Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Would you choose a 600 or 750 over a thou?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays
View previous topic : View next topic  

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:44 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Would you choose a 600 or 750 over a thou? Reply with quote

I'd like to get back into some track days this year. Six months ago I sold my K5 gsxr750 purely as I was going away. I liked that bike - it was light, felt like a 600 on steroids, sadly I didn't get to ride it on the track.

I'm looking to spend up to, say, £4k.

It would appear that you pay no more, and more often, less, for a 1000. I'm particularly taken by the K5/6's, but don't want to be scared of the fucker.

So, to those of you with more track experience than me, would you plump for a thou, or is that overkill compared with a 600 or 750, and therefore less overall fun?

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:47 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my experience with track days and even got my racing licence and raced a total of two races on a VFR400 lol

Well then I would say a 600 is more fun and better for you than a superbike. I had an R1 and an R6 at the same time and the R6 was the bike of choice for me.

You've got to ask yourself whether you have outgrown a 600 on track, I doubt you have.

Best of luck whatever you do, track days on ANY bike is fun. Racing even more fun if you can handle being a nervous wreck at the start of the race to the point of palpitations Smile

Last edited by struan80 on 21:04 - 07 Jan 2019; edited 1 time in total

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:29 - 06 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done a couple of seasons pit bike racing, and a couple of desmodue races way back. (Only 50bhp there).

I've in no way outgrown a 600 - but I did prefer my 750 over the 600's I've had, but as I say, didn't take it on the track.

I'm under no illusions that whatever I get will be better than me, another thing to consider is that the people I'll be going with will likely be on thous, or 954s.

Possibly another 750 could be the answer here. Or a 675?

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 09:10 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't speak for you, but the happiest I've ever been on track is on my 600RR. I think the main reason behind that is the lack of weight rather than lack of power. A bit more power wouldn't go amiss, but I think when we're getting into 140-175bhp territory that would start to get scary. I think a GSXR750 would be ideal, as long as it's one that weighs the same as a gnats whatever.

[edit] Looks like the lightest wet-weight GSXR750 is the '11 plate model, which has a measured power figure of 122.1bhp according to the Sport Rider weights and measurement page:

https://www.sportrider.com/tech/sportbike-weights-and-measurements

The columns below are as follows:
bike type, date tested, mpg, power, torque, wet weight pounds, dry weight pounds

CBR600RR ('08) 7/08 38/40/39 102.0 @ 13,500 43.6 @ 11,250 413 384

vs

GSX-R750 ('11) 9/11 39/45/44 122.1 @ 12,500 53.7 @ 11,000 419 392

[edit]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 13:10 - 07 Jan 2019    Post subject: Re: Would you choose a 600 or 750 over a thou? Reply with quote

Are you going for a track bike, or a road bike to use on the track?
Some really good deals on high spec litre track bikes.

I do like my 675 - the extra midrange saves some hassle on gearing, where a R6 say, you might be really wanting to change gearing to suit slower/mid speed corners on the track, you can leave it as it is.

It's still satisfying getting and staying past a superbike on the supersport, but the trend has been towards the former - so it means if you want people of a similar skill to play with, you really need the bigger bike.

I've been hankering after a circa-200hp ZX10R or S-RR, but in reality it'd make more sense to do some rounds racing to find more people to play with.
And my shoulders are dodgy as it is, so adding longer breaking zones will make it worse not better.

If you wanted a play on a track 675 sometime, we might be able to arrange something. (It does have a V5, but I haven't bothered with MOT.)

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:18 - 21 Jan 2019    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've bought back my old 750.

Listed as 163kg dry, so plenty lightweight and definitely better than me.

Just got to get myself a van and wait for the decent weather now, then see how rusty I am on track Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 67 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Racing & Trackdays All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1