Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Oil Heating Considerations

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF...
View previous topic : View next topic  

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 18:22 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Oil Heating Considerations Reply with quote

I'm moving house shortly and the new house has an oil boiler. Can anyone tell me roughly what I should budget for a 3 bedroom detached house in oil usage. Any tips or tricks or essential knowledge for oil heating too?

It's a rental property so upgrading and spending too much money on it isn't worthwhile.

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 18:32 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Central heating kerosene is good for cleaning engine parts.

It's also a cheap fuel for oil lamps.

steve the grease
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 19:58 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A tank full costs us about 500 notes . We go through 2-3 a year. It's dearer than gas I believe.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:59 - 01 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When it get reeeeally cold, the oil sludges in the pipe, the boiler doesn't work, and you die unless you have alternative sources of heating. HTH, HAND.

defblade
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:29 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep an eye on the levels, the price goes up a lot if you want delivery in less than 3 or 4 working days. Check a couple of local suppliers for price each time, and Boilerjuice. Boiler should be serviced annually. If you do run low, some petrol stations sell heating oil, so you can top up with jerry cans.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:10 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a 1,000 litre tank and get 3 deliveries a year, each delivery is around 700-800 litres. We have a 4-bed with 2 adults and 2 kids, empty through the day during the week.

We have used Boilerjuice a few times and it is a good place to start. The last one was from comparetheoilprice. When we installed the boiler about 4 years ago oil was around 60p/litre. It dropped to less than 30p and now hovers around 40-ish.

We have a wireless remote tank gauge; sensor in the tank and meter plugged into a socket in the house with a 10 bar gauge on it, plus an alarm which sounds if it gets low but also if the level drops faster than it should (suggesting a leak or a theft in progress).

Running out of oil is a pain, partly because of the grumpy family but also because of having to purge the lines and prime the pump; easy enough to do but a smelly faff of a job.

Our village is also part of a community purchasing cooperative - there may be one operating in your area. It means we order a bulk delivery then share it out as needed, getting a decent deal in the process. Unfortunately the timing of orders always seems to be misaligned with our needs.

Having come from always having gas I was worried it would be more effort having oil, but it’s not that bad and having a finite amount which you can see disappearing gives you a greater sense of energy use and an imperative to take reasonable measures to economise. Once you get an idea of usage and delivery lead times you should be fine. The earlier you order the cheaper it is.

Luckily our boiler is in the garage so when it needs a service or priming the smell stays out of the house. A friend had a leak in his boiler which was in the kitchen and the whole house reeked for months.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 21:09 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My local supplier does me a monthly standing order. We vary it annually depending on use and I just phone them when I need a top-up. They also have a key to my tank and know where it is so I don't need to be about when they come. Generally works out I pay a wee bit more than I needed to and get a refund come renewal time (which pays for the boiler service). I find this convenient instead of having to find enough for 800litres of central heating oil when you notice there's only 2" left in the bottom and it's the last week of the month.

As above, watch the levels because if you run out it can be a few days before you get a refill.

Also be aware of theft, lock your tank and practice good boundary security. You have hundreds of pounds worth of oil sitting there, people can and do nick it.

I also use propane cylinders for my cooker because I really can't stand cooking on an electric hob.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:15 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

We were starting from scratch and had the choice of gas or electric hob - I also hated using electric hobs but we were persuaded to go for an induction hob. I’d never go back to gas now.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a good service engineer for your oil boiler, sloppy maintenance won't do.

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 07:28 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
We were starting from scratch and had the choice of gas or electric hob - I also hated using electric hobs but we were persuaded to go for an induction hob. I’d never go back to gas now.

Seconded, we had a regular electric job. Had gas installed to the property so went shopping for a gas job. Because gas is the best type of hob right? No. Not at all. The fella in the shop demonstrated us a induction job - it’s literally magic. Very happy indeed with my induction hob. I can boil water faster than a gas Hob or melt chocolate slowly straight in a pan on top of the hob and everything in between.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

panrider_uk
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
weasley wrote:

Seconded, we had a regular electric job. Had gas installed to the property so went shopping for a gas job. Because gas is the best type of hob right? No. Not at all. The fella in the shop demonstrated us a induction job - it’s literally magic. Very happy indeed with my induction hob. I can boil water faster than a gas Hob or melt chocolate slowly straight in a pan on top of the hob and everything in between.

Ditto.

I'd never have anything other than an induction hob now.

It will only work on ferrous pans though so aluminium, copper and some stainless won't work unless they have induction plates built in.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
...or melt chocolate slowly straight in a pan on top of the hob...

So much this. No faffing with bowls over pans of water, just lob the chocolate/butter/whatever in a pan, set it on the low setting and walk away. It will never overheat or burn. And the house will never kersplode because you left the hob on, or a pipe failed.

And if anything spills over you can wipe it up there and then.
And a clean piano black induction hob is a thing of OCD beauty and so easy to achieve.

So, in summary, oil is more expensive than gas for heating and a bit more faff, plus you have to have an ugly tank somewhere (which you theoretically can't box in with fencing or trellis although plenty do) but any leaks are safer and you are in control of your own supply (no outages due to network supply issues).

And induction hobs are the nuts. But you need a beefy supply cable to the cooker (ours has 5 'rings', two ovens and a grill that could all, theoretically, run at the same time). And you need ferromagnetic pans (easily found).

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:49 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The injector system can fug up with shite so it is proper to have clean fuel supplied, keep water way from it and filter it.
You can get a water removal device too.
Some systems use Diesel (Heavy Fuel) and some use Paraffin/Kerosene (like Jet A)

Have a shoofti around the system during the summer months before winter hits.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Also be aware of theft, lock your tank and practice good boundary security. You have hundreds of pounds worth of oil sitting there, people can and do nick it.

^This. It's rife in rural Gloucestershire. If you live out in the sticks, keep a shotgun handy. Mind you don't shoot the tank, though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1