Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Puncture Repair Kits, Under £30

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Puncture Repair Kits, Under £30 Reply with quote

With my birthday looming, i am being asked by all and sundry what i want, so trying to find a few ideas around the £20-30 mark, and one thought would be a puncture repair kit for the bike.........soooooo, what is the recommended repair kit to go for for under £30, as there seems to be be many different types on the market

Oh, and would ideally included a couple of gas bottles to re-inflate the tyre too

There seems to be plenty on eBay, but unsure hat the quality will be like

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:52 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an almost exact replica of this under my seat.

https://motorcycleparts-uk.co.uk/gear-gremlin-puncture-repair-kit?language=en¤cy=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiejH8dCx2gIV4bvtCh2HLwnpEAQYAyABEgKew_D_BwE

I've fixed my tyres 3 times with it. The 3 C02 cans aren't enough though.

A few other riders like the cargol turn and go. But inspecting it... it's a set of wood screws Very Happy
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:07 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's a bit of a mine field, looked at those turn & go ones, but like you say, it's just a plastic screw that you snap the head off

Was looking at that kit actually on Sportbikeshop, i'll stick that on the shortlist, cheers

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:27 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rema-Tip-Top-Emergency-Tyre-Repair-Kit-Quick-Easy-Repair-Made-In-Germany-TT651/182279384358?epid=26017010836&hash=item2a70b2ad26:g:sL0AAOSw56NaLTQJ

Got these, as recommended by the RAC fella that turned up with a similar Rema kit to fix a puncture on the car. I'd use that on the bike no problem, and only £12 delivered. The gas canisters in most kits are wank - not enough air at all. Better off just pulling over in a petrol station and fixing it there.

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:45 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I carry a small airman pump in my bag when I'm on the bike, and have successfully used rema tip top repair plugs. The CO2 cartridges are not enough for a proper inflation.
I've posted about the rema plugs before - one of the key things is to get them warm before stretching them for insertion. I stick the little foil packet under my armpit while I ream out the hole ready for repair. The rubber then stretches and I've never had one tear up. Last time I used one it lasted 3000 miles to the end of the tyres tread.

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Rema-Tip-Top-Emergency-Tyre-Repair-Kit-Quick-Easy-Repair-Made-In-Germany-TT651/182279384358?epid=26017010836&hash=item2a70b2ad26:g:sL0AAOSw56NaLTQJ

Got these, as recommended by the RAC fella that turned up with a similar Rema kit to fix a puncture on the car. I'd use that on the bike no problem, and only £12 delivered. The gas canisters in most kits are wank - not enough air at all. Better off just pulling over in a petrol station and fixing it there.

I have seen a few of these kits on eBay, but how do they actually work, i can't work them out

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:05 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's similar to the string idea, you make the hole a bit bigger then pull the squishy loop thing half through.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

doggone wrote:
It's similar to the string idea, you make the hole a bit bigger then pull the squishy loop thing half through.

Ahh right, i think i get it

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:42 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
The 3 C02 cans aren't enough though.

I read on a BMW GS forum about folk complaining that the soda siphon cartridges wont inflate a tire properly.

The reason for this is simple arithmetic, physics and some Boyle's Law equations.

The tire has a relatively large volume when compared to a vessel with a relatively tiny volume is used to fill the larger volume.

Unless you do the maths.

Probably need about ten or more cartridges to fill a 125 front tyre to something like correct pressure.

The principle of the co2 cartridges is to fill the tyre with enough gas to let you limp to a place to top up the air.

Limp as in something under 30mph. As low pressure will cause heat in the tyre.

I have a kit in one of my bikes but I really prefer to inject a sealant into new tyres and avoid punctures ruining my parade.

