BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Seriously, how bad am I?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 19:04 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A moving bike weighs almost nothing, as you slow down gravity comes into effect, if your in a corner without enough momentum the bike feels very heavy.

Wafer_Thin_Ham wrote:
If you're terrified if hitting a car or being hit by a car perhaps motorcycling isn't for you at the moment. Try cycling to gain a bit of road sense and understanding on how a two wheeled vehicle works?

Agree,

At this point if you somehow managed to get a CBT on your next attempt it would scare me to think your out on the road.

Im not entirely sure someone so bad can turn it around, and become a good rider.
There are people on this forum with instructor experience that might say different though.

Good luck anyway with what you decide

Makhai
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:08 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

recman wrote:
Makhai wrote:

Well, no. I know what I did wrong. My instructor has told me, and I am aware of the issues. I was hoping for something to encourage me to actually go back and continue to try to get my CBT and licence rather than avoiding the entire district and hiding my face in shame for the rest of my days as increasingly apocalyptic scenarios of social humiliation play out recurringly in my head. You know, like an example of someone who was initially as bad but currently has a licence? As I mentioned in the original post.

I was going to advise you not to over think things and mtfu.
That clearly isn't going to happen.
Why would you need encouragement to continue to complete the CBT?
You either want it or you don't.

I really want to ride a motorbike. I am definitely sure, and I have wanted to for years. But if I'm so far short of the skill level that it's impossible for me to do because no one who has ever been this bad has managed to pass eventually, then it's obviously not something I'm going to be able to do, and paying out increasingly large sums of money, becoming a regular at the testing centre, and repeatedly putting the local drivers in danger of my terrible driving isn't going to do much to change that. I'd like some fore-warning, if at all possible?

Makhai
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:09 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

A few people. They usually have sense enough to quit.

I should just quit, then?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:13 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makhai wrote:
Itchy wrote:

A few people. They usually have sense enough to quit.

I should just quit, then?

Smiler passed his test and then got wiped out by a dickhead.

That's your yardstick.

Makhai
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:37 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:

Smiler passed his test and then got wiped out by a dickhead.

That's your yardstick.

Is that a yes? That wasn't sarcasm. I'm asking seriously.
Also, what's the relevance of that? He was a good driver, but other people are dickheads on the road, so it's always dangerous? Or, he was a bad driver that somehow passed his test and then got hit in a completely predictable course of events by a dickhead, and so I should probably quit? Or, he was an okay driver, and I'm worse than that, so I should quit lest something worse happen to me? Or, I haven't been hit by a dickhead yet, so full throttle? Something else?

pits
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:18 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://cdn-webimages.wimages.net/05160d77c4d2ae326894f425d25e29a5e0fb83-wm.jpg?v=3
00:32:08 Blau Zedong: yes, i am a massive CB400 fan and collector
00:33:00 Blau Zedong: the CB400 is my favourite road bike

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 22:13 - 02 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Makhai wrote:

Is that a yes? That wasn't sarcasm. I'm asking seriously.
Also, what's the relevance of that? He was a good driver, but other people are dickheads on the road, so it's always dangerous? Or, he was a bad driver that somehow passed his test and then got hit in a completely predictable course of events by a dickhead, and so I should probably quit? Or, he was an okay driver, and I'm worse than that, so I should quit lest something worse happen to me? Or, I haven't been hit by a dickhead yet, so full throttle? Something else?

Alright, I'll bite.

Firstly, man the fuck up. Seriously. Alright, so you're not much good and you had a shitty first attempt at a CBT. So what. So do loads of people. 3 drops in one day is really something, but I expect plenty of people are equally shit/dangerous first time round, it's just usually they aren't allowed out the carpark or call it a day after the first spill.

Ultimately, if you really want to ride a bike, you'll have to pass the cbt, and for that, you'll need to go out and practice.

I'm no expert, and I'm certainly no instructor, but have a few pointers anyway.

1.) Talk to your instructor. Frankly, I'm amazed you were allowed on the road if you're even half as nervous in real life as you sound on here, but obviously the instructor thought you'd be ok. Whilst that decision was wrong, obviously, it is also kind of a good thing. You can't be that shit, else he'd have said to come back another day.

The real point is, he obviously overestimated your 'competence' and put you in a situation where you weren't comfortable, leading to this pathetic display of whining and faggotry. That's partly his/her fault, he made the wrong call, but it's also yours. You could, and should have said you weren't feeling that confident after the drop and asked for some more off-road training. Would have been a better outcome for all involved.

So, solution to this is to put your cards on the table. Go back to your instructor, explain your concerns, explain you want to do this, but that you'd appreciate a bit more time practising before heading out again. Nothing wrong with that.

2.) Listen to advice. You've come on here looking for help/reassurance, got some, and then argued with it. Just why?

You're bad, you know you're bad, but you won't be bad forever if you listen and take in what people say. Don't try and make excuses, yeah you're short, traffic is a pain, people will overtake, but these are issues for everyone. The only real issue here is you, which again is good, because you can fix it.

