BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Buyer Beware.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Buyer Beware. Reply with quote

So, I purchased my ER6F a little while ago from Millenium Motorcycles. It's had two services up till now and everything appeared fine with the bike until fairly recently.

About a month ago the headlight fuse blew, I replaced it and never really thought much of it. Then a few weeks later it blew again. I did think it was a bit strange at the time but thought it was possibly a bad fuse .

Got a couple more which blew immediately, so with it being under warranty I booked it back in to millenium (their incorrect spelling, not mine btw) as I suspected it was either a loose wire or possibly a rectifier issue.

Anyway, I waited around whill the mechanic checked it over and when I saw him wheeling my bike back out I walked over to chat with him and see what the problem had been.

His first words to me were "have you had any work done on the bike?" With a rather concerned look on his face. Told him no work has been carried out as such, just two services and a new brake pedal.

He still had his concerned face on when he asked where I'd bought the bike from. From here I said and showed him my log book.

He then looked even more unhappy and explained to me that the wiring loom was not in the correct position and had been chaffing on the underside of the petrol tank and he could see marks on it where it had been arcing. Shocked He was obviously not a happy bunny that this had not been picked up on in the pre-delivery inspection checks.

Fair play to the mechanic for being straight up and from his demeanour, I think someone's in for a right bollocking.

Just thought I'd share the tale incase anyone's planning to buy a bike from them in future.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

Last edited by Dave70 on 09:28 - 14 Apr 2018; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:28 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do they have a lot of things like this reported then?

Are you being told that you will have to pay to have it rectified?
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:34 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rather suspect that no one will get bollocked at the dealer, as on a PDI, ime, you don't remove parts from the newly delivered bike to inspect things like the loom. Sounds like a factory problem to me.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:41 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Do they have a lot of things like this reported then?

Are you being told that you will have to pay to have it rectified?

They are fairly well known for their fuckwittery tbh but, that's usually the sales team (one or two are quite helpful though) another mechanic I spoke to when I was having issues with the R125 overheating talked out of his backside once and couldn't find the source of the problem.

They sorted the issue out on the ER6f under warranty.

My main concern is how potentially dangerous this seems and apart from signing the pre delivery checklist, did they actually perform it and if so, how did they miss it, as the mechanic I spoke to seemed to be suggesting it was quite blatantly obvious the loom was in the wrong place.

2012: R125 killed by white van. 2016 R125 killed by 30,000 miles of redline. Current: 2016 Kawasaki ER6f.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:45 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

But how would they have known the loom was in the wrong place? Did either of the services require removal of the fuel tank? I think I would be right in saying that the fuel tank would not be one of the parts that would need fitting on removal from the delivery crate in which the bike would have been imported. I doubt checking the loom or its routing would be on the PDI checklist.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:46 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
I rather suspect that no one will get bollocked at the dealer, as on a PDI, ime, you don't remove parts from the newly delivered bike to inspect things like the loom. Sounds like a factory problem to me.

Aye, most certainly a factory problem but, he seemed to be suggesting that it should have been picked up on in either the PDI or services.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:49 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A first service isn't much more than kick the tyres (figuratively speaking). Can't think why the fuel tank would be removed on a second service either, but I suppose it's possible. But it isn't the kind of thing that would be picked up on a PDI for the reason I've given. assuming everything functioned correctly.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:55 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
A first service isn't much more than kick the tyres (figuratively speaking). Can't think why the fuel tank would be removed on a second service either, but I suppose it's possible. But it isn't the kind of thing that would be picked up on a PDI for the reason I've given. assuming everything functioned correctly.

Interesting.

He did look through my service book to see who'd signed for/carried out the service. Not being very knowledgeable about what they do/don't do/check myself, he certainly seemed to expect that it should have been picked up on.

Jayy
Mr. Ponzi

PostPosted: 00:55 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never bought a bike from them directly but I have bought a couple from their group, which there are about 10 or so dealerships within it.

Bought a lid off them couple weeks back, pleasant staff and very helpful. Not much to say other than that, a genuine mistake had been made? Least the mechanic fessed up.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:26 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Can't think why the fuel tank would be removed on a second service either

The air filter is under the tank, which needs removing in order to change it.

It wasn't Kawasaki that spacked it up in the factory, it was the chimp that did the servicing.

That does suggest that they have actually changed the filter, which is kind of surprising in itself.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:43 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is the air fliter changed at the second service?
You can see from the invoice.

