Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Yamaha Townmate : Gone and got a moped

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:25 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Yamaha Townmate : Gone and got a moped Reply with quote

Just interested if anyone has any experience with them, considering getting one for commuting to work. The commute to work is 10 miles each way and consists of 30 and 50 limit roads. I know they are getting rare now and quite expensive on ebay.

Looking forward to any replies.

Last edited by TheSmiler on 17:06 - 12 Apr 2018; edited 1 time in total

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:56 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So a C90 copy with shaft drive then. Had to google, then I remembered them. I gave £700 for our Xenter125 on a 13 plate.
If I had to commute 10 miles each way, I'd use that. 100mpg. 60mph plus easily. No gears, full leg shields and a screen.
Add a pair of muffs, topbox and a leg curtain and you've got a good commuter.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:40 - 07 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have its predecessor a V75 (so 2 stroke and chain drive). Fuck commuting on that. Agree with grr666 if you want a cheap little commuter get a modern scoot.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 01:15 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with them but you'll probably get something newer, bigger and faster for the same sort of money.

I'd be tempted by a Honda Innova.

You still get an occasional commuter-class 100cc 2-stroke going cheap. Like the GP/YB/KH100. Those are a complete hoot.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:34 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I remember them, and I think Suzuki also did their own C50/90 rival in both two and four stroke versions too.

Agree with above comments, that less than a Grand will get you a modern 4stroke twist and go commuter scooter that's better handling and crucially better braked for modern commuting. There's plenty of aftermarket accessories for modern scooters too like screens, luggage carrier's and aprons, heated grips etc. Also if they go the same way as the Honda C90 they will end up very expensive and sought after for retro customised step throughs, and not worth the money as a daily hack.

In fact a 100-250cc cheap modern 4stroke scoot is something I've been meaning to pick up myself for a while, as a useful little hack and to counter the silly small bikes I like for fun and tinkering with. I do quite rate the newer Peugeot scooters with the big wheels, for equipment and VFM, but anything Japanese or Kymco would be good.

Fuck commuting on a drum braked classic two stroke H100/YB etc, as these little strokers are going up in value and so will be more expensive to buy and get spares for now, especially as people are snapping up anything old and vaguely affordable to get a 2stroke in their garage while they can.

If I had a YB/GP/RXS etc I'd be putting an expansion chamber on it, tuning it and using it on summer evenings to get my fix of 2stroke smoke&smell. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 12:04 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shame they don't do Hero motorcycles over here. One of those would be perfect.

bassmastergen...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 21:28 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As useful an urban commuter as it undoubtedly is, the Townmate is an overpriced antique nowadays, with less than great spares availability.

I would echo Stinkwheel's suggestion of the Innova, the earlier carbed ones are cheap now and are way better machines than the Townie; disc brake, 4 gears, tele forks, less shit lights etc. FI models are dearer but mega frugal (if slightly slower). Depending on how low your budget is you might want to consider the Wuyang 125, which is probably the most acceptable of all the Chinese Innova clones.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I put this up waa I've never ridden a scooter before. Having something that I don't mind battering that is good on fuel sounds decent when you can save on tax.

At the moment my k gets between 35 and 50mpg depending what week I'm on and the riding. So fancied something better on fuel. Didn't really want to go down the ped route as they are easily abused by learners with modifications.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:07 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TBH I'd just go straight to a Honda PCX or equivalent for a decent little high mpg no fuss commuter. The PCX holds its value very well, and you can get useful accessories for them instead of chavfest ped tuning parts.

They also have neat features like an LED headlight, stop start for even better mpg. A twist and go scoot is a tool to do a job. A 10mile urban commute for penny running costs is it's forte, so there should be no shame for a bike rider to use one.

I know some people that'd commute a few miles a day on a big bike like a ZZR1100 just because they won't be seen dead on a twist and go plastic scooter.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Northern Monkey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:47 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should listen to everyone’s opinions then buy something old and shit based on the distance between the rear wheel and the rear subframe.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 12:50 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bear in mind that Sammy (the OP) has a pathological fear of chain lubrication.

To be honest, judging by the abuse some mopeds take at the hands of 16 and 17 year olds, that would be the best choice. A four stroke 125cc scooter of virtually any Chinese providence would be great.

Arrow Feet forward riding position (for hurty knees)
Arrow No chain drive to worry about (Not that I ever worry...)
Arrow Highly crashable (at least it won't affect the value)
Arrow So cheap as to be disposable (buy another from Gumtree)
Arrow Parts available as pretty much all chinese scoots will have the same kind of engine (See point directly above).

