Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Daelim roadwin Cush drive

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Sammydroid
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:28 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Daelim roadwin Cush drive Reply with quote

Hi to all

I’m a bit new to this so not sure exactly what to ask

I’ve got a daelim roadwin 125 and it needs new Cush drive rubbers. I’ve been quoted 40 quid for these + labour but I’m seeing loads of them on such as eBay for way cheaper (some are like 15 quid for 4) but these are for Honda cg’s etc

My question is, if they look similar to the ones on mine would they fit? Because I feel as though my garage is taking me for a mug at 40 quid

Cheers
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Daelim roadwin Cush drive Reply with quote

Sammydroid wrote:

My question is, if they look similar to the ones on mine would they fit? Because I feel as though my garage is taking me for a mug at 40 quid

To be honest, one cush drive rubber looks very like another. But they have to fit properly, otherwise they'll be no better than the worn ones.

40 quit to supply and fit doesn't sound OTT, really.

Sammydroid
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:20 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basically, I bought another back wheel because mine was buckled (I’ve apparently been riding it like that since I got it off it’s previous owner, long story) but the wheel I’ve bought was advertised as needing new Cush drive rubbers. I thought it would be a simple case of removing the ones from mine to the new (second hand) one but I’ve obviously discovered that it’s not that easy

They are the round ones that the sprocket studs sit in

Sammydroid
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:22 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They’re wanting 40 quid just for the parts, then however much it’s going to cost me in labour (don’t know how long it’ll take them to do it)
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Boring). Unhide this post / all posts.

Sammydroid
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:49 - 21 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s 2 pics of the hubs. The one with the decent rubbers is the buckled one I took off mine and the other is the state the rubbers are in on the second hand one hence the reason for replacement
Teflon-Mike This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Confusing). Unhide this post / all posts.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:09 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, Abusive given for blatant and repeated waycism. He's been told over and over.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 14:27 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whether the road-vehicle as registered was first assembled in Tiwan, Balangladesh, or Homatsu, is of little pertinence.....

Fact is these bushes are a bast'd to get out, without wrecking the wheel, or not... in which case wheel was probably wrecked to start with, lacking metal to grip the ruddy things!

Hardly racist to say so, especially when criticism also applied to original design and product emanating from Japan!!!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 20:15 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

These rubbers are not the ' just drop in ' type. They are a metal/rubber composite bush and will be a difficult job to change as I guess they are in a blind hole. The old ones will need grinding out with a die grinder, then collapsing in on themselves. I wouldn't undertake it for forty quid including parts..................

Raffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:39 - 22 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

steve the grease wrote:
I wouldn't undertake it for forty quid including parts..................

Neither would the outfit that quoted for the job:-
Sammydroid wrote:
I’ve been quoted 40 quid for these + labour.....

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 13:07 - 23 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cush drive rubbers act like a shock absorber. They absorb some of the vibrations from the chain, make the bike less jerky on closed-throttle deceleration, and make gearchanges a bit smoother. They also help to extend chain life.

However, that particular type of cush drive just isn't very good. I've done a back-to-back comparison on one of my bikes where I have a back wheel with a round cush drive (RSA model) and one with a proper cush drive (RSD model). The proper cush drive works.

You've been riding around with a buckled wheel without noticing. I doubt you would notice a big different between new and old round cush drive rubbers.

So if the rubbers in the replacement wheel are all there and look vaguely ok, I would just ride it and see how you go. Replacement is, as said, a proper bastard job. The labour is likely to cost more than the parts. Even DIYing it, you'll easily spend £50 on the tools to do the job, and quite possibly ruin the wheel in the process.

bassmastergen...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 19:38 - 28 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be grateful that they can get the parts and someone is prepared to fit them. The Daelim scooter I had some years ago was definitely praiseworthy, but their dealer network had collapsed by 2008, and you could hardly find any spares at that point.

£40 + labour sounds perfectly reasonable given that - as steve the grease has already said - these will have to be extracted with a die grinder. Get it fixed and continue to enjoy riding it.

There's a lot of shit being talked in this thread by people who don't understand that a) South Korea != China, and b) not all cush rubbers simply drop right in. Such is the Internet.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:30 - 28 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bassmastergeneral wrote:
There's a lot of shit being talked in this thread by people

Which people, plural?

Bodytard arguably doesn't count as a person. He's more like if Koko the gorilla had learned to type instead of sign.

Sammydroid
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:53 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ended up just buying yet another wheel in the end (i’ll just sell the other one on at a loss, let someone else deal with it Wink )

One i bought was only £55 quid inc postage off ebay and it came with a decent tyre, bushes, sprocket and the disc as well.

Would have cost more to have the work done

But thanks for all the advice
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 358 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1