Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
View previous topic : View next topic  

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:26 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Still backing the Tuono 1000.

It's a naked sports, it's got a horrific amount of oomph.

Is probably the only other fun bike I can think.of after a Street Triple.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:14 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
Still backing the Tuono 1000.

It's a naked sports, it's got a horrific amount of oomph.

Is probably the only other fun bike I can think.of after a Street Triple.

The Tuono twin is the only bike I've ridden that made laugh and giggle with genuine glee as I was riding it other than the tracer. That engine is great, but it takes more attention to ride it quickly than the Mt series IMO. I'm very tempted to pick one up at the moment but the Mrs is wanting me to spend the money on something she can jump on the back of.

bobbertandsam...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 10:27 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Monster for me, spend that cash on an original 900 and you'll be able to sell it on later with minimal losses too.

https://s6.postimg.cc/m6r1xtwap/IMG_0317.jpg

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:50 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobbertandsammy wrote:
Monster for me, spend that cash on an original 900 and you'll be able to sell it on later with minimal losses too.

just get raped wit the service costs in between .. cam belts .. cam followers ..

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:35 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tuono 1000 was an awesome ride, only thing i have had more road fun on was a Superduke R. They are solid and reliable and properly scary fast. I would have one over a MT series any day.

My current bike is a blast once modified properly, Dorsoduro 750 factory.
Its marmite looks but i bloody love it. It is by some margin the best handling naked bike i have ridden.

https://i.imgur.com/XCXKDNph.jpg

They need an exhaust and a remap to wake them up but once that is done they are brilliant. (emissions limits really messed these up )
I will be holding on to mine for a few years yet, until i can afford a 1290R.

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 16:58 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

chickenstrip wrote:
Why are we talking about fuel consumption in this thread at all?

That's... a good question. It seems like the sort of miserly, petty thing I'd bring up, but it turns out...

recman wrote:
The MT-10 was awesome but the mpg was shocking.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:11 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireyphoenix1989 wrote:

My current bike is a blast once modified properly, Dorsoduro 750 factory.

Very difficult to find in budget though, I've tried.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:18 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gave £3500 for mine with 5400miles on the clock so they are about.Just a git to find as they are uncommon. Only about 100 on the roads atm going off sorn numbers ect.

Also yeah the MT10s are shocking on fuel.My mate was getting mid 20s
mpg from his. They are fine until you wind them on then they just seem drink gallons.
Seems like an odd thing to complain about until you are breaking your 3rd £20 note on a single ride.
On the same ride i was spending £24 just over 2 tanks worth at between 45 and 52mpg average.

kgm
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:27 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireyphoenix1989 wrote:
I gave £3500 for mine with 5400miles on the clock so they are about.Just a git to find as they are uncommon. Only about 100 on the roads atm going off sorn numbers ect.

Good buy. I've had another look and there are a couple but very far away from me unfortunately.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:31 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

fireyphoenix1989 wrote:
Also yeah the MT10s are shocking on fuel.My mate was getting mid 20s
mpg from his. They are fine until you wind them on then they just seem drink gallons.

Ah, that'll be the problem then. Twisted Evil
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

chickenstrip
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 17:45 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

fireyphoenix1989 wrote:
Seems like an odd thing to complain about until you are breaking your 3rd £20 note on a single ride.

If it's that bad, then I guess it is a point worth considering.

Btw...no, I'm going to resist....no, I'm not: shouldn't it be fieryphoenix1989? Razz
Chickenystripgeezer's Biking Life (Latest update 19/10/18) Belgium, France, Italy, Austria tour 2016 Picos de Europa, Pyrenees and French Alps tour 2017 Scotland Trip 1, now with BONUS FEATURE edit, 5/10/19, on page 2 Scotland Trip 2 Luxembourg, Black Forest, Switzerland, Vosges Trip 2017
THERE'S MILLIONS OF CHICKENSTRIPS OUT THERE!

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 17:54 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aye i mean im not fussed about using a lot of fuel myself, my fireblade was hardly frugal. but when the only other bike needing 3 tanks worth on a run is our other mates firestorm you know the 10s bloody thirsty haha.

Yes it should be spelled that way you are right, but that was taken when i created my old live account and i have just used this since.
Close enough for me and always accepts rather than me having 50 different user names for all the forums ect i use Razz.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:21 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
bobbertandsammy wrote:

just get raped wit the service costs in between .. cam belts .. cam followers ..

You know services aren't actually that expensive...

stonesie
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:49 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
Copycat73 wrote:
the MCN test quotes 42mpg ....

MCN tests are done in 1st gear, on one wheel, because they all have tiny, tiny, tiny penises, and compete with each other to see how farcically low a number they can concoct.

I ride like a man in a hurry but have a smooth riding style and have never got the MT-10 above 40mpg, down into the 20's with repeated passes over the mountain course on the IOM last year. Usually in the mid 30's.

