Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Single biggest improvement in the motorcycling experience?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:51 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
I'd say tyres, and very grudgingly admit fuel injection.

This +1,

I was always anti fuel injection. Too complicated I thought + the first injection systems weren't perfect, but nowadays it's just the best possible way of mixing petrol with air. Better fuel economy and always a perfect fuel/air ratio regardless of the ambient temperature and elevation. More power as well, I do believe. Thumbs Up

I also am going to add motorcycle gear. Proper protection is nowadays very affordable to many and that is a good thing. Back protectors saved many people from getting crippled, proper knee protections helped to keep the knees intact and so on. Helmets also got more safe. I'm not that old but I do remember times motorcycle riders only wore leather suits or jackets and that was it. Might save you from the road rash, but that's about it. Broken limbs, shattered knees, elbows and ankles... Thumbs Down

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 00:59 - 25 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:54 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just straight up reliability.

When I started riding a journey of say 200 miles was a success if you don't have to stop for anything other than fuel. You planned the journey and what spares and tools you carried with the efficiency of a military operation.

Now I could walk out to the garage, get my bike out and ride anywhere in Europe and wouldn't worry about breakdowns.

Looking back in time I think the first bike I ever had the faith in to get me where I wanted to go was the FJ1200.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:59 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

RhynoCZ wrote:
the first injection systems weren't perfect

Back in '85, I couldn't fault the FI on the Kawasaki 750 Turbo. Totally glitch-free. What was the first production motorcycle to have it?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:27 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
RhynoCZ wrote:
the first injection systems weren't perfect

Back in '85, I couldn't fault the FI on the Kawasaki 750 Turbo. Totally glitch-free. What was the first production motorcycle to have it?

I reckon a version of the Z1000, around 79/80.

There was a Munch that had it before, but that was a hand built special, which can't really be classed as mass produced.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:47 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

I reckon a version of the Z1000, around 79/80.

There was a Munch that had it before, but that was a hand built special, which can't really be classed as mass produced.

Had a look, and as far as I can tell, that's correct; a custom version of the Z1000, 1980. And even then apparently journalists were saying it was nigh on perfect. No complaints of snatchiness, but then, it didn't have to cope with such stringent emissions controls and all the gubbins that go with that. In fact, it was Kawasaki facing up to the fact that emissions were going to become an issue that prompted them to use it.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:33 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
I hate riding on the road, it’s shit.

Still ride to work in decent weather but I’m at the point where I’ve done it all now.

I love road riding, it's the only place I do ride. Off road never appealed to me, and couldn't do it now anyway. Never got around to riding on track, but I know once or twice wouldn't be enough, and never really been in a position to afford it a lot.

I am pretty bored with short day rides though, which is why I got into touring. Not only have I ridden some brilliant roads now, but I love the exploring side of it too. That has made my more recent riding experience better than ever before.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 14:47 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heated grips.

/endthread

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:28 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can just about tolerate road riding in the right places now, but it would be better abroad in a warm country with less traffic, lower speed limits/ less cut&thrust rushing about, and more scenic and mountain type roads. Small bikes would be all you'd want generally too.

Off road always appealed more to me and was my first love on two wheels. I want to get back into trials and technical enduro riding, when I have the time and means to.

Can understand track days and stuff like sprinting, hill climbing events and drag racing. But it's all expensive and you can't just pop out your front door and do a track day every time you get an hour spare.

Fuel injection vs Carbs?
With expensive smooth bore carbs set up perfectly at the top end there should be not a difference in peak power theoretically, but on a performance orientated EFI system, there should be a touch more area under the curve and better transitional fueling again in a perfect set up.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:07 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have only been riding on the road 9 years but been on bikes since i was 5.
IMO tyre tech, lighting and fuel economy are the biggest steps forward.
Also engine power, not so much of an issue imo as anything over 100 is good with me, but we have utterly insane power to weight ratios these days.

