Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

MOD2 Tips please :-)

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:17 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: MOD2 Tips please :-) Reply with quote

Got my Mod2 on Wednesday, just looking for some tips on those who have done it before.

thanks. Smile

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:28 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Slow, smooth and steady wins the race. So long as you know the bike you're riding -- that is in the way that it behaves and in what gear it likes to be in the city and out in the open -- then there's not a lot more to it but turn up and ride the route the examiner tells you to take.

Don't go over the limit, do your observations and all should be well.

Truth is regardless of how your ride Big Dick Examiner Dom will always have stern words of advice to utter because they never get anything wrong.

If anything the module two test is the easiest ride on roads you don't know that you'll ever do, beside using a satnav, because they always tell you where to go and the solo ride part is over before you even acknowledged it begun.

Stay in lane one, at all times, unless instructed otherwise by examiner, road markings or signs. If you end up going the wrong way stick with it and double back rather than cut someone up.

Most of it is just over thinking, anyway; truth is the test is just another ride with someone following you.

Oh, and don't let the examiner pull up beside you at junctions too many times. Kick him off and race away if he gets on yer nervs.. no non-byklyf rider is realistically going to pull up beside you at a junction.

Smile, pretend to be friends and laugh at the pool of wisdom once its all over.

A good training school should calm yer nervs and run through things on a brief ride to the test centre on the day anyway.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:30 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Listen to the examiner, do what he wants you to do.
There are no magic tricks to passing, just try to keep it tidy and at least look like you know what you're doing.

Be cool and you'll pass.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:47 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Slow, smooth and steady wins the race. So long as you know the bike you're riding -- that is in the way that it behaves and in what gear it likes to be in the city and out in the open -- then there's not a lot more to it but turn up and ride the route the examiner tells you to take.

Truth is regardless of how your ride Big Dick Examiner Dom will always have stern words of advice to utter because they never get anything wrong.

If anything the module two test is the easiest ride on roads you don't know that you'll ever do, beside using a satnav, because they always tell you where to go and the solo ride part is over before you even acknowledged it begun.

Stay in lane one, at all times, unless instructed otherwise by examiner, road markings or signs. If you end up going the wrong way stick with it and double back rather than cut someone up.

Most of it is just over thinking, anyway; truth is the test is just another ride with someone following you.

Oh, and don't let the examiner pull up beside you at junctions too many times. Kick him off and race away if he gets on yer nervs.. no non-byklyf rider is realistically going to pull up beside you at a junction.

A good training school should calm yer nervs and run through things on a brief ride to the test centre on the day anyway.

Great help, thanks. Truth is my test is at 2.05pm and we're meeting at 12pm at the Bike school for a quick one hour brush up lesson. He told me my riding is fine, just speed limits pickle me.

Reason being my instructor always taught us "Speed limits are not a target, they are a number you must not exceed" Fair enough. So in a 40mph i did 35-37 and I got the impression he thought i should be going quicker. Same in a 50. Riding at about 47-48

So I am curious whether the examiner will want me riding bang on the speed limit number, or whether i am allowed a few mph below it

Observations been drilled into me, was told to over-do them and when cancelling indicators to press it twice just to be sure.

Last edited by RickTaff on 23:51 - 12 Mar 2018; edited 2 times in total

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 23:50 - 12 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Listen to the examiner, do what he wants you to do.
There are no magic tricks to passing, just try to keep it tidy and at least look like you know what you're doing.

Be cool and you'll pass.

I think it is nerves which are playing on my mind more. I know i can ride, i been riding on CBT 18months minimum, passed mod1 first crack.

I also know the area im doing the test like the back of my hand.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:32 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On test, I'd treat the limit as a target and batter up to it quickly. We've had loads of people get minors undue hesitation / failure to make progress, and possible even some full Attitude Fails.

Slow into situations, sharpish out of them.

Oh, and if you see a bus lane that you can use and should be using, use it.

Where are you doing it? There may be local foibles that we can clue you in on. Glasgow, for example, is super gay for unmarked junctions and crossroads, which you don't see too often any more: slow down, plenty of rubbernecking, and treat them as a give way even if it looks like you're on the "major" road.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:45 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

the only hard bits are making sure you do a double shoulder check before pulling away from behind a parked car (one before and then one just as youre pullling away i think?) and then possibly double roundabouts.

Just make sure youre decisive and clear in your actions. dont indicate one way and go another, (even if hes told you to go right and you indicate left, go left).

As others have said. its the eassier than Mod 1 by miles. But dont be complacent. Good luck!

