Supermarket fuel?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

Pukka
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 01:00 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

oscar777 wrote:
The standard fuel is from the same supplier to all supermarkets aside from Tesco, who have their own supply. You can even see the BP trucks filling up sainsburys etc stations.

Sainsburys changed supplier from BP to greenergy (who were the main suppliers of esso and tesco beforehand) around 2013. However you are right because we would receive different branded trucks for the standard petrol/diesel. These tankers would then go to deliver to other branded/ supermarket locations.

If we needed a super delivery though it always arrived on a sainsburys/ greenergy branded trailer.

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 08:20 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Splerge about Tesco stations

Its exactly the same in my home town, my local Tesco express forecourt is constantly chock a block cause everyone decides to do their weekly shop after putting fuel in. Fucking rediculous, go to a supermarket love, its cheaper! And it doesn't waste everyone else's time.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Wonko The Sane
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:46 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
It can have a pretty high ethanol content which can cause probolems if you have an older bike.

I do about 1000 miles a month, mainly getting fuel from Morrisons or Asda. If I see the tanker in the fuel station then I'm off elsewhere as the tanker filling the petrol station's tanks up can stir up a load of crap.

Both the ZZR and the Hornet have been happy enough, yes, they feel a touch perkier on Texaco or Shell's standard fuels but they run happy enough on supermarket stuff.

The ZZR did start to have problems due to the ethanol, the various bits of rubber tips and seals in the carbs had started to perish, but it was still running, just a touch fussy on choke - carb re-build sorted it, it had done 50k by that point, 25k of that in my ownership and hadn't had a carb re-build so was probably due.

only had the hornet a year, so no issues as yet.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:12 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wonko The Sane wrote:
If I see the tanker in the fuel station then I'm off elsewhere as the tanker filling the petrol station's tanks up can stir up a load of crap.

I read this often but I cannot understand why petrol/Diesel retailers would leave their arseholes wide open to claims that they sold dirty fuel.

Is there ANY solid evidence that a fuel tanker delivery causes problems in vehicle fuel systems?

Based on your theory, what if the tanker left five minutes before you arrive? (You didnt see it.)
Do you ask the pump jockey when the last tanker discharged?

How long after delivery is it presumed safe to fill up?

I believe the tanker fill g the petrol station tanks causing disruption is one of dem urban myths.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:

I believe the tanker fill g the petrol station tanks causing disruption is one of dem urban myths.

Tankers are required to stand still until the liquid surging has stopped ... so if a large amount of fluid is pumped into a container would this not cause a surging event .. Question

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:32 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm almost certain that tanks are maintained as part of insurance for the station.
That will include a sample of dregs for lab analysis for water and detritus.

I don't know where all this dirt is supposed to come from.

I know some fuel tanks in private yards etc. are dirty. If not maintained of if filled with dirty fuel then there is a risk.

But the tanks are kept clean.

Ask the lassie at the counter if she knows.

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 22:10 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nowt wrong with supermarket fuel.

Millions of people use it so if it was shit there'd be broken down vehicles all over the place.

But there aren't 'cos it's not.

The End.

NeverAgain
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:

Millions of people use it so if it was shit there'd be broken down vehicles all over the place.

But there are broken down vehicles all over the place. Regardless, correlation does not imply causation.

weasley
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:25 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:

But there aren't 'cos it's not.

The End.

This implies that a vehicle can exist in one of only two states - "working" or "broken down". In truth there are myriad shades of "working", many of which will be considered to be "working OK" by the average punter. An engine with slowly blocking fuel injectors will gradually lose power over time, which may not be noticed. It won't necessarily break down and the owner may well say "I used cheap fuel and my bike's OK".

DJP
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 21:25 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

weasley wrote:
This implies that a vehicle can exist in one of only two states - "working" or "broken down". In truth there are myriad shades of "working", many of which will be considered to be "working OK" by the average punter. An engine with slowly blocking fuel injectors will gradually lose power over time, which may not be noticed. It won't necessarily break down and the owner may well say "I used cheap fuel and my bike's OK".

Please provide evidenced examples of where this has actually happened solely due to the use of supermarket fuels.

Oh wait... You can't. Mr. Green Middle Finger

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:30 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

DJP wrote:
weasley wrote:

Please provide evidenced examples of where this has actually happened solely due to the use of supermarket fuels.

Oh wait... You can't. Mr. Green Middle Finger

Game, set and match...

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:25 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a pricey contamination issue in 2007

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2007/mar/01/transport.uk

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2007/mar/06/oilandpetrol.transportintheuk

https://www.theguardian.com/business/2007/apr/17/supermarkets.tesco1

So one proven event of oxygen sensors being damaged by sillicone contamination.

Personally I avoid the crumbling independent fuel stations particularly if they can't keep a card machine running or are otherwise cash only and if they can't keep a forecourt clean. I prefer pay at the pump stations over anywhere else as I don't have to fuck about with helmet, glasses, gloves and earplugs, and I won't use pay on exit kiosks, particularly the one at seacroft asda that's on a downhill slope sufficient to defeat a sidestand.

And edenthorpe tecso, but that's because the staff like assaulting customers.

Musketeer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just go to the nearest station which in my case happens to be Tesco.

I've been using their RON95 in my current car for nearly 10 years without any issues.

I've been using their premium fuel in my Fireblade for years.. also no issues.

I really don't feel like riding extra 2 miles to fill up with V-Power at 'premium' price.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 342 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3