HIDs (proper bike ones with a shield to preserve the lighting pattern) are a game changer, i used to ride 40 miles of unlit lanes every night to see the mrs.Even osram night breakers dont compare to the HIDs.
All we need now is for cornering headlights to become standard, i tried a friends street triple fitted with one the other week and it was properly nice being able to see round the corner at night.

On rubber, first big bike i had was fitted with Avon Azzaros, they nearly killed me twice.The sods would let go under moderate braking on a GSX750F (which had very soft brakes to start with).And they took 10/15 miles to get warm enough to make decent grip.
Compared to the PR2 & PR4s i have mainly used the last 6 years and its a night and day difference.Grip well right away, have never once let go on me once warm and i can ride in the rain without constantly thinking "this is how i die".Plus i get 8/10K out of em... no brainer really.

Golgarth
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:50 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

LED lights area a godsend in on dark lanes. So much better than even HIDs.

Riding with decent LEDs has been the greatest revelation for me.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:41 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My bike was released 17 years ago, but I can say it has fucking good lights that are better than most cars. Hids are a major annoyance, many cars now have them, and not set correctly.

Tyres have improved, mostly cold weather and life, but good tyres were available back then, and shit tyres still exist.

So for me, it is ebay. I can buy any part I need at a fraction of what it might have cost, and then used parts even cheaper.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:02 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm tempted to agree with improvements in tyre and suspension tech but I have to say, I'm really enjoying my old CX500 which is now 38. Admittedly it has adjustable Hagon twin shocks and fork springd which must be better than what they came with originally but the brakes are pretty much as they came (they're rubbish) and it's on cross-ply tyres (BT45). It doesn't offer the performance of a modern bike but it handles surprisingly well and is more entertaining than I expected. It's by far and away the easiest bike I've ridden with a pillion on it and it's really smooth.

I enjoy road riding but I live in Scotland where the roads are fairly quite during the week and there's some really cracking bits and scenic places. I've I lived somewhere more densely populated it wouldn't be the same.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 25 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My previous reply was a bit shitty cause I was pissed up.

The best bits of modern (well 88-89 onwards) bikes are 17” wheels, cartridge forks and aluminium frames. Modern tyres, even narrow rubber is also very nice and tends to work in a wider range of conditions then even the best tyres 20 years ago. Can’t stand EFI, don’t understand it and it’s a pig to work on (even taking the tank off is a twat).

biker7
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 05:53 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Modern bikes have got ever more lavished with rider technology and dearer! Most of it is marketing. My riding skill helps me to corner more than traction control ever could. But then I prefer uncomplicated bikes with no disrespect to those who like to spend money on the best gizmos. I agree with the tyre bit - I had Supercorsas on my Daytona and went to a sport touring when they soon wore out! Boy did I regret that - the grip and lean angles achieved by the former over the latter were chalk and cheese. The new Busa, if it happens will no doubt be higher tech. Better to ride.....hmmm. I venture to say, the riders of yesteryear may have been more skilled than today's hi tech whizz kids. Throttle, brakes balance etc. Don't underestimate basic riding skills. Retro bikes are getting a bit soft too. Still, the new bikes are pretty tasty, nevertheless. Would I take a new Fireblade if you threw it at me. You bet! But I'd turn off the modes whenever I could! Still we'll (you'll, I'll be too old) all be riding electric before long. Oh gawd!

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:32 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

biker7 wrote:
Modern bikes have got ever more lavished with rider technology and dearer! Most of it is marketing. My riding skill helps me to corner more than traction control ever could. But then I prefer uncomplicated bikes with no disrespect to those who like to spend money on the best gizmos. I agree with the tyre bit - I had Supercorsas on my Daytona and went to a sport touring when they soon wore out! Boy did I regret that - the grip and lean angles achieved by the former over the latter were chalk and cheese. The new Busa, if it happens will no doubt be higher tech. Better to ride.....hmmm. I venture to say, the riders of yesteryear may have been more skilled than today's hi tech whizz kids. Throttle, brakes balance etc. Don't underestimate basic riding skills. Retro bikes are getting a bit soft too. Still, the new bikes are pretty tasty, nevertheless. Would I take a new Fireblade if you threw it at me. You bet! But I'd turn off the modes whenever I could! Still we'll (you'll, I'll be too old) all be riding electric before long. Oh gawd!

