BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Supermarket fuel?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 21:39 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really hate it when people say "I've done x and I've had no problems." In what world is a) anecdotal evidence a reasonable standard of evidence? and b) is a sample size of your 3-4 vehicles filling ~ 2000 litres of fuel a year a reasonable sample size?

Do you think someone would someone say "I smoked 20 cigarettes a day for the last 5 years and I didn't develop cancer therefore there's no health risks associated to smoking."

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:11 - 08 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NeverAgain wrote:
I really hate it when people say "I've done x and I've had no problems." In what world is a) anecdotal evidence a reasonable standard of evidence? and b) is a sample size of your 3-4 vehicles filling ~ 2000 litres of fuel a year a reasonable sample size?

Do you think someone would someone say "I smoked 20 cigarettes a day for the last 5 years and I didn't develop cancer therefore there's no health risks associated to smoking."

In the same way you have people saying I tried supermarket fuel once and my car/bike/mrs sex toy shit itself nevermind the other hundreds of thousands of people who had no issue it was obviously that supermarket fuel taken from the same tank as another few hundred people that day who had no issues.
NeverAgain This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 06:45 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find that simple human error is more likely in a supermarket, as said, they have far higher volumes, and far more deliveries, than your average local station. In this area, on past history, they're one's likely to fuck up and put the wrong fuel in the wrong underground tank. They then drag feet, kick and scream over fixing the issue, which in some cars, goes beyond a simple drain and swap.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:16 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A bit more anecdote for you; a new person started work with us recently. Their previous job had been with a major supplier of DPFs and catalytic converters. We were chatting about the whole DPF/diesel thing and I mentioned that I had had a Skoda diesel with a DPF that had had not a moment’s issue over 75,000 miles and I had done nothing special to look after it. They asked me what fuel I used and I said just the big brand stuff, never supermarket. “You did look after it then” was their reply.

AshWebster
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 10:06 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the compression ratio of your engines..

Some supermarket fuel has low octane which can cause det in tuned engines with higher compression ratios.

I only ever use v power in both car and bike... i'm not fully clued up on my bikes engine (probably a job for today while qwork is slow), but I do know for a fact (and from experience) low octane fuel breaks my car engine.

So yes, for everyday lumps like bandits I'd say Tesco's own brand shoudl suffice, but for trackday tricksters I'd definitely say V-power (or similar), if not for the safety of your engine but the added horsepower the better fuel gives...

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 10:58 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There seems to be a lot of chemists on this thread........ Rolling Eyes

Ethanol causes your engine to rust! Don't fill up with cheap fuel, use the expensive stuff!

And while your at it, go to a motorway service station cause theirs is so expensive it cures the rust in your engine that you caused by using Tescos shit Laughing Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Andy_Pagin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:11 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

FWIW for the past thirty four years I've stuck religiously with 'whatever's the cheapest'. No issues so far...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:32 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
A bit more anecdote for you; a new person started work with us recently. Their previous job had been with a major supplier of DPFs and catalytic converters. We were chatting about the whole DPF/diesel thing and I mentioned that I had had a Skoda diesel with a DPF that had had not a moment’s issue over 75,000 miles and I had done nothing special to look after it. They asked me what fuel I used and I said just the big brand stuff, never supermarket. “You did look after it then” was their reply.

We have three Toyota Hilux with DPF.

Continuous PITA.
They plug up with soot due to local speed control limiting the vehicle performance. They never get to 'highway speed' so soot is not burned off in the DPF.
The fuel system has a fith injector in the zost manifold which 'should' inject fuel as and when sensors on the zost man determine blockage (Differential Pressure). The ECU some why dosen't bother it's arse to activate that system either.
But it does detect a clagging (as the vehicles do soot up) so de-rates the engine and causes rough transmission shifts.
We had to buy a code reader tool to activate the 'cleaning program' manually. This did not do it so we had to buy a spray gun kit and the cleaning agents to scoot into the DPF and try to dissolve the clag.
That operation plus running the cleaning program via the code reading tool sorted the problem.

But the whole reason for the DPF is a bit lame as they still put shit out. We sometimes notice other vehicles making a big blast of soot on acceleration. Unlikely it is poor engine maintenance on those vehicles as they look like they are only a few months old.

And Toyota are absolute morons at After Sales. We got zero help from them. I called Toyota USA/Dubai and even Japan. I was more or less advised to do one. Smile

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:17 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tetraethyllead

oscar777
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:02 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've known enough people in that industry, and all have said the same thing. The standard fuel is from the same supplier to all supermarkets aside from Tesco, who have their own supply. You can even see the BP trucks filling up sainsburys etc stations.

If you're talking premium, the non supermarkets have their own formulas with cleaning and anti ping additives. So yes they will be better. But that is reflected in the price and if also depends on the compression of the engine as to whether you'd benefit from higher octane. Low compression motors run better on lower octanes as it's simply a higher calorie content per ml.

Now Tesco seems to be a different story and I would never fill up with their standard fare. I remember when I ran my 125, it would run like utter sh*t on tesco petrol without fail, I considered that a good confirmation. They've also had past instances of ethanol spiking.

As far as filling wrong tanks go, saying supermarkets are more prone is a bit of paranoia in my opinion.

Panda1909
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:06 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If supermarket fuels rust up parts of the engine, would using something like Redex or similar work to clean it out every few fills?

oscar777
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:40 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panda1909 wrote:
If supermarket fuels rust up parts of the engine, would using something like Redex or similar work to clean it out every few fills?

It doesn't.

Panda1909
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:46 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

oscar777 wrote:
Panda1909 wrote:

It doesn't.

