Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Car insurance companies are massive bastards

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter Goto page 1, 2  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:57 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Car insurance companies are massive bastards Reply with quote

What the utter fuck do car insurance places think they're playing at? 'No claims' is not a thing, it's an absence of a thing. Proving it should be a rudimentary part of the process of administering insurance in the first place, considering they tell you they share information with other insurers before you're allowed to even speak to a human these days.

So, owning and insuring a vehicle now means maintaining the 'thing' that's attached to a vehicle. Previously 'lost' this thing when I had the audacity to own a bike for more than 2 years without owning a car and had to start again.

Today have been asked to prove no claims and been told by current car insurer that unless you cancel the policy the thing is on, you can't 'use' the thing on another policy.

Then they want you to cancel the existing policy with 'maximum' thing on it, so they can requote you without 'any' thing, and charge you an admin fee plus no doubt increased premium for the privilege.

I see this as a barrier to ownership of personal transportation, so it attacks my civil liberties. I wish a slow deliberate decline of the health of the cocksocket who devised this thing, documented for me to enjoy.

/r

Last edited by UnknownStuntman on 17:36 - 17 Apr 2018; edited 1 time in total

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:09 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownStuntman wrote:

Can insurance companies are massive bastards

I too have problems insuring my can

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:37 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Today have been asked to prove no claims and been told by current car insurer that unless you cancel the policy the thing is on, you can't 'use' the thing on another policy.

you cant use them on more then one policy Confused thought everyone knew that
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:09 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah as stated above, your NCD can only be used on one policy, you can't have two lots of NCD running at once (legally anyway).

You also can't stack NCD if you have multiple vehicles with multiple insurers.

If you can add another vehicle to your current policy it may be worthwhile depending on how much difference the NCD makes.

My friend has multiple NCD's running at the same time, both with PDF's from the previous insurer proving NCD. Thinking about it do insurers check if the NCD is being used by another insurer or did you tell them?

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:38 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had two policy's with bennetts in 2016 one for my sons 125 then when I passed my test I took out another full comp on the RR

when I moved to MCE in Nov 2017 (half the renewal price) they accepted both my NCB's from Bennetts

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Fin
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:45 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

oldpink wrote:
when I moved to MCE in Nov 2017 (half the renewal price) they accepted both my NCB's from Bennetts

But did they ask for proof upfront? From my experience with them they only ask in the event of a claim, they're my favourite insurers to date.

oldpink
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:51 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bennetts sent me two letters confirming my NCB on each policy as well as 2 Emails and was told that I was entitled to use them both together when I called to cancel the renewal when I changed

Theory & hazard 24-may 2016, CBT 8th June 2016, MOD 1 2nd Aug 2016 Mod 2 2nd-Nov 2016 - Current bike CBR 600 RR
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 18:56 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just told MCE I had 4 years no claims. Didn't ask for proof. Turns out I had 3. I now have 6 on the GSXR and 5 on a ped.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

UnknownStuntm...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:32 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and everyone is ok with this concept of NCD being a thing that's magically gained by owning a specific vehicle, and can be transferred around like it's a real thing, but really, you know, it's not... right?

Surely, sense has to take over at some point and look at the thing they're actually insuring (the person) and attach the thing to that. Surely. No?

It's like the insurance companies all got together and smoked copious opioids and dreamed up magical things and this was one that somehow got past the law teams and onto people's policies and everyone just goes along with it because, you know, you have to have insurance.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 22:02 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a 2 year 3 month break in bike insurance because the GPZ was trashed and off the road, instead of claiming for the damage on the policy I stupidly decided to try and repair it myself because the claim would shaft not just the bike but the car -even though it was a theft attempt on the bike from a hospital.

Of course when I came around to scrapping the GPZ and buying the YBR and getting it insured I a, lost my ncb due to expiry b, got no driving other bikes because of c c, got classed as a novice rider despite full licence for 5 years because of the break in insured riding. To say I was angry would be an understatement.

andym
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:35 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lost out on 9 years no claims on cars (about 7 years ago), when it was cheaper to insure bikes, a couple of years ago I insured a car again for £880.... then I made the mistake of buying a van and insuring it.

Even though going through the application process it asked me about car NCB and van NCB I entered zero years no claim bonus on both, the insurer "assumed" that because I've had my car license for 17 years that meant I had 9 years no claims bonus Rolling Eyes

I ended up contacting the insurance ombudsman about it because they wanted an extra £1500 to insure the van.... the ombudsman decided that I was right and they were wrong and said that with the deposit and hassle the insurance company should refund me £150..... then said it was up to me to take them to chase them up for it Evil or Very Mad

BanditsHigh
Worse than a woman

PostPosted: 07:04 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fin wrote:
Yeah as stated above, your NCD can only be used on one policy, you can't have two lots of NCD running at once (legally anyway).

You sure about that!

For example, one policy covering cars and another covering bikes ... each policy is separate from the other and will have a NCB which is associated with it ... keep both policies running over the years and you'll have NCB for each.

Claiming on one policy would (potentially) lose the NCB for that policy, however the other policy should be unaffected.

Another 6 months and I would have had 23 years NCB ... back to 22 years NCB as my policy has been cancelled due to a non-fault where the bike has been claimed for!

All the best .. Barry

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:47 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have four lots of NCB building on four separate policies. Roughly 17 years on the car, 7 on the van, 4 on the bike
and 3 on the scoot.