I won't (or wouldn't if I wasn't too old either Laughing ). 'Electric is for unbelievers' to quote a song from Starlight express. I know it's because I'm a dinosaur who doesn't like that sort of change though. I expect, in another era, I would have been advocating the horse over that dirty newcomer, the internal combustion engine.

Back on topic, I have to agree with handling. Some of the old bikes had the title 'widowmaker' and it was earned. I doubt if there is a modern bike from the Japs or Europeans that is a bad handler and if there is, it will be by modern standards, nothing compared with H1s and the like.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 08:32 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 15 year time frame, 'suggestion' almost covers the entire time I have had just ONE road-bike!

The CB-Seven-Fifty, did not have particularly 'advanced' suspension to begin with... I have 'improved' what it had... but what it had was a pair of chitty after-market R&R copies for a 400 Super-Dream, I think!

Tyres? Again, when I acquired it it had some soft and flakey concrete, I think 'Concorde' remolds on it! I have to say, in a rather perverse way they did 'add' to the riding experience, and if pushed... and not forced to get on the damn things, even go as far as suggest gave a 'sort' of fun not experienced for many decades!

Lights? More ho-hum, I think.... Seven-Fifty arrived with a chopped down polaris wind-jammer fairing bracket supporting what pretended to be a headlamp, vaguely pointing.. err, yeah.. just pointing I think lol! Having oy-dee-uz, when trying to tackle the naferiouselt butchered wiring around the headstock; stretched to the frame mounted lamps and or renthal bars, or cut or wrapped to suit alternatives; melted headlamp switches, accessory relays, the perms is pretty exhaustive, I have tried singles, twins, frame mounted, fork-mounted, halogen and HID etc etc etc... have to say I DO like HID's.... if you get'em set up right and match bulbs to lenses...... but ultimately, the thing has a cheap, single, Super-Dream/LC copy after-market lamp, hung on moto-fizz fork brackets, with halogen bulb, fitted 'for expedience' and simplicity.... and it WORKS... riding to the road I can see does the rest... that is not a lot on a foggy-February night, but what the heck!

Ultimately... as far as the 'bike' is concerned, I am not certain that there has been much significant 'improvement' in the 'product' since the millennia.... just a shift in the compromises.

Accessories? Well, I put the first Disc-lock on the UK market.... oh-dear! It WAS a good idea at the time.... honest... not sure the monkey-metal offerings most are these days are all that effective, but still.... better than nowt... as long as you remember its there!!!!

The ONE gizmo, though, that really revolutionized my riding, was the Fog-City shield. Double glazing for visors... I think circa 1991 ish. Glued round the entire perifery of the inset, it does, if fitted properly to a brand new and clean visor give real double-glazing and dramatically reduce fogging... but doesn't fit very well to visors that curve in two axis.. hence the pin-lock prevalence today.

In 1988, I bought my first Shoei; then an unheard of brand of hat, and I was called daft for paying more for it than the price of a Bell Star; ino £140 I think.... but I went in shop, and stuck hats on my head and pretended I was making an obscene phone call, and it was the only one that didn't instantly fog.... so I bought it! The 'vented' full-face helmet, heralded by the Arai 'Super-Vent', which back to back with the defacto AGV of the era was simply in a different league, was a revelation; the Arai and Shoei's remained for anti-fogging a long way ahead of the game, for a very long while, probably a decade, even as cheaper, hats like the 'Alien' adopted simpson style chin grills. I have to say, that I had been reasonably impressed with my Lazer, in the late '80's, which saved my head and prompted the Shoei, and made of poly-carb featured early venting and was remarkeably light weight; but still a long way behind the Japanese incumbents. The FOG-City-Shield, though, even on a premium Shoei, was as much a dramatic improvement...

