Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Increasingly crap loose road surfacing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Davemc37
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 08:24 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Increasingly crap loose road surfacing Reply with quote

I’m sure I’m not the only person suffering from this but the council has laid a lot of road surfaces round my way in Brentwood Essex using lots of stone chips which are meant to improve grip.

The reality is somewhat different though as most roads have got two tracks worn into them where car tyres travel which then deposits lots of loose gravel to the side of the tyre tracks. I’ve felt my bike slipping quite a lot on these roads. This is particularly noticeable around corners and junctions where there can often be big piles of loose stones waiting to trap any unwary bikers or cyclists.

I reckon I have to shave a good 10 to 20 mph off my speed when approaching corners compared to a proper tarmac road. Horrible stuff.

So is it worth complaining or is that likely to just get me even more frustrated. Is there any organisation that might help lend a bit of weight to any complaint.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:02 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Crash, die, we'll set up a memorial fiting fund.

We were just having a moan about this in the Scotchland forum. Our roads are particularly rekt at the moment: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-43407167

It's just patches on patches on patches, which rapidly break up into pebbles, when they haven't just slung loads of it down deliberately. Go even slightly off line and you're on a flood plain of pain.

I've been driving for $CONSIDERABLE years, and I've never seen anything like it. It seems that I'm either creeping round roundabouts with cars up my chuff, or standing on the pegs, or sometimes just feet-down paddling (don't tell Tef) over roads like the surface of the moon.

Even if there was the budget to fix this, I don't think we have the man[*]-power to do it in during our 2 months of summer.

Wut do? I honestly have no idea. We're giving away £12 billion every year to despots and nuclear space powers, while our roads degrade to 3rd world standard. It's truly deranged.

[*] I'll correct this to "person" when I see a wamen out working on the roads at 7am in a howlingn gale, anywhere, ever.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

It's just patches on patches on patches, which rapidly break up into pebbles, when they haven't just slung loads of it down deliberately. Go even slightly off line and you're on a flood plain of pain.

Oddly enough some potholes on the exit to a mini roundabout were 'fixed' the problem is they did exactly as you describe above just slapped some filler into it... so now you've got raised lumps instead of holes. The holes were mostly avoidable but the lumps are much bigger than the holes were :/
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:36 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My route to work, along with many other local roads round here, has become so bad and unsafe that I'm actually seriously considering getting a car licence and giving up biking.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Increasingly crap loose road surfacing Reply with quote

Davemc37 wrote:
...the council has laid a lot of road surfaces round my way in Brentwood Essex using lots of stone chips which are meant to improve grip.

What on Earth gives you that idea? Tar and gravel is used because it is cheap and fast to lay. For best grip you need maximum surface contact, so a really smooth surface such as tarmac (hint: how many race circuits are gravelled?).

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Increasingly crap loose road surfacing Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
What on Earth gives you that idea? Tar and gravel is used because it is cheap and fast to lay. For best grip you need maximum surface contact, so a really smooth surface such as tarmac (hint: how many race circuits are gravelled?).

Um on the run up to traffic lights and on some corners of fast roads the councils/road repair companies put down a much rougher yellow or red coloured road surface.

It gives considerably worse road rash than normal grey/black tarmac.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 11:01 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought it was more to put a sacrificial layer on the road thats cheap to replace than to increase grip.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Increasingly crap loose road surfacing Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
Um on the run up to traffic lights and on some corners of fast roads the councils/road repair companies put down a much rougher yellow or red coloured road surface.

Agree. Even some bends on the TT course use similar material (I think it's called 'Shell Grip') but, it is in no way similar to the stone and tar material in the OP.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:09 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
I thought it was more to put a sacrificial layer on the road thats cheap to replace than to increase grip.

You may well be right as at least at traffic lights a lot of these different coloured bits are a fair bit more worn than the road underneath.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:30 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shell grip is fine media, massively increases grip but its expensive and increases road noise massively so you dont see it a lot.Shame really as one of my local roundabouts has shell grip on it and you can properly corner on it even in winter.

Loads of roads in the fylde area have been resurfaced with this tar and gravel shit however leaving cars to bed it in.Three of my favorite routes are now shit, no grip pieces of loose stones damaging cars and bikes plus a sharp increase in accidents this winter.The reasoning is its cheap...but it isnt is it as a year later and half the roads are fucked again because as soon as you get ice this loose shit breaks up causing pot holes all over the place.

Do the council care, do they fuck.

Some prick also just decided it would be genius to lay smooth cob stone over the two busiest junctions and roundabout in the town center. More than 30 crashes in 12 months, soon as it rains its like driving on ice.
I think they want to make the town like parts of Manchester and pedestrianize it, but dont seem to understand if they do that people just wont bother.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:03 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Increasingly crap loose road surfacing Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

It's an anti skid coating, usually for lorrys, gives far more grip and is usually placed at traffic lights, junctions etc.. where required

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 12:32 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What pisses me off about shell grip is you get halfway round the roundabout past the completely unnecessary traffic lights and it promptly disappears....

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:22 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
a lot of these different coloured bits are a fair bit more worn than the road underneath.

My feet-down incident last week was a stretch of shell-grip that had totally disintegrated, leaving a cratered mess of underlying... whatever... covered in loose pebbles. In all seriousness, I couldn't hold a straight line and had to paddle forwards.

