BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Green-laning?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto
View previous topic : View next topic  

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 19:17 - 10 Sep 2004    Post subject: Green-laning? Reply with quote

i went green-laning with one of my mates today, found it VERY fun and exiting, especially going thru the trees, racing along side him.

i was jsut wondering weather green-laning is still legal, the place we went is on the outskirts of a small village, but u can still hear the bikes ripping down the dirt paths... can anyone tell me the law on this?

plus was looking to ger a 250 cc scrambler, but havent got any real ideas what bike to get, anything with massive ground clearance, and a realy wide fat back tyre as standard (my mates was like 5/6inch or something)

cheers in advance

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 19:25 - 10 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Green laning is still legal as long as you are on the right lanes, it's very difficult these days as they keep changing what you can and can't ride on, I suggest you read up about it on the internet as if your caught you can have your bike seized etc.

A scrambler is good etc, but not for green laning, you have to have a road legal bike in road legal condition (i.e meant to have legal tyres) and insurance etc to go green laning, so a scrambler won't be road legal (unless modified) so you can't take it green laning.

You need to buy an enduro really.

Robby
Dirty Old Man

PostPosted: 19:43 - 10 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

If your a beginner, don't get a 250. I had a crm250 which I took down a lane a couple of times. Fuck me it was lethal, far too much power for a beginner.

I assume your 16 now going by your sig. Just get a off road style 125 when you turn 17 (DT125, KMX125) and play on one of them.

For legality you need to be on private land with permission, or a bridleway. Not footpaths or private tracks without permission. Your bike has to be road legal also.

I believe standard insurance covers you for it - you are after all riding legally on a public highway.

Retro-Man
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 20:07 - 10 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

you can ask your local council office for a green lane map showing all current legal green lanes

they don't like
but they have to give it.....eventually

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 20:40 - 10 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that, about the 250 thing, ive been riding pretty much my hole life, biggest crosser ive rode is about 450, i couldnt realy handle that because of weight, but i find 250's light and quite sharp off the mark, but i can still keep them up, and no im not 16, im 14 Sad such a shame...

about the road legal stuff... a field with a dirt track running through it isnt classed as road it is? its like a big hill, with a small dirt track swaying around in it, hardly anyone goes there i dont think, as the track is quite hard to see.

whats the legal limmit for a road tyre? i thought you could have any size?

thanks for the reply's
palmer

Kickstart
The Oracle

PostPosted: 20:45 - 10 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi

If it is private property then you can ride there, with the owners permission. If it is a footpath or bridleway then you cannot ride there (except possibly where it is a right of way over someones field, and you have that persons permission). If it is a true green lane then legally it is a road, so you need everything that you would need to legally ride down any normal tarmaced road.

Wheel size you can have pretty much any size, but don't expect too large a tyre to work very well.

All the best

Keith

steve09
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 21:11 - 10 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

mate dont get a 250 crosser my dads got a |RM250 and im 16 and about 9 stone and i lifts me in first 2 gears if i gavce it some it would flip i have to use 3rd gear to start i dont use it much though im not too good with gears.
my mates got a KX125 thats awesome

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 21:18 - 10 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks kickstart, so if i have permission to ride on someones land, do i still need a road legal bike?

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 21:23 - 10 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

Palmerz, if you have permission to ride on land then you can do, worst comes to worse then the police will ask you to stop if someone complains, but technically they can't stop you if it's private land.

Your 14, you can't go green laning, please don't! It's bloody annoying that people ride green lanes illegally, the government are trying to ban it because people such as yourself.

Well done for trying to find out how to ride legally Thumbs Up just don't be tempted to ride illegally as they are allowed to take your bike away and probably crush it or something... plus farmers can sue you if you happen to stumble across their privately owned land Rolling Eyes and all the locals will start grumbling and eventually green laning will be out-lawed completely.

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 21:44 - 10 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

i read somewhere that there has to be a gardian with you, and there is a cc limitation , cant remember what exactly, anyone heard of this?

thanks for the post, i purposly asked about the law because i know how contraversial green laning is, i dont want to spoil it for others

Sparks!
Sir Tart-a-lot

PostPosted: 21:50 - 10 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

palmerz wrote:
i read somewhere that there has to be a gardian with you, and there is a cc limitation , cant remember what exactly, anyone heard of this?

thanks for the post, i purposly asked about the law because i know how contraversial green laning is, i dont want to spoil it for others

There is no cc law and you don't need a "guardian" as you have to have a full road licence to ride green lanes - just treat them as roads, all laws still apply, including speeding!

And use quiet cans for green laning, you don't need the extra power and the noise will just piss the other trail users off.

You should never really ride alone unless you've been doing it for ages and KNOW the trail your riding very well.. if you fall down a ditch or something or get stuck in a rut, which will happen almost every time you go out, then if your on your own your a bit stuck! Especially if you hurt yourself.

palmer
Fiddled Kiddy

PostPosted: 22:20 - 10 Sep 2004    Post subject: Reply with quote

damn, thanks you lot, not the things i wanted to hear, but thats the reason i asked on here first

ill just have to stick to my 14 acre garden Smile

thanks again
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 329 days between these two posts...

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:00 - 06 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, what's the bast way of finding out where the local green lanes are?

A couple of years ago i used the an OS map, but i think most of the details were out of date.

Herts, bucks beds area if anyone is local.

Korn
Admin

PostPosted: 12:25 - 06 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try your local TRF group, they will often have organised green lane rideouts you can go on: https://www.trf.org.uk/

Are you near the Chiltern Hills? There are absolutely tons of lanes there.

cagiva gezzer
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 06 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, just up the road from Wendover.

I've had a look at the trl site, but what i was just after was a list of grid references for green lanes. I'm not paying out £30 to join to be told where green lanes are and not like it and tbh my GPR70 shod 125 is hardly a hardcore green laner.... Smile

I'll contact the local council, or pop across to my local dirt bike shop to find out the deal around here.

knockout_bar
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 15:09 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this https://www.offroadroutes.net/Pages/map_routes.asp

"egg flied lice" - R6jonny (inspired by McGee) Thumbs Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Aikman666
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:36 - 10 Aug 2005    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been offroading for around a year now, and i'd reccomend it, its great fun Thumbs Up . Really as long as your bike isnt too loud, you wear protective gear, and you dont drive dangerously or annoy people then ive never been bothered. Ive taken my bike into wasteland, forests, and fields....even took it along the canal bank once (but that was unavoidable, and wasnt for long). I had heard all sorts of horror stories about the police patrolling the place, and would confiscate your bike apon sight, when i walked past a squad car (pushing my bike) they never gave me a second look....It was enough to fill my leathers though Laughing I thought i was nicked for sure
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 18 years, 253 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Offroad & Supermoto All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1