Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Single biggest improvement in the motorcycling experience?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:23 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Single biggest improvement in the motorcycling experience? Reply with quote

In road riding.

(Yes, I know, everything has got worse: too much traffic, too many speed cameras, too little spent on road repairs, too much bike theft...
But something must still be making it worth it for some of you, or you wouldn't be here, and not everyone here only wants a bike to make the commute easier.)

I thought of limiting this to the last, say 15 years, but for the sake of a more varied discussion, decided not to.

For me, it's improvements in tyre technology, no contest.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Last edited by chickenstrip on 13:06 - 24 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:43 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheaper insurance than a car.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:01 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobrainer.

Rainpal.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:02 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In a world where we do more than one thing at once, i find the single minded sole concentration that biking requires very relaxing. I can be tired after a long day at work but that 40 minute ride home is bliss.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:05 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UncleBFester wrote:
In a world where we do more than one thing at once, i find the single minded sole concentration that biking requires very relaxing. I can be tired after a long day at work but that 40 minute ride home is bliss.

Has that improved for you in the time you have been riding motorcycles?
I think I may have made my post confusing, so have put some in brackets now.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lack of police. I can safely speed more often than ever before, without fear of getting nicked due to eviscerated police forces.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
UncleBFester wrote:

Has that improved for you in the time you have been riding motorcycles?
I think I may have made my post confusing, so have put some in brackets now.

I was just about to edit that and add;

The thing that helps with that for me with new bike compared to very old one .. is far better lights, tyres and suspension - it's no hassle to ride at all. That makes it that bit more enjoyable. I don't need to think about how dark it might get / less bothered about the weather etc etc and with it being fuel injected, i know it will start without a load of fucking about in the damp / cold / wet.

Last edited by UncleFester on 13:30 - 24 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:29 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to agree with tyre technology, my sport touring rubber is as good as a pure sports tyre 10/15 years ago, works in rain and lasts 4x as long dealing with the abuse that 150+ horsepower gives the rear.

c_dug
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:30 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Single biggest improvement in the motorcycling experienc Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
But something must still be making it worth it for some of you, or you wouldn't be here

I've not had a (usable) bike for a good while.

Pretty much just keep coming back because I've been doing it for so long now Laughing

Old habits die hard!

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:11 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That riding safely is more difficult.

This means it requires a lot of focus and you can clear your mind by riding so it's a form of meditation.

It's done wonders with my insomnia.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:21 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

This means it requires a lot of focus and you can clear your mind by riding so it's a form of meditation.

I don't think that has ever changed one way or another for me. In some ways (tyres, suspension, brakes), it has actually become easier to ride safely ime. But I haven't had to ride regularly in busy built-up areas for a long time, so I guess it's subjective.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:54 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd say tyres, and very grudgingly admit fuel injection.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mr Hammers wrote:
Lack of police. I can safely speed more often than ever before, without fear of getting nicked due to eviscerated police forces.

I think that advantage is vastly outweighed by the number of speed cameras these days, TBH

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:24 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember Perelli Demons on my old LC 250 being good tyres, so I think good tyres have been around for a long time if you were prepared to pay for them.
My old LC also had good suspension, so it’s not that for me.

I reckon for me it has to be brakes.
My old GT 250 had a single disc up front and it was ffffing scary in the wet, as was my old LC 250.

These days I don’t seem to have as many squeaky bum moments as I used to in the past due to hard braking.
My modern Hyosung would knock my old Suzuki GT 250 into a cocked hat when it comes hard stopping.
I reckon my Hyosung would give my LC a run for its money in the stopping department as well.

So for me it’s brakes and pads/discs.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:59 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say it's improved my bike yet as im still waiting for parts and then dyno time. But modern day two stroke tuning knowledge and development , particularly in exhaust design and also in having access to reasonable priced aftermarket ignition systems.

Mr Hammers
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:05 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Mr Hammers wrote:

I think that advantage is vastly outweighed by the number of speed cameras these days, TBH

But once you know where a camera is it's easy to avoid getting caught by it. You never know if any of the cars you just passed at 100+ has a copper in it, or whether there's one waiting for you just around the corner.

I doubt we'd have much fewer cameras even if all police forces were at full capacity either.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:24 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thinking
Goretex.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mainly, less Socks on BCF.

ABS and Traction control. Thoughtless riding. Smile

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Street Triple.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:31 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres. We all know how today's rubber is far better than the ditchfinders 10-15 years ago.

A very close second - Helmet/dash cams.
Keeps the inattentive jizzmonkeys in cars honest when they fuck up, yet again.

Enduro Numpty
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 22:31 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

In nearly 40 years on road bikes just about everything has improved. Modern brakes are superb compared to what I rode with in the 1970's, engine performance and reliability is massively better and being able to take it as a given that any bike of modern design is going to handle better than anything I ever rode back in the day. All of these things and more have greatly enhanced my riding experience, but if we're limited to one thing then it has to be tyres. I still get absolute shite mileage from modern tyres as I did with the roadrunners and tt100's but the level of grip offered by modern tyres in wet or dry is beyond compare.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:04 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best thing that has come during my 2 decade+ hiatus away from bikes is the humble pinlock visor.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:15 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevlar as used as a layer of protection in the backside and knees of biker jeans which I wear in the summer.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:23 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mousses (i DO ride on the road with them)

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:50 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate riding on the road, it’s shit.

Still ride to work in decent weather but I’m at the point where I’ve done it all now.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 26 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4