Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Aftermarket cruise controls for sore hands?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:12 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Aftermarket cruise controls for sore hands? Reply with quote

Dear Auntie

Am suffering with pain in the hands (mainly fingers, a bit of wrists) when riding. Just old age stuff sadly; never had any physical damage to them. Anyway - the thing is, it's much worse in my right hand because I can regularly take the left one off the bars and repeatedly flex my hand and fingers to relieve it a bit, which really helps. However, that's no good for the right hand, because the bike.... well, stops. If I ever come to a halt, eg at a junction, or if I get the opportunity while on a downhill stretch, I will madly exercise the right hand, but it's not enough. It seems what I need is a cruise control so I can briefly take the right hand off the bars at opportune moments to exercise it.

I've seen various aftermarket cruise control gadgets online, eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142643206999
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292425458750
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291109985493

Has anyone used anything like these? Do they work? Are they safe?
Any other ideas?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 22:20 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A "cramp buster" style rocker device would be safer and less intrusive to my mind. Doesn't really lock the throttle on, just means you don't have to grip onto it to keep it open, just rest the heel of your hand on top.

They take a bit of getting used to.

I have also used something distinctly more homemade in the past. A thickish piece of insulated electrical cable tied into a loop about 2" in diameter. You rest it on the throttle grip and when you want to "lock" it, you pull it down into the gap between the twist grip and the switchgear with your thumb which locks the throttle where it is. It tends to pop out again when you move the throttle. This takes some experimentation to get the correct size of loop and some practice to actually use but it works well.

Pigeon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:24 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 Try cramp buster first.

Brilliant at reducing wrist ache by 90%

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:25 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a shoelace and tie it around the bar between the throttle grip and the throttle housing. That'll prevent the throttle from returning freely, yet you'll still be able to effortlessly close it.

The stuff you posted is just far to expensive for what it does.

EDIT: This is pretty much the idea: https://youtu.be/sejkA3yk4uQ?t=1m25s
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:12 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot.

Actually I bought myself a crampbuster last year for this purpose but couldn't get it to work; tbh once I'd nearly scared myself shitless with it I gave up on it. Possibly it doesn't work as expected because I've got thick, high-friction Grip-puppies? I should get it out and persevere.

That said, although the crampbuster may help by letting me not having to grip continuously, I think it it still won't let me completely flex and extend my fingers, which I'll still need (think making a fist and then fully stretching out my fingers) because the brake lever (and also the hand guard) will be in the way. I do like that the look of that youtube vid though with the o-ring; same idea as Stinkwheel's electric cable. Will definitely be looking into that! Thumbs Up

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:32 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stallion. wrote:
I wouldn't call £2.99 expensive.

Imagine trying to explain to the insurance why you had a shoelace tied around the throttle should you have a crash. Wink

Not what OP posted. And quite possibly, just as ''against the insurance policy'' as the ''cruise control'' systems sold on the ebay.

Also: https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/motorcycle-parts-checked-at-an-mot/motorcycle-parts-checked-at-an-mot
Quote:
2.14 Throttle
This will be inspected to check that it works properly.

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:52 - 26 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket cruise controls for sore hands? Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
Dear Auntie

Am suffering with pain in the hands (mainly fingers, a bit of wrists) when riding. Just old age stuff sadly; never had any physical damage to them. Anyway - the thing is, it's much worse in my right hand because I can regularly take the left one off the bars and repeatedly flex my hand and fingers to relieve it a bit, which really helps. However, that's no good for the right hand, because the bike.... well, stops. If I ever come to a halt, eg at a junction, or if I get the opportunity while on a downhill stretch, I will madly exercise the right hand, but it's not enough. It seems what I need is a cruise control so I can briefly take the right hand off the bars at opportune moments to exercise it.

I've seen various aftermarket cruise control gadgets online, eg:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/142643206999
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/292425458750
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/291109985493

Has anyone used anything like these? Do they work? Are they safe?
Any other ideas?

Couple of alternative suggestions:

Might seem basic but are your gloves a tight fit? This can cause your symptoms.

Have you tried foam grip covers like grip puppies? They make a huge difference on my bike.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:10 - 27 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: Aftermarket cruise controls for sore hands? Reply with quote

Pete. wrote:
Might seem basic but are your gloves a tight fit?

Nah. I get the same problem now when working with (ie gripping) tools for a long period.
Pete. wrote:
Have you tried foam grip covers like grip puppies? They make a huge difference on my bike.
Freddyfruitbat wrote:
I've got thick, high-friction Grip-puppies

Mine too Wink

Ebbs73
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 00:15 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a go cruise for a 6-7 years now , long tours and short ride outs , I use it as cruise control and keep my hand on the grip but just relax , makes a massive difference , wouldn't be without it now .
I paid £30 for mine but the £10 jobbie in the link are ok , I've bought a couple for my friends .

For £10 , give it a go .
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 21 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1