Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:13 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

TBH and joking aside I'd ride a bit more if I had company,

most everything ; round here anyway ; is organised on farcebook .. ..
siftin through the borin ,self falatio and troll posts takes a bit of time though...

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:38 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't bring myself to leap off that particular precipice. My mrs resisted right up until last year when she started a FB
account so she could stay in touch with the 'poledance community' going ons which are of course all organised on there. Now
she's permanently glued to phone, at home, on holiday, wherever. It's a bone of contention in my house is that bloody Facebook.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:45 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play, if it didnt need to use the M6 a few times a week i would have no screen.

Fucking hell that lad wasnt too smart.

I used to need to be in a group to enjoy the ride, best bet imo. Buy a decent sat nav. And get lost.
Find new roads, explore and enjoy the ride.

Most my lot ride the same six fecking routes week after week all summer. Same roads to the same places as hundreds of other bikers and the police just camp out handing out NIPs on a sunday.
By the third ride i fucked that shit off, so now i ride mostly on my own.

But in doing so i have found some properly awesome and seemingly un known roads with no police ruining the fun.

So imo, try to get out a few times without the group. Its well worth it.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 14:03 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

TBH and joking aside I'd ride a bit more if I had company, but most of my mates can't ride are too boring to go for
their licence. I do have this one pal I'm working on, he has the willingness but has financial constraints as
he's (at gunpoint) planning a wedding. Was going to go out yesterday but ended up having some beers instead
I bet that was a proper laugh though,(diesel incident notwithstanding) thank feck for the police cuts eh?

Laughing Laughing Laughing

MOTO FRIENDS

I rode solo for many years but I started going out with that lot and realised I do like a group ride once a week. They are all fucking nuts though, it's chaotic to say the least and you end up doing silly shit you wouldn't normally do but it's all good fun.

I have a large group of different kinds of riders, from fairly new to straight up fucking crazy. It's good to ride with different people for a different pace each week.

Fireyphoenix... from mentioning the M6 and looking at your profile, I reckon we probably go some of those same places. I live in Wigan, so usually going the Scotch Piper / Southport, etc etc.

winz
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:27 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:

TBH and joking aside I'd ride a bit more if I had company, but most of my mates can't ride are too boring to go for
their licence. I do have this one pal I'm working on, he has the willingness but has financial constraints as
he's (at gunpoint) planning a wedding. Was going to go out yesterday but ended up having some beers instead
I bet that was a proper laugh though,(diesel incident notwithstanding) thank feck for the police cuts eh?

I'm only in Bristol, not been out that much recently, but as the weather is starting to get better I'll be out more often.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:03 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play to OP. I thought group rides, and riding with mates, or even having biking mates was a 90's-00's thing only. It was for me.

I ride alone all the time, and no one would want to ride the roads I like best with a smelly two stroke around them.

En mass Bike meets have dried up, partly due to less people and less mates, and more anti bike feeling in society. There's still some evening pub meets in summer, and I just use them to go to nosy around other people's bikes, particularly classics and specials that people normally hide away in garages, and bikes you won't see in Dealers. The local ones I prefer to go to on my mountain bike or in a car, as im only going to be nosy.

And yeah I agree on the Facebook thing. All the good forums particularly the marque specific and technical ones have flat lined and some have disappeared completely, due to everyone doing everything on Facebook. The car world is the same and it's self de-generating, as info and build threads vanish.

I agree with OP about supermoto bikes and their usage and mentality too. They are not a useful or practical or best suited bike for anything really, but just a big fuck you to everyone. If their was ever a type of new bike that would be the first to be banned from sale, they would be it.

I like the idea of pointless daft bikes that are stupid fun for an hour on small quiet roads or being a twat around town on before running home before one too many wheelies past a police car etc. They aren't transport or useful hacks, just pratting about machines for people with no real use for a bike.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 07:22 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I like the idea of pointless daft bikes that are stupid fun for an hour on small quiet roads or being a twat around town on before running home before one too many wheelies past a police car etc.

Agree.Always fun Very Happy.

stevo as b4 wrote:

They aren't transport or useful hacks, just pratting about machines for people with no real use for a bike.

Totally disagree with that, i supposed it depends where you live but in cities they make perfect sense.

Loads of fuel stations so tiny tanks isnt an issue.
Tight roads with loads of traffic.
Plenty of "short cuts" usually requiring riding over a large curb or something.
Massive lock to lock steering combined with a very narrow frame, handy when you are trying to maneuver through small gaps in grid locked traffic.
At that point the only down side is if you have a sport/race one they tend to need a lot of work to keep em going well.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:28 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
more anti bike feeling in society.

People aren't anywhere near as bothered as they were 20-30 years ago. Such a minority now that it doesn't occur to people. The teenage hooligans of yore are just that - an anachronism, something that was legislated out of existence a long time ago. To say it's an ageing demographic is a massive understatement. Most guys on the car park at e.g. squires or seaways are 50+ grandads.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 10:12 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A proper competition supermoto is 'much just a pratting about machine.

But on the 690 (these are just a slightly road biased version of the latest KTM690), I've commuted daily, ridden to Spain, ridden in enduros, ridden to green lanes a good way away, ridden the green lanes and returned, done LeToJoG including using it as a mobile camera platform for a professional documentary maker filming from the pillion seat.
Not done a trackday, but on a tighter circuit would do well at that too I reckon.

