Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Pinlock Alternatives?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat
View previous topic : View next topic  

Panda1909
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 20:08 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Pinlock Alternatives? Reply with quote

So I've just bought a Bell Qualifier DLX, but it's not Pinlock ready.

Does anyone know of any more permanent alternatives to the pinlock, other than lather, rinse and repeating the shaving foam trick?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

wristjob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:27 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

buy one of the many pinlock ready visors for that lid.
sorted

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:36 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Universal pinlock.

Kawasaki Jimbo
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:46 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're steaming up in this warm weather you've got problems. A new, scratch-free and clean visor shouldn't steam up significantly. All those ghetto treatments (shaving foam, potato, Fairy Liquid) really only aim to clean the visor, and any cleaning material residue is just going to cause fogging. Clean it all off. I wash with Fairy Liquid in the sink, then rinse and dry, or wipe with the cheapest Tesco wipes. I mean the solventy-ones (iso-propanol?) not the obviously soapy ones which are just going to leave s residue.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Panda1909
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:27 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

wristjob wrote:
buy one of the many pinlock ready visors for that lid.
sorted

I bought the DLX specifically due to the Transition Visor, as i commute to uni and ride there in the day and back at night, this negates the need for me to carry multiple visors.

at the time I didn't realise that it wasn't pinlock ready

Panda1909
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 22:30 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kawasaki Jimbo wrote:
If you're steaming up in this warm weather you've got problems. A new, scratch-free and clean visor shouldn't steam up significantly. All those ghetto treatments (shaving foam, potato, Fairy Liquid) really only aim to clean the visor, and any cleaning material residue is just going to cause fogging. Clean it all off. I wash with Fairy Liquid in the sink, then rinse and dry, or wipe with the cheapest Tesco wipes. I mean the solventy-ones (iso-propanol?) not the obviously soapy ones which are just going to leave s residue.

Thanks, at the moment it's fine (Due to both the factory coating and weather) But I was wanting something to put on before it got to the point where it steams up constantly.

fireyphoenix1...
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 23:22 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fogtech is the best treatment i have found.

Proper solution is a stick in pinlock universal.I used them for 2 years with my K2 black visor.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:53 - 20 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy a Pinlock visor.

Or ask Pinlock if they sell kits ro fit to a pin-less visor.
https://pinlock.com/contact/

They are good at responding to questions.

ocatoro
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:52 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

invision hypershield or proshield... used them on all my helmets and they have been great.

LINK

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:37 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

ocatoro wrote:
invision hypershield or proshield... used them on all my helmets and they have been great.

LINK

They look great if you can get one. 😂

owl
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 04:04 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pinlock? You need RainPal! Saves many lives

Panda1909
Borekit Bruiser

PostPosted: 12:48 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I've ordered one of the Universal Pinlocks

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:54 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

vice wrote:
Pinlock? You need RainPal! Saves many lives

Marked: Underrated as SPAM.

Smile

Ste for MOD soon.. Smile

Arfa__
Traffic Copper

PostPosted: 19:42 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

A while ago Raleri sent me some of their FogStop visor inserts to review on me blog. I thought they were alright and a reasonable alternative to Pinlock. No longer use my Bell lid, but the daughter still uses one of these in her lid. Very similar to Pinlock, but with sticky adhesive to stick to your current visor.

https://www.beginnerbiker.com/2015/01/raleri-visor-inserts-review-fogstop-photochromatic-pcshade
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website You must be logged in to rate posts

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:41 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fog City used a stick on insert and they were good.
But fitting was permanent as the glue cannot be removed from the visor.
Not sure if you would bother but if you use a dark visor for daytime and carry a clear for dark time being able to swap the insert is handy. I have two visors but bought public is for both too. 😎

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 09:46 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use clarity defog-it to prevent my glasses from fogging up. On cold winter days I also use it on the visor, otherwise the visor may fog up in traffic despite the pinlock

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/my-review-of-anti-fog-solutions-clarity-defogit-the-best-by-far.1208467/

YMMV - I have tried lots of alternatives and this works best for me. Since a local optician stopped stocking it, I have been ordering it directly from the US manufacturer.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:16 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Londoner2015 wrote:
I use clarity defog-it to prevent my glasses from fogging up. On cold winter days I also use it on the visor, otherwise the visor may fog up in traffic despite the pinlock

https://advrider.com/index.php?threads/my-review-of-anti-fog-solutions-clarity-defogit-the-best-by-far.1208467/

YMMV - I have tried lots of alternatives and this works best for me. Since a local optician stopped stocking it, I have been ordering it directly from the US manufacturer.

Could be an alternative to Rainpal. Smile

We do ship internationally, but at this time do not process international orders via this website. Please contact us at 1.216.447.1199 to place your order.

What? They don't use email?

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 13:17 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I ordered, they weren't really set up as an e-commerce website catering to final customers abroad. I got the impression they sold mostly to US distributors. I called, placed an order for 2 boxes, and paid via TransferWise, so as not to be raped by credit card exchange fees. I ordered about 12-15 months ago and I still haven't finished the two boxes. Oh, I had to pay for VAT import. Amazon UK and ebay did sell some, but they were way more expensive

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 14:14 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not in UK right now. (4 hrs ahead of GMT) But im going to call them.
Bit No Email? 😲

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:15 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Decent lid with a decent front vent does not need pinlock. Shark Race R does not fog.

Londoner2015
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 17:19 - 25 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xlite x702 gt has a thingy that keeps the lid 1mm open, just enough for some air to flow through and help against fogging.

Shark Spartan Carbon does not. In city traffic in the winter, I do feel the difference, even with Pinlock.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 360 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> General Bike Chat All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1