Resend my activation email : Register : Log in 
BCF: Bike Chat Forums

reporting accident to police but not insurance?

Reply to topic
Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
View previous topic : View next topic  

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 19:31 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: reporting accident to police but not insurance? Reply with quote

So I'm fucking fuming, I got rear ended on my brand new not even a month old Tracer on the way home from work.

Thankfully very minor shunt, looks like my number plate holder acted as an excellent crumple zone and rear facing spike to fuck his car up.

I don't want to get insurance involved because I don't want to have to declare yet another "no fault totally wont put your insurance up (but actually it will!) " claim come renewal time. If I have to pay £100 out of my pocket for a new mounting bracket then so be it. It'll be cheaper than losing out on insurance.

But the fucker didn't even attempt to stop, just looked at me sheepishly, I pulled over to inspect damage - he fucked off down the road. Caught it all on helmet cam, doddery old prick who should have stopped driving in the last millennium.

I've tried giving 101 a ring to enquire/report it, but the current waiting time is approximately "some time around the heat death of the known universe as we're busy dealing with emergency calls"

I don't want this prick to get away scot free, but I also dont want to get insurance involved. Will involving the police make them tell/ask my insurers? Am I better off just accepting the universe shafting me once again, forget about it and move on? Or should I find his details via askMID and firebomb his bungalow in his sleep?

https://i.imgur.com/4CNiAnp.png

look at this dopey old twat, clearly gives absolutely zero fucks. At least his car seems to have come off worse, the tracer number plate mount seems to make an excellent rear facing spike and has caved in his grill and smashed his plate off.

I know youre supposed to "report any incident even if a claim isnt being made" to your insurance, and I'd be a very naughty boy if I dont tell them. But I also dont want to be reamed by them again. But I'm also concerned that whilst I cant see any real damage, if I dont report it to my insurers and in a weeks time find the swing arm falls off or something, Ill be shit out of luck in terms of making a claim.

This is a ballache and a half :I
Beehive Bedlam This post is not being displayed because the poster has bad karma. Unhide this post / all posts.

M.C
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 19:50 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was he insured?. You can only get the name of the insurer (not the policy holder) off there, I think with the roadside just had a prang link*. I'd report it as you have footage, I don't believe it'll affect the insurance side, but I've only been in this situation with a work vehicle so I wasn't 100% in the loop.

*put in someone elses reg' rather than yours Wink

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 20:01 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah Ive checked MID he is showing as insured. I just really dont want to end up making myself worse off for doing the "right" thing.

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 20:29 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is not much to do with who is at fault.
If you make a Claim it is still a Claim.

You must Recover Your 'Uninsured Loss'. (The excess you agreed to pay when you purchased your policy.)
When it is decided the third party is 'At Fault' you can then recover your loss from their insurers.

And it is still an accident that you were involved in so statistically you present a higher risk of a Claim on an insurer.
Same as if you lived in a high motor crime area then premiums are adjusted to reflect the extra risk even though you never make a claim. 😔

Ste
Not Work Safe

PostPosted: 20:32 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report to plod.

Aky208
Nova Slayer

PostPosted: 20:38 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report to plod!

Also I think (do your research first though) you can go through his insurance company to make a claim and not involve yours! Not done it myself and only heard it on the grape vine though.

Suntan Sid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:42 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Re: reporting accident to police but not insurance? Reply with quote

Tierbirdy wrote:
I don't want this prick to get away scot free.................

Report to plod, failing to stop at scene of accident, hand over only the important 20 secs of video.
If they can be bothered, which is highly unlikely these days, they might prosecute!

Freddyfruitba...
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 20:45 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was recently involved with a similar 'hit and run', the difference being that the damage was done to my Mum's garden wall rather than my vehicle. In the absence of any injury, or proof that the offender had deliberately fled the scene, Plod weren't bothered about prosecuting at all. Eventually they found out the name of the business who owned the vehicle, and after they'd spoken to them, provided me with the business details, the name and DOB of the driver in question, and the vehicle insurer and policy number. (After that, the episode was resolved between my mum and the insurer direct).

So - from my experience, I wouldn't expect the insurers to become involved simply as a result of you contacting PoPo. They might conceivably be more interested in having a go at the driver because it looks like you've got video evidence of what he did. But somehow, I can't see the police simply handing over the name and address of an old bloke to an angry, wronged biker, can you? Maybe they'd just give you his insurer (and then you'd be in the 'system'). I imagine that if you are able to make direct contact with him, the driver is going to be as anxious as you are to not to involve his insurer and would be keen to hand over £££ to avoid having to do so.

Tricky one.

Edit: a long shot maybe, but is there any mileage in staking out the road in question at the same time of day, in the hope of spotting him and following him home? He looks like a commuter to me...

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 21:33 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Report to plod as you are obliged to do, get a crime number, get your complaint to professional standards in early when they NFA it.

Why would they contact your insurer, or give any information to them?

If you want compo for your bike / a ding against his doubtless protected NCD, contact his insurer directly (via the MIB above) with your footage. They'll pay out, but then you're on the cartel's system.

stephen_o
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 21:46 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

He has more to lose than you. "failing to report an accident" "failing to stop and exchange details". Your the wronged party. Unless your fully comp then he is liable for your repair as a third party - report it to the popo, they will pay him a visit and get his details if you don't get them from the databases, don't contact your own insurer unless you are comp and want them to repair your damage, just go direct to his.

waffles
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 22:18 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

He didn’t care about you at all, otherwise he would have checked to make sure you were ok. Grass him up!

st3v3
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 23:00 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police don't tell insurance only check there is a policy, they have no need to but he definitely needs reporting.

