Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Twist N Shout - moving to the darkside

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:40 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Twist N Shout - moving to the darkside Reply with quote

So I've been looking for something new for a while, more modern than the XJ and mostly for commuting.

For reasons even I don't understand, BMWs were figuring high on my list but, realistically, a Deauville was the sensible option and that's what I had decided on, until somebody mentioned another possibility.

I remember reading about these when they first launched and thinking they seemed like an interesting idea, but I hadn't seriously researched them. When I did, the news was good, nobody seemed to have much of a bad word to say about them, all I had to do was get past was the image.

I ummed and ahhed, kept looking around, then saw one that seemed a good price, closed my eyes and pushed the button.............

https://s7.postimg.cc/62i3c1qmz/20180415_144850.jpg

https://s7.postimg.cc/tthgua15n/20180415_144933.jpg

I'll leave a little space here for you to have a good laugh

OK, that's enough now Wink

Only had it for 24 hours, but first impressions are very good. It's extremely comfortable, the optional hand guards and fairing extensions do a great job of keeping the weather away and the storage is excellent.

The motor isn't super powerful (meant to be around 50bhp) but it's got enough to win the traffic light GP, the mid range roll on is pretty impressive and it's very smooth.

Brakes are good enough (no ABS, but it has a good linked system) and the weight that some people complain about, isn't an issue.

Things that need sorting are the head bearings (I knew that when I bought it) and it could do with a taller, wider screen - somebody a couple of inches shorter would probably be OK, but I get a huge amount of wind noise around my head.

It's a different experience, but a good one so far, updates will come, if there's any interest.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

WD Forte
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:36 - 15 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

<obligatory answer>

You aint no biker bruv...
You aint no biker.

<\obligatory answer>

Laughing

I'm of the 'if it got 2 wheels and engine I'll ride the fecker' brigade
cba with bike snobbery
(pointless anyway as I ride an ancient CX)

I seriously considered one last year
Enjoy it

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:31 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

WD Forte wrote:

I'm of the 'if it got 2 wheels and engine I'll ride the fecker' brigade
cba with bike snobbery
(pointless anyway as I ride an ancient CX)

Likrwise. I had a lot of fun on a rented Forza 300 in Spain a couple of years ago. I was really surprised by it. It was just so chilled out to ride.

But then I also ride an ancient CX...which I'm also finding to be surprisingly good.

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:06 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Haha, fair dos! I did your original plan and bought a 650 Deauville before Winter. Bar muffs and heated grips, top box, side panniers, I actually love it. It's a bloody good bike for commuting.

So if you tire of your friends ridiculing your scooter, you can always spend a grand on a Deauville and let them ridicule that instead Laughing

Is the Corvette yours too?

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 09:30 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snigger snigger snigger,! Do you ride that to your train-spotting meetings, or are you going to start delivering take-away’s now Laughing

There them scoots are getting better.
That actually looks like a nice ride. Thumbs Up

Just don’t start wearing corduroy trousers now Wink

If you like it, bollox to everyone else Thumbs Up

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 09:48 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drooling Drooling Drooling

For the Corvette, though.

To be honest, one of those would be ideal for me now, short but boring commute, decent storage, basic as anything and comfy. Perfect.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:27 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:

Is the Corvette yours too?

Yeah, I was going to say that's what I use if I fancy a wild ride, but this scoot is pretty damn good!

It's surprised a couple of 'normal' bikes from a standstill, enough that they've made a point of pulling alongside to try and figure out what it is and it can have a similar effect on 4 wheelers, who obviously think it's something a lot smaller, then get a bit sniffy when they can't get past.

The negative effect is I've been crowded/tailgated a couple of times and had to gun my way out of trouble - I feel some subtle '600' badges coming on, there's only so much impromptu racing I want to do.

In other news, the head bearings are becoming a priority (research tells me it's one of the most difficult maintenance jobs on the bike, oh joy Rolling Eyes ) and it cost 14 quid to fill up, although I won't find out how long that lasts until later in the week,

Still enjoying though, especially the super smooth motor at high speed, virtually no vibration at all at speeds I'm not prepared to admit to.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:39 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm quite fond of our scoot on the quiet, bought for the wife I probably ride it more than she does. Switch off brain and
relax, does a good 70 on a run and will get away from the lights quick enough. I'm off to get a proper OEM topbox for it
then start using it for errand running this summer. I'm planning to start climbing again soon and it's ideal for getting through
the centre of Bristol to the climbing centre. Just need the topbox for my bag.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:56 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice, if it runs nice then its a good purchase. I fancy winter hand guards for my YBR, I wouldn't have another bike without heated grips now after going through this winter with them for the first time. I love the storage ideas. Bikeing can be a real faff sometimes.

