Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yet another tyre thread

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:11 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Yet another tyre thread Reply with quote

So, started to use the bike for commuting (600 Hornet) and Friday morning the roads were damp and greasy, and I felt I had no confidence grip wise, but felt fine on the ride home in the dry

A quick recap of my back story, passed DAS 6 months ago, bought 2003 Hornet with 15k miles, tyres 'look' in good condition, plenty of tread etc

But, as it is such a low mileage bike for its age, I have no idea how old the tyres actually are (Bridgestone BT 023's)

So I went back to my training school to ask their advise, as the have a small workshop and offer tyres/fitting

They pretty much only ever recommend Bridgestone, as that is what they use on all their school bikes, and I know most folk on here recommend Michelin PR3/4's

They have offered me either Bridgestone BT 023's at £185 fitted or BT 016's at £173 fitted

So, thoughts please, are these decent prices for a start, and how do they compare to PR3/4's

TL:DR Which is best, Bridgestone BT 023, 016 or Michelin PR3/4, and would old tyres give little confidence on wet greasy roads

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:57 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The PR3/4 are much better in the wet IMO. I could easily spin up the Bridgestone bt021 my bike came with at 50mph going for an overtake, not so with the PR's. Haven't tried the other two but the PRs work so well I've not had any reason to change.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:10 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Yet another tyre thread Reply with quote

Did you lose traction?

If not - then pretty much, I'd suggest it's "all in your head" ... it doesn't mean your tyres are good or are not - they may still be sucky Smile.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:55 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why does everyone here recommend only PR3 and PR4 tyres? Do they pay you or something? Thinking

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 10:59 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's because that's what was recommended to them when they asked and when they had them fitted, the new tyres were amazing compared to the shitty squared off tyres they had previously. Wink

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:03 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
Why does everyone here recommend only PR3 and PR4 tyres? Do they pay you or something? Thinking

Sort of. I won a pair of PR2s from a bike magazine years ago. They were better than anything I'd had before.
BT021s are shite - especially the fronts.
I didn't find 023s much better. Neither model gave me much confidence. Never lacked confidence in PR2/4. Haven't tried anything else. If you're happy with a tyre, why would you?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are so many choices and good deals, though. Thinking

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:29 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
There are so many choices and good deals, though. Thinking

I consider tyres to be the single most important factor in making riding enjoyable. I've done the years of trying different makes and models; sometimes I found improvements, sometimes not. But if you find a tyre that just works for you, never gives you any ring-puckering moments, and you feel you can rely on, why take the risk of wasted money? How can I find something better, if I haven't found the limits of what I currently use?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:41 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:

Mainly because the PR3 and PR4 have a very good reputation especially from the courier industry, many of my fellow couriers have these tyres.

I'm on Bridgestone 023's on my CBF500 and they are good tyres but when they need replacing I'm going for the PR4's.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:42 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Yet another tyre thread Reply with quote

G wrote:
Did you lose traction?

If not - then pretty much, I'd suggest it's "all in your head" ... it doesn't mean your tyres are good or are not - they may still be sucky Smile.

This is just it, I don't know if it's just in my head, or I have shitty old/work out tyres

I mean, they look fine, have plenty of tread etc

But no, I don't not lose traction, but just felt a bit squirmy when cornering at speed (NSL dual carriageway)

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:42 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Yet another tyre thread Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
But, as it is such a low mileage bike for its age, I have no idea how old the tyres actually are (Bridgestone BT 023's)

There will be a date code on the side. Usually after the DOT mark it will be in the format wwyy, so 0916 means 9th week 2016. Old tyres are ok if stored correctly.

I used a 2013 racetec front last year, would not advise going older. This gave plenty of confidence on wet roads, more than I would have from a new brigestone. Tyres depend a lot on your preference and the feedback you are used to.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:00 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Yet another tyre thread Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

There will be a date code on the side. Usually after the DOT mark it will be in the format wwyy, so 0916 means 9th week 2016. Old tyres are ok if stored correctly.

