BCF: Bike Chat Forums

SV650 sport?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers
View previous topic : View next topic  

cloric_tzr
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:23 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: SV650 sport? Reply with quote

So after many years Later than i would have liked having kids back op etc im finally going to do the propper test.

Having had a little zip about on the young brother in laws 125 ( which was supposed to be quick but once i got started got further and further)
Ive realised what ive been missing.

Im strongly considering a SV650 sport for my first.

Will i be disappointed or is it as good as they say?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:36 - 17 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: SV650 sport? Reply with quote

cloric_tzr wrote:
Im strongly considering a SV650 sport for my first.

Will i be disappointed or is it as good as they say?

It depends entirely on what you're going to use it for and what you're comparing it to.

Compared to a 125 it will be amazing.

Compared to a 600cc IL4 not so much.

A lot of BCFers think they're meh myself included as I remember getting utterly destroyed by Sandra and her Harley friend. When normally I'm the one who they can't keep up with.

Good points:

Cheap (because they're undesirable)

Plentiful spares.

Bad points

Needs upgrades to make it handle (suspension).

It's made from cheese. I rounded off almost every bolt on one of them doing repairs on them.

Hard to sell on because they're undesirable. I sold mine for beer money and the guy was disappointed.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

cloric_tzr
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 00:18 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive ridden a few bigger bikes 400-600 but quite a few years back now, im not really enthused about a ‘racy’ bike i guess for now life has ebbed that away, that not to say im not going to enjoy a good blast but its not at the forefront (for now).

What are the engines like, ive read they deliver a nice torque(y) punch which is really what’s appealing the most tbh, a little more lazy than a il4 but still capable?

I have family scattered as far as 350 miles away and i would really like a bike thats able to please on both fronts in the twisties and a longer cruise.

I certainly had some small customisations in mind more so visual and audio than anything.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:47 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloric_tzr wrote:

What are the engines like, ive read they deliver a nice torque(y) punch which is really what’s appealing the most tbh, a little more lazy than a il4 but still capable?.

A lot of people describe it by saying it's like a tractor. Also spending years on IL4s I feel they're kind of vibey. The local bike shop owner said if they had 100-150cc extra they'd be ideal as they're called mini twins for a reason.

But go ride one and see. As a bit of a wild card why not the SV1000? It will have much more torque and is more desirable than the 650.

The alternative of course is to buy an IL4 and change the chain and sprockets to get good acceleration at expense of the top end. If you get tired of this you can change them back to more conventional sized sprockets. Can't do that with an SV.
Spain 2008France 2007Big one 2009 We all die. The goal isn't to live forever, the goal is to create something that will. In the end, your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it is worth watching.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 08:57 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: SV650 sport? Reply with quote

cloric_tzr wrote:
back op

The SV650S has low clip ons and an optimistically sporty riding position. If you have any sort of back issues, or want long distance comfort, I'd give it a wide berth.

A Gladius / SFV650 / post 2016 "SV650" have the same engine but much friendlier ergonomics.

But then you might as well get an ER6F.

Or a Bandit 650 or a GSX650F or a Fazer or a CBF600, or ...

Why were you looking at the SV650S in particular, and what's your budget?

Baffler186
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:18 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's personal preference, but there is absolutely nothing wrong with them if you look after them. I've not rounded off any bolts. General build quality and paint work is no worse than a Fazer or Bandit IME.

The brakes and suspension are budget (like the rest of the bike) but perfectly adequate for road use. The front suspension is certainly the most noticeable of it's budget-ness, but you do get used to it. And as for the engine, I find it far more usable on UK roads. You can short shift and open it up in higher gears and still get to 70 faster than 90% of cars on UK roads.

So really it's all down to your budget and whether or not you like the riding position. As said before, if your budget is higher than £1000-£1500 then I'd be looking out for an Er6-f but I still think the SV sport looks better, and represents more value for money (IMO).

