BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Increasingly crap loose road surfacing

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:17 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had cause to drive around the entire southern half of M25 at the weekend M4 to A2. I was amazed at the size
and depth of some of the potholes I saw. Glad I was in the van and not in the car which has rubber band tyres and firm
sports suspension or worse on the bike which has cheap component suspension. Mind you we have had a couple of
spells of snow which always leaves some new road damage behind making it seem worse than normal at the mo.

goto10
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:04 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Time constraints and the habit of building roads using Tarmacadam during cold wet months are inconducive. Tar diznae like cold wet...

In Londonium yesterday morn I witnessed an elite pothole team fix a pothole (along Tottenham Court road) - traffic lights went red, two guys in hi-viz ran out into the road, one of them poured some cold wet-tarmacadam into the hole, the other one stamped on it - then they jogged back across the road to the pavement - lights went green - job done. Rolling Eyes

That was probably £1,800 of tax payer's money.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:17 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
In Londonium yesterday morn I witnessed an elite pothole team fix a pothole (along Tottenham Court road) - traffic lights went red, two guys in hi-viz ran out into the road, one of them poured some cold wet-tarmacadam into the hole, the other one stamped on it - then they jogged back across the road to the pavement - lights went green - job done. Rolling Eyes

That was probably £1,800 of tax payer's money.

But on the bright side, they'll get another £1,800 every week when they have to repeat the procedure.

I mean, bright side for them.

Actual silver lining, as Robocars are rolled out, they'll actually have to fix the roads and remove roadworks in order to alter reality in order to match the fantasy conditions that they require in order to function.

kippyzona
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:46 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mrs May has told us that we will all be better off after Brexit.
The money is coming , why not spend some of that money now to fix the roads properly?
It will cost us twice as much in a years time. Spend the money now , it will be cheaper in the long run.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know why we allow utilities companies to dig trenches in the road and then fill them back in with a cheap, nasty patch of mis-matched tarmac which often starts the rot. A few years ago it was the cable companies putting wobbly trenches down and making it impossible to avoid crossing the lumps, dips and over-banding when they'd finished. Make them treat the full width of the road to make it even and waterproof, I say.

Also I reckon the roundabout outside every Tesco's (other supermarkets are available) will have potholes where the giant lorries have scrubbed the surface up. Tesco's won't pay for it, the council will. (Ultimately it's us either way, I suppose.)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Vracktal
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:48 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
I don't know why we allow utilities companies to dig trenches in the road and then fill them back in with a cheap, nasty patch of mis-matched tarmac which often starts the rot. A few years ago it was the cable companies putting wobbly trenches down and making it impossible to avoid crossing the lumps, dips and over-banding when they'd finished. Make them treat the full width of the road to make it even and waterproof, I say.

Also I reckon the roundabout outside every Tesco's (other supermarkets are available) will have potholes where the giant lorries have scrubbed the surface up. Tesco's won't pay for it, the council will. (Ultimately it's us either way, I suppose.)

Very much this. Southern Gas Networks dug up a stretch of Brixton Road the last few months, and the tarmac job they finished it with is woeful. massive overbanding on either side of the trench and a finish so wavy and bumpy it can steer the bike left and right all over the place if you let it.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:29 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 5 different twisty routes about 30 miles and they are the best they have ever been. One was done last year, the cheap, loose gravel way, I am quite happy with the result.

There is one giant cluster of potholes on a roundabout exit, took me by surprise. Poor obs, I was too close to the car infront

Another route I rarely go, they have stripped the road surface at a junction, and poor obs? I did not see any warning signs. Looks like they are doing this bit properly.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:14 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
Sad thing is, you get to know exactly where the holes, and the debris build up from it, are on a commute or other frequently used route. In the same way you know which manhole covers are uneven, sunken, slippy etc. There are sections around here where you have to go into the debris line cars have made to avoid your front wheel doing an Evel Knevil into the pothole that produced the debris pile. There's one on the way to work, right on the wheel line you have to ride in to avoid the frequently replenished slippy farm mud, and it's getting bigger all the time.

The notable one being one of the busiest roundabouts in town. They've slapped a bumpy, uneven patch on it on Tuesday (this must be the 5th time they've patched it this winter), and it's already knackered. They still haven't bothered sending a sweeper around the thing, so I'll be negotiating the slalom it creates again in about 1/2 hour.

You've reported it?

That way if you fall off and dead yersel you'll have grounds for a claim. 😁

We can demand racetrack-like surfaces but govdotcom explain that public roads are part a transport network not a recreational facility. Shocked

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:39 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
You've reported it?

Several times. It keeps getting badly patched, but it just gets worse. It needs at least the inner lane rippng up and re-doing, as the debris from the shitty tarmac patches ripping up is worse than the bloody pothole itself. I suspect it's because it'll cause absolute mayhem to close a lane off and resurface that it's not done.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:28 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
MCN wrote:
You've reported it?

Several times. It keeps getting badly patched, but it just gets worse. It needs at least the inner lane rippng up and re-doing, as the debris from the shitty tarmac patches ripping up is worse than the bloody pothole itself. I suspect it's because it'll cause absolute mayhem to close a lane off and resurface that it's not done.

You need a tractor or a GS1200R Cool

Coz da peeps isnae interested in delays or getting oot their scratchers 1/2 hour earlier to accommodate road repairs.

We maybe are our own worst enemas. Sad

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:21 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at recent reports concerning Northampton County Council (financial incompetence) and Northumberland (council-owned property company Thinking spent thousands on jollies). Also note that councils do like an imposing (expensive) HQ. There must be scope for cost savings by harmonising waste-management and recycling policies, IT, paper application forms and more, yet each council seems to be allowed to manage these things differently. Sure, local requirements will vary a little but still, there must be a lot of inefficiency, not to mention incompetence and corruption, which means we pay a fortune in taxes and still have to travel on pot-holed roads.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 356 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2