Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Modeling guitar amps/combos, any good?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone
View previous topic : View next topic  

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:18 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Modeling guitar amps/combos, any good? Reply with quote

The title of this thread pretty much says it all.

My MG15 died (I could fix it, but why bother) and I was using a micro BR with my stereo speakers for awhile now and it's quite crap, as expected. I decided to look for a new guitar combo, that would be reasonable for home use only and stuffed with some modern technologies as well. Also, after using the micro BR as my only means of guitar amplification, I realised I don't like stomp boxes anymore, as changing anything is a hassle, compared to a quick button action and a bank of 100+ setups.

Yes, I do realise, that emulation and digital processing isn't as cool as the real thing, but I'd say it's alright for home use and the convenience of it.

So, what's cool these days?

Last edited by RhynoCZ on 19:21 - 13 Apr 2018; edited 1 time in total

Triton Thrasher
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 19:21 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valves.

RhynoCZ
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:26 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I always wanted a tube amp, but then I had a chance to play one and I kind of didn't see the point. I see it more as a matter of preference rather than one being better than the other. Well, transistor amps are much cheaper and much, much more durable.

*Purists and audiophiles are going mental in 3, 2, 1 ....

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:13 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fender Mustang v2 is feature packed.

I've played through one and it was ok for low volume play.
As with any 8" guitar amp speaker it can't quite replicate the deep sounds and feedback squeals associated with heavy rock but it's got phones out so attach some decent cans and it's all-reet.

Personal opinion; if you love playing guitar get a good head get a 2x12 cab and get a few good pedals. Modern valve amps are fitted with powersoaks/attenuators so you can have the feeling of a driven amp at television volumes. They'll have fx loops so you can tailor the amount of reverb for example. It'll have auto switch impedance so you can use it with other cabinets with a different impedance.

I reckon with patience you could get a micro head a 12" cab and a couple of pedals for a little bit more on that there auction site or Reverb dot com.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:22 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boss Katana is the current best one if you want modelling/digital.
Marshall Code is pretty good too, with more options but takes a bit of work to get sounding good.

Another good one is the Yamaha THR10.

Valves are good, but sound best when cranked. Even a 1w valve amp can be very loud for home use. I gig regularly with a 25w valve head through a 4x12 cab and its plenty loud...

So yeah, check out the Katana.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:12 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

neatbik wrote:
I gig regularly with a 25w valve head through a 4x12 cab and its plenty loud...

A little off-topic, but I used to gig with a 350W hybrid head through a 4x12, and it was biblically loud. At full chat it would cave your chest in.

The volume knob went from zero to a scary "oh my God turn it down immediately" in millimetres Laughing

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marshall mode 4?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 19:57 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The problem (or not) with modelling amps is they are converting analogue to digital and therefore make guitars just sound the same.

Awesome if you have a cheap guitar, I moved from a Ibanez RG350 to an Ibanez Jem and they sounded the same through the Line 6 I had. It had to go and I got a Hughes and kettner valve amp.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:27 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

dodsi wrote:
The problem (or not) with modelling amps is they are converting analogue to digital and therefore make guitars just sound the same.

Kemper?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

dodsi
Dirty Carny

PostPosted: 22:05 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
dodsi wrote:

Kemper?

I was more referring to line 6 et al.

Kemper, as you are elluding is a slightly different kettle of fish.

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:31 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheaper/older Line 6 stuff (and similar) yes i totally agree.
The newer Helix range though is very very good though, and no probs with guitars all sounding samey. It's also very close in feel to playing through a good valve amp, although not quite 100% yet.

But at £700+ you would hope so...

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 13:21 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

neatbik wrote:
Marshall mode 4?

Aye Thumbs Up

It was actually a horrible amp - I wish I'd never bought it. Still, tone aside, it was certainly the loudest amp I've played through.

neatbik
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:20 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah they weren't the best to be honest. But yeah damn loud.

Trouble is these days a lot of venues have decibel meters that cut the power if you go above it so the days of winding up 100w+ amps is well and truly over.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 07:33 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just seen you're in Worcs. I lived in Malvern for a while... I wonder if we've ever played the same shows? Thinking

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 15:42 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's just effect stuff you want, Peavey vypyr was my go to. I have a line 6. I'd not recommend a line 6.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:49 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

neatbik wrote:
Yeah they weren't the best to be honest. But yeah damn loud.

Trouble is these days a lot of venues have decibel meters that cut the power if you go above it so the days of winding up 100w+ amps is well and truly over.

They had to fuck around with mics on my 6505 and 412 when I played a large venue as me cranking (I'd not consider a hot plate and 4 pre gain cranking tbf) was causing odd issues Laughing

Oh I miss being young and touring around like a cabbage with an amp and guitar setup.in a Supra Laughing

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:55 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Oh I miss being young and touring around like a cabbage with an amp and guitar setup.in a Supra Laughing

Ditto, except mine was a Fiat Brava.

If I could have hit the pause button on life back then, I would have.

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:18 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a fender mustang (120w) version, its probably the best amp I've owned but I don't play often. Get some great sound from it but can only crank the master to about 1/4 volume without causing ear damage in the room it's in

Shinigami
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:20 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
If it's just effect stuff you want, Peavey vypyr was my go to. I have a line 6. I'd not recommend a line 6.

line 6 amps in my experience are dog shit.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 20:30 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shinigami wrote:
line 6 amps in my experience are dog shit.

+1, I'd avoid their amps. The Pods are quite good for home studio use though.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:45 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed. I have a Spider 4 for home use, it's purely used on clean with zero effects and fed via the PC and modelling software on there. I'd not consider using it for effects Laughing

I'm a gain, distortion, delay and chorus whore, so I just use software to do that Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 340 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Geek Zone All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1