B-U-T these days I wear a Shark Evo 'flip', which I have to say I REALLY like.... no chin-down, no fogging! Makes me wonder what all the fuss was about really! Its also one of the only flips that you can practically ride in open or closed, so does work as a duel-hat... but gawd it IS heavy, and cost of a new visor for it is frightening! Still...

In answer to the original question then..

The Disc-Lock, has to get honorable mention; in 1990/91 when first put on the market there was nothing else like it, and struggling with dire bike thefts, heavy chains or awkward packlocks, it was a 'convenience'... that has probably had it's day.

Another honerable mention should go to the Frank-Thomas 'Aqua-Pak' I bought around 1990. Purpose made wet-weathers that folded up into thier own little belt pouch. They worked! Unlike old fishing trousers and hiking jackets and stuff, pressed into service; A-N-D easy to carry.... and of all protective wear, I find staying dry, rather harder than staying upright! So it WAS a big boon.

The vented Shoei helmet that actually stayed relatively 'fog-free', was through the 90's, a geme changer. The Fog-City-Shield, added to that for all weather commuting, even more so, and raised the bar on possibility and expectation.

Sealed Ring chains, probably deserve an honerable mention too; radial tyres, err... yeah... they HAVE been a game changer... b-u-t... pushed many, I think to ride beyond thier real limits of capability.... old cross-plies, one has to admit DID give plenty of brown trouser moments to suggest shutting the taps a tad!

Otherwise, I would have to say, that the biggest 'improvements' really have come in the world of accessories NOT bikes..... and things like throw-overs that don't fly-away, have been a real boon, and I don't even think twice about, now.

Biggest 'advance' of the last twenty or more years, though, I have to say is NOT technology but PRICE!

In 1990 a Shoei was worth 3x the price of an AGV because it just worked, and there was nothing else like it on the market, and a lot was like that. In the intervening years, product evolution rather than revolution has had its head; best of the best 'features' have been adopted, adapted and distilled, and 'value-engineered' down to a price, where even the cheapest of bikes or accessories boasts the sort of 'usability' that was, twenty-thirty years ago, either a dream, or the preserve of the dedicated enthusiast who could afford it..... now the 'generally-accepted-quality-level' has shifted center; and we DO tend to get a lot more for our money these days.....

But I don't think, that any 'one' thing can be said to have stood out, and I certainly don't think that you can hang an awful lot on any particular bit of motorcycle design technology, since the 1991 CBR600 came along as an 'integrated product', showing that the whole is more than the sum of its bits, and bottom line is the bottom dollar....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:49 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ABS, which can in fact brake better than you feel you can.

https://i.imgur.com/NmOKmbd.gif

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:01 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

I won't (or wouldn't if I wasn't too old either Laughing ). 'Electric is for unbelievers' to quote a song from Starlight express. I know it's because I'm a dinosaur who doesn't like that sort of change though.

Yup, petrol head here, until the planet dies!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:08 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
ABS, which can in fact brake better than you feel you can.

But most people seem to say they have never triggered it on their bike Question Is there something that has physically improved your riding experience, rather than psychologically, since you first took to two wheels? Or has ABS actually saved you from disaster, that you know of for fact? I'm not saying it's a bad thing, by the way.

Pinlock, heated grips...some people are easily pleased!

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:27 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT200Fan79 wrote:
My previous reply was a bit shitty cause I was pissed up.

The best bits of modern (well 88-89 onwards) bikes are 17” wheels, cartridge forks and aluminium frames. Modern tyres, even narrow rubber is also very nice and tends to work in a wider range of conditions then even the best tyres 20 years ago. Can’t stand EFI, don’t understand it and it’s a pig to work on (even taking the tank off is a twat).

I don't think the 17" wheel specifically is a better solution, it's just the ubiquity of it meant that tyre manufacturers made decent tyres for the size. I reckon most manufacturers could make awesome tyres for 18" and 16" wheels these days, but there isn't so much of a market for it.