As far as actual advice goes, some time on a push bike will help. It gives you some road experience, so you'll be more used to cars, traffic, overtakes, potholes, signals etc. It's not exactly the same, but some of this stuff does cross over.

But the main thing you need is time in the saddle in a controlled environment. Could be scooter, could be geared bike, probably doesn't matter, it's just time getting used to the idea that's important. The 'repeat' CBT will give you that, and if you're really serious about bikes you'll stop being a pussy and get on with it.

Final point, and what you actually came on here asking for I expect. My brother took three days to sort his cbt and he was amost comedically bad. I laughed, a lot (probably why I'd be a bad instructor tbf). That said, he did get it eventually and now rides round quite happily on his 125. He's also doing an A2 test at the moment, with Mod 1 finished first time. It's just practice and some confidence. Get on with it.

Holdawayt
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:29 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

This isn't the forum where you'll get a load of bikers rubbing your back telling you it's all going to be ok.

Yeah you're a shit rider, but the worst ever? Probably not, it's almost like you're keen to take that title given the amount of times you've mentioned it.

Get out on your push bike and learn how roads work. I've been riding for 4 years and I can safely say I've never been hit by one of those big car things. So no, it's not common.

I don't get people like you. Why do you need a bunch of forum strangers to tell you what to do? Either get back on the bike and do some off road lessons until you get to grips with it or fuck the idea off and start stressing about something else.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:37 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The worst rider I remember is a guy who I did the CBT with, he's not a BCFer.

He had taken the CBT 15 or so times and had been denied each time because he kept falling off in the car park.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:04 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

do CBT on a twist and go.

practise on a geared in ur own time on private land (or car park).

im guessing you dont drive as you would have a better understanding of the road...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:07 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firing in without reading the usual BCF screed: don't sweat it, and ignore the scoffers who don't remember what it was like at first, or have never had problems flat footing a bike.

The idea that you can go from zero road and riding experience to being fully trained and safe in one day (which means maybe 2 or 3 hours on the pad and 2 on the road if you're lucky) is laughable.

Don't think of the CBT as a one day wonder, it's a course of training that takes as long as you need to get up to a minimal standard. It should be advertised, booked and paid for as such (according to the DVSA) but most schools still promote it as a one-day-and-done because fantasy sells.

The fact that you're still considering going back after binning it is a good sign. You'll find that everything will be significantly easier when you try again, and once you're actually licensed up, you will be able to find or modify a bike to suit your frame.

You will get there, and it will be fun and awesome.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:44 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

CBT’s are crap and I hated every second of mine. You get lumped in with people who are renewing theirs and can already ride and are expected to be at the same level as them after a couple of hours. Although I met the criteria (just) I left feeling uneasy and not especially looking forward to going out. Fortunately for me I had driven cars for years so road stuff wasn’t something to worry about. And my partner at the time dragged me out the following day and made me ride around the block a bunch of times until I felt a bit more confident then took me out for a few hours on local roads.

You have a few options.

1. Use a different school
2. Ask for a different instructor at your current school
3. Do it on a twist and go
4. Give up

Whichever option you choose (except for 4 because only losers give up) you need to ditch the negative mindset of ‘I must be the worst because....’ and go back with an open mind. This is a learning opportunity for you and you have paid for it. Ask for help from your instructor. Feel confident on the off road stuff first.

Tl;dr - rebook and toughen up, buttercup. Good luck Thumbs Up

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:54 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

waffles wrote:
CBT’s are crap and I hated every second of mine. You get lumped in with people who are renewing theirs and can already ride and are expected to be at the same level

Funny how CBT experiences differ.
Mine was awesome. Atrocious weather, bike was way too small, other rider was pretty shite although this was the umpteenth time he'd renewed his CBT, he was reluctant to hit the 30mph limits.
Sounds shite but I loved it!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:13 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As above, stop indulging your deprecating tendencies and make a constructive plan. Expecting to spend two hours in a car park on a geared motorcycle, when you can barely go a bicycle, and then venturing out for a pleasant bimble through the country lanes - not going to happen. The instructor you had on the day doesn't sound particularly switched on.

Try another school if you didn't click with him/ her or felt they were way off the mark with your 'ability' level.

You don't sound like a natural, but I'm sure few are. My CBT experience was quite bad. I was in a group with two guys who'd never sat on a bike before. I had plenty of bike experience from trials riding as a youngster, but I had zero road experience. The instructor was a tosser, some big, angry French bloke. He took us out on the road after some half-arsed 'training' in the car park, one of the other lads fell off twice on the road and the instructor was shouting and swearing at us all through the ear piece most of the time. There's tough love and then there's just being a cnut. He was the latter.

Went to a different school for my training and tests after the CBT experience and never looked back. The new instructor was absolutely superb.

TL;DR if something wasn't working then change it. Consider a new school if you didn't click with the bloke/ woman and have a chat with the new one regarding your concerns and wishes.

You'll be on the road with the wind in your vagina in no time.

vp1977uk
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:55 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GO BACK AND DO IT AGAIN

1. You stalled the bike once - So what, I've been car driving for over 20 years and still stall my car now and again !

2. You dropped the bike 3 times on cornering - You know where the problem is, fix it. (with the help of the school)

3. You have a confidence issue - You have no road experience in cycling or driving cars.

If you really have a dream of riding motorbikes then the above can be fixed with training but not if you quit !

