and easy to manage. Also, even after more powerful fare, I didn't really find it lacking that badly in this respect either. The lower power figure made it more manageable on those gnarly roads - or would have if the suspension hadn't been so feckin solid on my one. As it was, with better quality suspension added, the Fazer made up a good deal of ground there. But upgrade the Striple's similarly, and you'd easily claw back the advantage.

And @M.C: a fly screen? Really?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:19 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Kwakkasaggy H2 with a measly 74bhp should sort out any of those doubters who scoff at sub-100 figures.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:42 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mentalboy wrote:
A Kwakkasaggy H2 with a measly 74bhp should sort out any of those doubters who scoff at sub-100 figures.

Dunno, mine had considerably more than that Laughing

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:02 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going down to 15hp soon out of choice for the daily run (better fuel economy). Though even on the Cg a few years ago now I almost had 3 points just in a 30 zone.

mentalboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:25 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
mentalboy wrote:

Dunno, mine had considerably more than that Laughing

Ah yes, I forget the classic 2 stroke triple widowmaker from the 70's has morphed into a 'same as every other 4 stroke 4 pot road racer'. I believe you are technically referring to the H2R?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:14 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Street Triple is literally the perfect road bike... But I felt limited when playing with the straight line heroes and maxing at like 130 Laughing

Aside from that, even if it had 30hp less, I'd have one as a 2nd bike.

F1.ash
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 09:18 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The test ride went well, as expected a very different experience and as hoped, the bike was not short of character Very Happy . Some have made the point about it the engines characteristics being part of the equation ans this is an appropriate observation in the case of this bike.
It's a simple bike made with good quality and a nicely engineered parts, this also appeals to me. Shaft drive also seems to have an immediacy about it which compliments the V twin characteristics and I'll enjoy zero maintenance on this as a daily ride which is going to get wet and filthy regularly. The substantial rear fender also kept all the muck of the road off me. CMW got a nasty looking bike back in return Shocked Rolling Eyes
I believe it's what I've been looking for and I reckon it'll do me well.

Thanks for the contributions here, it turned out to be an interesting thread Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:17 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Street Triple is literally the perfect road bike... But I felt limited when playing with the straight line heroes and maxing at like 130 Laughing

Aside from that, even if it had 30hp less, I'd have one as a 2nd bike.

Most of my riding was done alone, and I knew the Fazer was better for straight line warp speed stuff, so I tended to take the Striple to twisty routes. Sure I saw 140 on the clock on a few occasions, but don't know how accurate the clocks were at those speeds.

mentalboy wrote:
Ah yes, I forget the classic 2 stroke triple widowmaker from the 70's has morphed into a 'same as every other 4 stroke 4 pot road racer'. I believe you are technically referring to the H2R?

https://i1291.photobucket.com/albums/b550/nicknicklxs/dencoh2c001_zps5be04723.jpg

Denco tuned Mr. Green

But I'm not sure you'd describe the H2R as "same as every other 4 pot 4 stroke road racer". But then, I've never ridden a bike with a supercharger.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 11:44 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

F1.ash wrote:
The test ride went well, as expected a very different experience and as hoped, the bike was not short of character Very Happy .

They say Guzzi's build charecter too....
F1.ash wrote:
It's a simple bike made with good quality and a nicely engineered parts, this also appeals to me. Shaft drive also seems to have an immediacy about it which compliments the V twin characteristics

You mean, perverse, contrary, and slightly unstable? I'd tend to agree...

Snowie christened her's "Weeble", as in weebles wobble but they dont fall down... but for some reason, it always conjors images in my head of Freddie Mercury wielding a Hoover in "I want to Break Free' Video... but with the sound-track of "Fat-Bottom-Girls" instead!!!!

Yeah.... Guzzi's can engender this kind of mental abhoration......

F1.ash wrote:
It's a simple bike made with good quality and a nicely engineered parts, this also appeals to me.

Err..... I'm a little sanguine about some of that suggestion.... but err... yeah.... Tonti's master-piece.... the small-block guzzi it IS actually a very ingenious bit of design.

The V50 motor, making 100bhp/liter was/is still, a little gem, and an incredible feat for it's day, to do that with push-rods!!!

The original V50 series then packed that motor into the 'bridge' chassis, that used the engine/transmission/swing-arm as a stressed member; it's a bike in two halves... you don't drop the engine, the top and front lifts off it! But, all in, it made for a very light, very stiff package...

Like the push-rod motor, it made the most of very little technology, and tipped in all up at the 160Kg mark, with handling way out of proportion to the acronyms it didn't have to blazon the body-work it didn't have, from simple and effective 'damping'... and a rather hard ride..... and seat....

In it's day, the V50 was a little corker, and I observed a local girl frequently stuff it to the lads on eLCies.... especially on the twisties, despite being down on power and up on weight, and having a 'tourer' shaft drive.....