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:59 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My only advice is to know the route/area well.
This is so that you know when you are in a one way street (not a simple task when the road has been recently converted) so that on exit, you are positioned correctly. Then the speed limits, people have been failed for doing 20 in a 30 and 30 in a 40. Yes they are limits and not targets, but they also want you to ride without holding anyone up.
After that, just relax and talk to yourself (it helps) and treat the examiner like a sat-nav and follow his directions. If you feel you have fucked something up and dont have time for a right hand turn, don't try to make it dangerously or late, just carry on and make your way to that road in a safe manner. You cant be failed for doing things safely.

Mod 1 is generally regarded as the hard part and I agree. Mod 2 is just riding around as you should be able to do. It's all over pretty quick, so don't think you've failed when he asks you to make your way back to the centre and start making mistakes, as you are still being tested all the way back in. A 30 min test will be 15 mins out and 15 mins back in. Everything is part of the test, even parking the bike up at the end, so pick an easy spot.

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:07 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
the only hard bits are making sure you do a double shoulder check before pulling away from behind a parked car (one before and then one just as youre pullling away i think?) and then possibly double roundabouts.

Just make sure youre decisive and clear in your actions. dont indicate one way and go another, (even if hes told you to go right and you indicate left, go left).

As others have said. its the eassier than Mod 1 by miles. But dont be complacent. Good luck!

That has been one of the most common tips ive been given. I would have thought that'd be instant fail as you haven't listened. But it seems not

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:13 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
My only advice is to know the route/area well.
This is so that you know when you are in a one way street (not a simple task when the road has been recently converted) so that on exit, you are positioned correctly. Then the speed limits, people have been failed for doing 20 in a 30 and 30 in a 40. Yes they are limits and not targets, but they also want you to ride without holding anyone up.
After that, just relax and talk to yourself (it helps) and treat the examiner like a sat-nav and follow his directions. If you feel you have fucked something up and dont have time for a right hand turn, don't try to make it dangerously or late, just carry on and make your way to that road in a safe manner. You cant be failed for doing things safely.

Mod 1 is generally regarded as the hard part and I agree. Mod 2 is just riding around as you should be able to do. It's all over pretty quick, so don't think you've failed when he asks you to make your way back to the centre and start making mistakes, as you are still being tested all the way back in. A 30 min test will be 15 mins out and 15 mins back in. Everything is part of the test, even parking the bike up at the end, so pick an easy spot.

Thankfully the area I am doing the test in, is where i work and about 15mins from my home. I know it really well. Real helpful tips here.

I was given a heads up in regards to being in a 3 lane road, where the first 2 lanes are straight on. And if lane 1 is full, go to lane 2. show progress. (cant be failed for it either im told?)

Out of curiosity, anyone know how many minors/majors are allowed?

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 12:16 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://lightningpass.com/how-fail-your-test-1

scroll down to Mod 2 test. Explains all the driver fauls there

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:26 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh and dress the part, if you have proper gear, you've instantly made yourself look a biker. Examiners are bikers and they want more bikers.

Turn up with jeans, jacket and timberlands and he might not be feeling the love and you might have to start scoring points instead of having a full set to lose.

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 12:30 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Oh and dress the part, if you have proper gear, you've instantly made yourself look a biker. Examiners are bikers and they want more bikers.

Turn up with jeans, jacket and timberlands and he might not be feeling the love and you might have to start scoring points instead of having a full set to lose.

Well i got the jacket, boots, but have to wear jeans Sad

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 12:32 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jeans are the chocolate teapot of protection, but DVSA thinks otherwise.

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/dsa-reminds-motorcycle-test-candidates-to-wear-suitable-clothing

Ironically, by setting individual examiners up as the arbiter of what offers protection, they are creating a duty of care where none existed and opening themselves up to compo claims.

RickTaff wrote:
AshWebster wrote:
even if hes told you to go right and you indicate left

That has been one of the most common tips ive been given. I would have thought that'd be instant fail as you haven't listened. But it seems not

Comms aren't perfect and you're being assessed on how you ride, not particularly where you ride.

Likewise on the independent riding section, don't fret about missing signs and turns. Just commit to each lane and junction and pop a few wheelies to demonstrate competence. Shoulder checks first though!

Last edited by Rogerborg on 12:36 - 13 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickTaff wrote:
Pjay wrote:

Well i got the jacket, boots, but have to wear jeans Sad

Plenty good enough, jeans are fine.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:33 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Walk like you've shit yerself, he might think your wearing proper bike jeans.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

GSTEEL32
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 13:45 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
On test, I'd treat the limit as a target and batter up to it quickly.