***MCN runs for cover from the in-coming barrage from the 'We don't use sealant coz... Light Bigade'.***

Edit: Puncturesafe will be about £20 odd to fill two tyre s on a bike with some left over for Blue-Coloured Party Drinks.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=puncturesafe&tag=hydrukspg-21&index=aps&hvadid=155842437555&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=10105539266390087287&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=b&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=2826&hvlocphy=1009807&hvtargid=kwd-3427977226&ref=pd_sl_9ceh9ptq7k_b

raesewell
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 11:10 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have covered 70 odd thousand miles using Puncturesafe and the only flat tyre I ever had was a slit in the sidewall which Puncturesafe doesn't claim to prevent. I do also carry a puncture repair kit but have never had to use it.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:31 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:
I have an almost exact replica of this under my seat.

https://motorcycleparts-uk.co.uk/gear-gremlin-puncture-repair-kit?language=en¤cy=GBP&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIiejH8dCx2gIV4bvtCh2HLwnpEAQYAyABEgKew_D_BwE

I've fixed my tyres 3 times with it. The 3 C02 cans aren't enough though.

A few other riders like the cargol turn and go. But inspecting it... it's a set of wood screws Very Happy

I have one almost exactly the same, it has saved the day on a couple of occasions. Well worth it.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:41 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only one decent puncture repair kit out there.

https://www.mandp.co.uk/stop-and-go-standard-tyre-plugger-tool.html

Okay it's £35... but it's worth every penny.

There is a cheaper version at £24..

NJD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:52 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recovery service (insurance or otherwise) and credit on a phone is the most reliable.

Dis one is what I carry around. Never used it and in reality I'd either ride as far towards home as I could before doing some damage or phone for recovery and do repairs at home with time and calmness on my side.

I have all these small things, including a cable repair kit, that I carry around but I doubt if I took the kitchen sink I'd be satisfied and the best bit is I've, on the Kwak at least, never had to use them once on the move.

Saying that, though, the above is more based on commuting and based upon my recent jaunt on a social dry day it's an easy get out of jail option to limp to nearest petrol station if worst does occur while blasting around in the countryside etc.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:18 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Recovery service (insurance or otherwise) and credit on a phone is the most reliable.

Wait 3 hours and miss your appointment/work or whatever you intended to do? nope. With a basic kit, almost all punctures can be done in a couple minutes.

https://stores.ebay.co.uk/Tyre-Consumables/Tyre-Repair-Kits-/_i.html?_fsub=18019925011&_sid=165908391
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161780262493

Dont waste time with C02, the bottles are too small.

A small 12v car tyre pump will fit nicely under seat if you remove the massive plastic casing. 12 quid Ring automotive branded one from wilko is significant better than the cheaper ones. Takes very little space - fits under the cbr6f banana seat.
None of them are permanent and they all have good reviews. I prefer the rubber repair strings. I think the head on the stop and go plug is too small. RAC fitted a rema one when I was without my air pump.

Remove tire do it properly..
www.ebay.co.uk/itm/131606374256 www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161664943624

rpsmith79
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:34 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers guys, plenty of food for thought

But a bit like NJD, i'd rather have a puncture repair kit and not need to use it, than have a puncture and have no way to repair it

I'll probably go with the Rema kit, as it looks like the best value one, and spares are quite cheap too

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:57 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a bit dubious of the 'silly string' version of those kits but after fitting them in punctures in both my wifes and my own car tyre and driving round on them since with no problem, I have to say I'm impressed.

I haven't fitted them on a bike but I would give it a go without worrying too much.

The consensus for the best of all seems to be the mushroom type kits for a bike though.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:27 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I was a bit dubious of the 'silly string' version of those kits but after fitting them in punctures in both my wifes and my own car tyre and driving round on them since with no problem, I have to say I'm impressed.

I haven't fitted them on a bike but I would give it a go without worrying too much.

The consensus for the best of all seems to be the mushroom type kits for a bike though.

Tyre Industry types and I think The National Association of Tiring People (https://btmauk.com/) usually bleat about these repairs and say that thay are only a temporary solution and to have the tyre inspected and professionally repaired ASAP.

I have plugged many hundreds of tyres and ran to the wires and not visited any professional tyre guys. And no kittens were harmed in the process.

And a great way to start a fite is to discuss tyre sealant (Puncturesafe et al.) in a tyre fitter shop. Shocked
They say that patches won't stick to a tyre that has had sealant in it.
It is a redundant argument as the sealant will permanently repair the tire so why patch?

doggone
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your style tends to get tyres almost smoking, the string might not be long term solution. For normal riding it should be fine until the tyre is about done anyway.
That's with a typical small nail hole type puncture - in the main treads. Anything more slit-like, through at an angle or up the side might be pushing things for any repair.
They might still get you home or to a tyre shop.