Back to the 'nature' of the power delivery again, significantly; those 50odd (and some say they are VERY odd!) horses, showing that its not so much how many horses you got, but how many you can harness to the cart; and the little Guzzi motor has a lot of area-under-the-graph, and makes a lot more of cylinder pressure to vary motive force on the throttle rather than the revs, so you can put a lot more power to the road, a lot more of the time... if you wish.... which little lady of the 80's liked to do.

Guzzitisti say you need to employ the italian-cart-horse correction factor to quoted Guzzi power figures, and multiply by about 1.5 to get an equivalence to Japanese Pit-Ponies..... and it's probably not so far off....... Snowie's 50bhp V75, practically packs not far off the punch my 75bhp CB-~Seven-Fifty does up to illegal speeds.

F1.ash wrote:
I'll enjoy zero maintenance on this as a daily ride which is going to get wet and filthy regularly

Err... yeah, but, no but, yeah, but, no, BUT!!!!! Lol.

Beware CGitus, LOW maintenence is NOT 'no' maintenance.

See Snowie's Old Guzzi's Dont Die! / Strada Salvation thread. She acquired hers as it had smasshed its swing-arm from that 'belief'.

Shaft drives were often critasised when the V50 was launched for being heavy and sapping power; they usually ran 'wet', a leg of the swing-arm full of oil, the shaft running down the middle. The V50 and derivatives run 'dry', like a modern front-wheel-drive car; the CV joints at either end just packed with graphite grease.

V50 uses cast ali swing arm, that did a lot to keep un-sprung mass down for starters; the shaft then runs 'dry', to save filling it with oil.

The UJ at the gearbox end, is almost a sealed for life affair; they do last well, but they dont last forever, and they are rather effof expensive and demand the price of ALL the chains the bike hasn't been given to replace, when needed.

Had some more esoteric suggestiuons chucked at us, about drilling the UJ spider to take greace nipples, or preiodically hot dipping the whole asembly in molten graph-grease, to prolong UJ life.. which might make it not a lot lower maintenence than a chain, by the time you have got at the shaft to do that!

But its the other end, at the bevel housing where the shaft 'slides'; for and aft in its socket, as the swing arm lifts and falls, you DO need to give it preiodic grease, it does not get any oil from the bevel box... which ISTR also takes a more obscure grade of hypoid oil, but still.

That said, that shaft is on the whole LOW maintenance if not no maintenance.... but the bike as a whole ISN'T!

Its a Guzzi!

And its ITALIAN!

They are sort of an Italian Built BMW..... long before Aprillia started making them and giving them a Propeller-Badge...

The reliability is all relative, and they are pretty solid and tutonic in design.... but 'finish' is something a lot more questionable, and some bits of them are rather hit and miss.... like brakes and electrics!

Overall, they tends to demand as much or more maintenance as a Japanese bike.... Snowie has certainly spent a lot more time working on hers over the last couple of years than I have the Honda..... and it's certainly given a lot more niggles, like the CDi unit deciding to randomly flake out, and cast brake discs going orange over-night, and things like that.

Perversely as a daily-rider, they actually stand a better chance of not giving so much grief, they don't like to not be used, and use keeps things like the cast discs swept and the calipers clear, and little jobs are more likely to raise thier heads and get done when needed...

But still, they DO need a reasonable amount of little & often attention; remember essentially this is a 40 year old design, and adding EFI and ABS and other TLA's cant hide that!

As said, they say Guzzi's have and build character!!! lol!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:48 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a bloke commuting to work on one of them dull grey H2R things. I guess that the bonus of riding one to work is that when you come out the place at the end of the day and see that face looking at you, it would make you feel instantly better about how your own face looks in Comparison, even if your a real ugly son of a bitch.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Yes? Mine came with a fairing thingy and screen on (factory option), although it's currently off the bike.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:09 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

Yes? Mine came with a fairing thingy and screen on (factory option), although it's currently off the bike.

If you're referring to what I think you are, mine had it too. I took it on the motorway on a couple of occasions, just a couple of junctions, and can't say I thought it had much practical effect.

adengtg
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 19:08 - 11 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my opinion, a 125cc (around 15HP) isnt enough to keep me entertained that much. anything over 250cc should be fine as you wont have any troubles getting up to speed or climbing hills and that.

JAMSXR
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me it’s 150BHP at the rear wheel and 90+ ft/lb. I’m no hero but this gives me 1 bike to do everything (I would love to have a fleet of bikes but that’s no possible).

I love small capacity 2 strokes and screaming triples, but there is a time and a place, they need plenty of input to get the most from them. As I’ve got older I’ve become more lazy, and spades of power and torque bring maximum enjoyment.
Honda SFX50 > Aprilia SR125 > Aprilia RS125 > Honda RFV400 > K4 GSXR600 > KTM Duke > C1H 636 > K3 GSXR1000 > Aprilia RSV-R > Triumph Street Triple R > Ducati 899 Panigale > Aprilia Tuono 1100 > Triumph Daytona 675R > KTM SuperDuke 1290 2.0

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:03 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

JAMSXR wrote:
150BHP at the rear wheel.

