Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Cheap Trackers

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:30 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Cheap Trackers Reply with quote

Has anyone had any experience of this type of thing?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Mini-Realtime-Car-GPS-GSM-Tracker-Locator-Vehicle-Van-Personal-Tracking-Device/292400215553?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

At under £15 I thought I'd give it a go as I have plenty of spare SIMS lying around.

I'm actually going to put it on my boat rather than a bike but obviously same principle.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:12 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since it's you, this is as far as I'll scratch my itch.

https://i.imgur.com/RhF9O8J.png?1

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put it here because I thought people might be interested in putting one on their bike you fussy wee haggis muncher you. Razz

I don't need one on MY bike because the garage Queen doesn't get left anywhere for the scrotes to get at it.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:42 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couple of mates have them and find them useful. Check out ongoing fees though, you basically have to take out a PAYG mobile account and it sends out SMS messages. Depending on how many of the features you have turned on, they can hoover credit.

They are really handy if you are a theif. You can put one onto a vehicle you'd like to steal then see where it's parked up at night so you can pinch it at your leisure. The magnetic ones are best for this.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:26 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I don't need one on MY bike because the garage Queen doesn't get left anywhere for the scrotes to get at it.

I'll drink to that!

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Couple of mates have them and find them useful...

They are really handy if you are a theif. You can put one onto a vehicle you'd like to steal then see where it's parked up at night so you can pinch it at your leisure. The magnetic ones are best for this.

Shocked

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:24 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

3 for a £1 in poundland.

https://images-eu.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/41CP2RW1ghL.jpg

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:59 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Since it's you, this is as far as I'll scratch my itch.

https://i.imgur.com/RhF9O8J.png?1

https://gearheads.org/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/BSA-Sidecar-Speedboat.jpg

Thumbs Up

B0ndy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:58 - 16 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trouble with these is these hook directly up to the battery, scrotes can easily disable them. When I received my stolen bike back I noticed the scrotes had cut the wires for my heated grips just by the battery terminals - I assume they thought it was a tracker.

I like the idea of an Oxford tracker, one that contains it's own battery and is quite small - making it difficult for anyone to disable unless they find it.

https://www.oxfordproducts.com/motorcycle/brands/oxford/tracker/oxford_tracker/

burt99
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 11:20 - 20 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got 2 from China. As said in this thread get the one with a battery back up.

Fitted one to the bike, velcro'd to the inside of the rear fairing. Second is fixed to the car, under the rear bumper. They work fine facing the ground as the GPS signal bounces back apparently.

You can geofence your house and if it goes outside the geofence it'll text you that it's moving.

2x cheapo 2p/text sim cards with a fiver's credit loaded. Make sure you text them every so often to keep your credit live.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:47 - 20 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

burt99 wrote:
Got 2 from China. As said in this thread get the one with a battery back up.

Fitted one to the bike, velcro'd to the inside of the rear fairing. Second is fixed to the car, under the rear bumper. They work fine facing the ground as the GPS signal bounces back apparently.

You can geofence your house and if it goes outside the geofence it'll text you that it's moving.

2x cheapo 2p/text sim cards with a fiver's credit loaded. Make sure you text them every so often to keep your credit live.

Linky please?

zark
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:20 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got one of these for the dog.

Works really really well, real time GPS on a map on your phone, with a £4 ish monthly subscription. Geo-fence alerts too.

I got it for £25 of eBay, and was wondering about getting another for the bike/kids etc...

The charger's a bit odd, like a clothes peg with pins, so that would need sorting out, and I'm not sure if it would track and charge at the same time... But I would get one in a heartbeat if they did a bike one that could be wired in to the battery.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1