Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

decent waterproof gloves?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

jpno5
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 19:27 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: decent waterproof gloves? Reply with quote

Any recommendations for decent waterproof gloves?

I'm looking for a pair to last til the end of the year. Live in scotland so ones that are gonna keep my hands nice and warm Rolling Eyes in the rain!

Are waterproof gloves even a thing? Every pair i've tried after an hour of riding in the rain they're soaked though.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:40 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave up on waterproof gloves years ago. I wear racing gloves and use water proof handlebar muffs instead.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

el_oso
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:47 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

My cheap Rukka's are completely waterproof. They are quite warm for summer though, but maybe not for a Scottish summer.

I tend to have tucano urbano muffs fitted though, so I've been using my Furygan summer ventilated gloves and have had no issues with leakage.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:54 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using BMW atlantis gloves. Pretty warm (not the warmest I've had but warm enough). Double cuff means they are properly waterproof. Bit of a PITA to put on.

rhun
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 19:55 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spend a few quid and get some gore tex ones. I'm currently wearing the BMW Winter pro 2s and they don't let any water in and have kept my hands warm down to 1 degree temps.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:16 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some Alpinestar gp summer ventilated gloves here all year around on the Deauville, on my Honda I have heated grips and a set of Tucano muffs.

Even when it was -3C this winter and I rode in to work my hands were burning by the time I got half way to work, had to turn the grips down to low Thumbs Up also completely waterproof.

When riding my other bike the gloves I have at my disposal are a brand new set of Richa Arctics and a set of HG gloves. The Richas got a Ride best buy so I gave them a go. Wore them once or twice last year and they are so stiff I can't bare to wear them. I will have to wear them in a bit and I'm sure they will become less cumbersome. Supposed to be decent in the cold and wet though.

I also have a set of Hein Gericke 5 finger pantheon gloves? Think that's what are called from memory, my fingers get cold within about 5-10 mins on the motorway when it's cold (under 5C or so at a guess) out but at least I can feel what's going on through them. They crash well though on another note, 30mph spill after locking up front brakes, hands went down first before I rolled for quite a way. No tears, some abrasion on the palm but all good. They do let water in on long rides though.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:19 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As recommended by a certain Bastard on here - Spada Enforcer WP. By fuck they work, also warm, but bulky. They've seen me through two winters now, and I can trash gloves. Not the cheapest, but rain, even Welsh rain, is no issue.

If it's *really* cold, chuck on a pair of silks underneath.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 20:30 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rukka gloves, and their kit in general.

Nothing comes close that i have found.

I own the Apollo and R-star. Both are totally waterproof, the apollos are incredibly comfortable and the Rstars have some great features like the dual heat inner, you can choose to have you hand inside the insulation, or have it doubled up on the outside of the hand and have better feel of the controls. This is especially amazing with heated grips.
Its like having muffs, without all the hassle that comes with them.

As a cheap option. Sparda water proof gloves are usually excellent .
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Redundant). Unhide this post / all posts.

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:02 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bodyform wrote:
...sperg...

You still have that raging hard-on for me. Go have a wank, calm your self down. Think of me if you like, might help you get it up in the first place.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:59 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Goretex or Shelltex are waterproof.

Water gets in through the hole you put your hand in.
Cover that hole with the sleeve of yer jaikit so rain can't run down into your 'waterproof' glove

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:27 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Goretex

I have to credit Bodytard with linking to some £24[*] short GORE-TEX® gloves several years back that to my surprise did actually seem to be fully waterproof. Not warm, not armoured, but they never let a drop through until I dropped them on the street late last year and some ned had them away by the time I'd turned around.

Keep an eye out for summer bargains and an actual GORE-TEX® label.

[*] These, but in human size, and cheaper.

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

So is Scotland, for weather, like London is for bike theft -- in that it's worse than everywhere else?

I'm interested to know what mileage people are putting on their gloves, at what speeds they ride and for how long they ride before they give up.

I use RST Blade WP (the original not the newly released 2's) and they haven't ever leaked a tad. If I was going to buy another glove I might go Rukka but I wouldn't hesitate in buying the new Blade (2's) WP.

Interesting this is even a thing, never had a problem here.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:07 - 09 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've used HG race glove for years as summer glove. No problem until I lost one of them. Guys give me funny looks at the gowfe now.

I use an Alpine Star Gore-Tex glove as winter/shite summer glove.

Had those since 2008. Three bikes. Fcuk knows how many miles. All weathers. Eventually extreme cold will beat most gloves. Heated grips work and wearing layered sleeves helps keep heat in your arms.

I am now looking at Rukka Apollo for my new glove as the auld Alpine Stars are now falling apart. Stitching worn on fingers.

I cake the predictable Ted on my fuckin phone by the way. 😠

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 03:49 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought some Alpine Star Goretex gloves when it looked like the weather would never improve.

The first time I tried them on a cold morning, I stalled the Brutale pulling away and did drop it slowly onto the crash bung. No damage other than a lightly scratched crash bung and mildly bent brake lever. I have never since used those gloves with the Brutale.

So my lesson is watch out with padded winter gloves - the loss of feel is real and has risks!

Muffs feel a bit weird too (mind they don't foul brakes or throttle return) but at least you can use summer gloves in them.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 04:49 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:
I bought some Alpine Star Goretex gloves when it looked like the weather would never improve.

The first time I tried them on a cold morning, I stalled the Brutale pulling away and did drop it slowly onto the crash bung. No damage other than a lightly scratched crash bung and mildly bent brake lever. I have never since used those gloves with the Brutale.

