Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

HADEC 3 and Average speed camera. M62

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

AHD
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 07:08 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: HADEC 3 and Average speed camera. M62 Reply with quote

Hi All new to forum.

I was on my bike last night on the M62 and was nearly taken off. I was being tail gated for a while by a van for some time. I kept filtering and making him the person infront of me’s problem. I was then in the outside line on the motorway and a Van took the gap to the right of me (in command position and the central reservation), I had to take evasive manoeuvre as I truly believed he was going to knock me off deliberately. I tried to keep close enough to get his reg but that meant I was probably pushing my luck speed wise through the average speed camera and hadec 3 zone. So the question. Do forward facing cameras pinch us? And do HADEC 3 systems. I wasn’t being daft here. I was (am) still pretty shaken by it and just wanted his reg. Which I’ve got an it’s now with police.

Does anyone know of any biker who has been caught with HADEC 3 and/or average speed cameras?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:06 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: HADEC 3 and Average speed camera. M62 Reply with quote

AHD wrote:
it’s now with police.

How did they respond to your admission of driving without reasonable consideration for other persons using the road?

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:25 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todays healdlines, white van driver drives like twat...

Think about your behaviour prior to the incident. YOU could have prevented this situation ocurring by allowing faster following traffic to overtake.

So at the point where he was tailgating you. If someone is tailgating you on the motorway, you should almost certainly be at least one more lane to the left.

Instead you got red mist about being overtaken by a van and kept filtering away from him, then letting him catch up with you. I bet he was absolutely raging by the time he finally managed to get past you.

Another thing to consider.. If he's in a van and is willfully speeding through a camera controlled average speed zone, what do you think the chances of the van being registered in his name are?

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 18:42 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

Think about your behaviour prior to the incident. YOU could have prevented this situation ocurring by allowing faster following traffic to overtake.

So at the point where he was tailgating you. If someone is tailgating you on the motorway, you should almost certainly be at least one more lane to the left.

Good points. Except sometimes they follow you to the left too. Hell around the end of the month when they need to hit their quotas you get police cars pull up right behind you so you move left. They follow you even closer you move left again and they follow you again.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:30 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Itchy wrote:

Good points. Except sometimes they follow you to the left too. Hell around the end of the month when they need to hit their quotas you get police cars pull up right behind you so you move left. They follow you even closer you move left again and they follow you again.

The solution to that is to sit up and let go of the throttle until you either stop or they pull past. I've done it before and never had them fail to pull past eventually. If I did land up stopping (I'd pull over onto the hard shoulder if on a motorway). I am fully ready to tell them I was obeying the instructions in the highway code for what to do when being tailgated.

I have also in the past pulled off at the next junction and re-joined behind them. Fully prepared if they follow me up to either stop at the "motorway ends" sign and force the issue (stop of GTFO) or (as I did one time) take them on a random tour of the suburbs and housing estates of Southern Penrith with textbook "test style" riding. They got bored before I did.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:56 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
I am fully ready to tell them I was obeying the instructions in the highway code for what to do when being tailgated.

For those playing along at home: [You should] "not allow yourself to become agitated or involved if someone is behaving badly on the road. This will only make the situation worse. Pull over, calm down and, when you feel relaxed, continue your journey".

I can't see any specific advice about slowing down while being tailgated, mind.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 13:42 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

I can't see any specific advice about slowing down while being tailgated, mind.

Interesting. I thought there was a bit about slowing down to increase the gap and allow the following vehicle to overtake if possible. They certainly ask questions on it in the theory test. Can't find anything either though.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:24 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was surprised too, as it's the received wisdom, but I can't find it.

My theory test had plenty of questions that weren't from the Highway Code - it doesn't mention the environmental benefits of trams, for one thing. Rolling Eyes

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:33 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The inherrent problem with the M62 (and the current 30 limit on the M621) is at buisy times every lane is a tailgate queue. It's an arse on sliproads onto the buisy sections as there's often an insufficient gap for joining traffic.

From what I recall all the speed cameras through the leeds/bradford section capture the front of vehicles. But there are CCTV monitoring cameras that may be used to cross reference unidentifiable vehicles.

It used to be the case that 10% +2mph was the threashold, but I think that has gone out of the window. There's certainly enough talk in south yorkshire about the M1 being zero tolerence.

Generous threasholds don't seem to apply in south yorkshire any more. I had an entertaining and expensive afternoon of realising just how many motorists don't know how to determine the speed limit in a national speed limit done after getting caught just over the brow of a hill doing a mighty 42 in a 40 by a scamra van that was buisy commiting a statutory and absolute offence of displaying flashing amber lights when not authorised to do so. Me? Angry much?

You'll know in 14 days whether you're going to win points, prizes or a fun training course.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1