MCN wrote:

And it is still an accident that you were involved in so statistically you present a higher risk of a Claim on an insurer.
This really bloody bugs me, it's not true, statically or not! Being at the damage end of an accident by simply being there does not make you a higher risk unless you're camped in the same spot every day and make yourself vulnerable to each new motorist that comes along.

It's partially blaming the non fault party for the fault party being careless enough to cause the accident. Bullshit.

Tierbirdy
Spanner Monkey

PostPosted: 23:06 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Grassing him up it is then,

needless to say the metplod site for reporting it online is totally useless and doesnt work, so now spending forever on hold to 101

stinkwheel
Bovine Proctologist

PostPosted: 23:17 - 23 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the plod and get your oar in before he realises how much a new grill is going to cost him and/or he is called by a speculative claims company "Yes I have been involved in an accident, however did you know?".

Before you know it, the location and circumstances of the accident will have been changed and the police will be asking YOU why you didn't report recklessly reversing into his car, while doing a wheelie, resulting in a hurty neck for the poor old gent...

talkToTheHat
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 01:28 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is he wearing reading glasses in that picture or have they just slipped off his face a bit?

MCN
Super Spammer

PostPosted: 03:53 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

st3v3 wrote:
Police don't tell insurance only check there is a policy, they have no need to but he definitely needs reporting.

MCN wrote:

This really bloody bugs me, it's not true, statically or not! Being at the damage end of an accident by simply being there does not make you a higher risk unless you're camped in the same spot every day and make yourself vulnerable to each new motorist that comes along.

It's partially blaming the non fault party for the fault party being careless enough to cause the accident. Bullshit.

R U 4 Reel? Smile

If you are involved in an accident you do not become un-involved because you never caused it.

Do you get it now?

I know it seems unfair but it is how shite works. Sad

I never built my house upon the sand but the tide came in and washed it away so was it my risk or what?

P.
Red Rocket

PostPosted: 08:31 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd chuck him to police for hit and run or failing to stop. Say you have footage, don't give it yet though Wink

He will deny it, you drop said footage.. watch him squirm. I'd not notify insurance personally.

101 gets me an answer in <2 mins. Try again.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail You must be logged in to rate posts

Bozzy.
Scooby Slapper

PostPosted: 12:03 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paddy. wrote:
I'd chuck him to police for hit and run or failing to stop. Say you have footage, don't give it yet though Wink

He will deny it, you drop said footage.. watch him squirm. I'd not notify insurance personally.

101 gets me an answer in <2 mins. Try again.

^^^this

Don’t do the old cock any favours. He’s rear ended you, caused £Xxx’s worth of damage to your bike + injured you for all he knows, and then driven off without a care in the world.

Fuck him, ring police inform of hit and run then claim off of his insurance. Don’t forget whiplash doesn’t always show at first, it may be that you’re suffering a fair bit in a few weeks. I’d bear this in mind if you don’t go down the insurance route.

Fizzoid
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 12:14 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

stinkwheel wrote:
Go to the plod and get your oar in before he realises how much a new grill is going to cost him and/or he is called by a speculative claims company "Yes I have been involved in an accident, however did you know?".

Before you know it, the location and circumstances of the accident will have been changed and the police will be asking YOU why you didn't report recklessly reversing into his car, while doing a wheelie, resulting in a hurty neck for the poor old gent...

This in a nutshell!

As others have said, report to plod, but up to you if you want to go though the insurance, plod won't force you, only confirm he's insured.

When I was forced off winter before last, I had the same issue trying to report it, couldn't get through to anyone so left a message so they could call me back

4 days after calling them they finally did. When I told the pissy bitch the date of my accident she started giving me grief asking why I hadn't reported it sooner. I explained that I'd tried, and asked why they hadn't gotten back to me sooner

She didn't really like that, so 'suggested' I should have reported it the same day. She again, became quite agitated when I explained that the local hospital didn't allow me to make calls from the x-ray department, and after 6 1/2 hours in A&E and taking medication, my main priority was sleep. Don't think she was too impressed when I asked for her full name either, so I could report her for her attitude, as I was the victim in all this

TL:DR
After reporting the incident, guy called me and confirmed the guy who forced me off was insured, if I wanted to claim for my damages that way...

mikester
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:46 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Police won't tell insurance. Get it reported, there be some offences there driver shouldn't be getting away with.

May be a massive longshot but if it were to go to prosecution against driver however unlikely... make sure you ask to complete an MG19 with Police for compensation so you're not out of pocket for repairing damage to your bike.

mikester
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 12:50 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Assuming you're not behind a VPN:

https://www.met.police.uk/report/report-a-road-traffic-incident/

Rogerborg
nimbA

PostPosted: 14:12 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikester wrote:
MG19

"It is important that you provide us with details of your insurance company so we can liaise with them during the prosecution" Tut Tut

mikester
Trackday Trickster

PostPosted: 15:06 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rogerborg wrote:
mikester wrote:
MG19

"It is important that you provide us with details of your insurance company so we can liaise with them during the prosecution" Tut Tut

Up to you if you fill that part in, I'd only fill in the section about losses/damages and leave the others.

Most likely end up with a Community Resolution anyway.

Hawkeye1250FA
World Chat Champion

PostPosted: 15:09 - 24 Apr 2018    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always ring plod to confirm you witnessed a hit and run...

And could they provide you with the chaps address so you can send the poor victim some video footage you have of it.

Whistle
Old Thread Alert!

The last post was made 6 years, 3 days ago. Instead of replying here, would creating a new thread be more useful?
This page may contain affiliate links, which means we may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. By clicking on an affiliate link, you accept that third-party cookies will be set.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Bike Chat Forums Index -> Dear Auntie BCF... All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3