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:10 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

SV1000 is an underrated bike, loads of torque and sound amazing with some aftermarket cans Thumbs Up

All the practically of the 650 (except maybe mpg) too.

Vulusmaximus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 22:58 - 18 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

cloric_tzr wrote:
Ive ridden a few bigger bikes 400-600 but quite a few years back now, im not really enthused about a ‘racy’ bike i guess for now life has ebbed that away, that not to say im not going to enjoy a good blast but its not at the forefront (for now).

What are the engines like, ive read they deliver a nice torque(y) punch which is really what’s appealing the most tbh, a little more lazy than a il4 but still capable?

I have family scattered as far as 350 miles away and i would really like a bike thats able to please on both fronts in the twisties and a longer cruise.

I certainly had some small customisations in mind more so visual and audio than anything.

Have you considered a VFR800 ? If not might be worth considering. As a Sports-Cruiser it would give you the flexibility your looking for (great engine as well).

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:46 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never heard a vfr800 referred to as a sports cruiser....what is that?...

I'd say it's a sports tourer personally..

Tdibs
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 22:30 - 19 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deffo look at the naked ones with handlebars or a upright bar conversion if you have had a back op the clips ons on the S will not do you any favors!

The motor is a really good one for the road lots of quick accessible to power out of corners, fast easy overtakes where you dont have to spool up the motor much.

Really they are a decent all-rounder, just look for a clean example as they are learner fodder for sure.

Vulusmaximus
Derestricted Danger

PostPosted: 18:10 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bacon wrote:
Never heard a vfr800 referred to as a sports cruiser....what is that?...

I'd say it's a sports tourer personally..

Oppps, yes, I miss-typed (having a senior moment), a sports tourer indeed Very Happy

Keir
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 18:15 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive had a few sv650's and think they are a reasonable budget bike. the naked version is probably the most 'fun' but they are quite rare and not as good if you cover motorways as theres no wind protection.
Previous: '99 Honda CBR 600FX, 03 ZX636 B1H, 99 Fazer 600 (red), 02 GSX-R 600 K2, 00 SV650s (red), 2008 ZX10R, 97 Bandit 1200N, 04 ZX6RR K1H, 04 GSX-R 1000, 98 Fazer 600 (gold), 05 Madness 110 Pit bike, 04 CR125R, 00 SV650s (black), 06 KTM 625 SMC, 99 SRAD 600 track bike, 03 SV650, 98 Bandit 1200N, Bandit 600SY, 03 GSX-R 600 K3, 01 GSX-R 600, 01 Fazer 600 (black), VFR 400 NC30 x3, 78 Honda Dream, 00 Speedfight 50

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:07 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tdibs wrote:
Deffo look at the naked ones with handlebars or a upright bar conversion

How many of those are there out there? A few dozen in the UK? How many are for sale right now, today?

Deffo look at bikes that actually exist, rather than seeking out a unicorn version of a mediocre bike that's unsuitable for your needs.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:09 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

Deffo look at bikes that actually exist, rather than seeking out a unicorn version of a mediocre bike that's unsuitable for your needs.

You can of course modify a bike massively for the unicorn status.

But if you do enough you might as well have bought a better bike in the first place Very Happy

bobthepie
L Plate Warrior

PostPosted: 19:01 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Tdibs wrote:
Deffo look at the naked ones with handlebars or a upright bar conversion

How many of those are there out there? A few dozen in the UK? How many are for sale right now, today?

I've found a few nice naked sv650 models actually whilst looking for bandits. One very nice one with twin exhausts and raised handlebars that tickles my fancy, however I think i'm leaning moreso to a bandit 12 for my first bigger one.

Itchy
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:47 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keir wrote:
ive had a few sv650's and think they are a reasonable budget bike. the naked version is probably the most 'fun' but they are quite rare and not as good if you cover motorways as theres no wind protection.

That's one of the things about the SV. On paper it's quite reasonable for the price vs the spec. They're kind of disappointing in the metal though.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 342 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> New Bikers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1