Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

What is the rocking horse part for your bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:26 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: What is the rocking horse part for your bike? Reply with quote

If your bike is over 10 years old its likely to have a part that is hard to find or extremely expensive due to rarity. So just curious what is it for your bike?

For example on mine it's the fairings and front indicator lenses. I know on old cb125's it's the manifolds between the carb and the engine.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:43 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zx7r

Easy, exhaust system, the stock mild steel unit inevitably rusts and you are left needing a replacement.

Unfortunately zx7r carbs are very difficult to tune for anything except stock systems, with the exception of Akrapovic and Hindle. Any kind of jet kit or exhaust system other than the stock setup with the aforementioned systems will run like dog shit somewhere in the rev range. The favourite problem spot is 5k rpm....

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 02:50 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lower farside fairing panel Ducati ST2/ST4s. By design they fit too close to the downpipe from the front cylinder which causes it to crack. That, and it's lower fairing means they're pretty hard to come by in good nick.

Heat-treated mine. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Old Git Racing
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:58 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been looking for a good condition right side middle fairing panel for my YPVS for ages. Ebay ones are all crap and must be made of kryptonite judging by the prices.

OGR

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:36 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not quite how Smiler meant it but...

My bike is modern and still made but there have been so few sold any second hand parts that come onto the market go for not much short of Triumph parts prices.

So, nothing impossible, just will just cost you a kidney.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:36 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR1100L nose cones (full stop) and seat panels with any of the lugs left.

GSXR400 radiators that either don’t leak or aren’t minutes away from leaking.

The two stroke stuff is easy unless it’s an X5 seat base or the cover off the seat unit.

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:02 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My “old” bike is a crappy old Honda Superdream.
However, between Dave Silver Spares and Wemoto, I can get almost anything for it.
Original exhausts don’t exist anymore.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:57 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

headlight relays Laughing

took ages to find one and when I did it was off another bike so ordered it just in case and it was the same as mine Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:23 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my bike, almost everything needs to be ordered from aprillia as there are not many on the market in the hands of breakers.
IE £450 for a small side fairing... ugh.

The rocking horse shit item until recently was piggyback fuel modules to sort the piss poor FI settings out.Reflashed stock ones were selling for up to £800 !!.
Thankfully Rapidbike make one for them now.

Thankfully most parts on the new 900 fit my 750 so im still good for a fair few years yet.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:15 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exhaust.

It's not rocking horse, there are none. At all, hence the epic bodge-jobs on it.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:14 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

pepperami wrote:
My “old” bike is a crappy old Honda Superdream.
However, between Dave Silver Spares and Wemoto, I can get almost anything for it.
Original exhausts don’t exist anymore.

I have a CB250 which will last me till the new congestion charge comes into effect.

Parts are not a problem, however the price of the exhausts have shot up big time and to make it worse Motad went tits up.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:29 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZ750 - Throttle cable. Discontinued some time ago.
The oil drinking eggcup - single seat hump.
Strumpet - Front wheel...

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:38 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FZS1000. Grab handles. You can get them, but last time I checked, they were something like £90 each, and that was a few years ago. At that time, clutch cables were about £70. I think Yamaha want people to buy their new bikes.
Good condition fairing inner panels are getting rarer if you don't want to buy new parts, as they crack very easily if you over-tighten the screws even a little. If you buy one of these bikes, but get someone else to do your servicing, I would suggest removing them beforehand, as shop mechanics always manage to crack them.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
Lower farside fairing panel Ducati ST2/ST4s. By design they fit too close to the downpipe from the front cylinder which causes it to crack. That, and it's lower fairing means they're pretty hard to come by in good nick.

Stand on the opposite side of the bike, then they'll be nearside panels - they might then be easier to come by Thumbs Up
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:41 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
Not quite how Smiler meant it but...

My bike is modern and still made but there have been so few sold any second hand parts that come onto the market go for not much short of Triumph parts prices.

So, nothing impossible, just will just cost you a kidney.

I bid you a triumph trophy with a changed centre spark plug Very Happy
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:56 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FPR for the VFR, Honda made it a non purchasable part meaning you have to buy a whole new fuel rail (granted it can be obtained aftermarket though). Same goes for the TPS, cheers Honda.

Oh and just about anything whatsoever for the Aprilia.

Petemate
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:22 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My LA has a few parts which would be impossible to replace, but not impossible to use from another model. (Big Up to Honda for raiding the parts bins when producing my JDM bike!)

Wheels - only the LA250 Custom has these in that particular style. Unavailable, but could probably use the spoked rear from CM125C and front from a CD250U which has the same caliper. (I know the 125 Superdream also has the same caliper and tubeless wheel but its rear, whiule also tubeless,is the wrong rim size. Hurt

Instruments, but I've sorted that out now with used clocks from a CM250T; the speedo ratio is the same happily and in any case the original speedo had the 50KPH warning circuit for the (now redundant) red warning light on the binnacle. I can use that later for a side stand system if I CBA.

Pretty much everything else is interchangeable with many other models, including CM125C, various Rebels, CD250U, CB250 Nighthawk and other 250 bikes with the 233cc lump. So I can keep it going for a while yet.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:18 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

None, just about every part is available. New pattern front fairing under 50 quid delivered, fairing brackets for 10.
Only annoyance is side stand and RH switchgear are 20-30 quid, it would be nice to replace but sod it, for that price mine will do. Spare wheels, callipers, discs etc all cheap.

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:38 - 31 Mar 2018    Post subject: Re: What is the rocking horse part for your bike? Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
on mine it's the fairings and front indicator lenses

I always thought it was mirrors on K100s?

(BTW isn't it all about rocking horse shit!?)

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:15 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: What is the rocking horse part for your bike? Reply with quote

Freddyfruitbat wrote:
TheSmiler wrote:
on mine it's the fairings and front indicator lenses

I always thought it was mirrors on K100s?

(BTW isn't it all about rocking horse shit!?)

K100rs indicator lenses are getting extremely rare. Motobins, motorworks and james sherlock the main suppliers are all sold out. As they aren't creating more that creates a peoblem.

There are plenty of lt mirrors around still but rs mirrors have the indicator included they are getting rare as well.
- This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Petemate wrote:

Pretty much everything else is interchangeable with many other models, including CM125C, various Rebels, CD250U, CB250 Nighthawk and other 250 bikes with the 233cc lump. So I can keep it going for a while yet.

To be Honest I've never heard or even seen an LA250, however I googled and from I saw it looks like a cracking little bike. I can see how you can use parts from other similar models, even the exhaust system you could swipe from a CB250 because it's probably the same engine like the CD250U.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 17:41 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Main stand for 3rd gen VFR750. Fabricated using very high grade unobtanium.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:57 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was KIPS valves and linkage parts for the 200cc KMX's until BDK stepped in to make them.

Second gear pinions are NLA new, and KMX 200 engine parts are getting more scarce or more often silly expensive.

Still it's a far better situation than Honda MTX 200 owners are in. I'd like an MTX project too, but unless I find a complete cheap bike it's unviable now.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Main stand for 3rd gen VFR750. Fabricated using very high grade unobtanium.

I have a mate with a very large stash of RC34-RC36 parts.I'll ask if you want?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 17 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2