Nearly had an off. Close call.

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat Goto page Previous  1, 2
View previous topic : View next topic  

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:20 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Polarbear wrote:

Has anyone ever been done for spilling diesel though?

The amount it happens is still criminal although I don't see it as much nowadays. Have they finally worked out how to stop lorries spilling it?

A recent change is that if the police or VOSA find a commercial vehicle with a defective or missing fuel cap, instead of issuing a rectification notice, it is not allowed to continue its journey until it's been sorted. So it's upped the ante from something the driver notices but is prepared to take a chance on getting a small fine for to something that WILL leave him and his vehicle stranded in a VOSA inspection bay with a trailer full of rotting cabbages until someone vans out a new fuel cap.

TheGazWaz
Nitrous Nuisance

PostPosted: 11:29 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been having nightmares about being hunted by POO ever since Shocked

Just to clear up, I'm definately not a noob. I've been riding for some time now on all sorts of bikes.

When I mentioned about 'learning to ride' I was talking specifically about my GSXR1000 as I've only had her for a few months and I'm just working her out.

I certainly wouldn't recommend an inexperienced rider jump on a GSXR600 let alone 1000.

I'm experienced enough to get round any course at an adiquate pace.

However, I don't yet have the experience or confidence on this bike yet to be pushing it the way I have been. the bike is so tuned and handles so well it gives you that confidence but it's easy to get c0cky with it.

If I didn't panic when the POO attacked me I would have probably gone round the corner fine with no incident. I was only doing 20 and I wasn't leaning that much.

I just had a moment.
Went like this.. 43 years old(2013) decided to do CBT to get a 125 for new job. Bought 2011 YBR, loved it for three months then hated it because it was too god damn slow. Did DAS 4 months later then bought RF600 Loved it, sold it bought Bandit 1200(K3). EFFIN lOVED IT. Wanted something a bit more sporty so got Triumph Sprint ST 955i (53). Not sporty enough so now on my GSXR 1000 K3 and absolutely love it. 1 year down the line, nearly died way too many times on this bike. Sold it. Had a 6 month break. Missed biking so now, Aug 2019 have a 1999 ZX9r. What a beauty she is too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

MarJay
But it's British!

PostPosted: 11:44 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Nearly had an off. Close call. Reply with quote

goto10 wrote:
TheGazWaz wrote:
Before this incident I'd been happily flying round corners without any knowledge of what might be round the other side... a stationery car...

https://i.imgur.com/jr9XkH4.jpg

That is my exact sense of humour right now! Bwahahaha! Very Happy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:21 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speedy23 wrote:
M.C wrote:

I'm always perplexed by this. I've braked mid-corner loads of times (even as a 125 noob) and never had the bike stand-up.
....but you have....it's just that on a 125, the gyroscopic forces resulting from accelerations that twist the bike around its longitudinal axis are comparitively small and you probably wouldn't notice it if you weren't looking for it.....if you can find a quiet roundabout, try riding round it at a constant speed and then (GENTLY) roll off and apply the brakes. You will feel the bike try to sit up.

Obvs. effect is amplified with bigger, more massive tires and wheels and greater velocity change.....but, as a prominent Scottish engineer once said, "ye canna change the laws of physics"......

Never had it happen on a big bike either but I'm more careful braking mid-corner (if I need to) at lower speeds due to the weight. I don't really care what the bike wants to do, you're not a passenger Very Happy

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:56 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Panic reactions are odd things. For the most part operating a motor vehicle is an unconcious task. You're not concious of every action you perform, but are (to some extent) concious of higher level decisions like whether is's safe to proceed a junction or is a stop required. But in an oh shit moment there's a concious decision to make an evasion and if you're not aware of how you need to move you can do the wrong thing. I had a moment of going straight on because panic brain didn't know how to ride, and I took the time to practice concious counter steering.

For the first few years of bike ownership I used to do an emergency stop on the cul de sac on my way out or on my way back so I was intimately familiar with getting a baby cruiser with lacklustre tyres and breaks to stop. These days I'm working on braking into and through corners where there is a much bigger risk ofdropping the bike. I'd just got a new front tyre on last week and had to break hard leant hard over on a roundabout due to an incident ahead of me and was quite surprised it held on. The new PR5 front seems to be good pretty much straight away.

Stopping distance at 30 acording to the DVSA is not that far, 23 metres and in ideal conditions even a fairly soft bike can stop short of that in good conditions. I don't think the distance you can see to be clear rule is particularly awkward in the really twisty stuff if you know how to get your bike stopped in a hurry. That said I got properly sideways at about 15mph on what turned out to be a farm track my satnav decided an efficient way across lincolnshire.

However with enthusiastic riding braking distances can get quite high. At 60mph the DVSA figure is i think 70 metres, but at 70 it's about a hundred metres and ton-up it's twice that. A modern car with ABS and emergency brake assist (i don't know how common it is, but my 14 year old pov-spec polo has it and it's mighty disconcerting when it kicks in and the pedal drops away from you) can panic stop faster than most riders can safely achieve simply from the virtue of being able to stand on the pedal without fear of locked wheels and the likey falling off that will follow.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:34 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

talkToTheHat wrote:
However with enthusiastic riding braking distances can get quite high. At 60mph the DVSA figure is i think 70 metres, but at 70 it's about a hundred metres and ton-up it's twice that. A modern car with ABS and emergency brake assist (i don't know how common it is, but my 14 year old pov-spec polo has it and it's mighty disconcerting when it kicks in and the pedal drops away from you) can panic stop faster than most riders can safely achieve simply from the virtue of being able to stand on the pedal without fear of locked wheels and the likey falling off that will follow.

And having 4 contact patches + disc brakes (unless really shit/old car) including rears that actually do something.

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:24 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

i had a similar thing once but it was a brick in the road

I managed to avoid it but mate behind me didn't

two instant blow outs and two cracked wheels

how he managed to keep the bike upright I will never know

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 10:04 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:

Because he diodn't panic, kept looking where he wanted to go and had a loose grip on the bars and kept riding the bike until it stopped?

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:49 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
andyscooter wrote:

Because he diodn't panic, kept looking where he wanted to go and had a loose grip on the bars and kept riding the bike until it stopped?

think it was more luck then judgement

ended up on the grass verge which when the wheels dug in it stopped very quickly

derillius24
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 11:04 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rides a litre superbike like a 'lunatic', allegedly, but target fixates and fails to adapt a line while bimbling round a bend at 20mph Thinking .

Get over yourself. And you didn't nearly die.

If you want to better yourself then there's plenty of good reading material out there, track based tuition, videos to watch etc. I may be mistaken, but from your original post you make out that you're quite new to this lark (you mention lack of experience/ learning to ride your bike etc). If that's the case, why are you riding a GSXR1000? Maybe consider getting something friendlier, with wide bars that'll be a kinder mistress and friendlier teacher than a snarling superbike with clip-ons.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 334 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2