Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:07 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

MilesH wrote:
I loved the STR but after half an hour my legs felt cramped and my frame never felt comfortable on it - I'm 6ft 3 with a lot of the height in my legs.

Ideally I'd like something similar but that fits me.

I'm in the same position and I've tried other bikes but I just can't convince myself there's anything else worth moving on to.
The MT-10 was awesome but the mpg was shocking.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 10:53 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: F800r Reply with quote

Kentol750 wrote:
Bmw don't really sell [the F800R] enough as a 'fun bike....it's not in keeping with hipster/ewgregor/boringman cool.

When the local Motorrad opened, they had some #BakLayf stunt rider doing his thing (oh, a stoppie-kiss with some slapper, how original) on an F800R.

They are trying to flog it as a fun bike for larking around on, but that's not really their demographic.

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:57 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

recman wrote:

the MCN test quotes 42mpg ....

the MCN test on the 5vy quotes 38mpg .. which is not what it gets in the real world .. try 45mpg +

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:36 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

recman wrote:
MilesH wrote:
I loved the STR but after half an hour my legs felt cramped and my frame never felt comfortable on it - I'm 6ft 3 with a lot of the height in my legs.

Ideally I'd like something similar but that fits me.

I'm in the same position and I've tried other bikes but I just can't convince myself there's anything else worth moving on to.

Tried the MT09SP a few weeks back and was surprised at just how much more comfortable it was than the street, very upright and much lower pegs, but yeah just wasn't enough to make me want to switch.

killa
Won't Shut Up

PostPosted: 12:38 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy this

YAMAHA TRX 850
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Mt09 Reply with quote

Rode the original mt09 and the f800r reminded me of it, the mt07 didn't have quite the same feel. Compared to a gsr750 both were too naked for distance. The BMX like riding position got tedious on long stretches of motorway. A little clever wind deflection goes a long way.

Kentol750
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:48 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Mt09 Reply with quote

Rode the original mt09 and the f800r reminded me of it, the mt07 didn't have quite the same feel. Compared to a gsr750 both were too naked for distance. The BMX like riding position got tedious on long stretches of motorway. A little clever wind deflection goes a long way.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:12 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm well out of it with new bikes these days and thank fuck I am.

Im hearing things in this thread, about how 4k might just bag you a tatty shabby KTM 990 or Early Mille RSV etc. For a weekend only bike that I really want to enjoy, I'd want the best example possible in the best condition possible. If my budget could only stretch to a tatty loose or abused bike what's the point of that?

I'd wager that if your after a fun weekend B-roads play thing on 2wheels or four, that you really want something well set up and fettled with a good spec, and that wants for nothing more than scheduled servicing, cleaning and petrol. Most peoples B-road play thing might only come out 6-12 times a year, and for a precious 2-4 hours free time etc. There's no time for shed tinkering, modifying, fettling or rebuilding things for most people.

I remember 10years ago when some people were buying tatty old Blades and GSXR's, ZX6R's etc. They ran em like the nails some were, and were disappointed with how meh or saggy, unresponsive and blunt they felt to ride. Today if I wanted a 90's Blade I'd want a fucking awesome one with fresh chassis bearings, suspension, and brakes and everything dialled in just right. You can write a bike off as naff if you never experience a razor sharp fully sorted example, and you'll never know what you missed out on either.

So if 4k today buys alot of past their best modern bikes, (seems crazy) I'd just jog on and instead of changing the budget I'd look for something that 4k would buy me a minter of that's been looked after or had a chunk of someone else's cash thrown into it to make it spot on a a nice sharp ride.

I just don't get the mentality of trying to buy the biggest or fastest or mostest bike for a set budget, if your likely to only get a shitter of an example. Its like saying do you want 150mph for £1000. No thank-you if it's a worn loose or dangerous shed that you'd not want to do 70mph on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MilesH
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 20:57 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies all Smile

I started to shorten the list and took a test ride on an MT09. Handled well and the Ohlins it was fitted with seemed decent and well set up. Riding position on the standard seat was awful for me and my plums were numb after half an hour! The throttle was snatchy in the more 'sporty' mode but fine in the others.

Nice bike with some positives. Not 100% sold on the look or seating position but I can't have everything my way....

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:01 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:

MCN tests are done in 1st gear, on one wheel, because they all have tiny, tiny, tiny penises, and compete with each other to see how farcically low a number they can concoct.

They have no connection with real world riding, unless your real world consists of spanking the arse off of someone else's bike on a sunny Sunday then handing it back with an empty tank.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
unless your real world consists of spanking the arse off of someone else's bike on a sunny Sunday then handing it back with an empty tank.

Standard test ride procedure tbh. Laughing

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:52 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

[quote="Rogerborg"][quote="Copycat73"]the MCN test quotes 42mpg ....[/quote]
MCN tests are done in 1st gear, on one wheel, because they all have tiny, [size=9]tiny[/size], [size=7][i]tiny [/i][/size]penises, and compete with each other to see how farcically low a number they can concoct.

They have no connection with real world riding, unless your real world consists of spanking the arse off of someone else's bike on a sunny Sunday then handing it back with an empty tank.[/quote]

When I tried the MT10 on a short run from Kilmarnock, sorn, muirkirk, strathaven, kilmarnock I could just about see the needle dropping.

