Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Potato chips cooked in the oven.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Potato chips cooked in the oven. Reply with quote

If I buy chips from Aldi (1 1/2kg, 90p, 96% potato, 4% sunflower oil) and cook them, they are nice.

If I cut up potatoes and oil them (rapeseed, or beef fat...) by putting them with some fat in a frying-pan and then transferring them to the oven, then they are nice, but not quite so nice.

Why? How can I improve my chips?

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:29 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Proper chips are cooked twice. First blanch at 140c then cool and cook again at 180c till the correct colour.

If you only cook them once they will never be good.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:39 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Parboil, similar to a roast spud.

Fluff up in some plain flour then bake.

Works for me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:01 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Proper chips are cooked twice. First blanch at 140c then cool and cook again at 180c till the correct colour.

Thank you. I know how to deep-fry chips. These however are a new thing called "oven chips". You buy them frozen, and put them in the oven to cook. When they come out, they are quite nice. Mine are not quite as nice as they ought to be. I have no deep-fat cooker, nor the desire to have one.

That aside, and to go off-topic: did you know that the best way to cook steak is to deep-fry it? It is! Really!

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:04 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
Parboil, similar to a roast spud. Fluff up in some plain flour then bake.

Works for me.

That is interesting. The shop ones I buy do not have flour in, though - at least, not wheat flour. Perhaps they have potato flour in, although I would expect the "ingredients" to state that. Do you use any fat when you bake them?

I will try a parboil! Tomorrow, anyway, I have had my dinner. Well. Maybe tomorrow. Hm. I could try... but no, I am trying to lose some more weight. Tomorrow!

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can fluff up spuds by tossing them around (!) in a colander to roughen the edges.

Should work with chips I'd think.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

panrider_uk wrote:
You can fluff up spuds by tossing them around (!) in a colander to roughen the edges.

Should work with chips I'd think.

Yep, that's how I do it. Par boil for 5 minutes. Drain, Rough up and let steam dry for 30 mins so dry. Spray with oil, cook on tray.

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:13 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
. Do you use any fat when you bake them?
!

Just sunflower oil in a spray
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:35 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fisty wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
. Do you use any fat when you bake them?

Just sunflower oil in a spray

I will try parboiling some mañana. However, I will have to apply some dripping to them, or some rapeseed oil.

hedgehugger
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a change from chips, you could always try wedges.
I boil up enough spuds to feed 2 of us twice. Skins on potatoes.
Oil and various flavourings in a lidded, plastic, container. Let the potatoes cool a bit (easier to handle), cut them into the required wedge size, soak them in the oil and flavourings, tipping the tub to get it all around. cook what you want, freeze the excess.

Simple way to freeze without them all sticking together is on a plate that is covered in cling film. Then once frozen transfer them into a suitable container or bag.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:58 - 13 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some varieties of spud are good for making chips, others are terrible. King Edwards are probably favourite of the ones you commonly get in the shops. Then Maris Pipers.

Also, don't be afraid to just deep fry them. It's how chips are supposed to be made anyway. I deep fry them in a wok. Heats up quick, uses comparatively little oil. the trick is to do them in small batches with the temperature high enough.

Chip pan fires tend to happen when they are left unattended by drunk people. They happen rarely when attended by a sensible, sane person and are only dangerous if you panic. The trick is to simply put the lid on if it takes ahold and it'll go out. Wont even spoil the chips.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 05:01 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
The Artist wrote:

Thank you. I know how to deep-fry chips. These however are a new thing called "oven chips". You buy them frozen, and put them in the oven to cook. When they come out, they are quite nice. Mine are not quite as nice as they ought to be. I have no deep-fat cooker, nor the desire to have one.

That aside, and to go off-topic: did you know that the best way to cook steak is to deep-fry it? It is! Really!

Yes and the reason oven chips work is because they have been fried already, then allowed to cool which follows the correct procedure for cooking potato to get a crispy fluffy chip.

And about steak, the best way is sous vide but deep frying can be done but I wouldn't do it to a nice steak, maybe a lower quality cut.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:57 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
And about steak, the best way is sous vide

Intrigued. In my head the flavour is going to be pure, unadulterated beefy awesomeness.

Is there a cheapo way I can try this at home without buying any fancy equipment?

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:21 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Some varieties of spud are good for making chips, others are terrible. King Edwards are probably favourite of the ones you commonly get in the shops. Then Maris Pipers.

This. There are potatoes and there are potatoes. Ignore those that claim they're "good for everything"; jack of all trades and master of none and all that.

OP; if you like sweet potato, they make the easiest wedges/chips. No par-boiling needed, we just give them a bit of a scrub, chop up into wedges with the skin on (best bit), toss in olive oil, salt and pepper and throw into the oven for half an hour. Literally no slower than using the frozen variety, a lot cheaper and tastier. Thumbs Up

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

wr6133 wrote:
The Artist wrote:
And about steak, the best way is sous vide

Intrigued. In my head the flavour is going to be pure, unadulterated beefy awesomeness.

Is there a cheapo way I can try this at home without buying any fancy equipment?