Completely agree. You ride a bike in order to combat congestion, not add to it. Get a wiggle on, it shows you're in control of the bike, not the other way round.

Also, don't turn up dressed like a spazzer. Nobody likes to admit it, but everyone DOES make a first impression. If you look like a div, you'll be treated like a div. Safety first and all that nonsense .....

KWCFC
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:48 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickTaff wrote:
NJD wrote:

Great help, thanks. Truth is my test is at 2.05pm and we're meeting at 12pm at the Bike school for a quick one hour brush up lesson. He told me my riding is fine, just speed limits pickle me.

Reason being my instructor always taught us "Speed limits are not a target, they are a number you must not exceed" Fair enough. So in a 40mph i did 35-37 and I got the impression he thought i should be going quicker. Same in a 50. Riding at about 47-48

So I am curious whether the examiner will want me riding bang on the speed limit number, or whether i am allowed a few mph below it

Observations been drilled into me, was told to over-do them and when cancelling indicators to press it twice just to be sure.

Ride to the limit if you can. I failed my MOD2 for the first time because I thought I was in a 30 zone so I drove at 28mph. Turns out it was a 40 zone and the examiner failed me for it. But he said if I didn't go below 30 it would of been just a minor.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:04 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Good luck. Reply with quote

My local test centre now uses Bluetooth instead of 1940s walkie talkie radios. Much easier to attach.
The last thing I tell pupils before going into centre, is to immediately forget about any mistakes you think make and carry on as if it's perfect. You can't fix a fuck up so why let it drag you down. Many times examiners have shrugged off a perceived fault, none of us are perfect.

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 18:20 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Good luck. Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
My local test centre now uses Bluetooth instead of 1940s walkie talkie radios. Much easier to attach.
The last thing I tell pupils before going into centre, is to immediately forget about any mistakes you think make and carry on as if it's perfect. You can't fix a fuck up so why let it drag you down. Many times examiners have shrugged off a perceived fault, none of us are perfect.

My instructor told us on our last batch of lessons that the examiner is not there to fail you or catch you out, that's a myth. He just wants to see you can ride safely. He knows you can ride a bike as you've passed mod1.

I also do know a few lads who passed mod2, and said they knew they'd made little errors here and there (forgetting the odd mirror check was one, stalling was another), but the examiner passed them as they showed they could ride to a good standard, and safely

DVSA Derek
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:40 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mate..

Words of advice for the Mod 2... I have done 5 (today alone! lol)

1. As someone said, remember your basic machine control, keep it smooth and controlled.
2. Pay attention to your surroundings - signs, speed limits, road markings (or lack of), traffic lights and other road users and their signals. React to them promptly and correctly. Unless you have a reason not to, get yourself moving where you can.
3. Observations - take them correctly and effectively and for yourself. If I have someone staging their observations - i.e, randomly throwing their head around for my benefit but not actually seeing anything, I will stop them where observations need to be good, then when they don't 'see' they fail. So, take your observations for yourself - if they are correct you don't need to over do them.
4. Speed limits - definitely not a target, but where you can get moving.. You don't need to be doing 30 in a 30, 40 in a 40 etc.. think of the limits as being followed by 'ish' 30 ish really is anything between 27 - 32, 40 ish anything between 37 - 42.. you get the idea. The last thing you want to happen is to miss a sign, marking or situation because you are obsessing over the speedo. If you think of your speed limits as 'ish' you will instinctively know when you are too slow or fast.
5. Gear.. we actually couldn't give a fuck what you are wearing. As long as it is sensible. Jeans are fine. Not my choice, but it's a free country. I am not the bike gear police.
6. Enjoy it - go out and ride for yourself, observe for yourself and don't over think it. It's not rocket science, and people will tell you - examiners don't like this, or don't your test at that time.. Every test report I leave the office with is a pass, all that goes on it is what the rider does. So, it's down to you dude, not me, whether you pass or fail.
7. As for stern words of wisdom.. rubbish, you pass your test with me I will shake your hand and welcome you to the club! Wink (as most of my colleagues will)

RickTaff
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 20:28 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DVSA Derek wrote:
Hello mate..

