75%  [ 6 ]
Lexmoto tekken
25%
 25%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 8

Username undecided
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 10:33 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: First bike! Reply with quote

Hi people! I'll be getting my first bike soon and I'm torn between two so I've came here seeking help to my dilemma!

I'm aware the bikes are Chinese and carry a negative opinion from the get go so if we could just overlook this and focus on aesthetics and practicality that would be awesome! Very Happy

Thanks in advance Thumbs Up

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:58 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Neither. 7.1kW and 8.3kW, and both over 150kg.

I'd spend the same money on a used YS125 or CB125F, or less on an older YBR125.

If you really must have an adventure styled 125, try and find a Derbi Terra.

If you really, really must have one of those two, I'd go for the Sinnis because it claims very slightly more power and less weight, and the dual exhausts on the Lexmoto offend my sensibilites. This is not a recommendation, it's mitigation.

Panda1909
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 11:13 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

+1 For a Terra, more power than Sinnis, better quality build, looks the bollocks and doesn't have 125 written any where on it for the poontang appeal

Of the two i'd say go for the Sinnis, they are built in the same factories in china that make Suzuki, BMW, H-D and Kawasaki as far as i know. A lot of the parts come from the same parts bin.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:25 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd also vote "neither".

YBR125 Thumbs Up

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:27 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know, while the Tekken and the Sinnis have bespoke luggage options, the Terra doesn't ...

... but still, Derbi Terra for the win. I think you'll find the other two are both horribly underpowered.

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:28 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

... or this for an even bigger win.

Powderhead wrote:
YBR125 Thumbs Up

Panda1909
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:04 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: First bike! Reply with quote

Username undecided wrote:

I'm aware the bikes are Chinese and carry a negative opinion from the get go so if we could just overlook this and focus on aesthetics and practicality that would be awesome! Very Happy

everyone I've spoken to who has a Sinnis (can't speak for a Lex, i've not known anyone who has, nor have I ever, ridden one) absolutely love it, they are surprising good despite the stigma, smooth running and parts are easy to get.

As mentioned earlier, build quality isn't that bad. The luggage is flimsy and feels el cheapo crappo, but is included as standard (and it's one key for everything which is nice), as are the crashbars and a usb port
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:04 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only adventure you're likely to find yourself in with either of those two bikes are the adventures finding replacement parts and haynes manuals.

Oh and possibly a buyer.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 15:59 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: First bike! Reply with quote

so if we could just overlook this and focus on aesthetics and practicality that would be awesome! Very Happy

Ow-Kay.. focusing on aesthetics alone...... then....

NOTHING looks good with L-Plates... how much the cost, over used YBR and an A1 licence?

No one will give a toss when they try knock you off, HOW 'cool' you merely 'think' you look.... so which is cheapest?

Sod the 'look' worry about who actually LOOKS!

Personally, I say get the Sinnis... it's orange.... we won't be able to miss you when you are pushing it up the pavement.... either 'cos its broke, a-ga-yne, or you has bin knocked off... a-gay-yne.... either way, makes it easier for us to point and laugh and say I told you so be compassionate, non piss-taking groan-ups and... well, spot you and snigger.. hey, chinky bike and a looser-plate, A-N-D pretensions over 'aesthetics' WHAT do you expect FFS?!?

Your call.... as they say, fool and his money soon parted....
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:21 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of that Sinnis.

I stress 'look' as I have absolutely no knowledge about how any of them ride or what the life expectancy is.

As per most others I'd say a 2nd hand Jap but if you go for one of the Chinese bikes, don't expect any resale value when you come to move it on and you won't be disappointed.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:33 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
Oh and possibly a buyer.

Big ups to that.

They might be 2/3rds the price of the basic Honda and Yamaha offerings, but you'll be lucky to be offered more than sweetie money for them when you sell up.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 16:33 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL at 'poontang appeal'. Only if it's 13 year old poontang you're after, and you can't legally take them to school on the back
of a 125 on L's so what's the point? By 14 they are all about boys 17 years and older specifically with access to a car so
they can sit there on their phone and travel without messing their makeup and hair up.

Get used CG125 or YBR125.
Obtain full licence.
Sell for near enough what you paid .
Get proper bike.

Buying a brand new chinese bike is zero guarantee of it lasting a year or two, it's a bit like claiming a freshly done still
steaming turd is somehow superior to a stone cold one that's been on the floor for a while. Ultimately you won't be able to
give either away. But it's clear this is mainly about having 'BRAND NEW' anything for used bike monies.

Polarbear
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:02 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
LOL at 'poontang appeal'. Only if it's 13 year old poontang you're after, and you can't legally take them to school on the back

The only 'back' he is trying to get them is the back of the bike sheds Wink

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 18:01 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Get used CG125

At a minimum, 10 years old. I'd suggest a 3 year old YBR with a fresh MOT. Not a CBF125 though.

