Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

New tyres? Suspension service? Both?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:54 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: New tyres? Suspension service? Both? Reply with quote

Bike has a drifting feel when cornering right especially pronounced on slower turns like a roundabout. Also rear suspension feels soft when exiting a turn and putting the power on.

Tyres are 6k miles around town nostly and im wondering if they are unevenly worn due to camber.

If the suspension needs servicing how much hassle is it and any recommendations on where to send the shocks. Bikes done 20k miles.

Cheers [/code]

chris-red
Have you considered a TDM?

PostPosted: 12:04 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What bike? Does the rear have any adjustment?

I'd do tires and fork oil. Fork oil is a Piece of piss if you are already removing the front wheel.

For my TDM I'd have to undo 12 extra bolts and then the fork caps.

Loosen the caps before undoing the pinch bolts, remove the forks, undo the caps, upend to drain then refill. It add maybe an hour tops to getting the wheel off for a tyre change.

I periodically change mine as I really do feel a difference.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:26 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris-red wrote:

Its a Yamaha XJ6. Just spring adjustment on the rear no adjustment on the front.

Id thought about servicing the front myself but although it seems easy enough if messy im thinking I'd try first on some other forks from a breaker as practice.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:31 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ribenapigeon wrote:
chris-red wrote:

Its a Yamaha XJ6. Just spring adjustment on the rear no adjustment on the front.

Id thought about servicing the front myself but although it seems easy enough if messy im thinking I'd try first on some other forks from a breaker as practice.

It's really not hard unscrew the cap upend in the fork, pump it and few times, then refill.

chris-red

PostPosted: 13:35 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want practice, buy a bottle of drink, pour it away, then refill with the same amount of liquid.

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 14:01 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not replace tyres first, see if the bike is restored to original handling condition, and then if not start considering suspension servicing? If you look at the bike and can see the tyres are dodgy, and the handling is noticeably dodgy, why would you start poking about with the suspension until you've replaced the dodgy thing?

First rule of troubleshooting is try one thing at a time, otherwise you'll never know what fixed the problem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fizzer Thou
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:13 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whilst I partly agree with Marjay,Chris-Red's comment about replacing the fork oil at the same time is worthy of consideration.

Not too long ago I replaced both tyres on a friends MT-07 and although the new rubber helped,the front still felt vague.So once again the front had to be suspended and the front wheel removed so as to get to the forks.Once that had been done it made a big difference.

I replaced the fork oil in my R1 forks,not because the seals needed replacing,but because rear shock had been replaced and I had bought new Ohlins fork springs.The bike felt unbalanced before but so much better once front and rear had been set up.The oil that came out of the forks was the original stuff and was like water,even after 3,000 miles.

To the OP,if the manual suggests 10w oil,contemplate mixing a 500ml bottle of 10w and a bottle of 15w to give you 12.5w Thumbs Up

Always have a 'Plan B'

A100man
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:49 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tyre pressures correct?

Then: Fizz, RS200, KL250, XJ550, Laverda Alpina, XJ600, FZS600

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A100man wrote:
Tyre pressures correct?

Yes. And I tightened the chain and made sure the rear wheel was tracking straight.

Im thinking if changing the fork oil then may as well do a total strip down and service. It looks a messy but largely straightforward job. Hence the thought of practice on a junk front suspension first. Just tipping out the old oil and pouring in new seems a bit half-arsed and a waste of time if the legs are going to be removed anyway.

Courier265
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:44 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with MarJay on this.... Tyres first, preferably both at the same time, that should give you a clue.

Ribenapigeon
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:50 - 11 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Courier265 wrote:
I'm with MarJay on this.... Tyres first, preferably both at the same time, that should give you a clue.

Tbing is the tyres are ok in the dry even with the drift feeling but awful in the wet.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 9 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1