BCF: Bike Chat Forums

GPS security

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

MC900
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:20 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: GPS security Reply with quote

One of my bikes has recently been stolen as you may of seen my post. Now I'm looking for a cheap but decent GPS solution for my main bike. Does anyone have any recommendations for One? Cheers.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:29 - 24 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BikeTrac is the most known one but for all but new bikes the value, including repeat subscriptions, is often a fraction of the market value. As point out here, though, there are some catches in the T&C's.

Sportsbikeshop have recently started advertising this on the banner of their home page.

Only other ones I know about are cheap PAY-G mobiles.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:59 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK Bike trac is the most common. The BMW dealer in central London has switched to another brand, don't remember which one; they claim it's because this other brand is "better" and "drains less battery", but methinks it's because it gives them a bigger kickback. Other dealers (eg Honda Chiswick) still use Biketrac.

Bear in mind that these thingies may drain the battery if the bike is parked for long periods somewhere with no signal, eg an underground garage, as they probably try to ping the satellite more frequently. You should contact technical support to understand the technicalities and to understand if one brand is really different from another (I don't know).

Also bear in mind that the distinguished gentlemen we all hold in high esteem who work at insurers will do their best to void the policy if the unit's battery is drained. last time I renewed my policy, declaring the Bike Trac reduced my premium by £5 only, so I didn't declare it: my thinking was I have it for my own piece of mind, but the insurer cannot give me grief if the battery dies and the unit can't locate it.

One time I pushed the bike by a few metres without turning it on, I got a call from BikeTrac straight away. Another time I moved it in a van (and had forgot to tell BikeTrac), I got a call about 10 minutes - 1.5 miles (loading it into the van didn't trigger the alarm as I had turned the bike on to load it).

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 18:13 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

PS I remember a letter to Ride magazine a few months ago, in which a reader described that some oxygen thief, who had run into him while he was stationary at a junction, claimed he (the biker) was in fact speeding. The motorcyclist managed to prove the scrote was lying by saying that the GPS records of his biketrac proved he was right. To be fair I have no idea how accurate Biketrac's records can be or if they'd be admitted in court, but apparently the mere mention of a "GPS record" caused the gentleman to backtrack and to offer a settlement.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:34 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BikeTrac success:

https://www.bikechatforums.com/viewtopic.php?t=322278

andys675
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

afaik:-

biketrac uses gps and RF, watch the biketrac youtube videos and they show them using GPS to find the street, and RF to find the exact garage and this does drain the battery a little more than-

Trak-king, datatool (as in datatool alarm) only uses GPS so drains less and costs less, dealers like this because they can charge the same as biketrac but make a lot more profit.

I know biketrac can be removed when you switch you change your bike and used again

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:45 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The GPS periodically sends a signal.
AFAIK RF thingies are passive and only transmit data when prompted by some kind of scanner. So just having RF should not mean more battery consumption. Also, RF is useless without a specific scanner - I have no idea how many scanners police forces really have, if they're universal or if they should be provided and calibrated by Biketrac, etc.

Does anyone know more?

A few years ago there was also acutrac but I think they went bust.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:17 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

For absolute cheapy I have one of these......

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GPS-TRACKER-CAR-LOCATOR-3G-4G-TK102D-SMS-GPRS-TRACKING-DEVICE-DRONE-CHILD-BIKE/323142241449?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

It's a sim card one, you phone the number and it texts you back with a lat/long location and a google map visual position.

You can live track it according to the blurb bit I haven't worked that bit out yet. I need a 9 year old to show me how to do that Laughing

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:34 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something like Biketrac is of course more expensive, but it gets armed and disarmed automatically just by turning the key on and off.
The cheaper ones typically need to be armed manually, eg by sending a text, or don't get armed at all, ie they tell you the location when you ask but don't alert you when the bike is moved, which IMHO defies the point because by the time you realise the bike's not there it may be too late.

Also, if you have to supply your own sim, you have to either have a monthly contract or top it up as often as required to keep it functioning : some operators may cancel unused sims after 12 months.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:09 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
Something like Biketrac is of course more expensive, but it gets armed and disarmed automatically just by turning the key on and off.
The cheaper ones typically need to be armed manually, eg by sending a text, or don't get armed at all, ie they tell you the location when you ask but don't alert you when the bike is moved, which IMHO defies the point because by the time you realise the bike's not there it may be too late.