Enjoy

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:36 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stephen_o wrote:
Looks nice, if it runs nice then its a good purchase. I fancy winter hand guards for my YBR, I wouldn't have another bike without heated grips now after going through this winter with them for the first time. I love the storage ideas. Bikeing can be a real faff sometimes.

Enjoy

Bar muffs are a game changer, with heated grips you won't ever need anything more than summer gloves throughout winter.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:19 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
In other news, the head bearings are becoming a priority (research tells me it's one of the most difficult maintenance jobs on the bike, oh joy Rolling Eyes )

I changed the steering head bearings on my SH300 a couple of weekends back. Took about 6 hours without any rushing, I'd say I could do it in 3 hours a second time around. Most of that time was spent removing the bearings themselves - trickiest were the outer races in the head tube, there wasn't enough angle available to use a long straight drift to tap them out. I ended up balancing a bolt inside the tube, at an angle, resting against the bearing edge and tapping the other end of the bolt via a drift, but it took a while to figure out something that would work. A blind bearing puller would have been easier, but I didn't have one large enough. Stem inner race just took lots of time and chiselling.

Using a heat gun to expand the new bottom inner race and sliding it onto the steering stem was easier and faster than any approach involving tapping something.

An advantage I had was I'm familiar with how all the plastics come off and have done that teardown multiple times before.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my maxi scoots but they are a ball ache to work on

having a ball on chavped at the moment

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:05 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:
stephen_o wrote:

Enjoy

Bar muffs are a game changer, with heated grips you won't ever need anything more than summer gloves throughout winter.

I will be looking at that, at the beginning of winter my Oxford Wintergloves decided to get themselves piss wet through and on trying to get them off they fell to pieces so I have been using my donkeys years old summer gloves with the heated grips on and had no real discomfort.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:38 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think my old Speedfight adventures/expense/drama mentally scarred me about modern plastic scooters, well at least the chavvy ones that I'd naturally be into. Laughing I've actually never ridden a maxi scooter or really seen the point in them. My mind just says VFR 750 money? Nahh fuck that.

I did try a test ride on a Honda PCX 125 last year though, and it was quiet, responsive and very efficient too. The trouble is with all these kind of scooters is that you'd never buy one because you love the looks or character.

If I ever do get another scooter for enjoyment and fun I think I'd have to go old school and have a silly priced Italian special to throw any spare cash at. I just like the interest and following that traditional scoots still have all these years since they were first built. Can't imagine seeing any airbrushed custom modified Honda PCX's in 30-40years time?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:54 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I think my old Speedfight adventures/expense/drama mentally scarred me about modern plastic scooters, well at least the chavvy ones that I'd naturally be into. Laughing I've actually never ridden a maxi scooter or really seen the point in them. My mind just says VFR 750 money? Nahh fuck that.

I did try a test ride on a Honda PCX 125 last year though, and it was quiet, responsive and very efficient too. The trouble is with all these kind of scooters is that you'd never buy one because you love the looks or character.

If I ever do get another scooter for enjoyment and fun I think I'd have to go old school and have a silly priced Italian special to throw any spare cash at. I just like the interest and following that traditional scoots still have all these years since they were first built. Can't imagine seeing any airbrushed custom modified Honda PCX's in 30-40years time?

Then you should ride one, then you will see the point.

End of my second week of commuting and, quite honestly, I can't remember the last time I had so much fun on a bike, even in the cold and pouring rain.

I've ridden bikes over 900cc for the last 30 odd years, mainly because I'm a lazy git and I like the idea of just being able to open them up in any gear and get going, but I sometimes get that wrong and find myself shuffling about with brakes, clutch and gearbox.

This thing is like riding by thought transfer, you just think it and it does it, leaving me to concentrate on road positioning, surrounding traffic and enjoying myself.

Before I bought it, I read lots of forums and reviews, quite a lot of which are American and typically over effusive, as they prattle on about finding longer routes to get places, such was the riding pleasure.

Sounded like a load of bollards to me, until I rode this thing - I found myself actually laughing out loud yesterday, as I ripped past an R1200 on a soaking wet slip road and disappeared into the middle distance.

I'm sure it wouldn't be for everyone, but don't knock it until you try it.

UncleFester
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:38 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too can see the point. It's not for me but then i don't have a need for one but i can see the point of a twist and go / DCT - most of the time, changing gear is a boring necessity.

It's actually one of the things i like about the Z1000 compared to the CB500 - you don't need to razz up and down the box. It's not really that much of a mindset change to go the next step and let something else change gear for you.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:01 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wasting talking bollocks here, so as Shaft says I probably should try one for myself.

Its not the idea of an automatic bike being good for boring riding or for busy commutes, or for feeling more relaxed and comfortable on long distance rides.

Its the need for scooters with small wheels and different handling and braking ability to big bikes being useful/desirable with say 50bhp?