For me, the best improvement of the last few years has been manufacturers deciding to produce naked bikes with decent chassis and chassis components. A naked bike that handles is a much more reasonable prospect for the road going motorcyclist than either a non handling budget naked, or a cripplingly uncomfortable supersports bike.

So, whoever said Street Triple, actually I agree. More specifically the Street Triple R (IMO).

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:02 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MarJay wrote:

I don't think the 17" wheel specifically is a better solution, it's just the ubiquity of it meant that tyre manufacturers made decent tyres for the size. I reckon most manufacturers could make awesome tyres for 18" and 16" wheels these days, but there isn't so much of a market for it.

But surely there was a reason other than making it easier for tyre manufacturers for going to 17" wheels, front and rear? I have a vague kind of memory of 16" fronts generally not being popular at one time, but can't remember why. I think it was more to do with handling than tyres? I can only think of one example from personal experience: Kawasaki GPZ600. I had an FZ750, pretty sure it was one of the later, 17" front versions*, and I swapped with my mate's GPZ for a ride. Despite claims of quicker steering, I remember I didn't like the Kawasaki, as I just couldn't seem to get it to turn in easily, which is supposedly why 16" wheels were introduced (in racing) in the first place Confused

Interesting bit found on t'net about it (source: https://global.yamaha-motor.com/showroom/yamaha-handling/list/vol06/02.html ):

Quote:
One of the elements considered a must during the early stages of the racer replica era was a 16-inch front wheel. Until then, it was the standard for supersport models to have 18-inch wheels front and rear as it was in racing. But then in the late-1970s, French tire manufacturer Michelin worked with Team Gallina from Italy that was running Suzuki factory bikes in the World GP to try something new—reducing the diameter of the front wheel and tire to 16 inches.
The 1970s brought not only increases in engine performance in the road race arena but also a dramatic jump in cornering performance due to advances in tire design, including the advent of the first racing slicks. This in turn led to a new type of racing style were cornering performance was the determining factor for competitiveness. This was evidenced by the appearance of racing legends like Kenny Roberts and Freddie Spencer, who would run skillfully through the corners while holding amazingly deep banking angles for the time. These shifts brought even more importance to focusing on cornering performance. What the riders now wanted in this new type of racing style was the lightest and sharpest responding characteristics possible when leaning the bike over into a turn. At the same time, this naturally brought more focus to things like achieving enough grip during hard braking and when banking the machine into a turn.
This then inspired the move to smaller diameter front wheels to try and enable lighter, more agile response by reducing the amount of inertial force in the bike’s roll direction when leaning it into a turn. Furthermore, efforts were made to increase grip during braking and mid-lean by adopting low-profile tires with wider tread surfaces. These were the initial aims of developing race machines with 16-inch front wheels.

However, as teams tried to put 16-inch front wheels to use in the World GP through trial and error, they found that the smaller diameter wheel proved advantageous on some tracks but not others. So, the conclusion was reached that the 16-inch front wheel alone was not an all-around solution for better race performance. Another factor that has to be mentioned here is the simultaneous shift to radial tires, but as everyone knows, entering the 1990s, the race world had arrived at the current size standard of 17-inch wheels for the front and rear.
Nonetheless, the “mission” of race replica model development at the time was to feed the technical advances of World GP race bikes back into production models as quickly as possible, and a new trend of using 16-inch front wheels—even with an 18-inch wheel for the rear—emerged with the VT250F in 1982 and continued until around 1984. “From the product planning stage of the FZ400R, we were told that if we were going to build a race replica model, a 16-inch front wheel was basically an absolute necessity, though Yamaha had never used a 16-inch front wheel until then,” recalls Jiro Izaki. For him, having finished the development project for the FJ1100 and now beginning to work on the FZ400R, this was a point of major concern.

