Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Picked the nipper's new bike - Mash 50

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:38 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Picked the nipper's new bike - Mash 50 Reply with quote

... roll on October when she can take her cbt and get out on the road..

That should be a formality, she's a natural Thumbs Up

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/dsc02567.jpg

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/dsc02570.jpg

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/dsc02572.jpg

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:02 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please say that's a 125 and not a heavy for a moped four stroke manual box 50cc bike you bought for her?

If it's the latter then why?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:06 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a 50, hence Mash 50. I would have thought it obvious why she's got a 50. She's only 16 in October. And to be fair, once I derestrict it it will have a top speed of 50, ample for most roads she's likely to use it on.

Oh, and she chose it, she wanted a geared bike, not a chavtastic scooter

When I get her a 125 in a year and a bit, may well keep the Mash and take it with the motorhome, and the missus can also ride it, without having to retake her cbt thanks to licence grandfather rights

To be fair, the 30mile home trip from the dealer was a very pleasant ride, even though the nipper was on as a pillion.

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:12 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just assumed it was some silly Chinq name to sound like a 50's bobber era bike.

So brand new four stroke air cooled 50cc motorcycles exist? I didn't know this.

And what exactly is there to de-restrict on such an engine to allow 50mph?

I'd have said just wait a year and get a 125, or else buy a plastic twist and go smoker.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 19:26 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
And what exactly is there to de-restrict on such an engine to allow 50mph?

Increase it to 80cc.

There is no way a 4 stroke 50cc will touch 50mph.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:38 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK..

Right, the destriction is easy, simply disconnect a wire that's attached to a plug on the cdi (I know which to do), as we only picked the bike up today I haven't got round to taking the seat off to do this. When riding the bike home, you could feel when the restriction kicks in in each gear, ultimately restricting you to 28MPH (40KPH) in 4th. There's plenty of info around showing the top speed when the restriction is removed.

To be fair, even when I derestricted my nephews Direct Bikes scooter, that comfortably makes 40-45mph, and that engine is nothing like the Mash's

Also, why oh why would I get her a clapped out 2t smoker, doesn't appeal to either my daughter, or me. If i'm going to get my daughter a bike, I'll buy her new, as then I know exactly how it's been looked after and maintained, besides it's not a particularly expensive bike. I'm also happy she chose a Mash, as my 400 is getting close to 3 years old, and apart from normal servicing, nothing has need to be replaced, aside from the battery, and there is still no noticeable corrosion, not even after this winter and the excessive amount of road salt around.

As for a plastic twist & go, I've already said, she doesn't want a chavtastic spastic charriot, she want a bike with gears, and of all the ones she's looked at & sat on, the Mash has always been top of her list, so, why should I get her to change her mind, or, why should I put her off riding in the first place.

J4mes
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks great, hope she enjoys it Thumbs Up

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:13 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might touch 50 downhill. It won't do it on the flat.

Nice looking little bike though.

wr6133
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:58 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

To be fair, even when I derestricted my nephews Direct Bikes scooter, that comfortably makes 40-45mph, and that engine is nothing like the Mash's

Laughing indicated maybe. To get a genuine 45+ from a Chinese 4 stroke ped motor I had to BBK it, replace the variator, clutch, carb, exhaust and head.

Bike looks nice.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:39 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a GPS 70mph out of a 107cc Chinese c90 copy engine.

Did have a pointy cam and stiff springs in it.

Clutch did fall of the end of the crank shortly afterwards. Laughing

pepperami
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 22:36 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool little bike Thumbs Up

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:43 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I assumed she'd want a cheap means to an end, if road riding and experience at 16 is that important. Im not a chavtastic spastic fanboy, but they are cheap and easy to use then sell or scrap when your done with it.

I don't get how involving and good experience a 3bhp? Four stroke 49cc engine with 4-5gear changes to reach 30mph approx, and doubtful ability to make any more power or reach much extra speed for safe transport in urban zones.
I also figured you or her would want a cheap scoot to minimise cost and gain road experience before buying a new bike in a years time with a reasonable level of performance.

Are you or her happy with the probable low re-sale value a new 50cc bike will likely have in 12month's, as it'll be no use after your kids 17th birthday in most cases. Im hoping a 50cc four stroke Chinese engine won't chew up its internals in that time but I ain't gonna bet on it still being running by then.

Aside from that these Mash things seem to be one of the success stories of chinqy machinery. You'd have to take a clean/restored late 80's- early 90's Jap 125 from over my dead smashed body though to give me one.

garth
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:02 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Im hoping a 50cc four stroke Chinese engine won't chew up its internals in that time but I ain't gonna bet on it still being running by then

Might be surprised.

