Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Front tire, pr4?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:21 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Front tire, pr4? Reply with quote

Need a new front, are Michelin pr4's still considered the best for winter use? My current one has gone bald on the right while rest of tire is 3mm. Seems I have been lazy checking pressure and rode with it low for a month.

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:36 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

what TYRE is on it at the moment?
are you happy with its performance for you?

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:17 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

PR3's or 4's are my tyre of choice for year round riding. Michelin have released Road 5's now which seem to be getting pretty good reviews.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’ve just stuck Avon Storms on the 1100. £50 cheaper than Michelin’s and the PR3’s were fucked in 5k.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:01 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong, but 5k out of a tyre?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:08 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pr4 at the moment. About 9k miles, 3mm left across the tire except right shoulder under 1mm. Only dissapoint that the uneven wear, seems common. I had pr3/pr2 before that, neither had this 50p squaring.

The CB1000r at work also has pr4 uneven wear but on both sides, like a 50p. He had the tire since 2016 but also drives car so less miles.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Michelin-120-70-ZR-17-58W-Pilot-Road-5-Tubeless-Motorcycle-Front-Tyre/263463512256

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-tyres-Michelin-Pilot-Road-4-120-70-ZR17-58W/152921039447

Pr5's 50% more expensive and not available from most sellers yet.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:25 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My front PR4 wears like that, cupping on the treads and a point on the front. I put it down to braking on turns/roundabouts etc. No way in hell I ever get 9k out of a tyre though.

I really rate the PR4 as a wet weather tyre but I wouldn't put it top of the tree in the cold.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:37 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
Pr4 at the moment. About 9k miles, 3mm left across the tire except right shoulder under 1mm. Only dissapoint that the uneven wear, seems common. I had pr3/pr2 before that, neither had this 50p squaring.

The CB1000r at work also has pr4 uneven wear but on both sides, like a 50p. He had the tire since 2016 but also drives car so less miles.

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Michelin-120-70-ZR-17-58W-Pilot-Road-5-Tubeless-Motorcycle-Front-Tyre/263463512256

www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorbike-tyres-Michelin-Pilot-Road-4-120-70-ZR17-58W/152921039447

Pr5's 50% more expensive and not available from most sellers yet.

9 fucking K?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you prefer for cold? I have no problem riding at high speed or stopping when it is below zero on gritted roads.

I will be swapping a racetec for the summer months, which last year part worn gave me 6k miles. It still has tread but not worth refitting, it was removed when temps dropped in September - seems early! year before I was using them upto end of November. Racetecs turn in quicker, more grip, equal in wet and much cheaper, only problem they need to be 10c+ to work.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:59 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:

I really rate the PR4 as a wet weather tyre but I wouldn't put it top of the tree in the cold.

I've only tried 5 sets of tyres on two road bikes, so don't have much experience. But PR4's scared me in the cold/wet because how fast I felt comfortable going. Haven't found anything since that matched them for cold/wet.
However I do prefer (so far) Dunlop Roadmsmart 3 as they are softer than PR4, but harder than Roadtec (using limited vocab to describe)

Have owned on 180kg bikes:
BT021
Rosso Corsa
PR4
Roadtec 01
Roadsmart 3

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:10 - 25 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
What do you prefer for cold? I have no problem riding at high speed or stopping when it is below zero on gritted roads.

That's a good question and the truth is that I like the PR4 so much I still use them all year round. I had one event where I lost the front on a slight bend at 2 degrees when a council bin man pulled a wheelie bin across the road in front of me and it wasn't at great speed nor even seemingly very hard braking but the front went away like a shot. I mentioned it down at the tyre shop and the fitter said that he'd heard similar cold-temp reports from the PR4.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Snop Doog
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 02:03 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

9 fucking K?

Over 8k on my Dunlop Roadsmart 1 rear, it's at the marker now though

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 10:06 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
9 fucking K?

ZZR600, PR2, 15k. True it was on the limit of being 100% canvas through the middle, but at least 13-14k of sedate motorway riding. Laughing

1500 mile on Racetecs.

But yeah, I've got Metzeler M3s on the GSXR and they were grippy as shit in the cold.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:16 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pr4 ordered. Tempted to get a couple at that price.

PR5's do not like the design. Thats going to 50p much quicker. Would like the pr5 compound and carcass in the racetec profile and siping. I should possibly try a pilot power, but get the impression they are shit.

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:34 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I consistently get about 9k out of a set of PR4's on the SV, they always seem to get the quite abrupt cupping by the end of their life. Not found anything better than them for being a do it all tyre.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:39 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
Michelin have released Road 5's now which seem to be getting pretty good reviews.

Hopefully, this means PR4s will soon be a lot cheaper. I stuck with PR2s for ages after they had been superseded - quite a good tyre. PR4s are my current choice, so it'd be nice to pay a bit less for a while.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:57 - 26 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll add my Penny Coin Penny Coin

Always used PR3s / 4s
Until I bought the 1250 - which came on BT30s

They were diabolical in the cold / wet. Changed them after the first winter for PR4s and all good.

Someone would have to give something else a raving review to sway me from them now. Thumbs Up

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 15:39 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got Dunlop Roadsmart 3's on the blade at the minute. They're pretty much the same feel as the roadsmart 2's. The latter lasted just over 8k. They've been my tyre of choice for a few years now and I ride all year round.

Landy10
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 15:50 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I started out with BT21S on my gsr600 then changed to pr3s at the time, improved the bike no end. Then got Gsxs 1000 it had dunlops on it from new, god they were hellish!!! and they rear was shot at 1700miles Changed them to pr4s and again vast improvement in handling.
Did do the haslam track day on the 600s shod with the roadsmart 3 in may last year and they were impressive considering it was a road tyre being used hard on track. If i ever wear the pr4s out on the gsxs might give them a go

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
Roadsmart 3

Got one of those fitted on the rear about a month ago. Only used the bike for commuting, so not really put it to any real tests as such. However, I will say that it feels much better than the Roadsmart 2 that was on there previously (I always felt the back of the bike would slide out at any moment in cold and wet conditions on corners and roundabouts) but, that could be in my head.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:57 - 27 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I read about Ron Haslam Race School using Roadsmart 3's just before I bought them. He seemed to rate them!

It is tricky, as you don't know how much of a deal has been done between him and the tyre co.
On the one hand, he's not going to risk the lives / reputation. But equally, none of the top branded tyres are exactly bad, so his choice could have come down to a deal.

But yeah, so far, very happy.

Think I got 5k out of Rosso (badly 50p), 10k out of PR4, 8K out Roadtec 01 (reckon it had another 1-2k in it).

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:26 - 28 Feb 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As other have said WTF is a tire.

Know your shixt or know you're shixt.

johnsmith222
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:02 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The pilot road series seems to be the "safe" road rider option that seems to fit many people's all weather road riding. There may be better for me, that I haven't found though.

I tend to go for the older models if they're cheaper (depending on how old though).

I've currently got pilot road 2s fitted on my 9R that I got from oponeo for £150 a pair.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:46 - 10 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just fitted a set of the New PR5 to the VFR (Actually they dropped the 'Pilot' so it's just Road 5 now) so I'll have to report back once I have something useful to say about them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 40 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2