Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha YBR 125 Mods

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

MattE
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 15:53 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Yamaha YBR 125 Mods Reply with quote

As of recently I purchased a late 2010 model Yamaha YBR 125 and would like some suggestions or advice on some helpful and useful bike modifications that I could do to improve the safety, handling and overall look of the bike. I would like something to make the bike stand out but not look "tacky" or "naff" and not negatively affect the handling. The bike is in excellent condition and has only done 13,500 miles. It has a new rear tyre, new front and rear sprockets and a new chain.

I am looking for some simple modifications I can do in my garage at home which allows me to get a better understanding of the bike and some mechanical appreciation for how to work on it. I would like to change the speedo on it as it is chunky af and looks like it doesn't belong on the machine so if anyone has a suggestion on which speedo it could be switched for as I would like one that is smaller.

Thanks Matt

Last edited by MattE on 16:00 - 04 Apr 2018; edited 1 time in total

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:58 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best modification you can make is to your licence. Pass test and buy a bigger more powerful that isn't made as light as posible to compensate.

MattE
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 16:03 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
The best modification you can make is to your licence. Pass test and buy a bigger more powerful that isn't made as light as posible to compensate.

I will the day I turn 19 mate but seeing as I am stuck on a 125 I gotta wait a year and 9 odd months before I can. I will be doing my A1 test in a month or so to get rid of the L plates but other than that I can't really do much. I want to get some mechanical understanding of my bike and learn how to do the simple things on it.

Matt

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 16:07 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH, there's not much beyond sticking reflective stickers or leds all over it.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could possibly fit the later headlight/fairing on it, the later ones do look better IMO

https://www.thebikemarket.co.uk/media/45412/ybr125-main.jpg?width=640&height=480&mode=max&upscale=false%27

Other than that, it's not going to stand out. It's a 125 commuter, and any 'mods' you do will most likely make it look tacky and naff

DrSnoosnoo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:59 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get a Haynes manual and learn to service it properly.

Honestly, do not spend a penny on "modifications". It won't go faster, it won't handle better and frankly, it won't look better either. It's a 125 commuter machine. Accept it, get your licences and get your NCB built up for when you upgrade.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everything you do to make a YBR125 different from factory spec will ultimately devalue it prematurely. I doubt that
will stop you, but that doesn't make this statement any less true.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Everything you do to make a YBR125 different from factory spec will ultimately devalue it prematurely. I doubt that
will stop you, but that doesn't make this statement any less true.

Yeah, my advice would be "don't fuck about with it"

Service it, maintain it, then flog it on for what you paid for it.

By the way, nothing says "I crashed my bike and couldn't afford to fix it properly" more than things like aftermarket speedos.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:45 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Get some stickers and do a diy paint job or some vinyl wrapping?

Otherwise sell and get a bike you really want that looks how you want it to be or a ready modified small bike years later when you have nothing better to do.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:56 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye, Haynes manual, and start your tool collection. If you really feel the need to spend money on it, go for an air filter, spark plug, brake fluid, brake pads/shoes, fork oil - stuff that the bike will benefit from. Keep the receipts and start a service folder, so when you come to sell you have something tangible to hand over that looks like you've bothered to look after it.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

MattE
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:53 - 04 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Shaggy D.A. wrote:
Aye, Haynes manual, and start your tool collection. If you really feel the need to spend money on it, go for an air filter, spark plug, brake fluid, brake pads/shoes, fork oil - stuff that the bike will benefit from. Keep the receipts and start a service folder, so when you come to sell you have something tangible to hand over that looks like you've bothered to look after it.

Thanks, I will look into these. I already have the Haynes manual I think I paid a tenner for it along with the bike so I can learn to service it myself. I want some things to let me learn how to replace parts and possibly increase the performance. I appreciate the constructive suggestions thanks.

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:29 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a £300 YBR for the other half as she has shown an interest. I'll be going through all the main service items and changing to make sure it runs alright. Stuff like spark plug, air filter, oil change, the internal mesh gauze filter behind the right hand crankcase, brake pads, hoses, brake oil etc.. as mentioned above.

The only performance that's gunna change on a YBR is probably resistance, either wind or rolling. Stick a screen on it and get some half decent tyres like Michelin pilot streets etc..

The newer versions are also 2HP down on previous ones or so I've read.. (10bhp Vs 12bhp)

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:11 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moo. wrote:
The newer versions are also 2HP down on previous ones or so I've read.. (10bhp Vs 12bhp)

Yes, I believe the older carb versions were 12bhp and the FI models are 10bhp

Performance increase? Well, if you believe the kids on Facebook, sticking on a LeoVince exhaust and changing the front sprocket makes them good for 80+mph...

bellx1
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 15:31 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A windscreen will improve the handling (especially when it's windy) and will help you keep you warmer and less wet. If they're positioned correctly they'll decrease wind noise but if they're positioned incorrectly they'll increase it.

I've had one on my cg125 in winter and it's been great but I'm probably going to take it off when the weather starts getting better.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:21 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 for the windscreen. I have a YBR250 and get thrown around a lot on windy days doing 70mph so having the screen does make it more tolerable.

MattE
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:39 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: YBR 125 Reply with quote

So had the bike a month or so now and put about 300 miles on in the first couple of weeks Laughing. Also too all the fairings off and cleaned the bike entirely so its looking nice and shiny. Got my haynes manual out took the massive luggage rack off then realised you can't use the centre stand without it Crying or Very sad . Toying with the idea of changing the handlebars for some flat ones as the current ones are very high. All in all playing around taking the bike to bits and rebuilding a part each weekend in the garage is teaching me a lot about how to put a bike together.
If anyone has any suggestions of things I can do to learn the bikes mechanics or parts I can change to increase performance please let me know.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1