Try the CBT on a smaller twist and go scooter where you won't have to worry bout changing gears.

Your only 19 and only been a pedestrian. Maybe you'll try again in 5 years time and cruise it.

Don't worry about other people having more experience. Your not in a competition.

If you feel that the school isn't giving you enough support then take your money elsewhere.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:20 - 03 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

vp1977uk wrote:
Your only 19 [...] Your not

Your worst then Hitlar.

Bubbs
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:18 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pay for private appointment, 1 on 1 training. Less stress, more guidance. Should do the trick.

I wouldn't worry about the falling off thing too much, nerves can be a right fucker when it comes to learning things. My first Mod 1 test I was completely terrible due to nerves (and a hangover).

If it's something you really want then brush yourself off and give it another go. Just don't give up until you get your CBT signed off. It doesn't matter how many times you do it, as long as you can afford it.

What's making you so nervous?

supZ
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:49 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Seriously, how bad am I? Reply with quote

Makhai wrote:
The instructor says that I'm going too slowly. I'm sort of afraid I'm going to hit a car, or get hit by a car, which I'm sure is very common.

To quote Yoda..

'That is why you fail'

If you're that shit scared of something happening on the roads don't go on the road. You'll panic when cars are around you; be unpredictable, drivers will get frustrated and do something not so safe to get past you.. and you'll end up getting hurt. Sorry, it's not for you. A scared rider/driver is a danger to himself and others.

(obligatory MTFU as others have said)

That said, the CBT is Compulsory Basic TRAINING. It's not a test. They train you to get to a minimal standard, so if you're not at that standard, then go back and do another day until you have the confidence out on the road to not let the above bother you.

A slate could fall of your roof as you step outside and hit you on the head. It's not worth worrying about what 'could' happen, just prepare as best you can and read your current situation.

That's not to say don't prepare for the worst (forward planning is crucial in biking) but I mean more 'hmm this corner is coming, am I at the right speed, can I see round it? What's the road condtion like? etc..' not 'OMFG CORNER!!! THERE COULD BE A DEER IN THE ROAD THE OTHER SIDE OR A MASSIVE HOLE OR.. FUCK!! A CAR'S COMING THE OTHER WAY HE MIGHT DECIDE TO SWERVE AT ME AND KILL ME!!! REEEEEEEE'.

See the difference?

Go back and try again. Don't worry about what everyone else is doing, just concentrate on what you're doing (and what the instructor tells you Wink). If you can do that you'll find you start to relax and enjoy the experience.

good luck, let us know how it turns out

EDIT:
you may think we can be a bit harsh on BCF but we are trying to help; we just don't sugar coat it.

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:56 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You fell and will continue to fall while you are so terrified of the roads.

Riding a motorisedbicyle will require confidence. Confidence that your bike can go around a corner at speeds over 20 mph, confidence that your bike will lean to get you around that corner. Confidence to assert your ownership of the road space you are in.

You've had a bad time and seem to be beating yourself up about it. You can't expect to be Rossi after 2 hours in a car park.

You should read up about the highway code. Go out in a car with somebody who can drive and observe what happens rather than singing/chatting. It can be dangerous out there, but not everyone gets mangled within 10 minutes, indeed very few people get mangled.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:00 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive a feeling the OP has ran away from this forum....and is probably still running.

Our BCF habit of giving advice without the sugar coatings may have scared him off.

example.....

"Does my bum look big in this"

Normal response
"No love you look great"

BCF response
"Your arse looks big in everything, dont like it lose weight and stop blaming the dresses!"

So to OP
In a nutshell, if you fell off 3 times on your first CBT and dropped the bike once, do it again and try and fall off less Smile
TOP TIP:
Dont fall off in front of a HGV Shocked

Wafer_Thin_Ham
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:01 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is OP re-doing CBT? Founced? I fear we shall never know. Thinking

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:55 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

my mate was meant to be doing his tomorrow

a re take has been riding for ten + years on Ls

changed his oil on his bike Friday and snapped the sump plug and cannot get one til Wednesday

nowhere keeps them in stock Laughing

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:12 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
a re take has been riding for ten + years on Ls

£1000 over ten years on CBT's alone (using £100 per CBT as an average figure, minus any additional years over ten that haven't been clearly mentioned), sod that.

Could have done CBT + old 33 hp license for less, shirley?

Within the year I wanted to fiddle with more horses than the tiddler I had provided me with. Horses, nom. Shocked Rolling Eyes

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:06 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:

£1000 over ten years on CBT's alone (using £100 per CBT as an average figure, minus any additional years over ten that haven't been clearly mentioned), sod that.

I agree with the sentiment but not the maths. CBTs last 2 years ..

But yeah, I only took the one. Any more would have been pissing money up the wall.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:51 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
I agree with the sentiment but not the maths. CBTs last 2 years ..

That one n all. Doh! Shhh!
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 355 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3