Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Seriously, how bad am I?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Makhai
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:06 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Seriously, how bad am I? Reply with quote

So, I was at my CBT today. I did the manoeuvre in the car park part fine, but then it was time for the road test. To be fair, I did drop the bike in the car park, but it was after I stopped, so I'm not counting it for this purpose.
I fell off three times on the road, all on corners, and I stalled once in the middle of the road at a T-junction. The instructor says that I'm going too slowly. I'm sort of afraid I'm going to hit a car, or get hit by a car, which I'm sure is very common. He told me to come back another day to do the road part again because I was very jittery by that point.
I'm sort of looking for reassurance that I'm not terrible? There were three other people doing the test with me, two of whom were older, foreign riders with licences in other countries, and the last was an older man who had car driving experience, so I can't really use them as a metric. I'm nineteen, and I've never driven a car or any sort of bike before, never mind a motorbike; I don't really cycle; I'm 5'2" and 120lbs, and I could only put the balls of my feet down on the smallest bike they had, so it sort of terrifies me.
I understand that I need to practice to improve, but isn't there a way to practice up to a point before I'm driving on the road and about to T-bone a parked car? I think I need road sense, but I'm not sure how to get it without a vehicle that I can drive.
Any similar experiences to assure me that I'm not the worse rider to ride in the history of riding?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:25 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fell off 3 times? I never thought we would have a rider on a par with smiler but you far surpass his lack of skill.

Quite frankly I wouldn't have let you out on the road after you dropped in in the car park.

Makhai
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:32 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even though I wasn't actually riding it at that point? I just overbalanced when I put my foot down, about to park it just after a turn in to the bay as we finished up. I'd already braked, and the gas was off. I'd already pulled in and out a few dozen times by that point without trouble.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:41 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makhai wrote:
Even though I wasn't actually riding it at that point? I just overbalanced when I put my foot down, about to park it just after a turn in to the bay as we finished up. I'd already braked, and the gas was off. I'd already pulled in and out a few dozen times by that point without trouble.

And the fact that you then proceeded to fall off another 3 times shows that I would have been right...

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:44 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a lot more practice off the road. Going too slowly will cause accidents just like hammering it. Was it explained to you exactly *how* a bike corners?

Makhai
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:47 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe, but the reasons I fell off were different on the road than off it. On the road, I fell off because of lack of speed when turning and nerves. That had nothing to do with why I fell over in the car park. So, it couldn't exactly be said that the car park predicted the road performance?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 17:50 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makhai wrote:
Maybe, but the reasons I fell off were different on the road than off it. On the road, I fell off because of lack of speed when turning and nerves. That had nothing to do with why I fell over in the car park. So, it couldn't exactly be said that the car park predicted the road performance?

The car park drop shows a lack of control and/or balance.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Flame). Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:05 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stallion. wrote:
ThatDippyTwat wrote:
You need a lot more practice off the road. Going too slowly will cause accidents just like hammering it. Was it explained to you exactly *how* a bike corners?

Ignore this muppet he's not got a licence his self.

https://gfycat.com/InsignificantRemoteKissingbug

You've really got a raging hard-on for me, don't you?

I passed before you stopped shitting your nappies kiddo.

Makhai
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:13 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Makhai wrote:

The car park drop shows a lack of control and/or balance.

Well, if you insist, I'm not going to argue with you. But how can I improve that?
He kept mentioning that I was going too slow, which I could tell, but I was terrified of going faster and hitting something, and I just got progressively more nervous the more times I fell off. I think becoming more aware of where cars are and what they're going to do, and so what I am able to do, will help make me less nervous, so I want to improve that. How would I be able to do that without being able to drive--firstly because I'm not legally allowed to do so; and secondly, so I'm less at risk of hitting something.

I know how to do the turnings. We practised them a lot earlier. I just lose confidence half way through in the road when I notice the line of parked cars blocking off half the road that are within a few metres of the bike that I was just riding at 20mph, and the cars that are coming towards me at comparable speeds, and the potential for another twat to suddenly overtake me from behind.

redeem ouzzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:16 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stallion. wrote:

Ignore this muppet he's not got a licence hisself.

https://gfycat.com/InsignificantRemoteKissingbug

Edited for spelling / grammar, you illiterate spastic.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:16 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makhai wrote:
I just lose confidence half way through in the road when I notice the line of parked cars blocking off half the road that are within a few metres of the bike that I was just riding at 20mph, and the cars that are coming towards me at comparable speeds, and the potential for another twat to suddenly overtake me from behind.

Cars don't suddenly overtake if you are riding at the correct speed.

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:19 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're terrified if hitting a car or being hit by a car perhaps motorcycling isn't for you at the moment. Try cycling to gain a bit of road sense and understanding on how a two wheeled vehicle works?

Makhai
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:24 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
Makhai wrote:
I just lose confidence half way through in the road when I notice the line of parked cars blocking off half the road that are within a few metres of the bike that I was just riding at 20mph, and the cars that are coming towards me at comparable speeds, and the potential for another twat to suddenly overtake me from behind.

Cars don't suddenly overtake if you are riding at the correct speed.

