Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Magnetic oil drain plug

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:21 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Magnetic oil drain plug Reply with quote

Been recommended one of these, but just wondered if there any good.

The idea being that any small metal particles in your oil will stick to the plug so you can get rid next oil change.

Just wondered how much metal were talking about lol
has anyone tried these and was you surprised how much?

Or like i expect, is it a load of bollocks Very Happy

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 18:23 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

well this guy likes it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDN-qJ4bONM

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 18:46 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on the bike. Back in the days of bikes without oil filters and oils without detergent, they were a fantastic idea. In a modern engine, much of which is made of non-magnetic alloy anyway, and with a paper element filter, I suspect they are less relevant.

If it comes out like a hedgehog, there is probably something horribly wrong. I've heard of them catching a snapped off gearing dog or similar before it gets into the gearbox/alternator/clutch and mullers something.

In fairness though, they don't actually fix anything, they just grab bits of swarf after the damage has already happened. The oil filter should be stopping anything bigger than 30 microns from circulating anyway.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 19:09 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stallion. wrote:
the cunt sheared off I was lucky to get the remnants out without any welding

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:36 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a neodymium magnet stuck on the front of my oil filter, as recommended by somebody-or-other. As well as trapping scrap bits of engine it's also allegedly supposed to fool traffic light sensors into thinking your bike is the size of a car, and to change the lights for you.

Whether either supposed function actually does anything, I have no idea but hey...

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:20 - 06 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, no real need for a magnetic sump nut, after draining my oil I pour in half a litre of fresh cheap just to drain the shit out. (normal oil)

Fisty
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:56 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stallion. wrote:
I bought one for my old Vara from m and p and the cunt overtightening it sheared it off. I was lucky to get the remnants out with just a screwdriver and it wasn't even tight when the head sheared leaving the bolt stuck in the sump.

EFA
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:19 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes magnetic drain plugs are useful.
You probably will not notice iron in the oil when you drain it and not a lot of folk cut the old filter open for a shoofti either (it is quite important to do this as part of the maintenance job) so any iron in the machinery will present on the wee magnet.

You can determin if it is normal wear material or a catastropic failure in progress by the size and quantity of shrapnel/jewellery.

Not vital but very good to know what is go in on or coming off inside your stuff.

Some fit as standard O.E.M. equipment but easy to find after market if you feel a need for it.

Magnet on the filter not so handymasnyou need to cut the hoowur open to see wots wot.

Ed Case
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:08 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I fit them to whatever bike I'm currently running. Used to have an old Italian 'clunker' , no filter just a sieve,and I changed the oil every 1000 miles, the mag plug came out looking like bumble bee every time. Oddly enough it isn't unusual to get 80,000 miles out of those lumps without any problems.

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I only ever used one once and it stripped the sump thread well below torque, never again.

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:42 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah. I do have a habit of plonking a neodidlium magnet under the sump in my oil drain pain when I do an oil change to catch any chaff though.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:04 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
I only ever used one once and it stripped the sump thread well below torque, never again.

I'm confused as to how that could have been the fault of the plug and not the person on the end of the wrench?

Kind of backs up my frequent assertion that more threads are stripped using torque wrenches than any other tool.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:52 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Fin wrote:

I'm confused as to how that could have been the fault of the plug and not the person on the end of the wrench?

Kind of backs up my frequent assertion that more threads are stripped using torque wrenches than any other tool.

"Alas twas not any fault of a wrench but the monkey who driveth it."
(Wm. Shakespeare 1655-1788)

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:32 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: oil plug Reply with quote

magnetic sump plugs, well worth the money, remember the old mini's etc !!!!!

as to torque wrench, yes after years of experience you may not need one ( bit I always use one for the "critical" stuff, and so I can sleep nights, but we are all getting older ), the not so experienced who cant read etc....... ?

Get a good torque wrench and learn how to use it. This will involve some reading.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 11:51 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: oil plug Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:

Get a good torque wrench and learn how to use it. This will involve some reading.

I've stopped tightening a faster with a torque wrench before it clicked because I felt it starting to go plastic numerous times. I wouldn't recommend using one at all with a few exceptions where the tension needs to be very accurate and equal such as cylinder heads, rocker caps and stretch bolts on brakes.