“To tell the truth, I couldn’t get used to a 16-inch front wheel. From my perception, it was surprising how little steering effort was needed and how light it felt. I wondered if building a machine that leaned over so sharply and quickly was really the right thing to do,” confides Izaki. “I had always been told by my seniors that a bike depended first and foremost on the feeling of assurance it gave the rider, and my perceptions were also built on that. It lacked a trail feeling, and I didn’t like the moments when it felt as if the front wheel was slicing through the air [with a feeling of little grip]. I couldn’t ride a machine with a 16-inch front wheel that I felt scared with, and I believed that we shouldn’t put such a machine on the market.
“So, we worked to set a front alignment that felt stable. That’s why we didn’t use the dimensions of other bikes as reference. For the chassis rigidity as well, we changed the rigidity balance of the frame and the swingarm to accommodate this completely different combination [of wheel sizes]. We were working on these elements and trying new things right down to the wire, and that’s why it was just before the model went into production that we changed the cross-sectional shape of the swingarm and re-developed it. We were given a lot of flak for that,” recalls Izaki.

“What’s more, this spec change was one that involved a size that didn’t leave enough clearance from a design standpoint with the manufacturing technology in use at that time. By normal standards of the day, it had dimensions that couldn’t be assembled smoothly on the line. Formerly, the design engineers had the leading role in chassis design because they would decide on the rigidity balance during the initial design drawing stages and then the testing team would just be responsible for adjusting the alignment. But from around this time, the flow of development had begun to change,” explains Izaki.
In fact, the industry had indeed entered a new era in which not only handling stability but also handling character and quality were now points of evaluation. Furthermore, the reason behind the Yamaha Handling reputation was surely that Yamaha developers stuck to their long-held values and resisted being swayed by the popular trends of the times.
“We had finally managed to get even a 16-inch front wheel model to have the stability and sense of contact with the road that we felt was necessary. But since the selling point for all the other replica models was quick and sharp handling, the fact that our model felt heavier at times when simply comparing it against them led some people within the company to say that this feeling wasn’t what having a 16-inch front wheel was all about,” Izaki notes. “But for example, let’s say I was going to the absolute limit while track testing and for some reason I fall. If it’s between falling when I’m ready and prepared for that possibility or falling suddenly when I’m not expecting it, I definitely don’t want it to be the latter. In this sense, this is one more area where we learned important lessons with the FZ400R,” concludes Izaki.

MarJay wrote:
For me, the best improvement of the last few years has been manufacturers deciding to produce naked bikes with decent chassis and chassis components. A naked bike that handles is a much more reasonable prospect for the road going motorcyclist than either a non handling budget naked, or a cripplingly uncomfortable supersports bike.

So, whoever said Street Triple, actually I agree. More specifically the Street Triple R (IMO).

Have to agree with this. There was a time in the late 80s and the 90s where sports bikes seemed to rule the roost. In some ways, I think this was a good thing, as manufacturers used them to develop technology (much of which began life on the track), which then transferred over to more user-friendly machines later, as we are seeing now. But many of those 'classic' sports bikes were also roomier, more comfortable than today's fare.

*Actually, I'm not sure of that at all, but it was definitely easier to get it to corner than the GPZ.

Last edited by chickenstrip on 13:44 - 26 Mar 2018; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:43 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
The Street Triple.

Due to a combination of factors developed over many years. The Street Triple being an example of all that coming together in one bike, though I daresay it's not the only one.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:05 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyres that actually grip and fuel injection so the bastard actually starts.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The scratch resistance of modern plastic visors!

Back in the '80s plastic visors used to be opaque after 6 months of road use.

These days the helmet seems to wear out before the visor. My current one is two years old (I commute daily) and it's still unmarked.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:32 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

All my bikes are either actually or spiritually over 25 years old. The VFR is still technically in production but a new one is worse in every measurable way. Same goes for the wifes CB500.

The only thing I've done to that couldn't have been done 15 years ago is the tyres and they are indeed better.

So yes, I'll specifically go for silicone compound tyres rather than just tyres in general. Ones that grip wet roads. PR4s.

Fuel consumption seems to be better on newer bikes. I'm bunging a lot more bang-water in my old bus than guys on newer stuff over the same trip.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 31 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4