Shifts like fuck but it really does drink like fuck too. I gave it some beans but didn't really thrash it as I don't have the skills to do so with that much power.

Edit:spelling. I really need to start checking stuff when I post ony phone.

Last edited by kgm on 10:21 - 01 May 2018; edited 1 time in total

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:01 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:

MCN tests are done in 1st gear, on one wheel, because they all have tiny, tiny, tiny penises, and compete with each other to see how farcically low a number they can concoct.

They have no connection with real world riding, unless your real world consists of spanking the arse off of someone else's bike on a sunny Sunday then handing it back with an empty tank.

True, but then if you're buying a bike on which to have some fun, mpg isn't going to be your main criteria anyway.
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:11 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Rogerborg wrote:

True, but then if you're buying a bike on which to have some fun, mpg isn't going to be your main criteria anyway.

I dunno - what's that big V Twin that struggles to do 100 miles to a tank, if you give it the beans, Honda or Suzuki?

Not being able to get to Brighton and back, without filling up again, would annoy me, to say the least.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:17 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

I dunno - what's that big V Twin that struggles to do 100 miles to a tank, if you give it the beans, Honda or Suzuki?

Not being able to get to Brighton and back, without filling up again, would annoy me, to say the least.

What's fun about going to Brighton Laughing
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:22 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

What's fun about going to Brighton Laughing[/quote]

Sod all, if you can't even get out of the place without stopping for petrol Wink

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:23 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firestorm FTW! Thumbs Up

You really can't expect anything with 48mm Carbs and a 16L tank to be a fuel sipper. Some might argue that a 90mile tank range is character, normally it's those that have never had to push one for miles on a hot day. Laughing

I only put 5litres in my 125 at a time, as my little brain couldn't work out pre-mix ratios for more than that. And I fill up every 30-40miles so eminently practical too!

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:28 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Copycat73 wrote:

Except for the MT-03 where they must have coasted with the engine off for half the journey.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:33 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:

What's fun about going to Brighton Laughing

Sod all, if you can't even get out of the place without stopping for petrol Wink

With the Street Triple, 90 miles of caning it would see me wanting a break anyway. We are referring to the same concept of 'fun' here, aren't we? I suspect not.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 22:59 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
but then if you're buying a bike on which to have some fun, mpg isn't going to be your main criteria anyway.

Oh, sure, and MCN fuel economy figures are the go-to resource for any rider who cares about how much fuel a bike uses when ridden by someone who doesn't care about how much fuel it uses.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:10 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
chickenstrip wrote:
but then if you're buying a bike on which to have some fun, mpg isn't going to be your main criteria anyway.

Oh, sure, and MCN fuel economy figures are the go-to resource for any rider who cares about how much fuel a bike uses when ridden by someone who doesn't care about how much fuel it uses.

Well, exactly. I think Confused
Why are we talking about fuel consumption in this thread at all?

Shaft
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 23:18 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

With the Street Triple, 90 miles of caning it would see me wanting a break anyway. We are referring to the same concept of 'fun' here, aren't we? I suspect not.

I've probably spent too many years trying to be frugal - I love my Corvette and I very well knew what I was getting into when I bought it, but it still grieves me that it doesn't take much effort to get the fuel consumption down to single figures.

I derive great pleasure from the fact that I've just bought a cheap Silver Wing and it's saved me 30 quid in petrol during the first week, compared to my Merc daily - maybe I shouldn't spend so much time worrying about the cost of fuel.

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:25 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

Shaft wrote:

I derive great pleasure from the fact that I've just bought a cheap Silver Wing and it's saved me 30 quid in petrol during the first week, compared to my Merc daily - maybe I shouldn't spend so much time worrying about the cost of fuel.

Well, no, for a commuter or everyday use bike, you're going to think about mpg. But if the OP has mentioned anything about it being important, then I've missed it. He says for fun B roads, £3-4k, and that's about it.

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 00:58 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:

It costs about 12quid to fill my bike. Same price as a couple of pints in the pub and a bag of chips. I know what's more
fun, banging through a whole tank of fuel in a couple of hours Bounce! If I needed to commute and could only
have one bike I'd have something more sedate than an MT09. Sooner or later I'd be in the side of a bus riding that to
work every day Laughing if I needed cheap reliable big bike transport, something like Rogers Nazi Tractor would probably fit
the bill. But I have to say for running errands and as a local (30 miles each way) commuter a scoot like my X-enter is a
cracking little thing, plenty quick enough in town 100mpg, not silly quick so won't kill my self on it using it as a daily
traffic buster. But if I were to be back on the earn in the traditional sense, I'd be using my van for work anyway because
I would have a lot of tools to lug about. So my bike can always be a plaything. Thumbs Up

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 07:54 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

With this thread, those of us lucky enough to have lived in their heyday will be mourning the demise of the 2T again. So I'd be looking for today's equivalent. The KTM390 sounds good on paper, but there's that reliability question again, as with all KTMs. Such a shame the OP found the Street Triple uncomfortable, because I really don't think there's a better alternative for fun on B roads. While the MT09 does sound a hoot, it does sound a little too much for that kind of scenario. It's not far off from litre-bike capability. But parallel twins generally lack that excitement.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 362 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3