Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Chain splitter/ riveter recommendations?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Cadbury
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:59 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Chain splitter/ riveter recommendations? Reply with quote

Hi all,
My NC700 is in need of new chain and sprockets, going to give this one a go myself,im looking for a recommendation for a decent chain tool to tackle this with.
Is something like this at only £30 suitable? Or am I better off with something like this at £100 I'd rather invest in something that will last me for several years but there seems to be either cheap ones, or expensive ones. Nothing middle of the road.

Anybody got any recommendations?

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:09 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Angle grinder and a centre punch.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:36 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike shop.
1hr labour.

No need to get your hands dirty. Smile

Cheaper than a splitter.

You need to spend proper money on one that will last.

Cheap is a definite fail. They normally don't do big bike chains without disintegration or fcuking up the pin. Not pressing it in fully and serious chain fail photos. or all too common high 'Black Nail' risk. (Muuum...)

It is a fairly easy job and will be cheaper to do after you have fitted two or three chains. (saving the garage cost and time).

colink98
Could Be A Chat Bot

PostPosted: 15:48 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

they are both the same thing.

The sealy one i purchased from Wemoto only a couple of weeks back with a new chain and sprockets.

As MCN says the pin which is supposed to flare the rivet just gave way. it deformed and bent... totally waste of time and made very little impact on the chain link.

after much head scratching i cut the pin where it was bent and took it our of the tool and straight into the bin.

i took one of the old bearings (which i was replacing at the same time)
and took out the ball bearings.

using a ball bearing on the end of the threaded part of the tool against the part of the rivet to be flared worked a total treat.

So the pins are shit.
but the tool can be made to work.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:29 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find a good mechanic, use only them for your bikes needs. Form a friendship.
Mine allows me to use a bench in his workshop and all his tools for £8 an hour. its extra income without added workload to him.
In return i help him out around the shop every now and then.

I have saved thousands over the years, have the use of quality tools the do a job properly and have good advice on hand if i get stuck. Thumbs Up

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:24 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chain riveting is one job I won't do myself because I can't be sure what's good or bad in terms of the finished item, and I've got no expert on hand to tell me. I've done it on push bikes so I've maybe half an idea, but that's not enough. Chain breakage would be on my mind constantly.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

ADSrox0r
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:11 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laser one has served me well over the years, although a mate went full ape and snapped one of the pins Rolling Eyes Doesn't matter though, tbh I usually just grind a chain to split it these days I'm getting old and lazy.

https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/4557

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:35 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Chain splitter/ riveter recommendations? Reply with quote

Cadbury wrote:
Is something like this at only £30 suitable?

I managed to bend the pin and snap the main tube hex head clean off one of those, as per the 1 star ratings, so no, I wouldn't recommend it.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:53 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

None of the above. You want to use the DID KM500R chain tool or one of the many clones. It is well made and will give perfect rivet every time.

Www.ebay.co.uk/itm/33233174570

With any riviter, you do/should grind the head from the old rivit before pushing it out.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:37 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ADSrox0r wrote:
Laser one has served me well over the years, although a mate went full ape and snapped one of the pins Rolling Eyes Doesn't matter though, tbh I usually just grind a chain to split it these days I'm getting old and lazy.

https://www.lasertools.co.uk/product/4557

Agree, but I just hacksaw the old chain off instead.
Pisssing about with the tool to push pins out takes ages and you end up bending it.

Top tip, rivet the new link at the back sprocket rather then faffing about trying to do it in the middle of the chain run. Then measure the splay of the rivet with digital calipers is within correct spec.

My cheap tool did it easy with this method. Can't tell you what brand or ebay seller but it was around £28 iirc.
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 02:22 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont even bother with grinding pins off, 3inch cut off disc takes the chain off in 10 seconds.

Just make sure to break the torque on the front sprocket nut before hand cause its a nightmare to get off with no chain to the back wheel

tom_e
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 08:21 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I grind the old chain off and use one of these https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B0061V2LG8/ref=psdc_1938979031_t1_B000WZAAUS to flare the new rivet.

I've done 5 chains or so with it so far and it's still going strong, more than paid for itself in saved labour after the first chain.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:01 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
With any riviter, you do/should grind the head from the old rivit before pushing it out.

No you don't.

Riviter? Very Happy

They're wunse woz a ridiculus riviter . Very Happy

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:03 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems my link did not work.. www.ebay.co.uk/itm/332331745760
www.didchain.com/chainTools.html

Stallion. wrote:
https://images.static.worldstores.co/images/products/SS/14/Oxford_Wingback_Armchair_Elite_Charcoal_1gCJYZVboUE.jpg

Hows that replacement engine and rear wheel doing on your bike? the one that has about half the miles of mine. Must be about time for you to fuck something else up, cant wait Laughing

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:20 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:

Worked fine for us

https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/u5MAAOSwmgJY6445/s-l1600.jpg

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 13:29 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You only need to deform the rivet enough so that the plate can't fall off and doesn't move. The strength of the chain link isn't really dependant on how pretty your deformed link is.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:07 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're hamfisted it's easy to flare the soft rivet too much and leave yourself with a weak link so to speak.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because it has a low rating (Abusive). Unhide this post / all posts.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 15:29 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:
If you're hamfisted it's easy to flare the soft rivet too much and leave yourself with a weak link so to speak.

Less is more, so to speak.

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 15:42 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Admire my chain splitter.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_PsLQUXkAARCrd.jpg

Witness my peen.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/C_PopvyW0AAfwQ1.jpg
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

Do you touch yourself with those hands? 😂

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:39 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howling Terror wrote:

Hopefully nobody uses that photo to finger you...
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-43711477

Howling Terror
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:48 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never got on with gloves unless I'm cleaning brake parts...horrid and sweaty or lubed fingers? [sound of ladies getting moist].

@Phooey. Shocked Laughing
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 4 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2