And to get to stuff under the tank on the erf6 is a fuckin dreadful job anyway.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 07:51 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

MCN wrote:
Is the air fliter changed at the second service?
You can see from the invoice.

Hmm, "Air cleaner element - clean" is every 7,500 miles.

If Dave (must be new here) had bothered telling us newness, mileage, or what servicing had (ostensibly) been done, we'd know.

MCN wrote:
And to get to stuff under the tank on the erf6 is a fuckin dreadful job anyway.

Which is why you'd pay a "professional" to do it right. Whistle

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
If Dave (must be new here) had bothered telling us newness, mileage, or what servicing had (ostensibly) been done, we'd know.

Dave70 wrote:
It's had two services up till now
Wink

Those being 600 and 4,000 miles. So they probably haven't carried out the air element clean.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 08:34 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Who did those services?

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:42 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't say you have had bad dealings with the company. Bad dealings is when they refuse to fix it or try and make you pay.

Maybe you got the only decent mechanic it the shop and he was, quite understandably, checking you hadn't taken it elsewhere for anything.

Possibly some chimp in the shop did trap the wiring when he assembling it and yes, it is annoying but they fixed it and without any fuss from what you say. Can you expect anything more form them?

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:53 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:
I wouldn't say you have had bad dealings with the company. Bad dealings is when they refuse to fix it or try and make you pay.

Maybe you got the only decent mechanic it the shop and he was, quite understandably, checking you hadn't taken it elsewhere for anything.

Possibly some chimp in the shop did trap the wiring when he assembling it and yes, it is annoying but they fixed it and without any fuss from what you say. Can you expect anything more form them?

No issues with the mechanic I spoke to yesterday, in fact I appreciate the fact he was honest about it.

My main concern is the danger element. I'm non too impressed with the knowledge that I've been riding round with a bare wire arcing on the underside of the petrol tank.

The bike has a four year warranty, so they couldn't really get out of doing the work for free.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 09:29 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Damn, Kawasaki done spazzed it? Sad times, sad times.

Dave70
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:31 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've edited MMC out of the title as I've just recalled that although the bike was purchased from them, that branch didn't have one in white, so they arranged for it to be delivered from one of their other franchises. I don't know which one though.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:56 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You should edit Buyer Beware too.

An assembly or servicing fault is not always the end of the world.

If the dealer OEM remedy the error without cost to you then no worries.

Unless it is something safety related where one could dead yourself or harm any feline.

WHen the OEM or dealer offer little or no support in fixing their fcuk-up/s THEN it is Buyer Beware/Name and Shame etc.

Aky208
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 11:30 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think you have much complaint here tbh.
Bought the bike - bike had an issue - they found the issue straight away - fixed under warranty.
That's more of an advocate for the dealership than a "beware/avoid"!
I wish more dealers were this open about blatant manufacturer faults instead of making you run round the houses trying to get them to admit its their issue!

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:52 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Damn, Kawasaki done spazzed it? Sad times, sad times.

Shit happens. As long as it isn't a frequent occurrence.

NutsyUk
Nearly there...

PostPosted: 12:10 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm i have the er6f... and a few weeks ago i took the tank off to inspect the filter (filters clean btw) not yet put the tank back on, will do today.
Ill be double careful to make sure the loom is in the right place D:

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:52 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the tank of a 2009 ER6F.

I never Spaznadded the loom doing that.

It is not an easy thing to do.

It is just a whole lot of Faffery to get to the plugs that way.

It is a very very multi-step operation.
It will make servicing cost higher due to man-hour-rates.

My K1300 is a pig's arse-button to get into too. Fecking Panel Screw Mental.
Germans getting their own back on the rest of Europe for the RAF et al fire bombing of Dresden in 45 I think.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:02 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just done the air filter and greased the coil sticks (they can corrode and get get stuck - Nutsy - do this before your tank goes back on) on my er6 (2010). Whilst not essential, it makes it far easier to get the airbox off if you displace the loom but if you're just changing the filter there's no need to go near it. Only required to access the plugs so I'd suggest an assembly error.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:18 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

These things happen. That's why stuff comes with a warrenty, because people aren't perfect.

I'm surprised with your attitude to the dealer. Its being put right without any complains for free, isn't it?
When the strumpet crapped its stator and fowlers fixed it under warrenty without so much as a question I was quick to praise them.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2