Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

A2 compliant vs restricted

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

MB3710
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 17:51 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: A2 compliant vs restricted Reply with quote

Hey all,

I've been riding a few years on a restricted ER6 (A2 license) and unfortunately was rear-ended the other day.

Looks like it's going to be a write off so I'm looking at replacements.

Considering I will not likely upgrade my license in the foreseeable future, I am debating getting a cheaper to buy and run A2 compliant bike rather than another bigger bike and restrict it.

I'm currently looking at a KTM 390 Duke and wanted to know how this would perform compared to my ER6. As far as I can see I'm getting a bike with the same power output only lighter and better equipped (390 overall seems to have better suspension, brakes etc) however there may be differences in power delivery.

Is anyone able to advise whether there would be much difference in performance between something like the 390 Duke and a restricted ER6 as the ER6 has been more than adequate and I don't want something that pales in comparison.

Was riding a 2016 ER6, interested in the 17/18 KTM.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:02 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I will not likely upgrade my license in the foreseeable future"

Hand

Your restricted ER6 being written off is the perfect opportunity to upgrade your license.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:50 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd await any claim to be settled before looking at another bike.

+ wot e said above.

MB3710
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 19:28 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate that things might not go my way with the claim and in which case, being a required for a transport would force me down the 390 route being the cheaper option.

Engineer has confirmed it's a write off.

Money is also one of the issues for redoing the lessons test etc to upgrade license which will only be made worse by the probability that I am now worse off when it comes to recovering costs of the bike which I'll never get it all back.

That being said I am making no commitments until I know everything is settled but I'm a planner and want to know what I'm going to do in both scenarios. That and I have to have a bike ASAP once claim is settled.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:35 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just how written off is it, what would be needed to get it back on the road again?

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:57 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surely OP brake checked someone to be in the position of getting rear ended and thinking the claim will go the other persons way.

Secondly why the fuck do you need lessons for a test you've already done!? Shocked

MB3710
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:13 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was stationary in traffic but I was in an accident in a car several years ago and that ended up 50/50 because no one saw it. Has made me distrustful of the whole insurance process.

Last time I priced up redoing tests with Bike hire etc it was about £500-600. Which I can book lesson packs with courses included for the same price.

Edit
Forgot to add that the bike need a new frame on top of swingarm, rear wheel, rear brake caliper and a few more bits so a fair emough.

Last edited by MB3710 on 20:15 - 05 Apr 2018; edited 1 time in total

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
Secondly why the fuck do you need lessons for a test you've already done!? Shocked

Because he doesn't have a bike to do the A test on and the one he's interested in buying doesn't comply to the requirements.

kawakid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:17 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the hassle, I had a restricted ER5 and a restricted Z750S on the old 33bhp restriction and the pretty much had the same top speed.

Can I just ask a question, did you do the A2 because of your age?

I have a mate at work and he has a 125 and he's 23, he's going to be 24 later in the year, he has always said there is no point doing the A2 and tbh I somewhat agree. Just wondered that's all.

MB3710
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:18 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
Fin wrote:

Because he doesn't have a bike to do the A test on and the one he's interested in buying doesn't comply to the requirements.

On top of this, I have no way of getting a A license bike to and from test Centres. Also I have heard that insuring for the tests is a nightmare.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:18 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

They've got to hit you pretty hard to break the frame, swingarm and rear wheel. Shocked Laughing

The frame and swingarm are bent?

MB3710
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 20:22 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes the A2 was due to age at the time. Though I find the restricted ER6 was plenty powerful enough.

I moved out of comfortable range for my 125 and rely on the bike to commute.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 20:30 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ste wrote:
Your restricted ER6 being written off is the perfect opportunity to upgrade your license.

Well, having a working ER6 would have been the perfect opportunity to drop £90.50 on re-doing a couple of pretty simple tests.

But we are where we are. I reckon that the Duke 390 will be more fun, until it stops working.

If you're going to get anything 600cc+ again, then for the love of Allan, just go and do your A tests on your own bike, then bin the restrictor. I mean, if you bother fitting one in the first place. Were you ever asked for evidence of that?

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MB3710 wrote:

Money is also one of the issues for redoing the lessons test etc to upgrade license which will only be made worse by the probability that I am now worse off when it comes to recovering costs of the bike which I'll never get it all back.

If money is an issue why does it have to be such a new bike? That'll also make your insurance more expensive as well.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:51 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: A2 compliant vs restricted Reply with quote

MB3710 wrote:
I am debating getting a cheaper to buy and run A2 compliant bike rather than another bigger bike and restrict it.

MB3710 wrote:

interested in the 17/18 KTM.

Quick fleabay search and they're 3k+

you can easily pickup a big bike +restrictor kit (if you're picky) and A tests for well under that.

Then when you're not so poor get something else, a new big duke or er6.

Finally with bike prices at the moment you could buy a bike and sell it without making any loss at the moment, some people pay more for bikes with kits already fit.