I report all this on www.fixmystreet.com but at best they've just been slinging tar or more loose crud down which often makes the problem even worse.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local roads (York-ish / Hull-ish) have suffered badly this winter. It hasn't been the coldest winter as such - but there's definitely been an elongated period (I want to say 6 weeks, could be 8) where the night temps were minus one or lower. Not cold as such - but eight weeks of daily contraction and expansion (not to mention a shitload of rain) has damaged the roads more than any other winter I can remember. Said on local news the other day, region needs a billion quid spending on repairs. Like that'll happen.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 15:38 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another reason why im not on a sports bike anymore, you need something supermoto style to handle the craters at this rate !.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:25 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Itchy wrote:
a lot of these different coloured bits are a fair bit more worn than the road underneath.

I report all this on www.fixmystreet.com but at best they've just been slinging tar or more loose crud down which often makes the problem even worse.

Apparently SLC dont accept referals from them

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:03 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
Apparently SLC dont accept referals from [fixmystreet]

https://i.imgur.com/HL1djw9.gif

How apparent is that?

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 22:29 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, if you report too many things to your council then they stop accepting reports from fixmystreet.com Laughing

"Wiltshire Council doesn’t accept reports from third party reporting sites such as FixMyStreet.

We can make your report public, but we can’t send it to the council."

Luckily Wiltshire Council made their own app so it's easier than ever to report stuff to them. Dance! I particularly like that they've got a function for reporting unlicensed waste collectors aka facebook people offering cheap waste disposal. Mr. Green

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:50 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

literally every road in st annes is full of massive potholes and/or gravel still dug up from those potholes.. it's getting a joke even in my "comfy" merc.

add on to that up to poulton (without warning) round a corner there is suddenly a change in the road surface to this loose gravel shit (which i think OP is referring to). If i was on the bike id've been off 100%. Its not even a temporary surface! How can they get away with it?

edit: Dragons Den a pothole fix idea/engineering methos cheaper than what councils originally pay.. please... anyone...

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:04 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:

edit: Dragons Den a pothole fix idea/engineering methos cheaper than what councils originally pay.. please... anyone...

I don't think it's a tech / engineering issue it's a government outsourcing issue. I think they outsource it to 3rd parties who then do it as cheaply as possible as approved suppliers.

If you're not on the approved list then you can't fix it.

Skudd
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:21 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just a good road sweeping would help. All the debris that is left helps grind at the defects in the road and cause or increase the pot holes and the rest of the surface be worn away.

BLB_Rich
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 10:31 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whenever I go over to Surrey I notice how appalling the roads are...

There are distinct grooves on the carriageway where vehicles go; the second you stray off the centre line to take a corner (to the outside to see the corner exit) the uneven road surface throws your handlebars/balance complete off and you're fighting the bike to stay on the road!

There are countless roads where there are deep uneven grooves ingrained into the road surface from when the tarmac was put down and graded which totally throw the natural travel of the tyres on the road!

My home county of Sussex is slightly better. They will resurface roads with tarmac but in a rushed job.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:35 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Potholes.

The whole (no pun) deal is down to road construction.

They are designed and built to a budget.

Govdotcom control this.

We pay, they say.

Time constraints and the habit of building roads using Tarmacadam during cold wet months are inconducive. Tar diznae like cold wet.

Roads are (can and should be) built to a carefully calculated formula to carry a volume and weight of traffic.

Pot holes are the direct result of cheap-cost-cutting-short-term-council-decision-making.

POLITICIANS ARE TO BLAME.

The fcuking Romans invented/developed road building and brought their system to Britain in 55BC (before they fuckedus Offidus circa 410AD).
They left and took their invention with them. (Seems like.)
The Britains learned nothing from the alien life form.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 04:50 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AshWebster wrote:
literally every road in st annes is full of massive potholes and/or gravel still dug up from those potholes.. it's getting a joke even in my "comfy" merc.

add on to that up to poulton (without warning) round a corner there is suddenly a change in the road surface to this loose gravel shit (which i think OP is referring to). If i was on the bike id've been off 100%. Its not even a temporary surface! How can they get away with it?

Yeah, and the section of the A588 up to head dyke is fecking lethal. Always pebbles covering about half the lane with a pile of loose shit in the middle. Two lads fell off on the same corner on the way to knott end last week.
Agree on the bit in poulton, its going to kill some one.Our council dont give a shit, look at how many accidents there have been in the last year...

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:50 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sad thing is, you get to know exactly where the holes, and the debris build up from it, are on a commute or other frequently used route. In the same way you know which manhole covers are uneven, sunken, slippy etc. There are sections around here where you have to go into the debris line cars have made to avoid your front wheel doing an Evel Knevil into the pothole that produced the debris pile. There's one on the way to work, right on the wheel line you have to ride in to avoid the frequently replenished slippy farm mud, and it's getting bigger all the time.

The notable one being one of the busiest roundabouts in town. They've slapped a bumpy, uneven patch on it on Tuesday (this must be the 5th time they've patched it this winter), and it's already knackered. They still haven't bothered sending a sweeper around the thing, so I'll be negotiating the slalom it creates again in about 1/2 hour.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2