So my lesson is watch out with padded winter gloves - the loss of feel is real and has risks!

Muffs feel a bit weird too (mind they don't foul brakes or throttle return) but at least you can use summer gloves in them.

Was it the Men's Alpine Star gloves you got?

Razz

asta1
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 05:34 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use, and can recommend, these: https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/236887

I've had mine since late 2015ish and they're the only bike gloves I have. They do as the name suggests really. Totally waterproof and windproof in my experience (longest wet rides are only an hour or so of motorway admittedly) and good for anything between 3 and 25 degrees temperature wise. Much below that they do get a bit cold (my bike is unfaired and I have no muffs), and anything above 25 they get sweaty at low speed, but as a pair of do anything, year round gloves for the UK? 10/10 in my book. Protection, fit and feel is good as well.

I didn't pay that price, mind.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 08:36 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had these for three years.

https://www.visordown.com/features/products/richa-cold-protect-gtx

They've been used nearly every day, and they're still fully waterproof.

However, not unsurprisingly, they are too warm in the summer Smile

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:49 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Powderhead wrote:
I've had these for three years.

https://www.visordown.com/features/products/richa-cold-protect-gtx

They've been used nearly every day, and they're still fully waterproof.

However, not unsurprisingly, they are too warm in the summer Smile

Richa cold protect in use here too, about 3 mth in and do not leak.
Quite bulky at first but wear in well, and are warm enough for 30 mins of 2 deg C commuting in heavy rain.

Cuffs long enough to go outside my jacket, but also adjust to go inside the jacket sleeve when required. Goretex, so breathable, but will change to thinner if we ever see another summer.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 11:39 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

NJD wrote:
So is Scotland, for weather, like London is for bike theft -- in that it's worse than everywhere else?

I'm interested to know what mileage people are putting on their gloves, at what speeds they ride and for how long they ride before they give up.

might go Rukka but I wouldn't hesitate in buying the new Blade (2's) WP.

I live on the NW coast, ride every day all year regular storms ect never seems to stop raining. I would say about 60% of my mileage is in shit weather.

Rukka Apollos 16K mixed weather mileage used April to November for 3 years. Generally average 80 mph over a ride in decent conditions. 5/7 hours a ride and hands are fine for another 6.
THE most comfortable gloves i have ridden in, i forget i am wearing them after a few mins. The liner and goretex is all bonded so the glove has the feel of a single skin race glove. The leather is very supple and the knuckle protector seems to be padded with memory foam.
Since buying them i sold my alpinestars, RST blades and knox Handroids as i dont need a full on track gauntlet.

Rukka R star. Bought last year as i needed something warmer than the apollos for the coldest months of the year.
Worn for 3000 miles over winter, ridden in conditions down to -5 indicated at 60 mph.
Average speed over winter 50/70. Only needed the to turn on the heated grips a few times, grips on low setting hands in the "feel" side with doubled up insulation on the outside.
Felt like riding in a summer glove tbh, no loss of control. I dont think i can go back the normal style of winter glove after buying these as i cant feel the controls in them.

Put it this way, their gloves are that good it convinced me to spend the money and buy a full touring suit which i always thought was over priced in the past.
£1200 later, money well spent imo. Totally water and windproof. Awesome quality and all day wear comfy. Expensive, but well worth the cost imo.

Another point, they have a no quibble warranty, i broke the plastic loop on my glove (stupid mistake, had it resting near edge of my big givi metal top box and wind slapped the lid on it.) They just replaced the gloves with a new pair.

IMO, if you can afford Rukka, go Rukka. Just make sure to buy or at least try on one size up as imo they are ever so slightly on the small side.
Size 10 Rukkas fit me like a second skin.

Fireclown
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 23:45 - 10 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been wearing these - https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/222787[/url] - for a couple of years - they still look new and keep my hands pretty cozy - although fingertips begin getting a little cold on frosty mornings towards the end of a half-hour commute. Hands have never gotten wet during that time. Best gloves I've had IMHO.

[edit] - just noticed they have been discontinued - assume there is an equivalent replacement in the range.

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:16 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another vote for Richa Cold Protect very warm glove that are definitely waterproof, I did the bucket test to prove it to myself. Five minutes in a bucket of water up to my wrists, hands warm and dry.

Confusion
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:15 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: decent waterproof gloves? Reply with quote

jpno5 wrote:
Any recommendations for decent waterproof gloves?

If you want guaranteed waterproof, get a pair with a Gore membrane.

Quote:
I'm looking for a pair to last til the end of the year.

Decent waterproof gloves are around £100. At that price, you should
expect them to last several years.

Quote:
Live in scotland so ones that are gonna keep my hands nice and warm Rolling Eyes in the rain!

I have Richa Cold Protect gloves. They have never leaked, not even when
I brought them to Scotland. At 4.5 years old, they are still in perfect
condition.

Pro:
Waterproof, warm, durable. Reasonably comfortable in warm
weather (not sticky).

Con:
No rubber wiper for my visor. (maybe I need a RainPal?)
Like other winter gloves, they are a bit bulky.

Quote:
Are waterproof gloves even a thing?

The Richa gloves above and my Held Season Gore-Tex
gloves are absolutely waterproof. They have been tested
in extreme conditions many times. They also pass the bucket
test without leaking.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:27 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big love for the Richa Cold Protect GTX in this thread Smile
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 7 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2