Again, c90 copy - but I've taken a brand new chinky engine out the crate and then ridden it absolutely flat out for 8 hours straight around a racetrack. It didn't even burn any oil.

I also rode a Chinese bike to Africa through the Sahara desert. It was fine.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 00:57 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:

Are you or her happy with the probable low re-sale value a new 50cc bike will likely have in 12month's, as it'll be no use after your kids 17th birthday in most cases.

OK, well, personally I don't care what the resale value is, also, if you'd read what I'd put, I'd already stated when she gets a 125, we'll probably keep it and use it with the motorhome, especially as teh missus can ride it on her am license entitlement.

stevo as b4 wrote:

Im hoping a 50cc four stroke Chinese engine won't chew up its internals in that time but I ain't gonna bet on it still being running by then.

Aside from that these Mash things seem to be one of the success stories of chinqy machinery.

Sleeping Sleeping Sleeping Sleeping

Really, still harping on with outdated comments about chinese engines. I have never had a chinese engine much on it's internals, even going as far back as when I had a Chituma CTM125, and I have no reason whatsosever to believe that this will chew up it's internals either.

stevo as b4 wrote:

You'd have to take a clean/restored late 80's- early 90's Jap 125 from over my dead smashed body though to give me one.

Does that restoration include a bodged brake caliper weld... And you wonder why I prefer to buy new ..

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 08:52 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks nice that OP! Hope she enjoys.

On a separate note, she'll have neck muscles like Bruce Banner after racking up a few miles wearing that lid. The biggest jump in riding enjoyment I’ve had was ditching my Aikido and buying a quality lid.

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:05 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who posts a photo of their daughter on BCF is incredibly brave. Shocked

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 09:08 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Google thinks your daughter looks like a warship. Shocked

https://i.imgur.com/jG8sH6q.png

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 19:44 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I think it looks cool as fuck and is a hell of a step up from the 2-speed Tomos I had when I was 16.

What I like about it is it has some road presence, I reckon people will be less inclined to take the piss than if they see a lassie on a twist and go. Providing you can persuade her not to ride it in the gutter.

Funky OHC end cover like the points cover on 70's hondas.

I'd probably get her some new jeans though, those ones are fucked.

recman
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 21:34 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Well I think it looks cool as fuck.

I have to agree. There is a bit of style there as opposed to the ybr/cbf types.

Whole thing takes me back to the time when my daughter was briefly on two wheels.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:51 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bozzy. wrote:
... Bruce Banner after racking up a few miles wearing that lid.

Haha, I'll mention it to her, again, her choice of helmet, and she's had that 1 now for what must be 3 years now. She's been coming on the back of my bikes since she was 2

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:54 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:

I'd probably get her some new jeans though, those ones are fucked.

Yeah, she's got some proper bike trousers, but, it was too hot on Saturday !! lol.

Anyhow, picked her up some Kevlar armoured jeans yesterday @ Bike4Life

Thumbs Up

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 08:34 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Y she no glove?

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:43 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

grr666 wrote:
Y she no glove?

Because when coming home from picking the bike up, we got to McD's to have a break, she took her gloves off, and then couldn't get them back on because her hands had got sweaty, and we didn't have any of her 'spare' gloves with us. At the car park where she had a go, can't really get much quicker than about 15-20mph, especially as it was here first time using gears. So, not really much different to push bike speeds.

The good thing about that car park, is that the access road, when not hosting pikeys, is ideal for practicing turns in the road, getting up to 'normal' riding speed and practicing emergency stops. There's also a decent incline to practice hill starts on.

B5234FT
Brolly Dolly

PostPosted: 09:26 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shes 16, will likely mainly ride in town and at 16 I'd certainly rather have had 50cc than 0cc. Why everyone is saying a 125 is faster when she cant legally ride one I have no idea, does the same apply to 125s and A2 licensees? May as well just not bother until your mid 20s Rolling Eyes

Personally, as long as shes the sensible type and wont end up potatoed, then its a really cool thing you've done Thumbs Up

You might want to buy her some new jeans though, fuck falling off the way shes dressed, even at 20mph.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:01 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

B5234FT wrote:
Shes 16, will likely mainly ride in town and at 16 I'd certainly rather have had 50cc than 0cc. Why everyone is saying a 125 is faster when she cant legally ride one I have no idea, does the same apply to 125s and A2 licensees? May as well just not bother until your mid 20s Rolling Eyes

Personally, as long as shes the sensible type and wont end up potatoed, then its a really cool thing you've done Thumbs Up

You might want to buy her some new jeans though, fuck falling off the way shes dressed, even at 20mph.

I agree, she's wearing a decent bike jacket & boots already in teh photo, she does also have decent bike trousers, and, as of yesterday a couple of pairs of kevlar armoured jeans Thumbs Up
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3