Words of advice for the Mod 2... I have done 5 (today alone! lol)

1. As someone said, remember your basic machine control, keep it smooth and controlled.
2. Pay attention to your surroundings - signs, speed limits, road markings (or lack of), traffic lights and other road users and their signals. React to them promptly and correctly. Unless you have a reason not to, get yourself moving where you can.
3. Observations - take them correctly and effectively and for yourself. If I have someone staging their observations - i.e, randomly throwing their head around for my benefit but not actually seeing anything, I will stop them where observations need to be good, then when they don't 'see' they fail. So, take your observations for yourself - if they are correct you don't need to over do them.
4. Speed limits - definitely not a target, but where you can get moving.. You don't need to be doing 30 in a 30, 40 in a 40 etc.. think of the limits as being followed by 'ish' 30 ish really is anything between 27 - 32, 40 ish anything between 37 - 42.. you get the idea. The last thing you want to happen is to miss a sign, marking or situation because you are obsessing over the speedo. If you think of your speed limits as 'ish' you will instinctively know when you are too slow or fast.
5. Gear.. we actually couldn't give a fuck what you are wearing. As long as it is sensible. Jeans are fine. Not my choice, but it's a free country. I am not the bike gear police.
6. Enjoy it - go out and ride for yourself, observe for yourself and don't over think it. It's not rocket science, and people will tell you - examiners don't like this, or don't your test at that time.. Every test report I leave the office with is a pass, all that goes on it is what the rider does. So, it's down to you dude, not me, whether you pass or fail.
7. As for stern words of wisdom.. rubbish, you pass your test with me I will shake your hand and welcome you to the club! Wink (as most of my colleagues will)

Massive help. Thanks for taking the time to post this!
I will do my best to keep these pointers on board before and during my test. I know i can ride, my examiner says i ride fine, its just over thinking it as you said, and avoiding that.

Jmoan
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 21:48 - 13 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

KWCFC wrote:

Ride to the limit if you can. I failed my MOD2 for the first time because I thought I was in a 30 zone so I drove at 28mph. Turns out it was a 40 zone and the examiner failed me for it. But he said if I didn't go below 30 it would of been just a minor.

Everywhere is a 28mph on a moped. I wonder if the test monkeys think about that.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:59 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RickTaff wrote:
its just over thinking it as you said, and avoiding that.

So much that. Don't fret, it's just a ride around. The standard isn't particularly high - many of us passed the current tests with no training beyond a CBT.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:51 - 14 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This will probably be echoing a lot of what's already been said, but:

- Turn up in proper gear if you can, and try to be friendly to the examiner. You don't want the guy to be looking for reasons to fail you. It seems to me that most of them do actually want you to pass, so don't act like a twat and give them cause to want to fail you.

- Stay in lane 1, unless it's painfully obvious that you should be overtaking a tractor. If you do end up needing to do that, get back to lane 1 as soon as you sensibly can. Check the bus lane signs, and always use them where you can.

- Make sure your observations are obvious to the examiner. Don't just glance in the mirror - visibly turn your head to look into it.

- Don't let the examiner pull up on your left when turning left at a T-junction - don't leave any space.

- If turning right at the end of a one-way street, remember to use all the road!

- Don't forget your obs. I'd err of the side of doing shoulder checks before I pulled away at traffic lights, out from behind parked cars, or when I changed position at any time ever.

- Don't. Leave. Your. Indicator. On.

- If, on the "observed solo ride" bit, make sure you actually indicate the way you go. If he asks you to go right and you go left, then that's fine - just don't indicate right and go left Laughing If you don't have time to make a turn, just do something else that's legal and safe - there's no need to rush to do anything. You can't fail for being shit at navigation!

- Don't hesitate - ride decisively, and get up to the speed limit as quickly as you (sensibly) can. Don't go over the limit, obviously... but don't do 30 in a 40 zone.

- Learn a bit about the bike before you arrive so you can answer their "show me, tell me" questions (e.g. where is the brake fluid, how would you check the oil level, what adjustments might you need to make if you carry pillions, etc.)

- At split level crossings, remember that you don't need to wait for a pedestrian who hasn't yet reached the central island. Err on the side of caution here...

- When joining another road at traffic, make sure you have at least a 2-second gap before pulling out. If you pull out in front of someone and the examiner sees their brake lights, you're at risk of failing. Also, don't worry about leaving a gap big enough for you and the examiner. Just leave him Laughing

- Don't filter. There is no need to do it on the test, and it's (in my opinion) one of the easiest places to fuck yourself over. Besides, the more time you spend sitting in traffic, the less time you have to have to make mistakes Laughing

- Try to relax and be cool - it's just a ride out Smile

And finally...

- Good luck Thumbs Up Let us know how you get on Cool
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2