Again maybe a ride on one would change me forever though?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:15 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
I'm wasting talking bollocks here, so as Shaft says I probably should try one for myself.

Its not the idea of an automatic bike being good for boring riding or for busy commutes, or for feeling more relaxed and comfortable on long distance rides.

Its the need for scooters with small wheels and different handling and braking ability to big bikes being useful/desirable with say 50bhp?

Again maybe a ride on one would change me forever though?

Is the implication that 'different' = inferior?

If not, what's wrong with different?

All genres of bike handle and stop differently, you wouldn't expect a Virago to behave the same as a Fireblade, or a DRZ.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:38 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoy the fun.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:00 - 03 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah I guess it is!

Never had a small wheel bouncy poorly suspended twist and go that would handle for shit compared to say a mundane bike like a CB500. Don't get me wrong, small wheels are good for quick steering much more so than a bike, and that's an advantage at city streets speed. But I've never seen or ridden a scooter with decent quality and decent spec suspension, or one that has 600 sports bike ground clearance etc.

Supermoto bikes like scooters are fast steering wide lock angle bikes with tons of ground clearance. But at 80-100mph they don't handle for shit compared to a well set up sports bike, and they get tied up with their inadequacies at fast track day speeds.

I get that a 50bhp maxi scooter might be relaxing and have the grunt for two up touring, but I think it's stretching the outer envelope of where a scooter is most useful and a good tool for the job.

barrkel
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:39 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Never had a small wheel bouncy poorly suspended twist and go that would handle for shit compared to say a mundane bike like a CB500. Don't get me wrong, small wheels are good for quick steering much more so than a bike, and that's an advantage at city streets speed. But I've never seen or ridden a scooter with decent quality and decent spec suspension, or one that has 600 sports bike ground clearance etc.

Step-through scooter frames have a lot more flex than spine frames, never mind a sports-style twin spar. They'll always feel dodgy when hitting bumps at speed cranked over, possibly even developing weave. But that's not really how you ride a scooter, or anything short of a Tmax or similar, no more than it's how you'd ride a Harley. And in fact I think scooters are closer to cruisers than sports bikes, in weight distribution, feet forward, relaxed pose, etc.

Quote:
I get that a 50bhp maxi scooter might be relaxing and have the grunt for two up touring, but I think it's stretching the outer envelope of where a scooter is most useful and a good tool for the job.

Would you be getting your knee down on track while touring two-up? I think you're mixing up your objectives. Scooters are more like motorized chairs that are surprisingly quick in the city and, at higher capacities, perfectly usable on motorways. Almost exactly what you'd want on a sightseeing holiday (rather than a riding holiday), in fact.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:39 - 04 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I rented a 300 scooter in Spain a couple of years ago. That was great two up. Comfortable, easy handling, space to put stuff and grunty enough even at NSL. It was ideal for the purpose and I enjoyed riding it. They definitely have their place.

temeluchus
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:54 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

barrkel wrote:

Step-through scooter frames have a lot more flex than spine frames, never mind a sports-style twin spar. They'll always feel dodgy when hitting bumps at speed cranked over, possibly even developing weave. But that's not really how you ride a scooter, or anything short of a Tmax or similar, no more than it's how you'd ride a Harley. And in fact I think scooters are closer to cruisers than sports bikes, in weight distribution, feet forward, relaxed pose, etc.

Oldish thread I know, but have you seen the frame on a 650 burgman? Also on that the swingarm/transfer case is so rigid I doubt it flexes at all!

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:08 - 30 Sep 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

temeluchus wrote:
barrkel wrote:

Oldish thread I know, but have you seen the frame on a 650 burgman? Also on that the swingarm/transfer case is so rigid I doubt it flexes at all!

To be honest, I haven't noticed any handling quirks that I wouldn't attribute to the head bearings.

There's a few bends on my commute that have some nasty potholes, if I get my line wrong, but hitting them is only uncomfortable for me, the bike takes it all in it's stride.

And I still haven't experienced the high speed weave I was told to expect.

I'm still not sure why most of the maxi scooters have small wheels, not so much because of any handling issues, but more because they would ride bumps so much better and CVT lends itself to messing with wheel diameters, you don't have any gearing problems.

sickpup
Old Timer

PostPosted: 09:45 - 03 Oct 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
I'm still not sure why most of the maxi scooters have small wheels, not so much because of any handling issues, but more because they would ride bumps so much better and CVT lends itself to messing with wheel diameters, you don't have any gearing problems.

Because you would never fit a large rear wheel in the space behind the engine.

So have you got an apron, muffs and heated grips for it yet?

If you are going to be using it over winter check out the Sava MC32 winter tyres. I know they do a fitment for the front, not sure about the rear. You will be shocked at the grip.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 178 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2