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 09:49 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"It doesn't work like that." - Carole Nash, Circa 2012

When I told them the flat-rate classic policy I'd been using didn't accrue a no-claims bonus as such but the company were happy to do me a letter stating I had been insured with them consistantly for the previous 7 years and had not made any claims.

LustyLew
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:52 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strange, I was having this exact discussion with a colleague yesterday.

I have 17 years NCD on my car policy and 9 years on the bike.

I have claimed on the bike policy due to theft. However, I STILL have to declare it on my car policies. So my premium increases as a result.

It is indeed a con. If you're claim free across all your motor policies, you're claim free. Doesn't matter who, how what or where.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 10:31 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a prang in our car last year, but protected NCD meant it didn't affect my renewal on the car much at all.
All the other three went up though because I declared the incident as I am supposed to. Yet I couldn't find anybody
who could answer why it is if I'm a greater insurance risk because I can't reverse properly Laughing (I reversed into a car
in a car park) how that then translates to my motorcycle and scooter policies. With the car and van it's understandable
due to the existence of a reverse gear on both vehicles. But the bikes??? Even if I am the worlds worst reverser, how
does that make any difference to my prowess as a 100% non reversing rider??

Conclusion - They make it up as they go along.

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:02 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
but protected NCD meant it didn't affect my renewal on the car much at all.

Was going to mention you can pay extra to protect the magical non existent thing too! Laughing

Did you only have protected no claim on the one and not the other? if you had on the other would it have been any different?

BTTD
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:16 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
I had a prang in our car last year, but protected NCD meant it didn't affect my renewal on the car much at all.
All the other three went up though because I declared the incident as I am supposed to. Yet I couldn't find anybody
who could answer why it is if I'm a greater insurance risk because I can't reverse properly Laughing (I reversed into a car
in a car park) how that then translates to my motorcycle and scooter policies. With the car and van it's understandable
due to the existence of a reverse gear on both vehicles. But the bikes??? Even if I am the worlds worst reverser, how
does that make any difference to my prowess as a 100% non reversing rider??

Conclusion - They make it up as they go along.

Maybe they saw your thread on riding into a ditch? Laughing

You really can't trust them at all. Admiral price matched my renewal to a lower quote, and then when I got the paperwork through they'd increased the voluntary excess, so basically giving me a lower level of cover. Tossers.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 11:20 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The laugh was bike insurers saying that I needed to declare a crash that Mrs Borg had in her Mummy Bus, because my name was on the car policy, even though she has nothing to do with my bike policies.

Now I just choose to misinterpret these questions, on the basis that the worst case is that I'll have to pay the difference in premium in the event of a claim.

Honesty doesn't pay.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:36 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sigh, there's always one....

jnw010 wrote:

Maybe they saw your thread on riding into a ditch? Laughing

Folded arms Manoeuvred headfirst into a ditch. Tut Tut Critically, I did not reverse.
Besides, I recovered and repaired the bike at my expense so not much point involving the daylight robbers.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:22 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If insurance was easy then everyone would be selling it.

The insurance is based on risk.

The person
The vehicle
The place
The use
The ......

But it could be made simpler if the Bastards shared the info they have on everyone they have ever sold a policy to.

They play their cards close to their tits.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:33 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Talking of insurance, where's arry these days?

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 13:59 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fizzoid wrote:
Talking of insurance, where's arry these days?

Last post was:

arry wrote:
KTM990. It's amazeballs, when it works.

So, killer corrosion, obviously

I've already called being remeberingmost, and also first ride on his bikes and his missus.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:26 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

BanditsHigh wrote:
Fin wrote:

You sure about that!

For example, one policy covering cars and another covering bikes ... each policy is separate from the other and will have a NCB which is associated with it ... keep both policies running over the years and you'll have NCB for each.

Claiming on one policy would (potentially) lose the NCB for that policy, however the other policy should be unaffected.

Another 6 months and I would have had 23 years NCB ... back to 22 years NCB as my policy has been cancelled due to a non-fault where the bike has been claimed for!

All the best .. Barry

I think he meant using the same NCD on more than one vehicle. I've no idea how they'd know, if your proof is only a piece of paper.

grr666 wrote:
Besides, I recovered and repaired the bike at my expense so not much point involving the daylight robbers.

Now now you're meant to declare all accidents Tut Tut

On the subject of NCD, something I've always wondered, if it expires after two years how do you prove that? Say if I don't ride for 18 months, buy/insure a bike for 3 months then sell it, have I reset the two year clock, or are insurers going to balk at my proof of NCD if I try to use it again 6 months later?

Do you need another proof of NCD letter from the cancelled policy, and would you get one?

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 14:45 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am a CII certified Insurance Broker and Financial Advisor although I no longer work in these fields.

No Claims bonus letters or proofs always have the expiry date of the policy on so the clock runs from that date. When I was working as a broker there used to be a list of some companies who would accept up to 3 years and 1 used to be unlimited time period but the whole lot has gone by the by now due to computerisation and the internet meaning that everyone flocks to compare the meerkat now and accepts their assumptions and then the problems start at claim time.

It used to be possible to produce the same ncb proof as already used on 1 car to insure a 2nd as well and a few other things which I wont go into but now with the plethora of "when did you buy the vehicle, do you have access to other vehicles etc" questions its easy to trip yourself up and face having a claim refused.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 346 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Random Banter All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2