Thing is, if you have the money to burn, a new Lexmoto or Sinnis might actually be fine. But then comes the servicing to maintain the warranty, and if you're thinking of financing it, no way, just no way.

Panda1909
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 18:39 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
At a minimum, 10 years old. I'd suggest a 3 year old

When I first read this I thought you were still on about the poon

almostthere
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 18:48 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

lexmoto because no panniers or top box they're for cnuts,
If you need to carry that much shit around get a fucking car!

ThatDippyTwat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:48 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derbi Terra. Same motor as the GPR and Mulhacen, about the same weight as a YBR. About as good as 125's get.

thx1138
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:20 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: First bike! Reply with quote

Teflon-Mike wrote:
so if we could just overlook this and focus on aesthetics and practicality that would be awesome! Very Happy

Ow-Kay.. focusing on aesthetics alone...... then....

NOTHING looks good with L-Plates... how much the cost, over used YBR and an A1 licence?

No one will give a toss when they try knock you off, HOW 'cool' you merely 'think' you look.... so which is cheapest?

Sod the 'look' worry about who actually LOOKS!

Personally, I say get the Sinnis... it's orange.... we won't be able to miss you when you are pushing it up the pavement.... either 'cos its broke, a-ga-yne, or you has bin knocked off... a-gay-yne.... either way, makes it easier for us to point and laugh and say I told you so be compassionate, non piss-taking groan-ups and... well, spot you and snigger.. hey, chinky bike and a looser-plate, A-N-D pretensions over 'aesthetics' WHAT do you expect FFS?!?

Your call.... as they say, fool and his money soon parted....

who are you, and what have you done with Tef?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:56 - 13 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: First bike! Reply with quote

thx1138 wrote:
who are you, and what have you done with Tef?
Teflon-Mike wrote:
I say get the Sinnis... it's orange.

It's all right, he got the bikes muddled up despite being given clear pictures of both of them. It's Tef, all right.

Pjay
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:20 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tef does have a good point about aesthetics being pointless when you are spending money on a Chinese 125 on L plates to look cool.

If you are hell bent on buying one of the two bikes you posted, just look for a used one, you'll pay peanuts and it will only be in the same condition a new one will be in, within mere months.

The sensible money buys a Vandaradaaro or whatever the fk they are called, but as with anything decent, they demand a premium.
The Upside is, you can use it for 2 years and get all of your money back.

Or a YBR.

Winrar.

Teflon-Mike
tl;dr

PostPosted: 10:03 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pjay wrote:
The sensible money buys a Vandaradaaro or whatever the fk they are called, but as with anything decent, they demand a premium.
The Upside is, you can use it for 2 years and get all of your money back.

Or a YBR.

Winrar.

Very-Oh-Dear-Oh.. (Veradaro)... It was, when it was listed in the brochures... like the CG a decade ago, just about THE most expensive 125 on the market... and it sold, in relatively big numbers for an ultra-over-priced and under-powered four-stroke 125, rather like the old 250 Super-Dream, back in the 250 Learner days, on a) being an 'onda, b) being 'big' and c) 'LOOKING' like it is bigger than it is.....

I've been shouted at by the Vera-fan-club, for dissing the thing, BUT.... at twice the price of a CBF125 when they were side by side in the show-room.... they were not twice the bike, they did not have twice the performance, twice the reliability or twice the longevity.... you did get a 'bit' more oomph for your cash, but on bikes with so little to start with, that's pretty small potatoes; they have fared a bit better than cheaper offerings as they have aged... nut not that much. A lot of the look is down to large expanses of easy to clean plastic, that hides manky mechanics as they get mankier... what, if anything has saved them so much rot, IMO is that so expensive in the show-room to start with, most were bought by more mature 'learners'.. kids with the credit rating or Daddy-Account to buy that far up the market bought an Aprillia, that could be quick for the cash; The Vera was never going to be, and their usually older owners didn't tend to rag them so badly, and frequently handed them back to the franchise dealer to change the oil and stuff!

NOW... youngest of what's out there is a decade old, and that's tail-end second chance life-span for a learner-bike. That age has seen a lot drop into teen-ager pocket money price territory, and they have started to suffer the bodgery other learner bikes tend to.... do we mention the infamous welded on sprocket case? lol!

And they are NOT bikes that can easily be bodged like that! Under all that body-work, is an expensive and intricate bit of machinary, with two cylinders to be bothered about, inconveniently in a V arrangement to make getting at stuff more awkward... especially exhausts, that by now are rotted to heck, and expensive to replace.... but hey.... all that body-work hides the gum-gum and halfords exhaust bandages dont it?!?

