Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Recommend me an audio interface/DAC for some monitors

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:16 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Recommend me an audio interface/DAC for some monitors Reply with quote

Looking to connect a computer up to some studio monitors. Last time I did this I just used a 3.5mm jack to XLR's directly but I had noise issues.

This time I want to put something in there to get rid of the noise and also add an external volume control knob.

Does anyone know what I need?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AngelGrinder
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:56 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.vdctrading.com/shop/patching/interspace-balancing-boxes/interspace-industries-pc-balancing-box/

This is the industry standard (and slightly expensive) option. Won't give you volume control through.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:24 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Thumbs Up Karma
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:45 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's fine, as long as the audio output on your computer is up to it; that could be fairly noisy itself so whatever you do for unbalanced to balanced is still going to have noise.

I use a PreSonus Inspire 1394 to get past that issue (plus high impedance input for guitars), but as it is firewire, discontinued and doesn't have an output gain knob on it it's probably not a good recommendation.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:22 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're probably aware that studio monitors are not designed to flatter the sound like consumer speakers. I'm guessing you went for powered monitors and not passives?

XLR are usually balanced and 3.5mm mini jacks are generally unbalanced. Unbalanced is fine for most uses and balanced for longer cable lengths. Your noise issues could possibly have been grounding issues. Try and make the speakers and interface(amp) share the same power outlet.

£35 Behringer U-Phoria UMC22. If you require cables... 2 XLR to 1/4" TRS jack.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:14 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bamt wrote:
That's fine, as long as the audio output on your computer is up to it; that could be fairly noisy itself so whatever you do for unbalanced to balanced is still going to have noise.

I use a PreSonus Inspire 1394 to get past that issue (plus high impedance input for guitars), but as it is firewire, discontinued and doesn't have an output gain knob on it it's probably not a good recommendation.

Hmmm. Yes it seems a DAC is the best option for this sort of issue. The output gain control is an added bonus really, not 100% necessary.

Howling Terror wrote:
You're probably aware that studio monitors are not designed to flatter the sound like consumer speakers. I'm guessing you went for powered monitors and not passives?

XLR are usually balanced and 3.5mm mini jacks are generally unbalanced. Unbalanced is fine for most uses and balanced for longer cable lengths. Your noise issues could possibly have been grounding issues. Try and make the speakers and interface(amp) share the same power outlet.

£35 Behringer U-Phoria UMC22. If you require cables... 2 XLR to 1/4" TRS jack.

I haven't actually bought anything yet but I am looking at pair of Behringer B1031A active monitors. I owned some B2031A and thought for the price they were excellent. Apparently they were copies of an older much more expensive monitor and so were a great pick for that sort of price level.

What I really want is some MSP7's but they are wayyy to expensive.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used the B2031A (Genelec copy alert! Laughing ) and yeah great monitors but by eck you need a big well treated room and a detached property...they were just too loud to be useful for me.

I use some yamaha MSP5a and IIRC the msp7a share the same titanium tweeter...you may find them a little tiring to listen to for long periods.

The B1031A (KRK copy alert) well like I mentioned if you think your environment can handle 8" woofers then I'm sure they'll be great...just keep those suckers away from corners.

FWIW.
I prefer some wharfedales for pleasure listening bi-wired to a Behringer A500 amp. That amp is going on 15yrs old and used daily and if it's bridged can run upto 500 watts. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:41 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

FWIW.
I prefer some wharfedales for pleasure listening bi-wired to a Behringer A500 amp. That amp is going on 15yrs old and used daily and if it's bridged can run upto 500 watts. Laughing

I am open to any suggestions really. Which Wharfdales do you use?

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 09 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wharfedale diamond 9.1. If your room is say 20 long and 12' wide you may want the bigger ones. A smaller room and those 9.1s are superb.

I also like the Dali zensor speakers. Spent many many hours listening to those at an old friends house and they are a beautiful rich sounding speaker. He was using a Cambridge amp to run them.

The above are not bank busters so you could get a full setup at a reasonable price. I use QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable but that's because it was given to me. Any good cable so long as it isn't thin weedy bell-wire stuff will do.

BTW Tell your brother I asked of him, tell him Pat says he rides like a tit and I miss him.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:41 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Wharfedale diamond 9.1. If your room is say 20 long and 12' wide you may want the bigger ones. A smaller room and those 9.1s are superb.

I also like the Dali zensor speakers. Spent many many hours listening to those at an old friends house and they are a beautiful rich sounding speaker. He was using a Cambridge amp to run them.

The above are not bank busters so you could get a full setup at a reasonable price. I use QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable but that's because it was given to me. Any good cable so long as it isn't thin weedy bell-wire stuff will do.

BTW Tell your brother I asked of him, tell him Pat says he rides like a tit and I miss him.

Do you use a sub wired in parallel with those or no?