I had a Bandit 1200 for about three years which for some reason had more punctures than all my bikes before or since put together.
I started to think something about the wheelbase or geometry meant sharp objects were somehow flicked up by the front and hit the back tyre, tending to be spikey side up?
Maybe wider tyres are more vulnerable than narrower tyres on older bikes, and tyre compounds now are a bit softer and more sticky.

Roads do seem to be more littered with debris - more traffic, more carelessness and less if any sweeping.
Try to avoid dead areas where most wheels don't go, near traffic islands and such like.
Industrial estates and areas with bins put out are high risk.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:31 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As the tread wears stuff that is able to puncture a tyre can reach through the tyre and let the air out.

New tyres will resist this sort of damage as the thicker tread can accommodate the injury without leaking air.

Punctures are a rare occurrence for me.

Maybe I am lucky.

Which reminds me, I need two hoops for my bike before the PoPo puncture a hole in my bank account. Shocked

Aceslock
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:24 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:

I have the cheaper version & it fits snugly under my pillion seat on my ZX6R.

I have used it a coouple of times, however i found the air still leaked out very very slowly........ but if you leave it too long before you pump it back up it goes flat as a pankake. After 3 attempts at repairing the same hole, i found that smearing it with a bit of silicone sealant done the trick. I have done around 2k since and have had no issues. Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:28 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had two string type plugs fail; one I installed myself failed on the motorway after a couple of thousand miles, while another installed by a tyre fitter when they didn't have my tyre in stock failed after a mile or two.

I've had 10 or so string type repairs last the length of the tyre. The past three punctures or so, after the bad experiences, I've completely replaced the tyre, particularly since it's the Brutale and who knows how fast I'll be going should it blow.

I average about 4 punctures a year currently on my commute. I save loads of time - probably in excess of an hour a day - by riding in the central hatched area, but the road has a lot of industrial traffic and the hatched area does acquire a lot of crap. It's a tradeoff, but it's worth it.

I have a choice of two tyre fitters on my way to work should I notice a problem in time. I've considered keeping a repair kit including 12v pump in the office for slower punctures, and after this thread, I'm going to do it.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:30 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your a plagued by puncture then you may be better off using a sealant.

https://www.puncturesafe.com/puncturesafe-technical.php

I would not be arsed looking for tyre repairers just to get to work everyday on a bike.

We used this stuff on our site ambulance, bullion car and the MD's Shooting Brake.
We eventually put it in our maintenance cars and crew change cars.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:25 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aceslock wrote:
Courier265 wrote:

I have the cheaper version & it fits snugly under my pillion seat on my ZX6R.

I have used it a coouple of times, however i found the air still leaked out very very slowly........ but if you leave it too long before you pump it back up it goes flat as a pankake. After 3 attempts at repairing the same hole, i found that smearing it with a bit of silicone sealant done the trick. I have done around 2k since and have had no issues. Thumbs Up

With my version, got two punctures in my Rear on my CBF500, both close to the edge of the tyre, no leaks at all. In fact most of my repairs have resulted in no leaks. The only failure I had was the old rear tyre of my CBF, it was a "piece of metal" which went in sideways and after 3 attempts I gave up, the tyre was due for replacement so it didn't matter and I managed to get it to the shop. (with my footpump in the top box just in case)

Pete.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:35 - 12 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kris wrote:

Standard issue on my bike, there's a purpose-made compartment under the seat to hold it. Got me right out of the doo-doo a couple of times.

The three canisters will put enough air in the tyre to let you ride to a garage/filling station to use the air pump.

132.9mph off and walked away. Gear is good, gear is good, gear is very very good Very Happy

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:34 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://s20.postimg.cc/ugildlivh/IMG_20180413_082749.jpg

Modified compressor under seat. Ziptied a sealant tube to protect the fan, and a bit of alu sheet shaped to protect the gears/crank. It works very well.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 11 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2