The only way I can think of is to remove all fun by setting the cruise at 70 and grinding out the miles on the motorway... That is what the Honda is for (Civic 2.2 diesel).

bobbertandsam...
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 08:54 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copycat73 wrote:
bobbertandsammy wrote:

DIY mate, not hard at all.

pig hog
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 13:35 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:

I ride like a man in a hurry but have a smooth riding style and have never got the MT-10 above 40mpg, down into the 20's with repeated passes over the mountain course on the IOM last year. Usually in the mid 30's.

The only way I can think of is to remove all fun by setting the cruise at 70 and grinding out the miles on the motorway... That is what the Honda is for (Civic 2.2 diesel).

Yeah, mine seems to be doing about 38mpg on a good day. I feel like the petrol station is fast becoming like a second home to me.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 14:43 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

stonesie wrote:

Yeah, mine seems to be doing about 38mpg on a good day. I feel like the petrol station is fast becoming like a second home to me.

I feel that.
I was getting average of 45 mpg today.
Decent huh.

...My dorso750 tank is only 2 gal to reserve then 0.6 reserve fuel. I get good mpg but i still need a fuel stop after 90 miles most days.

Why are small tanks on road bikes a thing Thumbs Down .

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 15:15 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

fireyphoenix1989 wrote:
Why are small tanks on road bikes a thing Thumbs Down .

Because people keep buying them.

Gonnae no?

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 16:19 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do get that, its just bloody annoying haha seems to be common lookign across most models the last 10 years tho.
I would gladly take the small weight penalty for a sensible 20/25L tank capacity any day myself.

craigT19
Jolly Green Giant

PostPosted: 17:52 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an MT10 and dont spend my life in petrol stations or at 20mpg etc, if you wind it up it drinks... if you dont it doesn't like pretty much every other bike.
Ive had 2 R1's and honestly its slightly better on fuel than the 2012 and slightly worse than the 2006, i see about 45mpg avg on a motorway or a decent fast a road run and about 32 doing stop start stuff, worst ive had was 22ish on a track day.

Anyways back on topic if your after a reasonably new bike for the things you said for about 3-4k? go for a mt07 or a z750 or summin along those lines. Mt09 is a good bike but im not sure what kinda 09 you would get for your money and personally I didnt "click" with it so after riding the 07 and the 09 back to back i bought the 07.

If you dont mind going abit older and would prefer to have some change rattling around in your pocket I would be tempted to look at something along the lines of a sv1000, fz1, hornet 900 or even the big Triumphs the names of which i forget Rolling Eyes.
Honestly if you go a little older with your budget you can pretty much get anything u want Smile Thumbs Up

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:17 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

MilesH wrote:
What would you buy with £3-4k? - non sports bike, ideally upright(ish) riding position, used weekends for fun B road rides.

(No STR allowed as been there).

Give me ideas chaps I'm struggling.....

Easy.

A 2008 Kawasaki Z750.

One of the most fun and enjoyable hoons around the lanes was aboard my mates one. Bright orange it was and definitely did not have any chicken strips after a 'balls deep' lap around the Camber roads.. Mr. Green Don't get the later 2012 one, with the 20kg weight increase, get the Gen 2 which is lighter and rewards committed riding.

Great fun Thumbs Up

MilesH
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 21:22 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

Kris wrote:
MilesH wrote:
What would you buy with £3-4k? - non sports bike, ideally upright(ish) riding position, used weekends for fun B road rides.

(No STR allowed as been there).

Give me ideas chaps I'm struggling.....

Easy.

A 2008 Kawasaki Z750.

One of the most fun and enjoyable hoons around the lanes was aboard my mates one. Bright orange it was and definitely did not have any chicken strips after a 'balls deep' lap around the Camber roads.. Mr. Green Don't get the later 2012 one, with the 20kg weight increase, get the Gen 2 which is lighter and rewards committed riding.

Great fun Thumbs Up

My concern with this and the Z800 was always the weight (and its effect on handling) compared to its rivals.

Are the early Z750's a lot lighter? And is it 2008-2011 that are classed as 'lighter' bikes?

bacon
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:08 - 26 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigT19 wrote:
Mt09 is a good bike but im not sure what kinda 09 you would get for your money and personally I didnt "click" with it so after riding the 07 and the 09 back to back i bought the 07.

eBay item 253584466893

30k mile MT09 for £3.5k, seems bloody cheap tbf...

As for older bikes, I agree, consider everything, £4k gets you so much choice in the >10yr old market.

In fact, until my current mt09, and a couple of years ago a street triple, everything I have owned has been under £4k and I've never been short on choice

Kris
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:10 - 26 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Non sports bike, Upright (ish), Fun B road, £3-4K bike? Reply with quote

MilesH wrote:

My concern with this and the Z800 was always the weight (and its effect on handling) compared to its rivals.

Are the early Z750's a lot lighter? And is it 2008-2011 that are classed as 'lighter' bikes?

I'm talking about this one:

https://www.visordown.com/reviews/motorcycles/naked/kawasaki-z750-2007-present

Quote:
Rewards committed riding, strong brakes resist fade well.

Mr. Green Thumbs Up

MilesH
Two Stroke Sniffer

PostPosted: 22:00 - 05 May 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the concensus on the FZ8?
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 349 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3