About the most versatile bike I've owned, I'd say

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:48 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh don't get me wrong, for single minded and fun use on the right roads a proper or street supermoto is unbeatable and very useful for A-B while being hooligan levels of fun. Its the same as the bigger cc 2stroke scooters for in town use. No one needed a Gilera 180 etc for sensible commuting. They were all wheelies, breaking every traffic law and things for tuning for antisocial thrills.

I knew someone that had a tuned DRZ 400SM once, and said it was both more fun and quicker point to point on back roads than both an ER6 and a 1000cc V-twin sports bike they owned.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:30 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

I knew someone that had a tuned DRZ 400SM once, and said it was both more fun and quicker point to point on back roads than both an ER6 and a 1000cc V-twin sports bike they owned.

Yeah, the thing i have noticed since i got this bike.
The blade was faster. This is quicker.

IE in the right hands and conditions the blade would fly round a bend.
My dorso however is consistently quicker and easier for me to ride, road surface matters less, potholes and bumps it skips over.

One of my favorite roads had about 3 corners where the blade was a missile, long sweeping with a new road surface, the dorso is just damned near flat out down the whole lane tho. so its gets A to b a fair bit quicker.
Its very much a case of a very forgiving bike hiding the flaws of the average rider Razz.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 23:48 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could easily see this 701 as a commuter, it's actually fucking brilliant in every way. It's good on fuel, super light and nimble but got loads of torque when you want it.

I could easily ride this daily if I needed to but this is for the twisties and the rsv4 rf is for the straights Smile

Add in 7,000 mile service intervals and it really is a fucking superb bike. I'm so happy with it, exhaust is turning up tomorrow / Tues.

G
The Voice of Reason

PostPosted: 23:57 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
It's good on fuel, super light and nimble but got loads of low gearing when you want it.

EFA Tut Tut.

Wink

Of course I went for the superbike for commuting partly for the torque - but mostly because the 690 does falls down in tight traffic - nothing you can really do about wide bars.
Was great with semi-trail on and then adding studs when he had some nasty snow, however - nice being the one confidently going along* while all the cars were cautiously sliding on the hard-packed snow Smile.

*On one wheel**.
**On a private part of the work car park, of course.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 19:58 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st Service on Friday and 15t front sprocket going on. Added a Wings exhaust today, R&G swing arm sliders, frame sliders, carbon exhaust guard, clip on bar mirrors and got some other trick bits arriving over the weeks.

This thing sounds like WAR Neutral Laughing Laughing Laughing

https://i.imgur.com/inG2zNi.jpg

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:04 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much first service ?

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 20:10 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
how much first service ?

£120

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

SM's are definitely better with friends, can't believe 4 of you's went and got the same bikes at the same time though Laughing Are they doing good deals on them now like, seem to be quite a few getting them.

I've been on a DRZ ride out with 5 other DRZ'ers, was impressed with that.

Got Wings exhausts on my 990, sounds epic. Used to really like the sound of my old 690 with an Akra fitted, but can't beat a vtwin at full pelt, my new favourite sound.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:46 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jayy wrote:
Copycat73 wrote:
how much first service ?

£120

no valve work involved there then Thumbs Up

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 12:32 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Irn-Bru wrote:
SM's are definitely better with friends, can't believe 4 of you's went and got the same bikes at the same time though Laughing Are they doing good deals on them now like, seem to be quite a few getting them.

Good group of lads, mostly own businesses and got cash to burn. Few Ferrari's & Lambos in the group too Mr. Green

As for deals, they were doing 0% finance on them, which most of us took advantage of.

Loui5D
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 13:46 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you go to get them?
The 701 enduro looks tempting.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 00:56 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loui5D wrote:
Where did you go to get them?
The 701 enduro looks tempting.

Manchester Motorcycles Thumbs Up

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 04:13 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So out of a total of 7 x 701s, mine has gone bang already.

Just clocked over 3,000 miles and the decompressor thingy bolt wiggled itself loose, dropped in to the cam shaft? Forgive my lack of mechanical knowledge but something along them lines and the engine is bollocksed.

Currently waiting Husqvarna to pull their fucking finger out and sort me a new engine. This seems to have sparked a recall on 18 models where they have setup a website page where you can check your VIN and delivery ID on there and find out if yours needs a recall.

Had a fair few issues between the groups bikes... one melted the TP (?) sensor and stranded him up in Settle.

Anothers clutch completely went on a ride out. One of the others keeps stalling / spluttering all the time (not sure what's going on) and mine obviously blew up.

All that said, they are brilliant fun, I just hope they get mine sorted and back on the road within the next 2 weeks.

Irn-Bru
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 05:57 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds about right Laughing I suppose you are lucky it's a common issue, KTM/Husqvarna are normally cunts when it comes to the warranty, being used to selling race bikes with no warranty it's still new to them.

arry
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 06:40 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that sucks!

Hope it gets sorted relatively painlessly.

MATTT
Renault 5 Driver

PostPosted: 14:38 - 22 Jun 2018    Post subject: fair few issues Reply with quote

Darn,i was almost going to book a test ride on one instead of a boring 300 cc commuter after reading the thread ,until you got to the end where they mostly all broke down ! 😢[/b]
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 281 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3