Fair enough Laughing

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:56 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redex is shit never really noticed any gains from it.
Millers EcoMax seems to work well tho, i think its just a bottled mix of the detergents octane boosters ect in fuels like Vpower.

I tried some a few days ago went for a nice long ride.
2 tanks full at 1ml per litre.Bike was noticeably smoother running at 4500 rpm cruising. Probably just helped de crud a sensor or something.
Dunno the science, just know it worked.

In my bike its a difference of pennies per tank so i just run premiums unless its a middle of of nowhere station.
Probably costs me an extra £20 a year at most, no brainier to me.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I honestly believe the placebo effect does much more for performace and MPG than claims from fuel producers.

But. I still like to use High Juice in my bikes. (Coz they can really convert all the benefits.)

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:06 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
I honestly believe the placebo effect does much more for performace and MPG than claims from fuel producers.

Probably, but:

Regarding Shell V-Power. I worked at a Yam dealer where the head mechanic would recommend its use for minor fuelling issues, especially on carb'd bikes. Some customers came back and reported improvements with it.
A few years later, a mechanic I trusted very much recommended to me that I use it all the time - he rated it highly for similar. Mind you, he wasn't the one paying for it Rolling Eyes
I have found that Fazer 1000s (FZS) run a bit more smoothly on it. I'm fairly convinced that this is an instant benefit over other fuels on these bikes, although it's a marginal benefit as far as I can tell. But most of the time I just run 95 octane fuel, usually from big-name brands. No problems experienced. I've occasionally used the supermarket fuels (95) as well, haven't experienced any problems, but I don't use them often for the bike. They're fine all the time in the car.

But, you don't get much more anecdotal than all that Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

skatefreak
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as anecdotal, the only additive I've found to do anything for anything would be redex for diesel which only seemed to help with old school CAV fuel pumps. Anywhere else I've not seen it do sh*t.
Same for redex for petrol everything Rolling Eyes

buaan
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 15:08 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always fill up at either Asda or Morrisons, in my KTM, in the TDI or the Petrol Turbo car I have.

The bike has done 10k in my ownership on that fuel, Derv car 50k and Petrol 500 miles lol - No issues on any of them, as in no issues with the engines at all not just related to fuelling.

I only run something like say Shell Optimax or whatever it is when I specifically tuned an engine to run the higher octane fuel with more advanced timing.

The premium fuel will give you a boost in bhp and a slight bump in MPG but where I fix it is bloody 10p a litre more expensive! The modern turbo petrol car I am told puts out around 10hp more on the stock tune, I didn't notice any different in mpg when I tried it as it was its first tank of fuel.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:43 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
But. I still like to use High Juice in my bikes. (Coz they can really convert all the benefits.)

Indeed, your RR10000RRRRR demands 98 premier league super 1337 fulez, or it'll get a face on like a skelpit arse.

My Tractor asks for something starting with a 9. The Enfield will run on liquefied high rise cladding.

Maybe - bear with me here - maybe folk could read their fine manual and follow its recommendations?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:58 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
MCN wrote:

Indeed, your RR10000RRRRR demands 98 premier league super 1337 fulez, or it'll get a face on like a skelpit arse.

My Tractor asks for something starting with a 9. The Enfield will run on liquefied high rise cladding.

Maybe - bear with me here - maybe folk could read their fine manual and follow its recommendations?

If you have a 'knock sensor' fitted then you can diverse the shit out of the forecourts with any flavour you can afford.

If not, you can still use the God Fuel but only reap the benefits of the 'improved' additive package (cleaners etc.).
Keeping the fuel system as clean as possible can only be good for something.

I'll bet Jimmy Shell et al do not put anything in your tank that is un-profitable for his coffers though.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 17:45 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GSXR says 95 RON, it gets any old shit. If it ignites, it goes in.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:59 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

Continuous PITA.
They plug up with soot due to local speed control limiting the vehicle performance.

what i was told to do ; for my transit; was to keep the engine spinnin even when goin at modest speeds .. in anycase 1500- 2000rpm .. the lower bein the minimum for DPF regeneration..

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:27 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kin DPFs. Brick Wall Don't get me started.Silence My nearest place is an Esso so that's what it gets. I always fill up whatever I'm
in/on when I go for fuel. Can't see the point of odds and sods here and there. Besides, too many people do their bloody
shopping, scratchcards, lottery, electric and tobacco at the same time. I'd rather visit as infrequently as I possibly can
and not be stood behind them while they balls about buying other stuff that is freely available elsewhere at a variety of
locations, whereas I'm limited to buying fuel at fuel stations. Mad It's always a fkin woman too, wistfully choosing
a nice bunch of flowers to take home oblivious to the fact the queue of cars goes onto the road, then she PICKS UP A
BASKET and goes inside to ponder what bottle of wine to take home that will be nice with dinner. Brick Wall Brick Wall Brick Wall
As if fuel caps, plastic gloves, driving through car wide gaps and parking within a metre of a pump don't slow
women down enough, they give them somewhere to shop as well??? Who thought of that should be shot.
Anybody familiar with the Tesco Petrol station in Warmley will know exactly what I mean.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
MCN wrote:

Continuous PITA.
They plug up with soot due to local speed control limiting the vehicle performance.

what i was told to do ; for my transit; was to keep the engine spinnin even when goin at modest speeds .. in anycase 1500- 2000rpm .. the lower bein the minimum for DPF regeneration..

Aye there are methods to fool the ecu.

We suggested that they roast the hoowurs once or twice on the way to work by keeping the auto box in manual 2nd.

It never did the job.

I think the problem is that we got three cars due for European market as urgent supply. Our other new cars have no DPF just the cat.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 16 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3