You also need to determine if the money you spend on the scoot would outweigh the money you save on petrol. We're talking about a gallon a week on the Beemer which is about 5.40 ponds a week. A 4t scoot would double that so assuming the scoot costs a cheap 540 quid, It'll take you nearly two years to save the purchase cost, but that's not including insurance, tax, MOT, tyres, maintenance etc.

In my opinion it's a false economy.

kawashima
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:27 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had C50, it was slower than scooters in acceleration = frustration.
(C110 is slower than 110 scoot, C125 is slower than 125scoot)
They have 3 or 4 gears but they are wide. Can't select gears like 5 gears = frustration.
Their tanks are only 4litre. (and INNOVA 125(= Thailand Wave 125i) has 3.7litre due to PGM-FI space needed)
They have poor suspension.
What annoyed me were all of above. I had to buy NS50F later.

125 version with smaller tyres is MSX125.(I think it has same engine and gear system with Thai cub125)

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 15:52 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Innova rides very like a proper bike.

It has telescopic forks, the rear brake is on the right foot and gears on the left. Also has proper footpegs rather than a footplate and marginally bigger wheels than most scooters.

Only thing you're missing is a clutch really.

Enclosed chain requires very little maintainance.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:46 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fucking hell Marjay, you'll have me considering buying the next Chingwong plastic beast I come across too! Why can't people steer my mind correctly and suggest I get some Husaberg fire breathing competition tool with lights or an Aprilia SVX etc.

Its a sad day when the vehicle you could do with side of your brain overrides the vehicle you'd like part, or you falter in a moment of logic you can't argue against convincingly. Laughing

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:13 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So yesterday I purchased this Baotian 50cc for £100.
The plastics are broken on it as you would expect.
The indicators are useless (only come on when revs are high and don't flash.
Missing half its bolts.

But it runs rides and stops plus it came with a full tank of fuel and insurance is £13 a year. Oh yeah and 12 months mot. Also its just so lulzy got to avoid hills though yikes walking would be faster on a hill.

https://i.imgur.com/2R5Wgpv.jpg

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:17 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're brave getting a chinese 50 Sammy. Shocked

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
walking would be faster on a hill.

Bore kit, big valve head, chav exhaust, play with variator weights. Worked on my vclic pretty well (which is the same as that ped with a Peugeot badge glued on). You can mod the shit out of these little GY6 peds for pennies.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:22 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iain may be losing his crown Thinking

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

4 stroke... even if he does all the stuff I listed it's mid 40's at best on the flat. It will hold 30+ uphill then though, standard they do about 15 uphill Laughing

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:53 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

M.C wrote:

Sold two bikes the other day for £2150 cash. That cost me less than a grand.

wr6133 wrote:

4 stroke... even if he does all the stuff I listed it's mid 40's at best on the flat. It will hold 30+ uphill then though, standard they do about 15 uphill Laughing

Interesting I've never messed with the head or internals of an engine. Though It would be cool to upgrade it; I've got this bike so I don't lose my licence.

Any idea what the best tyres are for them? Got some on at the moment but lliterally no grip.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 18:01 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Any idea what the best tyres are for them? Got some on at the moment but lliterally no grip.

Mitas are quite good, they use them on Pitbike supermoto.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 18:02 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMO backward step.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:07 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fook me what a contrast to a big heavy K100 eh?

I hope it stays together and does the job, but I do actually for once wonder if a 50cc four stroke auto has enough power to be safe even in 30mph town/city use?*

* I know MC will be surprised to hear me saying this. Laughing

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 18:14 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you been over taken by any more cyclists? Razz

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:21 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Fook me what a contrast to a big heavy K100 eh?

I hope it stays together and does the job, but I do actually for once wonder if a 50cc four stroke auto has enough power to be safe even in 30mph town/city use?*

* I know MC will be surprised to hear me saying this. Laughing

Yeah I know but for £100 I'm not complaining if it lasts me a month. I'm holding the position on the road and on some roads there is that much traffic its stop start anyway. The only problems are the hill.

You should try one I don't know why people moan about them I was laughing all the way to work and back yesterday which was a total of 20 miles. Laughing Laughing

Ste wrote:
Have you been over taken by any more cyclists? Razz

Only on the hill yesterday.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 351 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2