BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Picked the nipper's new bike - Mash 50

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Moo.
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:31 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome! I had an old Honda SS50 as my first bike was great fun!

Hope she enjoys it!

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:41 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool bike, nicely proportioned. Looks like a 125 rather than a 50.
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:16 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Bozzy. wrote:
... Bruce Banner after racking up a few miles wearing that lid.

Haha, I'll mention it to her, again, her choice of helmet, and she's had that 1 now for what must be 3 years now. She's been coming on the back of my bikes since she was 2

If she’s happy with it that’s the main thing. I changed mine because the padding gave way and ended up with an HJC RPHA 11, which really is night and day better* in every way. At the risk of sounding like I’m over exaggerating, it was eye opening.

*Apart from the SHARP rating, but don’t get me started on that!

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:26 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it looks cool, but that won't hit 50, you'll be down a very long hill and laying down to indicate it, but when I was 17 I wanted a bike. Any bike. 60mph on a 10hp Honda was fine Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 09:20 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I think it looks cool, but that won't hit 50, you'll be down a very long hill and laying down to indicate it, but when I was 17 I wanted a bike. Any bike. 60mph on a 10hp Honda was fine Laughing

Haha, you're probably right, but I'll be happy that it can reach 40, as the upper speed limit for most of the roads she's likely to use it on, once she's done her cbt.

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 12:53 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly, and to be honest... I can't really see a better 50 on the road, you've or peds or over priced race reps.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

fatjames
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 13:47 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the look of that bike! I hope she enjoys it Smile

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 14:09 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Sorry, I assumed she'd want a cheap means to an end, if road riding and experience at 16 is that important. Im not a chavtastic spastic fanboy, but they are cheap and easy to use then sell or scrap when your done with it.

I don't get how involving and good experience a 3bhp? Four stroke 49cc engine with 4-5gear changes to reach 30mph approx, and doubtful ability to make any more power or reach much extra speed for safe transport in urban zones.
I also figured you or her would want a cheap scoot to minimise cost and gain road experience before buying a new bike in a years time with a reasonable level of performance.

Are you or her happy with the probable low re-sale value a new 50cc bike will likely have in 12month's, as it'll be no use after your kids 17th birthday in most cases. Im hoping a 50cc four stroke Chinese engine won't chew up its internals in that time but I ain't gonna bet on it still being running by then.

Aside from that these Mash things seem to be one of the success stories of chinqy machinery. You'd have to take a clean/restored late 80's- early 90's Jap 125 from over my dead smashed body though to give me one.

I'm not sure why you seem to be trying to dissuade OP from buying a bike that has clearly already been purchased. I guess everyone is entitled to your opinion though.

Looks like a good choice as an introduction to motorcycles at 16. Even if it's no faster than a ped, it'll have more road presence and handle better.

ride_to_die
Crazy Courier

PostPosted: 14:18 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bike looks pretty decent Thumbs Up

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:10 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Congrats!

Just picked up a (barely) used Lexmoto Hunter 50 for my daughter. She also refused to have an automatic scooter. Very Happy

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/hunter.jpg

I looked at the Mash but couldn't stretch the budget to that Wink

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:19 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evil Hans wrote:
Congrats!

Just picked up a (barely) used Lexmoto Hunter 50 for my daughter. She also refused to have an automatic scooter. Very Happy

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/hunter.jpg

I looked at the Mash but couldn't stretch the budget to that Wink

Fair play Thumbs Up Almost got my daughter 1 of them, that was until she sat on the Mash at Motorcycle Live at the NEC. Also, as I have a Mash 400, that is now nearly 3 years old, and I haven't had a single problem with it, couldn't argue with her too much.

Glad your daughter has gone down the geared route as well, hope she enjoys it Thumbs Up Very Happy

Evil Hans
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:30 - 27 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:
Glad your daughter has gone down the geared route as well, hope she enjoys it Thumbs Up Very Happy

Cheers!

As you've probably discovered, there wasn't a massive choice of geared 50's. I know in many ways a scoot would have been better, but she really wasn't keen ... she wanted to look like a biker Very Happy

I can't really complain - I would have said exactly the same thing 30 odd years ago if my Dad had tried to make me ride a Tomos. My Simson Enduro was awesome in comparison Wink

She's already got all the gear as she's been a pillion on mine for a while, but we might splash out on a new helmet.