On something flimsy like a sump drain bolt into an alloy casting or an engine casing fastener, I wouldn't touch it with a torque wrench. It's a good way to strip the threads with panache and confidence.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: oil plug Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
bikenut wrote:

I've stopped tightening a faster with a torque wrench before it clicked because I felt it starting to go plastic numerous times. I wouldn't recommend using one at all with a few exceptions where the tension needs to be very accurate and equal such as cylinder heads, rocker caps and stretch bolts on brakes.

On something flimsy like a sump drain bolt into an alloy casting or an engine casing fastener, I wouldn't touch it with a torque wrench. It's a good way to strip the threads with panache and confidence.

The trouble with using any tool/equipment is knowing what you are doing.
Many people, mechanics included, do not fully understand what is happening when a bolt/nut is turned into or onto a thread.
The principles that maintain things in place using threaded fastener is tension and friction. (Thread design and material counts too)

Some designs require a lubricant and some explicitly don't. That is very important to know.
The pressure exerted by the fastener is super affected by lubricant.

I continually moan at mechanics who do not use a torque wrench when prudence requires and then when they do not look for the specific torque value then use the torque wrench incorrectly. Shocked

I isn't even Rocket Surgery.

Barnoe
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:22 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over tightening is easily done when someone is scared of the bolt coming loose while on a ride.

i suppose its a fine line, just nip it tight as they say.

Getting it tight then going for a full extra turn is always going to end in tears.

if your not confident get someone who is, or take it to a bike mechanic.

ironically people do it themselves to save money, sometimes is doesn't!!

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:29 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Barnoe wrote:
Over tightening is easily done when someone is scared of the bolt coming loose while on a ride.

i suppose its a fine line, just nip it tight as they say.

Getting it tight then going for a full extra turn is always going to end in tears.

if your not confident get someone who is, or take it to a bike mechanic.

ironically people do it themselves to save money, sometimes is doesn't!!

But there is not excuse now-a-days to get so much shit wrong.
Intelligence is not a learned skill. 😂

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:39 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen after market magnetic sump plugs with a lot less thread on them than the original plug. If you're applying the factory spec torque to a third less thread, guess what happens.
I don't bother with them.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:50 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jnw010 wrote:
I've seen after market magnetic sump plugs with a lot less thread on them than the original plug. If you're applying the factory spec torque to a third less thread, guess what happens.

I give in...

Very Happy

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:22 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
jnw010 wrote:

I give in...

Very Happy

Dance!
What do I win?

bikenut
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:52 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: mag sump plug Reply with quote

What do I win ?

Why a torque wrench of course lol !!!

However, if you use a sump plug with a third less thread, and, give the nipped sump plug a full turn just for luck, then a new brain is what you need.

I use the mag sump plugs sold by M and P and have no issues what so ever with them.

I would prefer a slightly longer " magnet " part to the plug.

Remember the mini/1100/1300 "xmas tress" ??

Knowing when a thread feels "iffy" etc., is all down to common sense, good vision, feel, and experience. A manual is also good for the torque value.

God help us when stretch bolts ( they are being used already to a certain extent, think about it ) and "angular toque" not to mention actual "stretch", become the norm, which wont be long.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:00 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: mag sump plug Reply with quote

bikenut wrote:
What do I win ?

Why a torque wrench of course lol !!!

However, if you use a sump plug with a third less thread, and, give the nipped sump plug a full turn just for luck, then a new brain is what you need.

I use the mag sump plugs sold by M and P and have no issues what so ever with them.

I would prefer a slightly longer " magnet " part to the plug.

Remember the mini/1100/1300 "xmas tress" ??

Knowing when a thread feels "iffy" etc., is all down to common sense, good vision, feel, and experience. A manual is also good for the torque value.

God help us when stretch bolts ( they are being used already to a certain extent, think about it ) and "angular toque" not to mention actual "stretch", become the norm, which wont be long.

Stretch bolts and angular torque is already the norm but for specific assemblies.

Common sense?

Would that be the same sense that is common that accepts that a lot of mythical stuff is factual?

Very Happy

It is not really common sense. Mechanical maintenance is not an instinct. It is something that has to be learned or explained.

That's why we have BCF to guide and help the common woman or man.

And my preference when it comes to torque is to turn it until it breaks off then back it off 180° Centigrade or to convert Fahrenheit to Celsius divide by 32 and add 15.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 350 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1