How often do you hit 10,000rpm on a 150bhp+ bike in "normal" riding?

JAMSXR wrote:
s I’ve got older I’ve become more lazy, and spades of power and torque bring maximum enjoyment.

Power, or torque? Yes, Tef, we know.

Maybe you'd be happier with a Harley. Whistle

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:18 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My allegedly 46bhp at the crank XV535 found full throttle a lot in normal riding. Would sit at motorway speeds and cope with full luggage and 2-up, but didn't really have enough punch to make an assertive transition from 56mph between HGVs into the outside lane in busy traffic, but would do short sliproads such as those on the A1 reasonably well.

Having said that, the same manoeuvre in a 55bhp Polo or worse an A1 short sliproad is utterly terrifying. I think they both have a similar claimed top speed give or take a handful of mph, as by that point they're dealing with similar aero drag.

A 78 bhp or so of bandit 600 is enough to deal assertively with motorway traffic 2-up with 3 45 litre givi boxes. More than enough. It's always had enough for a swift and assertive overtake. <airquote>Race</airquote> headers seem to drop out some of the smoothness across 4000-6000 rpm and there's a noticeable lurch forward as it finds the still quite wide powerband. I'm not convinced there is more power as I really don't get to hit 1100rpm at full throttle that often. It's got enough to not be constantly stretching the throttle cable asking for more as I was with 125s, the xv535 and my shit car.

Certainly a pre-vtech VFR800 has plenty (don't actually know how much) and whilst one is noticeably quicker than a bandit it's not going to get away on a public road unless you're risking an instant ban or jailtime. A 98 R1 is pretty much wasted on the road and whilst part of me wants to play with a superbike I think it would be wasted if it didn't see many trackdays.

There is, however, a lot to be said for how the power is delivered. Flatish torque curves and linear power is easy to ride and frequently cited as an ideal, but it's BORING. On stock pipes the blandit picks up nicely at 4000 rpm and keeps on going to a wheezy 11000 rpm or so without much of a rush. I'm skeptical of the 'adds 10bhp' claim of my cheap aftermarket exhaust system, but it drops some of the smooth and bland for a bit of a surge. It's enough to feel fun but is easily avoided in the rain. A big lumpy twin with peak torque at fairly low revs is a lot of fun at lower speeds, but needs a bit of respect in slippery conditions and on a short bike means easy wheelies. The 535, to it's credit, was stupid irresponsible fun when you got the rear wheel spinning up a bit and pegs scraping. It wasn't fast but it could be fun. The VFR I borrowed belongs in the same camp as the bandit, smooth and well mannered, it didn't really rouse my inner hooligan despite speed creeping up some. The R1 I mentioned appeared to have adequate pottering about torque and was well behaved until about 8000 rpm where it reared up and lurched towards the horizon with much enthusiasm, but that mighty top end rush came with the price of naughty speeds. I know i've not ridden a really modern sportsbike but I can't really justify owning anything much quicker.

I conclude 75-100 bhp is plenty adequate for the road, be it from a big lump with lots of low down torque for cruiser-posing or comfortable cruising or something smaller that delivers it with a bit of a top end rush. If two-up and luggage at motorway speed isn't a priority then anything in the "restrictable to A2" bracket it plenty adequate, but native A2 and the old 33bhp limit are into the "riding a small bike hard" territory, which is not everyone's cup of bovril. I should probably add that I'm 6' and thereabouts 100kg kitted up so anyone with more of a racing snake physique may find similar results at a lower power output.

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:40 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

Not really. The Fazer and Sprint both have weight against them in comparison. A large part of why I said the Street Triple, is because it is light and easy to manage.

My Fazer is 207kg wet. The Striple is 212kg wet. Is it the Striples additional 42bhp which makes it more 'manageable'?
CM125 X|GZ125 X|Cagiva Elefant X|GL1200 ✓|Aprilia Classic X|GSX400T X|Kymco Hipster ✓|Kymco Zing X|XV535 X|VL750P X|FZ6 ✓|FJ1100 X|Desperado ✓|Countless Chinese imports ✓|Rialto Trike ✓|Countless forgotten rides

Alex A
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:44 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMadRatter wrote:
The Striple is 212kg wet.

It's not. It's about 180kg wet depending on the specific model/year. It's about as light as any supersport 600.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:46 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheMadRatter wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
Street Triple

Are we having a Street/Speed moment?

TheMadRatter
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:54 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex A wrote:
TheMadRatter wrote:

It's not. It's about 180kg wet depending on the specific model/year. It's about as light as any supersport 600.

Yeah... 182kg...

Borg wrote:
Got it on in one

Don't worry, I've got my wake up juice in my hand now...
CM125 X|GZ125 X|Cagiva Elefant X|GL1200 ✓|Aprilia Classic X|GSX400T X|Kymco Hipster ✓|Kymco Zing X|XV535 X|VL750P X|FZ6 ✓|FJ1100 X|Desperado ✓|Countless Chinese imports ✓|Rialto Trike ✓|Countless forgotten rides
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 36 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7