I used a 2013 racetec front last year, would not advise going older. This gave plenty of confidence on wet roads, more than I would have from a new brigestone. Tyres depend a lot on your preference and the feedback you are used to.

Would that be this number then, T0902, if that is the case these are some very old tyres

https://farm1.staticflickr.com/788/40965101072_e2f90e1ec2_b.jpgIMG_20180325_145814 by Richard Smith, on Flickr

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:55 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Yet another tyre thread Reply with quote

No I dont think thats it, might be, but they are almost always after the DOT marking with some other codes and in a recessed oval like this,

www.popgom.es/upload/popgom/editor/image/corporate/FAQ/DOT.jpg

It is often only on one side.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:00 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Yet another tyre thread Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
No I dont think thats it, might be, but they are almost always after the DOT marking with some other codes and in a recessed oval like this,

Cheers, i'll take another look and see if i can find something like that

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:30 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Yet another tyre thread Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

How's about this one DAK4313

Does that mean its a 2013 tyre?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:55 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Yet another tyre thread Reply with quote

Yes that is it. 5 years is getting a bit old, but depends on the tyre. Manufacturers say they have a 5 year warehouse shelf life, and I guess a year or two use after that.

Last year I fitted a 2013 and it was perfectly grippy - swapped it off in september and has sat in the garage, waiting to be scrapped, it now has deep cracks all over the centre.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 21:00 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Yet another tyre thread Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:

But no, I don't not lose traction, but just felt a bit squirmy when cornering at speed (NSL dual carriageway)

How were your tyre pressures?

Oh and - I've ridden on track on at least five year old tyres and probably more - there's lots of factors involved.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre pressures are fine, and don't drop, even if left for weeks at a time, there are small cracks around the sidewall, but nothing major

Going to ride into work on it tomorrow and ask a few of the long term bikers what their thoughts are in them

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:10 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

I used to two wheel drift on BT021's in cold / greasy conditions on roundabouts. Like riding on hard plastic. Not fun.

rpsmith79, PR4's are scarily good in cold / damp conditions. They have a good rep for a reason.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:04 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pigeon wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I used to two wheel drift on BT021's in cold / greasy conditions on roundabouts. Like riding on hard plastic. Not fun.

rpsmith79, PR4's are scarily good in cold / damp conditions. They have a good rep for a reason.

I'll see what sort of price they will do me some PR4's for

What sort of price should i be looking at for a set of PR4's fitted (supply loose wheels)

Sizes are 120/70 17, 180/55 17

mytyres.com say £197 for a set of PR3's or £205 for PR4's (supply only)

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:35 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

rpsmith79 wrote:
What sort of price should i be looking at for a set of PR4's fitted (supply loose wheels)

£226 fitted to loose wheels at the place I always use.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:48 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:
rpsmith79 wrote:

£226 fitted to loose wheels at the place I always use.

Cheers, at least i have a price to compare against

Though saying that, just had a couple of the bikers at work look at my tyre, and they reckon it's got a good few months left on it yet, so i might hold off for a bit first and see how i get on when i'm a bit more confident riding it, which will be mostly in the dry to be fair

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:37 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't get on with PR3 s at all but the 4's have been a revelation, especially in the wet.

The longevity of them is also way better than anything I've used previously. They are slow to square off and those off cuts on the front stop it feathering.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 00:35 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Bridgestones on my bike, had them on since i bought the bike...no idea how old they are :/

The front is ok, but the back looks in bad shape, my MOT is due in April and it will fail.
Not sure which to go for BT-023 or Pilot 4s...

notice they do a Pilot 5 now too has anyone upgraded from 4 to 5 on here? if so whats the verdict Very Happy

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:42 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:

notice they do a Pilot 5 now too has anyone upgraded from 4 to 5 on here? if so whats the verdict Very Happy

Not aware of the new PR5, why not use this opportunity to bung on a PR5 since you need a new tyre or play it safe with a PR4.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 25 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1