I like the idea of a separate amp tbh but I want to remove my computer audio output if possible and use an external DAC. Should I go DAC to amp to passives or am I misunderstanding how to use a DAC?

Also I don't have a brother... Confused Confused

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:13 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No sub for a couple of reasons. I listen to music upstairs (window rattle etc etc) and the 9.1 put out enough bottom end for the seating position which is 1.2m away.

So if I understand correctly you've got a computer and you want to run the sound from it into an interface via usb and then either to an amp and passive speakers or directly from the interface to studio monitors and you want volume control.

well going for PC>>>Interface>>>Monitors you'll have vol control either from the interface itself or the software that often comes with these things. (I'm leaving out the part that powered monitors also have vol controls)

Or

PC>>>Interface>>>Amp>>Speakers.
Again vol control using software...on the interface itself and the amp will have vol controls.

Pedantically speaking all music listened from a computer or phone is DAC.

The benefit of using an amp is that it will have inputs for other peripherals and outputs for a 2.1 or 5.1 or indeed 7.1....Very little media is produced correctly for true surround and even fewer users set them up as intended.

A good speaker will negate any reason for a sub woofer and a good sub woofer costs a lot of money...and unless it is a 12" woofer it ain't really a sub....and even if it is 12" woofer if it can't make 30Hrtz it ain't a sub...And even if so n so manufacturer say it's down to 20Hrtz I bet they're fibbing. Laughing

My mistake about thinking you had a bro....Hmmm must think ...Brother of Blackwolf..hmmm

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:32 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
No sub for a couple of reasons. I listen to music upstairs (window rattle etc etc) and the 9.1 put out enough bottom end for the seating position which is 1.2m away.

So if I understand correctly you've got a computer and you want to run the sound from it into an interface via usb and then either to an amp and passive speakers or directly from the interface to studio monitors and you want volume control.

well going for PC>>>Interface>>>Monitors you'll have vol control either from the interface itself or the software that often comes with these things. (I'm leaving out the part that powdered monitors also have vol controls)

Or

PC>>>Interface>>>Amp>>Speakers.
Again vol control using software...on the interface itself and the amp will have vol controls.

Pedantically speaking all music listened from a computer or phone is DAC.

The benefit of using an amp is that it will have inputs for other peripherals and outputs for a 2.1 or 5.1 or indeed 7.1....Very little media is produced correctly for true surround and even fewer users set them up as intended.

A good speaker will negate any reason for a sub woofer and a good sub woofer costs a lot of money...and unless it is a 12" woofer it ain't really a sub....and even if it is 12" woofer if it can't make 30Hrtz it ain't a sub...And even if so n so manufacturer say it's down to 20Hrtz I bet they're fibbing. Laughing

My mistake about thinking you had a bro....Hmmm must think ...Brother of Blackwolf..hmmm

Yeah I would like volume control. I like having an actual wheel rather than adjusting in software.

I don't need surround sound. The most would be 2.1 but gonna start off with just 2 speakers.

How about an external sound card? That would bypass the onboard DAC so any problems could be traced easily. I guess these interfaces are basically soundcards.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:46 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your guess is correct.

Go for that Behringer interface with the knowledge that it only has 2 speaker outputs (plus a headphone out) so you won't be able to add a sub woofer.
Once installed you then setup your computer to use the interface as the default sound device.

Your job is jobbed.

[edit] If you get the right type of powered sub it will be possible to run the outputs from the interface into it and then the speakers connected to the sub. The sub will be doing the crossover duties.

Last edited by Howling Terror on 13:03 - 10 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:54 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I'd known you were not the brother I thought you were I still would've offered advice.

Liar
Mr. Green

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 01:56 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems like a good option. Hard to understand if it would work or not looking myself because they are all advertised as recording devices without much mention of playback.

Cheers. Thumbs Up Karma

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:05 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should you have the need to record anything that little interface will do it at twice the samplerate of a CD and it will do it with almost no latency..but that discussion is for another night.

Aye all these interfaces will give good playback and the number crunching of digital to analog will be done by them too, so also good for gaming ...I'm talking marginal gains and most onboard soundcard (chips) are well upto the job of good playback minus the important volume knob.

No need to reply...you're only encouraging me. Very Happy

bamt
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:33 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most onboard soundcards are OK in terms of actual audio processing nowadays, where they can get noisy in my experience is on the power supply side; they don't always filter it very well so get affected by what else is going on on the motherboard. A decent outboard one will either filter the incoming USB power very well or have an external power supply.

My personal setup is computer -> outboard DAC (PreSonus - also has ADC and used as HiZ and line level input with low latency for recording) -> small mixing desk (Soundcraft - used to feed in inputs from various other bits of kit like CD player and act as external gain control) -> old Carlsboro amp and studio monitors.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 42 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1