Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

DJI Mavic pro focus issues!!!

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:51 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: DJI Mavic pro focus issues!!! Reply with quote

Hi guys, I got me a mavic pro used but less than 6 weeks old and only 3 or 4 charges on each battery and all looks new and still has the plastic wrappers on most of the kit. Flies great and a big step up from my old P2 and the gopro!! However the left side of the image seems very soft compared to the right and centre. I know its tap to focus but even when done carefully its a LOT softer on the left side of the image?!? when the lens zooms to focus it goes pin sharp then drops off just on that side of the image. I've tried different video resolutions, different micro sd cards, a firmware refresh, gimbal and camera calibration and I've adjusted the image sharpness to +1 from the -2 it was set on but still no joy Sad

Another photographer friend of mine had the same issue 8 months ago with a refurb mavic he got sent from DJI as replacement for his crashed version however a firmware update to the current one fixed it for him.

Anyone have any ideas on how to fix this Sad

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:17 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What firmware are you using ?
being honest Id be on a drone forum.

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:36 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's possible it ought to go back, they have been good about replacing them if it is faulty, but rather cheekily sometimes send back a refurbished unit.
However, don't panic just yet.
In the App, try a full camera reset, this will sometimes fix it.
If one side is still consistently out of focus try tapping somewhat towards that side.

The camera is only a glorified smartphone and the Noise Reduction can't be changed manually, but is tied to Sharpening setting
If you use zero sharpen or below NR starts to affect the image markedly, try sharpen 0 in strong sun and +1 if it's less bright, and apply your own NR afterwards if required.
Beware of underexposing, dark areas soon go to mush, I find it's best to leave it on Auto and set exposure comp on +0.7 or +1.0
JPGs from this camera are pretty grim, RAW is the way to go. Screenshots from 4K using (e.g.) VLC are better than the JPGs.

Corners and edges are not going to be as good as the middle of the frame, I think it's a feature due to the Linear mode lens (i.e. no fisheye)
Sometimes this can be 'fixed' especially in stills by simply cropping. Laughing

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Chinaboy
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:49 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't help with your specific problem, but this might. I was considering buying the DJI Spark here in China, but on reviewing all the stuff on the Internets I had a few questions. I emailed them here: support@dji.com
and they were very helpful and answered all my questions. I got my Spark yesterday.

Give it a shot, maybe better from the horses mouth so to speak, but there are lots of forums out there as has been mentioned and you might get the answer you are looking for.

let us know what happens Thumbs Up

Stevie GooGs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:10 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have any sample images of this? DJI are next to useless when it comes to support, i fly an Inspire 2 and tbh i speak to more users on Facebook groups to see if other users have the same problems.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

bladerunner
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:42 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

latest firmware and checked the camera settings....erm last owner put -2,-2,-2 so upped the sharpness to +1 and its helped but now you get a bit of noise even if exposed right but nothing much so a big improvement. I know its tap to focus but cant honestly see a micro sensor and F2.2 lens needing that much focus when my samsung s7 edge gets just about a meter to infinity in focus lol. sharpness has made a big improvement but still blurry corners however its not total mush now so I'll live with it. the drone is 11 weeks old and im its 3rd owner ....its going to get some serious use this summer if the weather holds good! It does look to me like DJI kinda try and get that shallow DOF look by keeping the image sharp where you focus and drop off the compression away from that point? If the original owner can find the receipt it'll go back but im not so worried now.

Plus point I tried tripod mode tonight with low ISO and long exposures and the images were actually pretty damn good on the stills front!

Thanks for all the advice and inspire2 is one of the few DJI products I aint flown. Do have an A3 flight controller with Lightbridge 2 on a 6s hex and I work with a guy who flys the I1 and a P4pro quite a lot...but not seen raw I2 footage to have a play with!! I do shoot full frame DSLR's for a living ....video from my 5D4 is nice if rather memory hungry at 500Mbs Wink
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1