I was behind the instructor at this point, as distant from him as he was from the other guy in front; we were slowing down for a T-junction, and the car came up behind me to overtake between me and the instructor. The instructor agreed that he shouldn't have done that. Should I not be trusting the instructor on that?

I think I'd have as much trouble with nerves in a car, so I'm probably going to try cycling, yes. Thanks, @Wafer_Thin_Ham.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:29 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If a car driver felt there was space to get between you and the instructor to overtake you were too far behind them for the speed you were doing.

You get closer to the vehicle in front as you slow down.

yes, the car driver was being a twat, but to an extent you seem to have encouraged it.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:33 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ThatDippyTwat wrote:
I passed before you stopped shitting your nappies kiddo.

When did that happen?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Makhai
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:41 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
If a car driver felt there was space to get between you and the instructor to overtake you were too far behind them for the speed you were doing.

You get closer to the vehicle in front as you slow down.

yes, the car driver was being a twat, but to an extent you seem to have encouraged it.

Seriously? We were in a residential area, not on the motorway, and there was barely enough space. I was told to keep 2 seconds behind, at least, to save time for clutch and braking. I was going down in to first gear, and I had to slow down a little more than I was planning to give it more room. I know I was going slowly, but it wasn't that slowly. I could tell because I wasn't the one in front and deciding the speed at that point.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:47 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So you came here asking what you did wrong, and when I tell you, you argue the toss.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:50 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ride a bicycle for a bit. It's sort of comparable as it will allow you to get used to your surroundings.

Once you're used to the new experience then you focus a lot less on it and can focus on other things.

In fact maybe you can ask the riding school to try a step through scootay? Ok so it's not as flashy and cool. But if you ride a step through then you've got several less things to think about.

You'll most definitely be able to put your feet down on the ground so you don't need to consider speed so much.

You don't have to think about the gears/clutch so you can keep your focus on the road.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:52 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
So you came here asking what you did wrong, and when I tell you, you argue the toss.

^^^

This, blaming us and others for mistakes and bad things isn't going to improve anything. Road users will continue to be unpredictable and bad as will the road conditions.

Actually 10 years ago there was a similar rider who kept blaming external things for his crashes. IIRC first off it was a hidden dip in the road. Then it was gravel on the road then it was oil on the road.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Makhai
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:54 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Well, no. I know what I did wrong. My instructor has told me, and I am aware of the issues. I was hoping for something to encourage me to actually go back and continue to try to get my CBT and licence rather than avoiding the entire district and hiding my face in shame for the rest of my days as increasingly apocalyptic scenarios of social humiliation play out recurringly in my head. You know, like an example of someone who was initially as bad but currently has a licence? As I mentioned in the original post.

Last edited by Makhai on 18:55 - 02 Apr 2018; edited 1 time in total

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:54 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makhai wrote:
On the road, I fell off because of lack of speed when turning and nerves. That had nothing to do with why I fell over in the car park.

Kind of is though - basically a motorbike is far harder to manoeuvre or handle either when your stationary on tippy-toes, riding very slowly in a straight line, or trying to turn sharp corners slowly, than it is riding at speed. You definitely need more practice at that off-road. It's all about gaining confidence, and you don't want or need to worry about being simultaneously squashed by a 4-wheeler at your stage.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:00 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makhai wrote:
I was behind the instructor at this point, as distant from him as he was from the other guy in front; we were slowing down for a T-junction, and the car came up behind me to overtake between me and the instructor. The instructor agreed that he shouldn't have done that. Should I not be trusting the instructor on that?

I think I'd have as much trouble with nerves in a car, so I'm probably going to try cycling, yes. Thanks, @Wafer_Thin_Ham.

The slower you are going, the less stopping distance you need, and the smaller a 2 second gap is.

You're going to get killed on a pushbike - Cars bully them far more often than bikes. You'll end up in a ditch or wrapped around street furniture if you're that scared.

Go book some off-road lessons. Even if you don't like the answer, they're still right answers. You are at fault, you're learning, mistakes happen. But you only learn if you take it on board and fix the problem, so take some advice.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makhai wrote:

Well, no. I know what I did wrong. My instructor has told me, and I am aware of the issues. I was hoping for something to encourage me to actually go back and continue to try to get my CBT and licence rather than avoiding the entire district and hiding my face in shame for the rest of my days as increasingly apocalyptic scenarios of social humiliation play out recurringly in my head. You know, like an example of someone who was initially as bad but currently has a licence? As I mentioned in the original post.

I was going to advise you not to over think things and mtfu.
That clearly isn't going to happen.
Why would you need encouragement to continue to complete the CBT?
You either want it or you don't.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:02 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makhai wrote:
the entire district and hiding my face in shame for the rest of my days as increasingly apocalyptic scenarios of social humiliation play out recurringly in my head.

Um why?

We don't live in villages and tight knit communities any more. Survival in modern society doesn't depend on people you live near so what other people think about you matters very little today. Nobody really cares about anybody other than themselves. Unfortunately people hobble themselves by putting a gigantic magnifying glass upon themselves.

Makhai wrote:
You know, like an example of someone who was initially as bad but currently has a licence? As I mentioned in the original post.

A few people. They usually have sense enough to quit. A rider nearby went into intensive care twice in two years. He eventually got the hint and bought a car.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 15 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3