But yeah, we're thinking along similar lines to you, in a year or so Mrs Hans and Hans Jr will probably swap bikes, then Mrs Hans won't have to renew her CBT Very Happy

Hahadumball
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:33 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

roll on october Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:06 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What would you have ideally liked me to say to OP then to keep everyone happy and fluffy? Is this back to the world where you can only give praise, encouragement and positive comments about anything, anyone or an item bought no matter how good or bad?

Do you remember years ago in car road tests where journalists were looked after and given hospitality, vehicles to use, and invited to party's and corporate events, so that they'd say nice things about a car, no matter if it was bloody awful? There's a best and worst in every class, and subjective criticism and comments has made the world better, and products more competitive than an anything will do era we once had.

Not sure what you want saying to people on a forum, or what the right response is to everyone all of the time. If you want to enlighten me or educate me in how to be then please feel free.

I actually hope OP's little kid enjoys her 50cc bike on the road and gets fun, useful transport and memories from it. Its not my choice of 50cc bike but didn't know what is the correct one to like?

At 16 I skipped having a ped, I just didn't need one and I knew 125's were much better bikes and often better made (Japanese mainly). But the kid in my class with a tatty yellow Yamaha passola got to school just as quick as the ones with AR50's, MBX's etc.

At 17 and with 125cc there was much more scope to buy a good or a bad bike, and there was actually alot more choice and difference in how they went, handled and looked.

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 16:14 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP,

Just out of interest, I notice that you’ve had a fair few Chinese bikes in your history. I’m just wondering what the reason for this is, and also how you’ve found them? Both in terms of reliability and how they’ve ridden?

I’m not having a pop, but genuinely interested. I’ve heard a lot of negative comments regarding Chinese bikes so I’m interested to hear what your thoughts are on the subject, and whether you believe the negative comments are justified?

Thumbs Up

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 17:57 - 28 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
What would you have ideally liked me to say to OP then to keep everyone happy and fluffy? Is this back to the world where you can only give praise, encouragement and positive comments about anything, anyone or an item bought no matter how good or bad?

Do you remember years ago in car road tests where journalists were looked after and given hospitality, vehicles to use, and invited to party's and corporate events, so that they'd say nice things about a car, no matter if it was bloody awful? There's a best and worst in every class, and subjective criticism and comments has made the world better, and products more competitive than an anything will do era we once had.

Not sure what you want saying to people on a forum, or what the right response is to everyone all of the time. If you want to enlighten me or educate me in how to be then please feel free.

I actually hope OP's little kid enjoys her 50cc bike on the road and gets fun, useful transport and memories from it. Its not my choice of 50cc bike but didn't know what is the correct one to like?

At 16 I skipped having a ped, I just didn't need one and I knew 125's were much better bikes and often better made (Japanese mainly). But the kid in my class with a tatty yellow Yamaha passola got to school just as quick as the ones with AR50's, MBX's etc.

At 17 and with 125cc there was much more scope to buy a good or a bad bike, and there was actually alot more choice and difference in how they went, handled and looked.

Your previous post did look a little doom-and-gloom to be fair!

Not that I think your opinion is wrong. Of course a 125 is better than a 50. Just like a 250 is better than a 125 I suppose!

Still, she’ll be able to ride past the bus wankers giving them the Middle Finger

Wish I’d have had that opportunity at 16!

-Monty-
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:09 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Is this back to the world where you can only give praise, encouragement and positive comments about anything, anyone or an item bought no matter how good or bad?

Not at all. I just can't see the point in criticising the OP and trying to tell him why it's a bad bike, after he has clearly already bought it. What do you think he was going to do after reading your post? Take the bike back and demand a full refund?

andyscooter
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:24 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

to be fair op you may as well have bought a 125 if you are derestricting

laws broken will be the same Shocked

cant believe no one else said it Shocked Shocked

stevo as b4
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:19 - 29 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thing is Andy, that OP's daughter doesn't look the type to be pulling wheelies outside the chip shop past a police car etc. And now I've been educated that 50cc four stroke geared bikes still exist, I don't think the machine will go fast enough to attract too much attention, or make too much noise like 50's of 20years ago.