The key with sous vide is temperature control; without a thermostat, a small pan of water can be adjusted manually and monitored with a thermometer, but because it's a small volume of liquid the temperature fluctuates all over the place, which isn't good. If you have a large stockpot, even though it seems overkill, fill it up with water as it's a greater mass meaning less rapid temperature fluctuations. Just keep on adjusting the temperature and checking periodically. Alternative is if you have a watertight coolbox, preheat that then fill with water, adjust temperature by scooping some water out and adding some boiling water. Years ago I used to use a converted coolbox to mash grain in when brewing beer; I'd lose about 3 degrees C over an hour without touching it (although the grain does increase thermal mass), but I was unhappy with that loss so built my own mash tun. I was mashing at about 67 deg C - not sure what temp you would sous vide steak at but I'd imagine most coolboxes would handle 80 deg C easily enough, I'd be wary of going higher. Don't worry about the fact it's hot water and plastic as the food is protected by the sous vide bag.

Sous vide is quite interesting, but for meats you'll need to sear it afterwards or something.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:26 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://i.redd.it/n65yvxor96l41.jpg

Not my pic but this is what you can do. Perfectly cooked all the way through and then an extremely hot sear to make the crust.

You really need a sous vide machine (£100 minimum) to do it properly and then you need some method of searing afterwards. A normal frying pan is not enough and most other methods make a lot of smoke so not advisable in a normal kitchen.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:40 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

"sous vide"

No. I disagree. It's not as good. It suffers from exactly the same issue as shallow-frying or grilling.

Still. I will try out parboiling chips later. I'd guess that they need very little time in water, else they would turn to sludge.

hellkat
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
I have no deep-fat cooker, nor the desire to have one.

Me neither.
A bloke once bought one for the household, as he was used to having one, and I hated it.
Used it maybe twice (and even then, I had to be supervised, as I had no idea how to use one) Laughing

My mother would have a pink fit if she thought I owned one. Shocked
On any given day I can quadruple the saturated fat in my diet perfectly efficiently without needing to own one of those as well!

Anyway, once I knew the bloke had departed, the deep fat fryer was the first thing to follow him out the door.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:39 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:
"sous vide"

No. I disagree. It's not as good. It suffers from exactly the same issue as shallow-frying or grilling.

Eh? What issue is that? The issue with steak is overcooking turns it into rubber. Sous vide eliminates that.

Even deep frying requires too much time in the heat so the edge gets overcooked. You can still make a great steak with most methods but objectively, the sous vide method gives you so much more control.

For chips and other things if deep frying isn't for you, I recently got a brand new air fryer (off FB for almost nothing because the lid was damaged).

Fantastic bit of kit. Chuck a bunch of wings in there and they come out like they have been grilled but somehow crispier and evenly cooked. Not tried chips yet but supposed to be good.

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:
"sous vide"

Eh? What issue is that?

What happens to meat as it cooks? Dimensionally? Leaving aside "Why?", the loss is the issue. If it's deep fried, or even well spit-roasted, it's much tastier. The "doneness" is nowhere near as important.

ThunderGuts
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:50 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a really interesting documentary on iPlayer (not sure if still on there) called Chef vs Science: The Ultimate Kitchen Challenge. In this a steak was sous vide (I think), but certainly then frozen in liquid nitrogen before being dropped into a deep fryer. Theory is the freezing means that by the time the perfect outer sear has been achieved, the inner portion is at the right temperature rather than overcooked. They did a few other science-y things with food too, some more successful than others, pitted against Marcus Wareing. Worth a watch if it's still available.

The Artist
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:27 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Riejufixing wrote:

What happens to meat as it cooks? Dimensionally? Leaving aside "Why?", the loss is the issue. If it's deep fried, or even well spit-roasted, it's much tastier. The "doneness" is nowhere near as important.

Probably just have to disagree there, and that is coming from someone that loves frying anything.

ThunderGuts wrote:
There was a really interesting documentary on iPlayer (not sure if still on there) called Chef vs Science: The Ultimate Kitchen Challenge. In this a steak was sous vide (I think), but certainly then frozen in liquid nitrogen before being dropped into a deep fryer. Theory is the freezing means that by the time the perfect outer sear has been achieved, the inner portion is at the right temperature rather than overcooked. They did a few other science-y things with food too, some more successful than others, pitted against Marcus Wareing. Worth a watch if it's still available.

Indeed even with regular home sous vide'ing, it is common practice to take the meat out of the bath after cooking and put into ice water before searing to prevent overcooking the inner part.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:28 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oven Chips are one the phenomenon of modern life that prove we are entering the end times. They're a depressing cosmic message urging us to just give up.

On a happier note, my steak cooking method is as follows.
Oil the steak (1 inch thick) a couple of hours prior to cooking. Vegetable oil all over then salt one side. Don't use olive oil it burns at higher cooking temperatures. Set aside the steak at room temperature.
For a medium rare steak use a griddle pan at a good 200c and slap the steak on salty side up for three minutes then turn and do for two minutes.
That's it, done. Adjust for thickness of the steak.

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear oh my - 'sous vide' Confused .. ffs

Coming up in next thread..

'Nobby's crocheting tips..' Rolling Eyes

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Riejufixing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:47 - 14 Jul 2020    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Artist wrote:
Riejufixing wrote:

Probably just have to disagree there, and that is coming from someone that loves frying anything

Probably. You have ignored the salient point, which is entirely independent of cooking method (if you cook the stuff at all, which I sometimes don't(/.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 3 years, 286 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2