Also, if you have to supply your own sim, you have to either have a monthly contract or top it up as often as required to keep it functioning : some operators may cancel unused sims after 12 months.

Agreed, but a cheapy is just another layer of security.

Also, and I don't know if this is true, but I have read that Bike Track will only tell the police of your bikes location if it is stolen, not you. If that is the case I'd want a cheapy locator as well.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:40 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Also, and I don't know if this is true, but I have read that Bike Track will only tell the police of your bikes location if it is stolen, not you. If that is the case I'd want a cheapy locator as well.

Where did you read that? You can track the location of your bike whenever you want, on your phone and/or PC.

Unless Biketrac refuses to disclose the location to you once you confirm the bike's been stolen? In the reports I have read online about people tracking their stolen bikes, this was not the case. So either Biketrac have just recently changed their policy on this or, more likely, it's some kind of urban myth.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 11:08 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing. I am getting insurance quotes now, and for the first time ever I have seen one broker adding an explicit endorsement which requires me to send them an "installation certificate". I have never had one! Plus I am not sure how many mechanics would even be willing to provide one, for fear of liabilities should the device malfunction, should there be interference with the other electronics of the bike, etc.

In my limited experience, this is not common, so I still have plenty of choice with other, more reasonable insurers, but it's something to beware of; I understand insurers need to be sure we are not lying, but I wouldn't be able to provide an installation certificate. Always always read the small prints!

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 11:59 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
One more thing. I am getting insurance quotes now, and for the first time ever I have seen one broker adding an explicit endorsement which requires me to send them an "installation certificate". I have never had one! Plus I am not sure how many mechanics would even be willing to provide one, for fear of liabilities should the device malfunction, should there be interference with the other electronics of the bike, etc.

In my limited experience, this is not common, so I still have plenty of choice with other, more reasonable insurers, but it's something to beware of; I understand insurers need to be sure we are not lying, but I wouldn't be able to provide an installation certificate. Always always read the small prints!

It is common. EVERY dealer fit type alarm such as Datatool, Meta, Spyball etc come with a certificate that the dealer fills in with the bike details.
There are no liabilities for the fitter if the unit malfunctions only if they fit it badly but considering you will have a receipt they don't really have a get out anyway.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 12:04 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe for alarms. For trackers, this is the first time I have seen it. So far I have had 4 insurance policies with the tracker, I must have compared hundreds of quotes over the last 4 years and this is the first time I see an endorsement requiring an installation certificate for the tracker.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:07 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
Maybe for alarms. For trackers, this is the first time I have seen it. So far I have had 4 insurance policies with the tracker, I must have compared hundreds of quotes over the last 4 years and this is the first time I see an endorsement requiring an installation certificate for the tracker.

So why would a tracker be any different to an alarm?

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:11 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know, I am simply reporting my experience. My experience is that this is the first time I have seen this in 4 years. I have asked 2 guys I know who also have a Bike tractor and their experience is the same as mine.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:26 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

some of my friends use this one
https://www.rewiresecurity.co.uk/motor-bike-motorcycle-gps-tracking-package
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 13:27 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
I don't know, I am simply reporting my experience. My experience is that this is the first time I have seen this in 4 years. I have asked 2 guys I know who also have a Bike tractor and their experience is the same as mine.

All Thatcham/Insurance approved trackers should have a fitment cert, were yours approved?

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:53 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

sickpup wrote:

All Thatcham/Insurance approved trackers should have a fitment cert, were yours approved?

BikeTrac, which I have, is Thatcham approved. I genuinely do not remember if I received an installation certificate the very first time I bought it. I am, however, positive that I did not receive one when the unit was replaced under warranty with another one, nor when I had it moved to my current bike. This was probably my fault for not asking. However, like I said, I have had 4 insurance policies and must have compared hundreds, yet this is the first and only time I have seen an endorsement requiring an explicit installation certificate. All the other requirements I have seen were along the lines of "security devices must be fitted and in working order".
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 64 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1