At tag end of service life? IMO they are a money-pit in waiting; that should be avoided... if you can afford a good'n, and know how to spot a good'n... you wouldn't be looking, REALLY... with that sort of savvy, you'd be buying a 3-year old MOT fresh YBR.. using it to get a full licence and get to work, doing only what you have to to preserve usefulness and resale, and flogging on as soon as you can get something 'better' for the money, earned NCB and hopefully licence acquired along the way.

The Veradero, was not a bad bike... it was, all told probably a pretty good one... when brand new... but it was over-priced then.... a decade or more on, they have not fared well, and they do NOT IMO represent a great bet for any-one starting out in the wonderful world of biking.

The Chinks...... are probably unfortunately the present and future of 125 motorcycles.... This includes the Yamaha YBR built in China.

Interesting to note, that having stepped into the void left by the collapse of the British Bike industry forty years ago, after they retreated into the more lucrative 'big-bike' sectors, and left the utility small bike market to the Italians, and then the Japanese, before they all went Belly up round Brum..... forty years on, and the Japanese, faced with higher labour rates as they come out of post-WWI reconstruction, a depressed US cash-cow market not giving the cream it used to, and increasing ecconomic pressures as world wide banking starts to 'pinch' and subsidized 'development loans' are withdrawn.. the Japanese manufacturers have, like the Brits 40-odd years ago, retreated into the more lucrative 'Big-Bike' markets.... where they appear to have been dumbing down a lot, and making a lot of 21st centuiry twins.... you know, plastic Bonavilles..... to maintain profit margins, whilst oh! Like the brits 40 years ago... 'resting on their laurels' as far as pushing the boundaries any further, as they did in the 80's.... however, as far as the tiddlers go, there has been a concerted effort by the Japs, to 'devolve' production of the to outside Japan, into lower-labour regions.

Honda probably got the ball rolling, oooh, thirty or more years back; buying Italian and Spanish manufacturers and slowly taking them over, to build NS125's in Italy, and melody mopeds in Spain... and CBF's in India. But migrating the CG125, first to Brazil, then China... where others have followed.... Like Yamaha and the YBR. Suzuki? A lot of the small-bore offerings are made in Portugal or in Tiwan, and more are badged out to other 'partner' manufacturers.... and Kawasaki, just seem to have given up making small bikes all together!

There's NOT really a lot of store in a Japanese Brand-Name, anymore; it hasn't for a quarter century or more meant the bike was actually built in Japan or subject to Japan QC control and build standards...

And the choice for a 17 year old of today? Well, if it's new it will likely be Chinese!!! Second Hand... it will STILL likely be Chinese! Little in the 125 sector is lucky to survive much longer, and anything that old, is still hobson's choice, with however many potential numpty learner owners welding chuffing sprockets on the out-put shaft and shit!#

Which means... its Chineser fake-away... or err... Chinese fake-away... or pasta.... which of course is Chinese noodle..... with oragano, and a latin trained chef!

Short answer is there's no really 'good' answer... and of the Chinky offerings the genuine Yamaha YBR is probably as close to the safe bet as there is...... with the wops..... as ever, seems to be paying your money... usually quite a lot, and taking your chances.... only solace being that when it works, it will probably work quite a bit better..... and will certainly look better when pushing it home!

In modern A1 world.... its horrible to admit, BUT the 'smart-money' would be, to do probably what the beuroprats would like us to; But a Chinese twist and Go Scooter, and treat it like a washing-machine; ride it for as long as the variator belt lasts, and or CBT validity, then scrap it as cheaper to buy-new than fix; by which time, either be old enough to get a higher licence, or have given up and got a car, so we can pay the extra taxes!!!

You know I am NOT a pessimist by nature.,... I'm an optimist, disillusioned TOOO many times!!! Lol.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:18 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
grr666 wrote:
Get used CG125

At a minimum, 10 years old.

I never knew they didn't still make them actually. I'm very unfamiliar with the current Honda range. I thought the CG
was a sensible 125 mainstay. I did ride a CBF 125 thing as a courtesy bike once and it was dire, didn't realise that
is their sensible 125 nowadays. I had a Japanese CG on a 1980 W plate back in the day. Bulletproof little thing it was.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 19:37 - 14 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I did ride a CBF 125 thing as a courtesy bike once and it was dire, didn't realise that is their sensible 125 nowadays.

It's not, it's been replaced by the Chinese made CB125F, and I doubt it'll be fondly remembered. Every used example I've seen out in the wild has been ravaged by the tin worm.

Powderhead
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 10:07 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always buy a brilliant example of a YBR 125 Custom Wink

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:55 - 16 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What happened to the OP? Flounced?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 348 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2