World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave70 wrote:
A skateboard fits nicely under that rear wheel. Wink

I sense we may be here a while...

Panda1909
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 09:57 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the Throtlocks/Croc-Lock?

Doubt they'll stand up to...well anything other than a hard pull really, but they're better than nothing...right?

(obviously in addition to, not instead of a decent chain and lock)
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:35 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panda1909 wrote:

Doubt they'll stand up to...well anything other than a hard pull really, but they're better than nothing...right?

(obviously in addition to, not instead of a decent chain and lock)

I dont see the point, Theives would just cut the brake line.
Personally i use a pair of disk locks when im out, i think its important to get a dick lock that fits tight to the disk. Most teem to fail as they can get a pry in them.
Thats if they dont cut the disk, but tbh if they are willing to cut parts of the bike up they are having it anyway.

One thing i have been thinking from this all...

Why would bike insurers want reduced bike crime.. i bet the increased premiums people are paying amount to FAR more money than they are losing in payout.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:37 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panda1909 wrote:

Yes. I occasionally use one on my Ninja, for several reasons:

1) Small disk holes make it tricky to get a big shackle lock through there.
2) I don't care if it gets stolen.
3) I'm lazy and can't be doing grubbing around on the ground.

They're just barely better than nothing. #BakLayf can remove the caliper, or just cut the brake line - he's going to be pushed away by his scootay pal anyway.

Novelty purposes only, but I'm a sucker for novelties.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:25 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
If you buy an Oxford chain or disc lock and should your bike ever get stolen, BCF will ask what security you were using and you will face ridicule for buying Oxford Products.

You will never live it down and you will have to learn to live with the shame.

If you're really lucky then you could even win an Oxford Products custom title!

Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy Laughing Very Happy

owl10
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 06:34 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:

You can always kill them first. Dance!

Trowbridge thief: "Do you want to get ran over for a f****** bag? Do you want to die for a bag?"

The thief was then stabbed.

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/15543403._They_were_trying_to_kill_me___Maslen_tells_jury/

Off topic...

Effective. I won't condone carrying a blade however it seems to have achieved the right result there (asuming the story is as per the kids account); hopefully the kid gets not guilty to all of the more serious charges.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 06:54 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, that's one of the earlier articles... he was cleared of murder, manslaughter, wounding with intent and unlawful wounding.

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/15547400.Jury_clears_Hayden_Maslen_of_Jordan_Taylor_murder/

And got 20 months for possession of the knife.

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/15549832.Hayden_Maslen_jailed_for_having_knife_in_fatal_brawl/

He'll be out in a few months and it's anyone's guess what will happen then since there are mixed feelings about him being cleared of murder.

https://www.wiltshiretimes.co.uk/news/15566382.Graffiti_calls_for_freedom_of_Hayden_Maslen/

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:24 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Almax vs Pragmasis Reply with quote

Panda1909 wrote:
Just wondering everyone's opinion on Pragmasis gear and Almax gear?

Only one answer to this questions.

Ste for Mod.

Plus Banhammer omnipotence that comes with the rank.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 16:28 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

AFAIK the main difference is that Pragmasis make chains in more lengths and of more widths. The 11mm and 13mm chains can also be made with a noose which almost doubles the usable length. A 13mm chain with a noose can be carried under the seats of most scooters.

Unleashed
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 15:06 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just stumped up for both the Almax Immobiliser 3 and 4 (16mm and 19mm links) at 1.5 metre. I Would definitely check that the immobiliser 4 fits through your ground anchor.

I use the Immobiliser 3 as my travel chain along side a disc lock and an electronic immobiliser
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:03 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a 2m Almax 3, would I fook want to carry that around with me anywhere

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:14 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:
I've got a 2m Almax 3, would I fook want to carry that around with me anywhere

I lug around the 9.6 kg (according to the website) 2.0 m 16 mm pragmasis alongside a 13 mm pragmasis and a disc lock. It's possible but it's a case of once you've securely loaded all the chains you can't carry much more -- both through physical storage space and how much you can feel the weight on the rear of the bike. Testing the limit of tail bags is a habit, too (stitching and zips especially).

Riding takes some adjustment in areas like shifting, slowing down and setting off from a dead stop -- inclines especially. I will admit, though, that not are rides are entirely smooth but I've never really felt the weight once on the move.

My setup, however, is slightly above average just because I commute and therefore like to make it as much of a problem as possible. I laughed tonight, though, because scootay boy that works near me has returned on the bike, post winter, and left his bike on the centre stand with nothing but a steering lock on (usually there's an oxford around his wheel lying on the floor) so goes to prove that it depends how much you really care.

A decent length 13 mm pragmasis is probably more than most people carry. When I first got the Kwak I used one but when I had the 16 mm delivered the chain links drawfed the 13 mm and I knew what one I'd rather rely on. It's not incapable of defending all attacks, of course, but its personal preference.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:45 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to carry a 3-metre, 13mm 3kg Pragmasis with noose under the seat of a scooter. When I upgraded to a proper bike, I moved the Pragmasis to the lamppost close to my office. it's been there for years and the council has never removed it. I also keep a bigger Pragmasis in my garage.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2