OP probably wants his daughter to feel safe and confident to ride urban roads without sitting in the gutter or getting vulnerable and scared. The 35-40mph that might be achievable could make the difference between being able to do this, especially if the restricted limiter is set at just under a true 30mph like some Chinese mopeds are.

I'd have still skipped the whole 50cc thing personally I think, but if it's OP's daughters choice to insist on a moped, maybe she'll get it out of her system in 12months of wet/rain/cold and be coming back to dad for a set of driving lessons and a hatchback next October?

There was a good thread on here once about a dad and his 16yr old son, who bought a cheap old but solid Jap 125 and spent a year restoring and rebuilding it for the kids 17th birthday, partly as a thank-you for the lad giving up his summer holidays to help his dad with stuff.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:32 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

andyscooter wrote:
to be fair op you may as well have bought a 125 if you are derestricting

laws broken will be the same Shocked

cant believe no one else said it Shocked Shocked

Well, not quite the same..

Getting insurance for a 16 year old on a 125 for the road, may well prove problematical.

However, whilst the bike will be my daughter's for the first 12months, from October, it's not the sole reason I got her a 50. Having a 50 means that the missus won't need to bother with a cbt again, she doesn't want a full license, so, she can also ride it.

It's also very light, can practically pick it up with 1 hand, so, it will be perfect for taking with the camper.

linuxyeti
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 07:44 - 30 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevo as b4 wrote:
Thing is Andy, that OP's daughter doesn't look the type to be pulling wheelies outside the chip shop past a police car etc.

Thumbs Up

stevo as b4 wrote:

OP probably wants his daughter to feel safe and confident to ride urban roads without sitting in the gutter or getting vulnerable and scared. The 35-40mph that might be achievable could make the difference between being able to do this, especially if the restricted limiter is set at just under a true 30mph like some Chinese mopeds are.

Thumbs Up

stevo as b4 wrote:

I'd have still skipped the whole 50cc thing personally I think, but if it's OP's daughters choice to insist on a moped, maybe she'll get it out of her system in 12months of wet/rain/cold and be coming back to dad for a set of driving lessons and a hatchback next October?

Not quite, she's used to riding pillion in crappy weather, even if only for fun, such as what the weather was like for December's toy run. As I said, she's been riding pillion since she was 2, when, at that time she was attached to me using a belt designed for use with snow mobiles in Canada..

https://cdn.bcf.44bytes.net/files/jinlun_jl-250-5_2006_10.jpg
Old Thread Alert!

There is a gap of 241 days between these two posts...

Copycat73
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 11:01 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

linuxyeti wrote:

she does also have decent bike trousers, and, as of yesterday a couple of pairs of kevlar armoured jeans Thumbs Up

but i thought the combination of doc martens and ripped jeans was quite eloquent ... even if it did take 241 days for me to realise that Rolling Eyes

grr666
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 11:45 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/uploads/cars/honda/4108795.jpg
It's certainly more of a looker than my first legal bike. At the time my mate who I spent many hours riding
around aimlessly with had a 1989 brand new Suzuki 50cc geared bike. I want to say GS50 but I'm not sure that's right. I
remember well how my SH50 would beat him on pull away every single time due to his 2 seconds long first gear and stay
ahead of him until about 25mph and then he would sail past me every single time due to having a top speed of about 40 odd.

Many happy, fun, daft, crazy, good times were had in the year I rode a 50. I'd bet I did more miles in that year on my 50
than I have in the last 4 combined on large capacity bikes. I wish I could find a pic of what my mate had but GS50 isn't turning up
much. It was a naked commuter style looking thing.

The Shaggy D.A.
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 13:45 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT50?

https://www.suzukicycles.org/photos/RG/RG50-GT50-X1-brochures/1979_GT50PS_NLsales1_600.jpg
Previously : CB100N > CB250RS > XJ900F > GT550 > GPZ750R/1000RX > AJS M16 > R100RT > Bullet 500 > CB500 > LS650P > Bullet Electra X & YBR125 > Bullet 350 "Superstar" & YBR125 Custom > Royal Enfield Classic 500 Despatch Limited Edition (28 of 200) & CB Two-Fifty Nighthawk > ER5

struan80
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:57 - 27 Dec 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fair play to your daughter, I like the bike and she looks great on it. My daughter wouldn't dream of getting a bike unfortunately, can't even get her pillion.
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 92 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Show & Tell All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3