Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Used bike advice for brother

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum
View previous topic : View next topic  

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:52 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Used bike advice for brother Reply with quote

Hi all, my brother is looking at getting into push bikes, think he wants to get fit on some trails around the nearby woods, nothing too steep etc.

He's found 2 bikes on scumtree, I just was interested in some feedback you could have for him. His budget is low, around £200-250 max. Are either any good? The trek looks tidy and is a lot newer, the Orange from my research would have cost around a grand new so my thoughts were it should be a decent spec. But I don't know how qaulity translates over the years at the price ranges we are looking at.

Trek caliber 7

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/trek-x-caliber-7-mountain-bike-2014-29er-blackred/1295709260

Orange evo4

https://www.gumtree.com/p/for-sale/orange-evo-4-limited-edition-rare/1298652718

Any feedback would be great

Cheers

Last edited by bacon on 22:31 - 14 May 2018; edited 1 time in total

MahatmaAndhi
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:55 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think I'm going to be much help here. I've no familiarity with either model.
Both are good brands and around a similar size frame. I have two MTBs, a 17" and an 18". I'm 6' tall, but I have quite short legs (29") and both seem quite fine to me.
The Trek has 29" wheels, whereas the Orange looks like it has 26".
29" is en vogue. I'm not overly sure on the difference between the two, but from memory, 29 rolls over things easier, but 26 is quicker to accelerate (someone will no doubt correct me if I am wrong).

What I would be looking at is the groupset which can probably done by googling each model and matching the specific year with image search (or by asking the seller) and whether they have mechanical or hydraulic brakes.
Based on what I can see now with no research, I'd say the Trek is the better buy.

Edit: I take it back. The Orange looks to have Deora XT and LX components, which is much better than the Acera and Altus on the Trek. I reckon the fork is better on the Orange and the frame would be lighter too. I'm completely changing my opinion based on a very quick Google search which brought up this:

Model: Orange Evo 4
Frame size: 17"
Tubeset : Series 14 Custom Butted 6061-T6 Aluminium
Fork: Manitou Splice COMP D/O
Rear mech: XT
Front mech: LX
Shifters: Deore
Chainset: Shimano Deore 460 Hollowtech
Brakes & Levers: Hayes FX9XC
Hubs: Shimano Deore 475 Disc
Rims: Sun Ringle CR18
Spokes: Stainless DB Comp Black
Headset: WTB Comp
Stem: 9 bolt3d forged
Handlebars: Supercross
Seat: SDG Bel Air

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 20:44 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd have the orange as long as it isn't fucked.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:38 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers for the quick replies, we went to look at the Orange earlier and took it home. He got it for £190.

Looks to be in decent nick considering its age, few scratches, I had to adjust the head bearings as they had some excess play and gave the chain/sprockets/cassette an oil, aside that it looks rather good.

I only have a cheapy Carerra Vulcan I bought back in 2012, but I'll go out with him and see if I can reignite the push bike flame! Back when I was a teenager I had a DMR sidekick with DMR cranks, pedals etc, marzocchi z1 forks, hope big uns, hope c2 hydraulic calipers and discs etc, good little slalom/jump bike!

Those were the days!!

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:08 - 14 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Should be a very capable bike. You should throw it down some single trackers, I doubt it'll disappoint.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 319 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Cycling Forum All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1