MB3710
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:02 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would like to get the best I can afford, which as far as I'm aware insurance tend to pay out book value not actual value which I believe would put me in the range of a year old KTM.

Replacing the ER6 ~£5000
A 17 plate KTM pre-reg is £3700

The Duke is also cheaper to insure than another ER6 by about £200 a year.

Assuming the KTM runs as well as or better than the restricted ER6 I would rather spend £3700 on a newer KTM than £3200 on a 5 year old bike and £500 on doing tests I'm not guaranteed to pass as they make me a complete bag of nerves.

This is of course all dependant on how much I get but I don't imagine insurance companies paying out anywhere near what something is actually worth.

Edit
It's worth noting that it doesn't have to be a KTM but as far as I have read it's the best A2 bike for that price range.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:14 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The KTM, whilst a good riding bikes isn't known for its build quality. You don't get the usual KTM quality until you go 690+. That's why it's cheap.

There are plenty bikes that are in excellent lightly used condition for a lot cheaper than a 5k ER6. There's absolutely no way I'd spend that on an er6 and I've been riding one as my commuter for the last 4 years.

I don't really understand the logic.

There's no need to spend 500 quid on lessons either, you don't need a full DAS course. Find a school or independent instructor that will do hourly lessons rather than just a full package, get a refresher and use their bike for the test.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Restriction Reply with quote

You could just look at bikes that are restricted by an ecu...buy bike and the restricted ecu and ride to the rest centre, swap out ecu in front of examiner and do tests. Then sell ecu to school or someone in similar boat.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:28 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I might have a KTM 390 in my garage, but I wouldn't have only a KTM 390 in my garage.

I wouldn't rule out the CB500 variants. Bang on the A2 power limit, lardier than the Duke but you're already used to the weight, no hassles with restricting and no outstanding reliability issues that I'm aware of. The CB500F probable offers the best value for money because it's the least desirable, but it's going to ride much the same as the X and 'R' once you're on it.

MB3710
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 21:35 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been a tit and forgot that the insurance will have to clear the remaining finance on the bike meaning whatever I buy will need to be on finance aka a dealership.

As added to my previous post which you probably missed me editing in, it doesn't have to be a KTM, I'm just not really seeing any reason to spend more when the restricted ER6 has been perfectly fine.

Not trying to say I disagree here, just that there's been no justification of buying a bigger bike over an A2 compliant. I feel the original question of will an A2 compliant bike ride as well as or better than a restricted bigger bike has been ignored in favour of saying just do your tests and buy a H2R Very Happy.
I don't mean that to sound rude at all and appreciate any input but I don't think that original question was ever answered.

Just got pricing from a riding school I trust and tend to be reasonably priced in the area:
Mod 1 & 2 with Bike hire £290
2 Lessons (refreshers for each test which I feel I would need to help my nerves more than anything) £130
Theory test (has expired) ~£25

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:43 - 05 Apr 2018    Post subject: Theory? Reply with quote

If you've been riding for a 'few' years on a2, then a theory test is not needed. Even a 'couple' of years make a theory test not required.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:18 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

To answer your original question then -. I don't think it matters. There's little advantage either way.

A2 bikes can command a premium that can make non A2 bikes better value however. An A license just gives you a lot more more to choose from, you don't have to buy a fireblade. I have a full A and my garage consists of a 125, a porky 500 and an er6. Total value of all three bikes is about 6k. All are in good nick and reliable.

You obviously don't have a big wedge of cash to spend so I just don't really understand why you're insistent on spending more for a newer bike when you could save a lot buying a lightly used one that's a few years old. If you liked your er6 then why not get another one? Mine was 4years old when j got it and looked and rode like it was new, for a lot less than 5k.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:38 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MB3710 wrote:
there's been no justification of buying a bigger bike over an A2 compliant.

There has been, you just don't like it.

Another ER6 (or anything 595cc+ and 40kW+, ideally 40kW-70kW) + £90.50, badda-boom, badda-bing, job done in a day. Don't raise the issue of restriction, you'll be fine.

Renting on finance means you can't afford the bikes that you want to ride. You won't like hearing that either.

thunderwow
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:07 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MB3710 wrote:
It's worth noting that it doesn't have to be a KTM but as far as I have read it's the best A2 bike for that price range.

It's well reviewed because journalists tend to do fairly short term tests and don't live with the bike long term.

The reality is that, fun as it is to ride, it's made out of cheese; if you plan on putting any serious mileage on it you'll end up rueing the day you bought it.

trevor saxe-coburg-gotha
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:43 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgm wrote:
The KTM, whilst a good riding bikes isn't known for its build quality. You don't get the usual KTM quality until you go 690+. That's why it's cheap. .

Apparently the new 790 twin is going to be made in China. I'm not saying that's going to be a problem for QC - but I do seem to be implying that. And not too subtly, either.

Mobylette Type 50 ---> Raleigh Grifter ---> Neval Minsk 125
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 13 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2