BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MOD2 Tips please :-)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

vp1977uk
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:46 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Am assuming if the examiner is following you in a car instead of a his bike then that would be easier as he'd almost be protecting you from other drivers that would be behind and wanting to over take you etc ?

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:49 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: MOD2 Tips please :-) Reply with quote

RickTaff wrote:
Got my Mod2 on Wednesday

So? Whistle

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:48 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: MOD2 Tips please :-) Reply with quote

M.C wrote:
RickTaff wrote:
Got my Mod2 on Wednesday

So? Whistle

Passed Smile

Thanks for all the advice guys, it worked a treat.

Had 4 minors though, main one was as a 30mph sign passed us, i was doing 34-35 for about 5-10 seconds past the sign before adjusting to 30 - and ideally should have been doing 30 before i'd even passed it.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:57 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:19 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: MOD2 Tips please :-) Reply with quote

RickTaff wrote:
Had 4 minors

Like in Telford, they don't really matter.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:49 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: All done. Reply with quote

Nice one. Go enjoy.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: MOD2 Tips please :-) Reply with quote

RickTaff wrote:
Passed Smile

Welcome to biking proper.
Do you have a suitable bike to upgrade to?

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 23:45 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats Cool

So... Fireblade? Whistle

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:11 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Thumbs Up

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:20 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: MOD2 Tips please :-) Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
RickTaff wrote:
Passed Smile

Welcome to biking proper.
Do you have a suitable bike to upgrade to?

I had my eyes on a CBR 650F i believe, may be a little wrong on the engine size. Looking at second hand to start off, but obviously not a rust bucket. I like the 'sporty' looking models, Suzuki SV, Ninja, CBR, etc

Im about 6ft'2 and a little dubious whether a long ride would have me in pain due to riding position

Last edited by RickTaff on 22:24 - 15 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 22:22 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:
Congrats Cool

So... Fireblade? Whistle

Well, one thing i wont be doing is copying my mate. Passed his mod2, bought a Hayabusa as his first bike. Took it back to the bike school to show them, told him he is daft for buying something so powerful as his first "big" bike. He Was terrified of its power. sold it within 6-12 months as, in his words, "It was going to wrap me round a tree"

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:42 - 15 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: MOD2 Tips please :-) Reply with quote

RickTaff wrote:
I had my eyes on a CBR 650F i believe, may be a little wrong on the engine size.

Reasonable enough choice, although it's lazy and lardy compared to the previous CBR600F.

If that's OK with you and it's primarily the looks you're after, then you could also consider the GSX650F, or an ER6F if you'd prefer a twin (I generally would).

For that matter, the GSX1250F isn't crazy either. Don't be put off by the engine size, it's a sports tourer, emphasis on the tourer, rather than a racer. In terms of bike for the money, it's hard to beat.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:09 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickTaff wrote:
He Was terrified of its power. sold it within 6-12 months as, in his words, "It was going to wrap me round a tree"

I can imagine. I've only got an MT-07 and even that feels too mental for the roads to me.

I can't imagine riding a 1000cc sportsbike every day - the temptation to go everywhere at 6,000mph would see me losing my licence, if I didn't bin it into the scenery first.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:46 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickTaff wrote:
Powderhead wrote:
Congrats Cool

So... Fireblade? Whistle

Well, one thing i wont be doing is copying my mate. Passed his mod2, bought a Hayabusa as his first bike. Took it back to the bike school to show them, told him he is daft for buying something so powerful as his first "big" bike. He Was terrified of its power. sold it within 6-12 months as, in his words, "It was going to wrap me round a tree"

A guy I worked with had an R1 as his first bike and survived. My main reason for not getting one would be how often you're likely to use even a fraction of that bikes capabilities.

clairegriffo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 13:09 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVSA Derek wrote:
Hello mate..

Words of advice for the Mod 2... I have done 5 (today alone! lol)

1. As someone said, remember your basic machine control, keep it smooth and controlled.
2. Pay attention to your surroundings - signs, speed limits, road markings (or lack of), traffic lights and other road users and their signals. React to them promptly and correctly. Unless you have a reason not to, get yourself moving where you can.
3. Observations - take them correctly and effectively and for yourself. If I have someone staging their observations - i.e, randomly throwing their head around for my benefit but not actually seeing anything, I will stop them where observations need to be good, then when they don't 'see' they fail. So, take your observations for yourself - if they are correct you don't need to over do them.
4. Speed limits - definitely not a target, but where you can get moving.. You don't need to be doing 30 in a 30, 40 in a 40 etc.. think of the limits as being followed by 'ish' 30 ish really is anything between 27 - 32, 40 ish anything between 37 - 42.. you get the idea. The last thing you want to happen is to miss a sign, marking or situation because you are obsessing over the speedo. If you think of your speed limits as 'ish' you will instinctively know when you are too slow or fast.
5. Gear.. we actually couldn't give a fuck what you are wearing. As long as it is sensible. Jeans are fine. Not my choice, but it's a free country. I am not the bike gear police.
6. Enjoy it - go out and ride for yourself, observe for yourself and don't over think it. It's not rocket science, and people will tell you - examiners don't like this, or don't your test at that time.. Every test report I leave the office with is a pass, all that goes on it is what the rider does. So, it's down to you dude, not me, whether you pass or fail.
7. As for stern words of wisdom.. rubbish, you pass your test with me I will shake your hand and welcome you to the club! Wink (as most of my colleagues will)

I have my mod 2 unrestricted test this week and will be taking these tips on board.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:24 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

clairegriffo wrote:
I have my mod 2 unrestricted test this week and will be taking these tips on board.

Good luck... Thumbs Up

clairegriffo
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:36 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:
clairegriffo wrote:

Good luck... Thumbs Up

Thanks, I am really looking forward to it. Very Happy

Read up loads of tips, asked lots of questions with my instructor if I am not sure always re asked, but I know that ultimately its down to how I ride on the day from everything that I have been taught.

My last lesson just gone was a not my best but then I cant expect it all to run smoothly, I actually really enjoy learning I am finding it less stressful than I did learning to drive.

I feel positive, my main little wobble is occasionally forgetting to turn off the indicators but I am going to in my head break it down bit by bit and just enjoy it!

I bet it will be over before it has began Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 339 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2