Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

Weird battery conundrum

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop
View previous topic : View next topic  

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 16:27 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Weird battery conundrum Reply with quote

The lithium battery on my bike is acting weird it's reading 12-13 volts however when attached to the charger its reading at 25%.

Now I know the charger is good brand new and its working well on the scooter. Just wondered if anyone can explain what's going wrong with it.

Cheers
Sam.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 17:55 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

12-13 volts is not an accurate reading for a battery,
Also 25% of what?
Also a charger does not work on a scooter.
I suggest a fresh info.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:17 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
Also 25% of what?
I suggest a fresh info.

Ignore this fuckwit.

Does it carry 12v when the bike is not running and does it carry about 14-15 volts when the bike(!) is running?

Everything else is irrelevant.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:27 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nobby the Bastard wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:
Also 25% of what?
I suggest a fresh info.

Ignore this fuckwit.

Nobby the Bastards for Mod.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 19:28 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: Weird battery conundrum Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
lithium battery

is it a cheap piece of shit from Ebay or one that you bought from a reputable dealer?

I happened to have seen videos of lithium camera batteries exploding and blowing holes in the wall of the test chamber on Wedensday....

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 19:46 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

No it is very relevant. The charger is probably correct, assuming its not some cheap piece of shit that came with a cheap battery. Lithium needs to be within a very specific voltage range, all the time, which depends only on the type and number of cells. Bike regulators do not provide that.

I would avoid lithium until the japs start shipping it as standard and the regulators become available. I have not checked, I dont believe they are yet.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 20:05 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

kramdra wrote:
No it is very relevant. The charger is probably correct, assuming its not some cheap piece of shit that came with a cheap battery. Lithium needs to be within a very specific voltage range, all the time, which depends only on the type and number of cells. Bike regulators do not provide that.

I would avoid lithium until the japs start shipping it as standard and the regulators become available. I have not checked, I dont believe they are yet.

The guys who test them for my guys (two Qs involved) laughed their heads off when I said that people with bikes are using them and then pointed out that lithium ion tend to make a fireball when venting (as opposed to lithium polymer which tend to explode)

I did ask their advice on the subject and their didn't say fuck all about Japan, but they did say don't buy randowm ones from ebay/amazon but go to a reputable dealer and pay the extra.

I expect that smiler has a litium battery with just a positive and a negative and no way to charge individual cells.

bugeye_bob
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

What charger are you using on the Lithium battery ?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 21:04 - 21 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lithium batteries need to be maintained at operation voltage for most of their life.
If allowed to stand and the charge runs down they need to be topped up.
If not they will never reach full capacity again.
They may read 12 volts or whatever the sticker says but they only have a small amount of energy stored so will not last long.
Perhaps the charger is displaying capacity and not just voltage.

Hong Kong Phooey
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:25 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

The one to get is LiFePO4 - I've been running one for over a year and my meatballs are not yet barbequeued.

https://www.batterystuff.com/kb/articles/battery-articles/lithium-battery-overview.html

LiFePO4 (also known as Lithium Iron Phosphate) batteries are a huge improvement over lead acid in weight, capacity and shelf life. The LiFePO4 batteries are the safest type of Lithium batteries as they will not overheat, and even if punctured they will not catch on fire. The cathode material in LiFePO4 batteries is not hazardous, and so poses no negative health hazards or environmental hazards. Due to the oxygen being bonded tightly to the molecule, there is no danger of the battery erupting into flames like there is with Lithium-Ion. The chemistry is so stable that LiFePO4 batteries will accept a charge from a lead-acid configured charger. Though less energy-dense than the Lithium-Ion and Lithium Polymer, Iron and Phosphate are abundant and cheaper to extract so costs are much more reasonable. LiFePO4 life expectancy is approximately 5-7 years.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:15 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the late reply I'm in work. The battery is reading about 13v on charge and then 13.9v when off charge. It also stays at 13 volts when the bike is running at 2k revs. The charging system starts on my bike at 900-1k revs.

The battery itself is a JMT lithium ion. Whilst the charger is a noco genius g1100 that is suitable for normal and lithium. When charging the bike it's set onto the lithium 12v setting.

Nobby the Bastard
Harley Gaydar

PostPosted: 10:14 - 22 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
Sorry for the late reply I'm in work. The battery is reading about 13v on charge and then 13.9v when off charge. It also stays at 13 volts when the bike is running at 2k revs. The charging system starts on my bike at 900-1k revs.

Looks like you're getting no power from your alternator.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:37 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

"""" It also stays at 13 volts when the bike is running at 2k revs. """""
What more do you want?

kramdra
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 02:23 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
noco genius g1100 that is suitable for normal and lithium.

Its a piece of shit.

Quote:

12V Lithium Mode
Designed for charging lithium-ion batteries that include a battery maintenance system (BMS), including lithium iron phosphate batteries.

It is nothing more than a basic lead acid charger. The lithium charging is handled by the BMS.

If battery does expose the balance connections, a skyrc imax b6 is a good cheap option.

TheSmiler
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 08:10 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

jaffa90 wrote:
What more do you want?

I meant it didn't change I got the alternator out last night however and changed the rectifier for a use one. The bike is hitting 13.9 volts when running which is better than nothing. Still not close to the 14.5 i'd expect it to be getting.

jaffa90
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 10:19 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:
What more do you want?

I meant it didn't change I got the alternator out last night however and changed the rectifier for a use one. The bike is hitting 13.9 volts when running which is better than nothing. Still not close to the 14.5 i'd expect it to be getting.

Well done for sorting it.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 12:58 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

TheSmiler wrote:
jaffa90 wrote:
What more do you want?

You may have ground faults in the alternator.

It would need a megger to test the windings.

If there is any leakage then alternator output can be reduced.

Coz the juice is leaking to the frame.

Perhaps the regulator/rectifier fail is a sign that the alternator is gubbed.

Just sayin'.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XV6QlTwobLo
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 5 years, 341 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> The Workshop All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1